• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best and worst drivers in the US by city metro area, 2017 edition

Couleurs

Glad to see Denver recognized with its rightful place in the top 10 worst drivers.

It's like the perfect shitstorm of bad drivers thanks to the population boom/people bringing bad habits from their home states:
-California transplants who are completely unable to drive in snow, in a city that can get snow anytime between September through May.
-Texas transplants in their lifted trucks, tailgating and whipping across lanes as they roll coal on hybrids
-Colorado natives going 10 below the speed limit in the passing lane, complaining about everyone else going too fast
-Everyone running red lights
-Everyone stopping in the merge lane instead of actually merging

My stress level is so much lower now that I take the light rail to work instead of joining the clusterfuck on I-25.

Omadahl

Banned
Oh yeah! Go Omaha! Every time I drive there are at least a dozen cars with drivers on their phones. I honk at then incessantly. The crazy thing is that it isn't teenagers, it's middle aged women driving SUVs.

Edit: our cops are also too busy giving tickets to stop actual crimes. I don't think North Omaha even has a police presence.

Cuburt

Not surprising to see Southern California topping the list for many reasons, but I'm surprised to see San Diego so high. Having lived in that area for several years, I personally thought it was one of the better places in SoCal when it came to my driving experiences, especially compared to many other metro areas in SoCal where there is more traffic with more aggressive, stupid, and reckless drivers and worse roads, but hey, I suppose compared to the rest of the country, California is all pretty bad.

Can't wait for automated cars.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I've driven in 13 of the top 20 and I am not surprised that SLC is #2 (personally I would put it #1). I was genuinely startled by how aggressive and awful the drivers are

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Teenagers in Detroit drive better than adults in most other places people start driving really young like junior high age.

Poppy

i mean as crazy as massholes are i dont consider the boston region as bad drivers because at least they just get things done. though they dont know that cars have turn signals there so you do gotta watch out

dhlt25

lol Honolulu on the best list. I had to look twice to make sure it's not a mistake. Drivers in hawaii are terrible

jfkgoblue

Used to live in Virginia Beach, knew they would be on this list before I even checked.

Also coming from Michigan (probably the best drivers in the country) it was jarring.

I've had my car about 7 months and I've already been hit four times. All four times was the other driver running into me. All of them while I'm at a complete stop. Two was while I was waiting at a traffic light while it was red. One while I was parked in a parking spot. I'm in Los Angeles. -_-

Thank goodness all of them are minor.

theWB27

As a Florida resident and driver for 18yrs. I can assure you this list is complete bull shit.

Visited the kissimmmmeee area in florida and after driving there I'd rather be in rush hour traffic in La. They were infuriating.

I thought Indy would be higher... We roll out.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Houston is in the top 20 because everyone is equally insane.

the driving equivalent of

tumblr_nyd6gz81ak1s9y3qio2_500.gif

?

HoodWinked

the methodology is completely wrong.

iWKad22.jpg

speeding tickets is a bad indicator for bad drivers could be that the speed limits are strict or police departments focus too heavily on fund raising. or have such bad traffic that speeding isn't even possible.

also other forms of ticketing could be just that that state has much higher coverage of red light camera in intersections.

also some cities are horribly planned and probably more to blame for some accidents than the relative skill of the driver.

Synless

Having come from Grand Rapids, MI to Columbus, OH I can confirm OH drivers are fucking pricks and suck ass at driving.

Grew up in the Detroit metro area and I remember the driving test there being super extensive, took about 1 1/2 hours to complete the driving portion. When I moved to LA a few years ago, I transferred my license over and it was laughably bad at what they considered the driving test out here. Literally watched a car drive around the block once and that was it. LA drivers are the worst and it's easy to see why.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
El Paso best in texas hell yea

Pretty surprising considering everyone here drinks and there is no good public transport.

IrishNinja

Miami? Best drivers? Are they fucking high?

