• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best and worst drivers in the US by city metro area, 2017 edition

D.C. should be on that worst list, top 5 at least.

Maryland drivers that come into town from the suburbs are fucking psychos because they're unaccustomed to driving through the city's tighter, more congested infrastructure. Crosswalks don't mean shit to them.

Then you have the Virginia drivers who're always in a frenzy to get the hell out of town after work every day before 395 turns into gridlock hell.

Atlanta not being in there undersells just how bad Atlanta traffic is.

I drove on 285 during rush hour once. Once. Easily the most stressful hour and a half of my life.

It's not surprising Detroit has the lowest accident rate at all. Entire streets sit empty for days. Minor traffic incidents likely go completely unnoticed and unreported in large portions of the city.
Yeah, I laughed when I saw that. The city's streets are like echoey canyons with no cars in them.

Surprised by the results. An Auto Insurance industry trade group released a report 2 years ago that listed Worcester, MA., Boston, MA., Providence, RI., and Hartford, CT., as 4 of the top 10 worst drivers or worst cities in the country to drive in, with Worcester and Boston being worst.

Most of the data was compiled from accidents, and less from tickets/etc., and it made sense because Worcester and Boston are two cities with typically terrible weather for driving, notoriously poor street design, and a reputation for being bad drivers.

Surprised to see Boston down lower than the top 10, and especially surprised to see Providence near the 10 best.

120v

Houston in the best 20 list?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

i've never seen such disregard for human life than driving through houston. even a 2 min drive to the grocery you see the derpiest things, like somebody passing 4 lanes at the last minute to exit, some jackass revving past 70 mph when a red stoplight is in clear view, ect

its the Dark Souls of driving etiquette

Doodis

I mean, I knew drivers here in Salt Lake were pretty terrible, but #2 in the nation? Well, yeah, I guess that makes sense...

I was for sure #1 was going to be Salt Lake City. Grew up there and still split about half my time between SLC and SF. God has a plan for everyone so I can fly across 4 lanes of the freeway to hit that exit I almost missed. I'll either get somewhere earlier or die like I was supposed to... or something like that. People drive like they don't care about their lives.

ibyea

Banned
Really, NYC is not one of the worsts? I am surprised because driving in NYC is basically hell on earth.

Sunster

florida drivers avoid crashes because everyone here turns on their high beams at dusk. low beams are not a thing here.

I live in San Diego and I've been in 3 accidents that were determined to be the fault of the other driver. One that was so bad it crushed the entire engine compartment of my Hyundai into a 1-foot long mass of steaming metal. Airbag saved my life but I suffered a broken arm, nose, and a bad concussion where I was unconscious for almost 5 minutes.

All of my other family members have also been in accidents (though not nearly as bad) in which fault was placed on other drivers, including 2 instances of running red lights.

I've also driven defensively and saved myself from bad accidents at LEAST 10 times by slamming on my breaks or swerving.

So yeah, I can see San Diego being on the list. 😊
Fellow San Diegan, here. We have shitty drivers, for sure. Never been in an accident yet (thankfully), but I've had close calls with people on the freeway almost changing lanes right into me.

Lil Marco

Banned
I live in Southern California's Inland Empire and you see absolutely insane driving a few times a day.

I lived there for a couple years and yeah, people drove like psychos and I saw accidents happen right in front of me alarmingly often, one of them fatal. It must be all the smog damaging their brains causing behavioral malfunction.

Top Bottom