• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The $50 device that symbolises a shift in North Korea

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Reuters) - A $50 portable media player is providing many North Koreans a window to the outside world despite the government's efforts to keep its people isolated - a symbol of change in one of the world's most repressed societies.

By some estimates, up to half of all urban North Korean households have an easily concealed "notel", a small portable media player used to watch DVDs or content stored on USB sticks that can be easily smuggled into the country and passed hand to hand.

People are exchanging South Korean soaps, pop music, Hollywood films and news programmes, all of which are expressly prohibited by the Pyongyang regime, according to North Korean defectors, activists and recent visitors to the isolated country.

"The North Korean government takes their national ideology extremely seriously, so the spread of all this media that competes with their propaganda is a big and growing problem for them," said Sokeel Park of Liberty in North Korea (LiNK), an organisation that works with defectors.

"If Pyongyang fails to successfully adapt to these trends, they could threaten the long-term survival of the regime itself."

(...)
http://in.reuters.com/article/2015/03/27/northkorea-change-insight-idINKBN0MM2W720150327

kj0mAvx.jpg
REY1vdv.jpg

A Chinese-made portable media player, which North Koreans call "Notel", is seen in Hunchun city, China.

Previously published, more in-depth WIRED article on the topic:

The Plot to Free North Korea With Smuggled Episodes of 'Friends'

ON A CLOUDY, moonless night somewhere in northeastern China, three men creep through a stand of Japanese Clethra trees. They carry no flashlights, and the sky is so dark that they hear the sound of the rushing Tumen River before they see it: They’ve arrived at the North Korean border.

(...)

Two hours later the trio’s leader, a middle-aged North Korean defector named Jung Kwang-il, steps into the tall weeds of the riverbank. He pulls out a cheap laser pointer and flashes it across the water. Then he waits for a response: If he sees an X slashed through the air by a laser on the opposite bank, the operation will be called off. Instead, he’s answered with a red circle painted through the darkness.

(...)

Soon after, a compact man dressed in only a hoodie and boxer shorts wades out of the waist-high water and onto the riverbank where Jung and his companions stand. Jung arranged the meeting earlier in the day using coded language over walkie-talkies. The men embrace and speak softly for a minute about each other’s health, the price of North Korean mushrooms, and Jung’s mother, whom he’d left behind in the North 10 years ago. Then Jung hands the man a tightly wrapped plastic bag containing a trove of precious black-market data: 200 Sandisk USB drives and 300 micro SD cards, each packed with 16 gigabytes of videos like Lucy, Son of God, 22 Jump Street, and entire seasons of South Korean reality television shows, comedies, and soap operas. To bribe the guards on the North Korean side, Jung has included in the bag an HP laptop computer, cigarettes, liquor, and close to $1,000 in cash.

The man in the hoodie slings the bag of digital contraband over his shoulder. Then he says good-bye and disappears back into the world’s deepest black hole of information.

(...)

THAT SMUGGLING MISSION was planned and executed last September by the North Korea Strategy Center and its 46-year-old founder, Kang Chol-hwan. Over the past few years, Kang’s organization has become the largest in a movement of political groups who routinely smuggle data into North Korea. NKSC alone annually injects around 3,000 USB drives filled with foreign movies, music, and ebooks. Kang’s goal, as wildly optimistic as it may sound, is nothing less than the overthrow of the North Korean government. He believes that the Kim dynasty’s three-generation stranglehold on the North Korean people—and its draconian restriction on almost any information about the world beyond its borders—will ultimately be broken not by drone strikes or caravans of Humvees but by a gradual, guerrilla invasion of thumb drives filled with bootleg episodes of Friends and Judd Apatow comedies.

zTHyunl.jpg

Kang Chol-hwan founded the dissident group NKSC, focused on injecting foreign media into North Korea. Here he holds a popular video player known in the country as a notel. Photo Credit: JOE PUGLIESE

Kang likens the USB sticks to the red pill from The Matrix: a mind-altering treatment that has the power to shatter a world of illusions. “When North Koreans watch Desperate Housewives, they see that Americans aren’t all war-loving imperialists,” Kang says. “They’re just people having affairs or whatever. They see the leisure, the freedom. They realize that this isn’t the enemy; it’s what they want for themselves. It cancels out everything they’ve been told. And when that happens, it starts a revolution in their mind.”
http://www.wired.com/2015/03/north-korea/

Technology, fuck yeah :D
Still wondering why Kim Jong-Un was so freaked out by The Interview?

Forkball

Kang’s goal, as wildly optimistic as it may sound, is nothing less than the overthrow of the North Korean government.
My goals seem so unambitious now...

I imagine there's a rather extensive black market and smuggling scene in North Korea. You have a lot of people trying to move stuff in and a lot of people more than happy to receive.

Kudos to them but I really don't see it having much impact. I think the majority of the population is too brainwashed to initiate change in the country. It will only come through a coup at the top and the shedding of blood.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Kudos to them but I really don't see it having much impact. I think the majority of the population is too brainwashed to initiate change in the country. It will only come through a coup at the top and the shedding of blood.

...except seeing foreign influences is how you un-"brainwash" them.

Vice

Even just noticing the differemces in production values between NK media and foreign media will set off foags. As well as all the displays of wealth in even entertainment about Western poor/middle class people.