Miami is #4 in best drivers?!?!

That's some bullshit right there.

Florida with the best drivers? Miami? FUCKING MIAMI? Ahahahahahahahahaha

From this list, I've learned that Orlando and Miami Florida officers need to be ticketing more

the best thing i can say about MIA drivers is that, honestly, we should have way more accidents/death than we even do, with all the recklessness

For fucking real. Miami drivers are the worst.

Yeah this list is a crock of shit. Driving in Miami is a scary experience.

Something good about Florida?.......

miami's food & women >>>>>>>>>

Dr. Worm

Banned
Providence, RI doesn't do speed traps. People drive reasonably fast on the highways, and it's probably better for that.

I've literally never heard a person say "my city has good drivers" which leads me to believe that, even at their best, people are just universally bad at driving cars.

Yeah, this.

SLC checks out. It'd be #1 if mormons drank.
Article says it has a lot to do with speeding, which is true. When the speed limit changes from 85 to 65, people don't slow down lol. Hell it's rare to see people driving below 80 most of the time on the freeway, regardless of speed limits.

Jarmel

Banned
That Baton Rouge one is bullshit. I stayed there for five months last year and they have the worst drivers I've ever seen.

.la1n

Not surprised to see a few NC cities on the list. Easily the most frustrating state I've had the displeasure of commuting in. What's a turn signal?

Jarmel

Banned
Not surprised to see a few NC cities on the list. Easily the most frustrating state I've had the displeasure of commuting in. What's a turn signal?
I've somewhat lived in Durham the past few years and it's by far the best city I've ever lived in when it comes to traffic and drivers. The reason it probably made this list is due to cops in NC being gungho about speeding tickets nowadays.

Falchion

Shout out to Virginia Beach making the worst list! My friends here always complain about how bad the drivers are so I guess they are justified.

maxcriden

It's beautiful. Just expensive :). And also if you are single it can be a tough town, very materialistic and superficial culture here. But climate-wise it's near perfect.

Thanks for your reply! It is definitely the climate we are most interested in, and we have loved visiting there previously. We live in the South currently but have previously lived in LA which is crazy pricy also so we figure SD is a little cheaper (I think) and definitely cheaper than places like SF. (But please correct me if that's not the case.) Sucks to hear it is materialistic and superficial - I figure it can't possibly be more so than LA, though, and we still enjoyed living there despite that. (But again, please do correct me if you've found it more superficial than LA, because I would definitely want to know that!)

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Best 20:
1 Detroit, MI
2 Providence, RI
3 Orlando, FL
4 Miami, FL
5 Little Rock, AR
6 Allentown, PA
7 Baton Rouge, LA
8 Las Vegas, NV
9 Tulsa, OK
10 Birmingham, AL
11 Honolulu, HI
12 El Paso, TX
13 Louisville, KY
14 Grand Rapids, MI
15 Knoxville, TN
16 Houston, TX
17 Indianapolis, IN
18 Buffalo, NY
19 Philadelphia, PA
20 Lexington, KY

Baton Rouge #7 for best? LOL, I can tell you that isn't the case.

McBryBry

Hard to have too many problems when every connecting interstate is under construction 24/7. Seriously, I've never driven through St. Louis and not run into mounds of lane closures and orange barrels.
Well, you aren't wrong lol. The past week and a half on 270 has been 'UNEVEN LANES' for miles.

NightOnyx

I live in Greenville, and I can confirm it sucks. People are terrible drivers here and the massive construction going on at the 85 and 385 interchange is not helping things.

Still though, as someone that grew up in central Florida, how in the world is Orlando one of the best? Also, how is Atlanta not near the top of the worst? Those cities make Greenville seem like an easy Sunday drive.

messiaen

I moved from Columbus to Los Angeles. Can confirm they're both bad, but I honestly think Columbus is worse. The frequency of other people nearly causing an accident was way higher there for me, personally.

Top Bottom