• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The band Thursday has released their first song in 13 years

Doomtrain

I never thought we’d see the day. I’m so impossibly glad they’re back. Sounds like a continuation of the No Dev sound, and I was super happy when the screams came in towards the end.

I really hope we get a full album, because these guys are some of the best at choosing opening and closing tracks and making an album flow as a cohesive piece of art.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I never thought we’d see the day. I’m so impossibly glad they’re back. Sounds like a continuation of the No Dev sound, and I was super happy when the screams came in towards the end.

I really hope we get a full album, because these guys are some of the best at choosing opening and closing tracks and making an album flow as a cohesive piece of art.

No full albums. Geoff stated in both interviews I posted that they're basically going to do a drip feed of songs one at a time for now. So make sure you're following them on Spotify or wherever you get your music!

Doomtrain

No full albums. Geoff stated in both interviews I posted that they're basically going to do a drip feed of songs one at a time for now. So make sure you're following them on Spotify or wherever you get your music!
Yup, I read both of those interviews right after posting, haha. That said, he also mentions that he’s apt to change his mind about these things, so I’m still gonna cross my fingers!

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Yup, I read both of those interviews right after posting, haha. That said, he also mentions that he’s apt to change his mind about these things, so I’m still gonna cross my fingers!

Me too man

I just saw them a month ago playing War All The Time plus some others and they were still fuckin awesome. It was just weird seeing them look old(er). Had no idea Rickly went sober either so good on him.

Have you heard his side project with what’s left of Lostprophets? No Devotion. I dunno if they’ve ever even played in the US, but they’re fuckin sick. Stuart Richardson, their bassist is who I saw playing with Thursday when I saw them last.

Last edited:

Doomtrain

Me too man

I just saw them a month ago playing War All The Time plus some others and they were still fuckin awesome. It was just weird seeing them look old(er). Had no idea Rickly went sober either so good on him.

Have you heard his side project with what’s left of Lostprophets? No Devotion. I dunno if they’ve ever even played in the US, but they’re fuckin sick. Stuart Richardson, their bassist is who I saw playing with Thursday when I saw them last.

I saw them do Full Collapse a few years back, but I don’t think I’ve seen a full WATT show. I would absolutely love to see them play more of their newer stuff though. I love the old records, but they have so much amazing material from their later albums that they mostly ignore. You Were The Cancer is maybe the most emotionally intense song I’ve ever heard, but they barely acknowledge that album at all.

No Devotion is great! Their first record was good but it didn’t blow me away, but No Oblivion is truly excellent. It’s probably the most depressing album I own, but if I’m in the right mood, it scratches a certain itch like no other music can.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I saw them do Full Collapse a few years back, but I don’t think I’ve seen a full WATT show. I would absolutely love to see them play more of their newer stuff though. I love the old records, but they have so much amazing material from their later albums that they mostly ignore. You Were The Cancer is maybe the most emotionally intense song I’ve ever heard, but they barely acknowledge that album at all.

No Devotion is great! Their first record was good but it didn’t blow me away, but No Oblivion is truly excellent. It’s probably the most depressing album I own, but if I’m in the right mood, it scratches a certain itch like no other music can.

They were closing some of the latest shows with Beyond A Visual Spectrum (not the one I was at) which was shocking to me considering how they just never really play much from Common Existence or City By The Light (my #1 next to FC). They don’t have Andrew anymore though so the lack of keyboards does kinda suck.

Thursday did that lo fi sound right for those final three albums. Devolucion was like the closest they came to sounding like the second coming of The Cure to me

Fav song off the final

Doomtrain

They were closing some of the latest shows with Beyond A Visual Spectrum (not the one I was at) which was shocking to me considering how they just never really play much from Common Existence or City By The Light (my #1 next to FC). They don’t have Andrew anymore though so the lack of keyboards does kinda suck.

Thursday did that lo fi sound right for those final three albums. Devolucion was like the closest they came to sounding like the second coming of The Cure to me

Fav song off the final

Dude, City is my favorite Thursday album! It’s great to see someone else show some love for it. It gets so overlooked. (But everything does next to Full Collapse, I guess.) The ending to Other Side of the Crash gives me full-body chills every single time I hear it. And the guitar in the verse is something straight out of Mega Man X.

A Gun in the First Act might be my favorite song off of No Dev too. It’s so different from anything else they did, but it still sounds so much like Thursday.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Dude, City is my favorite Thursday album! It’s great to see someone else show some love for it. It gets so overlooked. (But everything does next to Full Collapse, I guess.) The ending to Other Side of the Crash gives me full-body chills every single time I hear it. And the guitar in the verse is something straight out of Mega Man X.

A Gun in the First Act might be my favorite song off of No Dev too. It’s so different from anything else they did, but it still sounds so much like Thursday.

City really transcended them beyond the emo/post hardcore label. You could really see with that one that they were much much more than that. Rickly took voice lessons before recording. That “lo fi” sound is there so everyone sounds somewhat “even.” It’s a fucking ride and I love it so much. A LOT of big time life shit happening at that time too which definitely adds.

This is also still my favorite instrumental of all time. Very very emotional for me. I’ve jammed to this song with my guitar I dunno how many times.

Doomtrain

City really transcended them beyond the emo/post hardcore label. You could really see with that one that they were much much more than that. Rickly took voice lessons before recording. That “lo fi” sound is there so everyone sounds somewhat “even.” It’s a fucking ride and I love it so much. A LOT of big time life shit happening at that time too which definitely adds.

This is also still my favorite instrumental of all time. Very very emotional for me. I’ve jammed to this song with my guitar I dunno how many times.

Arc Lamps is great. I haven't messed with that one on guitar much (although I think I'm gonna have to this weekend now), but Understanding in a Car Crash was one of the first songs I ever learned on guitar. I think a lot of their songs are really fun to play, and they hit a good sweet spot where they're like... surprisingly technical, but always in a way that serves the song, and never feels wanky for the sake of it. Signals Over the Air is another really fun one to play. I taught myself to play it by ear and I think it sounds pretty close, but they released an official transcription of it and there are so many crazy complex subtleties going on.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Arc Lamps is great. I haven't messed with that one on guitar much (although I think I'm gonna have to this weekend now), but Understanding in a Car Crash was one of the first songs I ever learned on guitar. I think a lot of their songs are really fun to play, and they hit a good sweet spot where they're like... surprisingly technical, but always in a way that serves the song, and never feels wanky for the sake of it. Signals Over the Air is another really fun one to play. I taught myself to play it by ear and I think it sounds pretty close, but they released an official transcription of it and there are so many crazy complex subtleties going on.

There was always something about how they play high chord sounds from high on the neck that hit me the most, like the Cross Out The Eyes breakdown at 3:00

It’s the best way I can explain it as someone that’s self taught and doesn’t read music etc

Obv more of a rhythmic player 😎🎶

Best Friends Friend GIF by PermissionIO

Last edited:

Doomtrain

There was always something about how they play high chord sounds from high on the neck that hit me the most, like the Cross Out The Eyes breakdown at 3:00

It’s the best way I can explain it as someone that’s self taught and doesn’t read music etc

Obv more of a rhythmic player 😎🎶
Just re-listened to Cross Out The Eyes. I hear the part you mean -- sounds like one guitar is doing power chords while the other guitar is doing an octave over the top of it? Definitely a cool moment. Sounds punchy AF.

Thinking about it more, Full Collapse has a really distinct guitar tone. I get a similar feeling from Paris In Flames around 3:20-ish.

And here I thought rock (EDIT: apparently, this is called post-hardcore) was mostly gone in this day and age. Nice to be proven wrong.

The OP track almost sounds familiar even though I've never heard it before.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
And here I thought rock (EDIT: apparently, this is called post-hardcore) was mostly gone in this day and age. Nice to be proven wrong.

The OP track almost sounds familiar even though I've never heard it before.
It is a bit of a pastiche, I think, but it you're not familiar with Thursday, War All The Time and A City by the Light Divided will probably work out for you.

Top Bottom