I recall many anecdotes from the book "Nothing to Envy" from N. Koreans who decided to defect after noticing differences in hospital technology, lighters or even how well-fed Chinese dogs were.

Go_Ly_Dow

Even just noticing the differemces in production values between NK media and foreign media will set off foags. As well as all the displays of wealth in even entertainment about Western poor/middle class people.

I recall many anecdotes from the book "Nothing to Envy" from N. Koreans who decided to defect after noticing differences in hospital technology, lighters ir even how well-fed Chinese digs were.

And simply looking across the Chinese border and noticing fields ripe for harvest whilst their country was in a state of famine.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
godspeed, bros. literally making way for a "digital revolution"

hate to pile on here, but this seems like the best way possible to remove that brain washing

Phased

Western Media was a not insignificant factor in the collapse of the Soviet Union. Granted there was more going on like the USSR backing themselves into a financial corner scaling their military tech up, but don't underestimate the impact of the general population being swayed towards a more capitalistic mindset.

People like Billy Joel and for some ungodly reason David Hasselhoff were (are?) Huge in the Soviet Union despite their best efforts to keep those influences out. That stuff matters a lot.

Western Media was a not insignificant factor in the collapse of the Soviet Union. Granted there was more going on like the USSR backing themselves into a financial corner scaling their military tech up, but don't underestimate the impact of the general population being swayed towards a more capitalistic mindset.

People like Billy Joel and for some ungodly reason David Hasselhoff were (are?) Huge in the Soviet Union despite their best efforts to keep those influences out. That stuff matters a lot.

I think the fall of the Soviet Union is actually a good example of how change in these situations comes from top down not the other way. Had Gorbachev not been a reformer and recognised the flaws in the system I doubt the SU would have collapsed. Unless NK has someone like that at the top nothing is going to change. Soap operas are not going to lead to an uprising in NK.

I also think the NK people are a lot more conformist and closed minded than those in the SU were.

benjipwns

Banned
I think the fall of the Soviet Union is actually a good example of how change in these situations comes from top down not the other way. Had Gorbachev not been a reformer and recognised the flaws in the system I doubt the SU would have collapsed.
The fun part being that Gorbachev was trying to save the Soviet system and stop it from collapsing.

Someone shared a PBS docu called Secret State of North Korea on GAF not too long ago. It gives a glimpse into the world of South Korean media being smuggled into North Korea. The video also shows that an increasing amount of citizens are challenging authority and pushing the boundaries of the black market, resulting in more 'outside' media being spread.
It's a great watch. It shatters the image that all North Koreans are brainwashed and instills me with hope that change can come from the people. I'm convinced that exposure to outside media works as a catalyst for change. I think stimulating trade with North Korea will be a big factor for change as well. I recently heard an increasing amount western businesses are looking into that.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Having been in North Korea, I can see this being hugely effective. An episode of Friends doesn't sound like a big deal until you realise that nobody in this country has heard of Beatles or Madonna. Rock or Pop music never arrived, and there is no youth fashion or kids fashion, just mini-adults. Seeing what they have missed is vertain to put a seed of resentment in their mind.

The big problem of this plan is that nobody understands English. English study is extremely restricted and accessible only to trusted people near the party. Those people in fact watch some government chosen western stuff, but are prohihited to talk about it.

This is a pretty genious project. I remember many years ago I read some interesting theories regarding North Koreas control of all information and that is also some of the reason that discourages change or revolt. If people get more access to stuff from abroad it will definitely change their view on things even if it is an episode of Friends. They will realize that the depictions they grew up with were faulty. The impact will be big for sure.

We got that in europe with the invasion of abstract expressionism sponsored by the CIA a long time ago.
History repeats itself.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I watched a documentary on this on netflix a few weeks back. fascinating.

edit: I think it was the one herbspiceguy is talking about above ^^^^. Devo started it so I didn't catch the name.

magnetic

Pop culture can have an incredible influence on revolutionary movements, that's exactly why so many radical dictatorships are trying to completely control the type of media the citizens consume.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Having been in North Korea, I can see this being hugely effective. An episode of Friends doesn't sound like a big deal until you realise that nobody in this country has heard of Beatles or Madonna. Rock or Pop music never arrived, and there is no youth fashion or kids fashion, just mini-adults. Seeing what they have missed is vertain to put a seed of resentment in their mind.

The big problem of this plan is that nobody understands English. English study is extremely restricted and accessible only to trusted people near the party. Those people in fact watch some government chosen western stuff, but are prohihited to talk about it.

Wouldn't the American shows have Korean subtitles on them?

terrisus

Why do we do clickbait titles on GAF?

"$50 media player symbolizes shift in North Korea" or something to that effect would have been less characters, and actually described the topic.

Xyphie

Saw a NK refugee give a speech at a tech conference in Stockholm just a few weeks ago and she said that watching movies like Titanic was very influential for her in understanding that the outside world is different so it definitely has some effect.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
North Korea is such a unique petri dish it's hard to say what will happen one way or another. I wouldn't say this could have no impact however. NK desires a population that is so utterly brainwashed and hermetically sealed from the outside world, that it creates its own kind of social fragility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom