• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Boy and The Heron releases to critical and fan acclaims

Draugoth

Gold Member
the_boy_and_the_heron_cartazes__0n07t29-1210x544.jpeg

0EvE98Q.png

m3BlkbW.png

Movie Info​

A young boy named Mahito yearning for his mother ventures into a world shared by the living and the dead. There, death comes to an end, and life finds a new beginning. A semi-autobiographical fantasy about life, death, and creation, in tribute to friendship, from the mind of Hayao Miyazaki.

• Rating: PG-13 (Some Violent Content|Smoking|Bloody Images)
  • Genre: Fantasy, Adventure, Anime
  • Original Language: Japanese
  • Director: Hayao Miyazaki
  • Producer: Toshio Suzuki
  • Writer: Hayao Miyazaki
  • Release Date (Theaters): Dec 8, 2023 wide
  • Runtime: 2h 4m
  • Distributor: GKIDS
  • Production Co: Studio Ghibli, Toho Company, Hakuhodo DY Media Partners, Nippon Television Network
  • Sound Mix: Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital
  • Aspect Ratio: Flat (1.85:1)

Rran

Great, I love Ghibli stuff. Although I'm expecting something about average for Miyazaki for some reason (which should still be quite good).

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Every movie Miyazaki movie gets worshipped even if its trash. Can't believe we're at the point of subbed anime trailers in mainstream releases. Hunger Games prequel had a subbed trailer for this and honestly.... Looks better than most of his last few movies.

Majormaxxx

It's not? I was planning to take my 8 and 6 year old, nothing in the trailer looked particularly intense?
There's a scene of self harm by a kid. There is a subplot of losing a family member. I don't think they will be traumatized or anything. There's no gore or bloody violence. But the psychological undertones are a bit intense for kids under 10-11 in my opinion. That being said, one of the messages is for kids to shed the absolute selfishness that is particular to a certain part of the childhood. So it's not like it's not meant to educate children, but probably not very young children. As a contrast something like mononoke, is ij my opinion, despite the violence, fine for kids.

LordOfChaos

Not sure why they decided to make the Japanese translated name more generic, but glad this seems to be well received, I'm sure I'll watch it eventually

Majormaxxx

Not sure why they decided to make the Japanese translated name more generic, but glad this seems to be well received, I'm sure I'll watch it eventually
The title in Japanese is the exact title of a popular Japanese book. It's NOT based on the book but it's like an alternate universe connected to the book and both movie and book share similar values. Also, the protagonist finds the book in the movie. I guess in English the Japanese title wasn't catchy. Plus this book is not known outside of Japan..

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Going to see this and Godzilla both on Thursday. Super excited!

Saber

Gold Member
There's a scene of self harm by a kid. There is a subplot of losing a family member. I don't think they will be traumatized or anything. There's no gore or bloody violence. But the psychological undertones are a bit intense for kids under 10-11 in my opinion.

From what you say, this looks like old Disney level of "intense". Just like Mufassa death scene or that villain dying on Tarzan.

Majormaxxx

From what you say, this looks like old Disney level of "intense". Just like Mufassa death scene or that villain dying on Tarzan.
Maybe just a bit more intense. I really think this movie is the most "real" of his works, psychologically, in terms of what Miyazaki wanted to convey. It's partially based on what he went through as a young boy.

I looked up the ratings - Lion King 1994 is G (general audience) and this one is pg 13 (parental guidance for kids under 13). I agree with this.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What a beautiful, very unique film.

Rran

Saw this last night, it was good. A few moments are pretty out there and left me scratching my head, but I enjoyed the story and themes overall. And of course it looked and sounded great.

I'd put it around Nausicaa or The Wind Rises in terms of kid-appropriateness. It has a couple kind of graphic moments (some bleeding from a self-inflicted wound, and the butchering of a giant fish which is a little rough but also quirky and kind of funny) but I think the subject matter may not interest younger kids as much. 11 or 12 might be a good age, it depends on the kid.

Absolutely loved this movie. Have been thinking about it since seeing it on Saturday. Music and visuals were peak Ghibli. And I really loved where the story went, even if the plot itself wasn't always super coherent.

Can't wait to get super baked for my rewatch once it is out on blu ray. Been itching for a Ghibli marathon since seeing it.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
It's not? I was planning to take my 8 and 6 year old, nothing in the trailer looked particularly intense?
Less a matter of intensity than the fact that the movie is pretty dreamlike and layered, and might just be over their heads.

I saw it and enjoyed it. I wouldn't say it's one of my favorite Ghibli films, but it is probably the best animated, just so beautiful. It's very heady, but it didn't quite land for me emotionally the way some old Ghibli movies did.

Brought my 9 year old, who has seen and loved quite a few Ghibli movies before, and she enjoyed it quite a bit, but did mention she liked Godzilla more.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
Was low tier Miyazaki for me. Still enjoyable though.
I think you are pretty harsh, even though i guess low tier Myiazaki is still highest tier animation.
I took it as some kind of last Hurrah from the master, and found it enjoyable that way. All the archetypes and symbols he created during all his years are found some way or another in this. It's like a medley of his greatest hits, with a reorchestration so it is not the same as the stuff we know.

It might not be enough for someone who was waiting for something new, but lets face it Miyazaki is 110 years old, that he was able to do this movie is already a feat in and of itself.

I don't recommand the movie for a newcomer at all though, if you don't have Myiazaki's vocabulary you're gonna get lost and it won't be pleasant.

Less a matter of intensity than the fact that the movie is pretty dreamlike and layered, and might just be over their heads.
You are extremely right, i had a dude with two less than 10 yo children behind me during the movie, they did not like it at all. It is too complex and deals with thematics that are not understable by children.

All in all the movie is a five bagger, but on a more personal not i want to give it a "go watch every Miyazaki movie then this one and you'll like it"/10

Chittagong

Gold Member
I really want to see this on our Auckland layover. Kiwis are weird, they can’t have you book a movie two weeks in advance. Supposedly they decide every week that they feel like screening the following week.

TransTrender

Gold Member
I saw this today with my wife and I did not like this film. Neither did she.
Two hours and a lot of "stuff" in the service of ultimately nothing.

The most challenging part of the film was holding my piss because I figured some pivotal thing would happen to tie this all together and I didn't want to miss it...but it never happened.

Once the credits rolled, in comic sans no less, I told my wife I loved her and bolted out to take a furious whizz.

The theater was mostly bewildered.

Saw it with subtitles.
I've seen all the Studio Ghibli stuff along with tons of other anime and Japanese films and this was not a well executed film.

It didn't even look well animated compared to stuff from the past. Background art wasn't amazing and key art looked pretty bad with uncharacteristically bold and flat colors with very thick black lines.

Ugh.

Read the Themes section from the Wiki and everything mentioned there is not well conveyed in the film, yes it was there, but very surface level and no other logic, scenes, plot, or character development to make any of it mean anything.

AJUMP23

As films go and animation it is beautiful. As stories go it is ok. I am glad the ending turned out well because I took my kids with me. They enjoyed it the youngest 9 said it was long. He is right. It goes places. It takes its time getting there. Parakeets being what they were is never really set up in my opinion.

I enjoyed it but it isn’t my favorite.

Deft Beck

I liked it, but the movie is very abstract. I spoke with the group I went with and one person said a lot of the symbolism is based on Japanese mythology; for example, herons are like the Grim Reaper, and parakeets are symbols of life. It's like Spirited Away in that regard. Still, Spirited Away is a lot easier to follow.

I see the movie as a final salute by Miyazaki. I felt sad when
the tower master offered Mahito dominion over his world, and Mahito refused, whereupon the greedy Parakeet King destroyed the world. It's obvious that this is a metaphor for Goro and the rest of Ghibli's leadership, and I fear for the company after Hayao finally passes. This must be why he doesn't want to retire.

Go and see it if you like Miyazaki in general, but it's moreso a summation of his whole life and career than a wholly original story. Kids definitely won't understand it.

Last edited:

Rat Rage

My verdict: the movie sucks. I'm a massive Ghibli fan, but I couldn't like it. I tried, but I couldn't. I didn't like the story, I didn't care for nor felt the symbolism. Didn't like the main character (who was too fucking stoic/emotionless) as well as the supporting characters. Movie had a terrible flow of confusing and unappealing scenes.

It felt dreamy, but not in a good way: It felt like a fever dream. I'd say, it's the weakest Ghibli movie and doesn't want to watch it ever again.

bender

What time is it?
I liked it, but the movie is very abstract. I spoke with the group I went with and one person said a lot of the symbolism is based on Japanese mythology; for example, herons are like the Grim Reaper, and parakeets are symbols of life. It's like Spirited Away in that regard. Still, Spirited Away is a lot easier to follow.

I see the movie as a final salute by Miyazaki. I felt sad when
the tower master offered Mahito dominion over his world, and Mahito refused, whereupon the greedy Parakeet King destroyed the world. It's obvious that this is a metaphor for Goro and the rest of Ghibli's leadership, and I fear for the company after Hayao finally passes. This must be why he doesn't want to retire.

Go and see it if you like Miyazaki in general, but it's moreso a summation of his whole life and career than a wholly original story. Kids definitely won't understand it.

While I've never finished Spirited Away, it is the exact vibes I got from The Boy and the Heron.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
It felt dreamy, but not in a good way: It felt like a fever dream. I'd say, it's the weakest Ghibli movie and doesn't want to watch it ever again.
Ghibli have released some stinkers in recent years, some by Miyazaki, you telling me this is by far the worst of them all even the ones from Miyazaki's own son?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Got to see this today in Auckland. So happy that it was shown here since we only get a couple of weeks out of Polynesia this winter, and Ghibli films are not on the Papeete screening circuit. My impressions
  • In my mind, this was the deepest of Miyazaki films, this film will require several rewatches to peel the many layers
  • Several absolutely iconic scenes, like the fish / frogs singing, the fish being gutted, the white pillow animals flying. We just turned to look at each other with my wife when these stunning scenes came up, knowing both of us felt that the scene is something special
  • I really enjoyed the realistic depictions before it all went mental. So many mundane everyday details are so vividly presented, like the guy wobbling with the rickshaw, the boy pushing against the mattress, the backpack…
  • Film did feel like a fever dream, in an Inland Empire kind of way. It would have been satisfying if the boy was actually having this crazy dream after fighting with class mates
  • Pacing was a bit slow, especially the backend of the film. So not an easy watch.
  • Generally, the film was stunning and surprising, but lacked the ’hook’ that many other Ghilbli films seem to have
EJJkHUw.jpg

Last edited:

Doom85

Man, I really don’t vibe with Miyazaki/Ghibli on the level a lot of people do. Sure, I think he’s made a few solid films (Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Lupin the 3rd: Castle of Cagliostro though that last one he did pre-Ghibli), but Howl’s Moving Castle was just okay (final act lost me, especially as it greatly differed from the book), and Ponyo was below average and forgettable. I couldn’t even finish Totoro.

People can post that mistranslated “quote” of Miyazaki all they want, but as far as I’m concerned, there’s a ton of anime outside of Ghibli that’s better than a good deal of their stuff.

But this new film, DAMN. Now the first half hour was slower than it needed to be. I’m fine with a slow pace that works, but this genuinely felt drawn out unnecessarily. But once the proper adventure began, my eyes were glued to the screen. This is the kind of imagination and strangeness that had been lacking in their weaker films for me. The characters were fun, the world was brilliant with just the right amount of detail and explanation, the pacing was on point, and the story wasn’t too unique but had enough of its own identity and themes to stay with me.

So fuck yeah, I legit loved the new Ghibli film. Finally, after disagreeing with Ghibli fans on quite a few of their takes especially as they seem to simp for anything Miyazaki puts out there, this is one film I can be on the same page as them. Can’t wait to see how much everyone else loved this fi-

I saw this today with my wife and I did not like this film. Neither did she.
Two hours and a lot of "stuff" in the service of ultimately nothing.
My verdict: the movie sucks. I'm a massive Ghibli fan, but I couldn't like it. I tried, but I couldn't. I'd say, it's the weakest Ghibli movie and doesn't want to watch it ever again.
Was low tier Miyazaki for me.

Doc Rivers Basketball GIF
Sad Arrested Development GIF

Pejo

My gf is a huge fan of Ghibli stuff, her favorites being Totoro and Howl's Moving Castle. I enjoy the films, but outside of the clear mastery in animation and technique, I wouldn't say I've ever been a mega fan or anything.

We went to see this a few days ago, and I was initially very impressed by the fire animation near the beginning, but then for 2/3 of the movie afterwards, I felt like the art and scenario was very pedestrian. I also echo the sentiment that others have described in that the movie never comes together at the end to explain what the fuck was going on. I felt that the last 1/3 of the movie when it really started moving was just a big mess in terms of storytelling, and it had an extremely unsatisfying ending. Nobody likes it when something is so open to interpretation that you never get payoffs of all of the little nudges and winks thrown throughout the whole movie. Like why wasn't he supposed to touch the old obasan statues? What was the consequence when he did touch one? What was the connection with the bird theme? At what point did his mother realize who the MC was? What did the stone blocks represent? What was the significance of the labor room? Why was feeding fish to the ghosts mandatory to make them fly and be born? Why did the pelicans attack him in front of the cave? What was in the cave? Why did they make a big deal about backing up away from it and not looking back?

Maybe I could definitively answer a few of those with subsequent rewatches, but a lot of that is gonna be up to interpretation of the viewer, and it's just too much and happened too frequently. Like they were setting up a trilogy then just cut its balls off and ended it in 1. I heard that some of it can be explained with Japanese mythology but boy that's a pretty big ask considering I've been a weeb for like 15 years now and most of that stuff left me lost and confused as fuck.

When we left the theater, we both agreed that it felt more like a fever dream than any sort of actual story, and half of me wonders if they didn't mean to have it resolve as "he actually gave himself brain damage when he bashed himself with the rock and has been dreaming this whole thing ever since" but chickened out at the last minute because it's a shit trope.

Toons

I loved this film truly but part of me understands why some may not.

I found it majestic and heartfelt

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
My gf is a huge fan of Ghibli stuff, her favorites being Totoro and Howl's Moving Castle. I enjoy the films, but outside of the clear mastery in animation and technique, I wouldn't say I've ever been a mega fan or anything.

We went to see this a few days ago, and I was initially very impressed by the fire animation near the beginning, but then for 2/3 of the movie afterwards, I felt like the art and scenario was very pedestrian. I also echo the sentiment that others have described in that the movie never comes together at the end to explain what the fuck was going on. I felt that the last 1/3 of the movie when it really started moving was just a big mess in terms of storytelling, and it had an extremely unsatisfying ending. Nobody likes it when something is so open to interpretation that you never get payoffs of all of the little nudges and winks thrown throughout the whole movie. Like why wasn't he supposed to touch the old obasan statues? What was the consequence when he did touch one? What was the connection with the bird theme? At what point did his mother realize who the MC was? What did the stone blocks represent? What was the significance of the labor room? Why was feeding fish to the ghosts mandatory to make them fly and be born? Why did the pelicans attack him in front of the cave? What was in the cave? Why did they make a big deal about backing up away from it and not looking back?

Maybe I could definitively answer a few of those with subsequent rewatches, but a lot of that is gonna be up to interpretation of the viewer, and it's just too much and happened too frequently. Like they were setting up a trilogy then just cut its balls off and ended it in 1. I heard that some of it can be explained with Japanese mythology but boy that's a pretty big ask considering I've been a weeb for like 15 years now and most of that stuff left me lost and confused as fuck.

When we left the theater, we both agreed that it felt more like a fever dream than any sort of actual story, and half of me wonders if they didn't mean to have it resolve as "he actually gave himself brain damage when he bashed himself with the rock and has been dreaming this whole thing ever since" but chickened out at the last minute because it's a shit trope.
Exactly.
Honestly, permanent brain damage would make sense if he actually tried to kill himself at that one part, for being soo miserable and now he has to live with his Aunt after his mom died and his dad fucked your mom's sister and are having a baby you need to call a brother. All happening within a year. So your dad was always thirsting for your Aunt.

And much more can be asked but it's not worth it because it will never make any sense.
Space rock significance? None. Any mysticism or magic? Nope. Just a thing that happened.
Why was the grand uncle in there, and why did a bloodline matter? I can imagine a bunch of scenarios here, but it's not really like anyone in the family is actually benefiting from this scenario.
Why did the Aunt walk in to the forest in the first place? It seemed unprompted. Some would say depression from her estranged nephew, but the boy was quiet and well behaved otherwise and didn't want to cause any trouble.
Significance of the mom disappearing for a year like and then came back like nothing happened? Like didn't even age? None.
Existence of the man in the heron? What was his curse to be in the position, or what would be his reward for helping the grand uncle? What was his 'creation' moment, or any agency for anything he did?
The parakeets again: Who were they actually eating in there? And it's not like it's directly relating to creation.
Parakeet King: Just another random thing of nothing for nothing but only plot movement.
Everything about the old granny in crazy land.
Fever dream.

Last edited:
Okay film, the first half not much happens, but what struck me as odd is the complete lack of any real audio for long sequences, not even any music. Almost like the dubbed version fucked up and lost an entire audio track or something. Could just hear people trying to quietly chew popcorn for like 30% of the film.

Doom85

Okay film, the first half not much happens, but what struck me as odd is the complete lack of any real audio for long sequences, not even any music. Almost like the dubbed version fucked up and lost an entire audio track or something. Could just hear people trying to quietly chew popcorn for like 30% of the film.

IIRC that’s just how the movie was, I saw the subbed version and I recall some quiet/slow scenes in the first act had little to no music.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
I wasn’t impressed and am honestly surprised so many people like it here.

One thing of note is I’m not sure how to feel about using a tragedy that killed millions to kick start your fantasy film about a boy who started hallucinating after he gave himself a concussion. WW2 was totally superfluous to the “plot” in the film. Though no doubt someone will have a rationale about how deep it is.

DKehoe

I wasn’t impressed and am honestly surprised so many people like it here.

One thing of note is I’m not sure how to feel about using a tragedy that killed millions to kick start your fantasy film about a boy who started hallucinating after he gave himself a concussion. WW2 was totally superfluous to the “plot” in the film. Though no doubt someone will have a rationale about how deep it is.
The film seemed to be drawing on a lot of autobiographical elements. Miyazaki was born during The Second World War, his father worked for a company that built fighter planes and his family evacuated from Tokyo to the countryside as the bombing intensified.

Obviously it’s a subjective thing but I don’t think it treated the subject of the war in a frivolous way.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
The film seemed to be drawing on a lot of autobiographical elements. Miyazaki was born during The Second World War, his father worked for a company that built fighter planes and his family evacuated from Tokyo to the countryside as the bombing intensified.

Obviously it’s a subjective thing but I don’t think it treated the subject of the war in a frivolous way.

Thank you for that. That's quite enlightening.

Top Bottom