• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2004 Calgary Flames Choked Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spike

As soon as Kerry Frasier was announced as the ref for the game, you knew that the Flames were going to lose. Look at all the non-calls during the first 2 periods. Fedetenko's 2nd goal, he should have served a high-sticking call.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Either way, both Calgary and Tampa Bay would have deserved the cup.

Both teams had exceptional years. And hey! at least it wasn't New Jersey :D

SickBoy

I've been watching the Flames all playoffs long. I haven't posted a single word about it because I'm immensely superstitious. In fact, I stopped talking about hockey on this forum back when the Flames were working to secure their playoff spot.

Needless to say, I have a few things to say:

- First of all, congratulations to the Lightning. They pulled it out. They won a couple of games where they were outplayed, but they manhandled the Flames for almost two-and-a-half periods tonight. Brad Richards played amazingly well. Khabibulin was excellent as well, and they probably wouldn't have made it to game 7 if it weren't for him (as for the Flames, the same can be said about Kipper and getting to the finals at all -- or being within a goal).

- The Gelinas "goal" in Game 6 doesn't bother me that much. I think there could be a case made that he meant to guide it in. I started following the Sabres in the early 90's after the Flames started losing their way (for a while I thought Dave King was a good coaching choice) -- thanks largely to the class of Pat LaFontaine. I think there's much more ammunition and rightful unhappiness about Brett Hull's cup-winning goal (which was a good goal but shouldn't have counted under the rules of the day).

- I think it's ridiculous that people jump on the "Canadian team" bandwagon. There were lots of reasons to jump on the Calgary wagon: small market team riding high, some talented players, Kiprusoff, big-time underdog. But I'll tell you something, if it was the Leafs playing almost any American team in the finals, I'd so be cheering on the Wings. I'd like to think that people who don't normally like the Flames in any way wouldn't hop on board just because they're a team north of the border.

- I was in Calgary on the weekend before the final started. I lived there in 89. IMO, 1989 had nothing on 2004. At some point, Flames fans had a bad reputation. This year, the entire city was behind the team. It was amazing.

I have more to say, but now I have to do some work.

The Flames rock for making such a run. I feel bad for them, but I'm sure they'll be treated to a heroes' welcome when they get back to Calgary.

Congrats to Tampa.

-SB

Dracor

Either way, both Calgary and Tampa Bay would have deserved the cup.

Both teams had exceptional years. And hey! at least it wasn't New Jersey
^ Well said... congrats Tampa, always next year (if there is a next year).

Boogie

Kuroyume said:
I don't care about hockey one bit (I have to admit though that watching the game was fun though @_@ which is a big surprise since I find hockey boring to watch) BUT I have to say congrats to America for beating Canada. :D

Good grief. You really are OA-level retarded.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Congrats to the Tampa Bay Lightning for winning their first Stanley Cup. They had one hell of a year and one hell of a playoff run. By the same token, the Flames have nothing to be ashamed of. They came alive in the third period and played their hearts out, and they came within inches of winning the Stanley Cup a few times over the last two games.

Both teams deserved to win the Cup. Great series all around, and hopefully we'll be seeing more of both these teams late next year (along with a newly energized New York Rangers!.....what? I can dream...).

Fifty

Man, this thread sure misses the presence of the regulars :( What can I say. Tampa won. Too bad for Calgary and their fans.

SickBoy

MetatronM said:
hopefully we'll be seeing more of both these teams late next year (along with a newly energized New York Rangers!.....what? I can dream...).

I'm guessing we won't see much of anything hockey-related late next year.

-SB

Malakhov

Banned
No one believed me when I said tampa was strong this year...

But all I'm gonna say is this...

Thank you for the 5 minute major and thank you for the no goal.

Fuck you NHL, fuck you up the ass. I've lost all f'king respect.

Socreges

Banned
Malakhov said:
How do you feel winning a cup that was won the game before by the other team?
Game 6 b/w Calgary and Vancouver. In the 4-1 goal, there was some dispute as to whether or not it was a high-stick or not. While the officials were deliberating, CBC would air different angles over and over again. One, looking down on the ice, would show that the stick was clearly below the bar. Another, looking up from, instead gave the impression that the stick was above. They ruled it inconclusive and the goal stood [as it was called on-ice].

My point being that I've seen one perspective. Looking down, zoomed-in, the puck appears to be over the line [although the edge of the puck is fuzzy and can be disputed]. But if we were given something closer to ice-level and from the side, I'm not convinced that it would still appear to be over the line. Angles can play tricks on you.

So I'm not saying either way. That would be stupid.

Both teams were completely matched, they both had top notch european goaltenders, underated defense, and what Calgary lacked in finesse, they made up for in grit and work ethic. Basically the teams were totally even overall.

It all came down to the fans of each team, and Tampa Bay's fans were simply better.

bolts_84003.jpg

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
Mike Works said:
Both teams were completely matched, they both had top notch european goaltenders, underated defense, and what Calgary lacked in finesse, they made up for in grit and work ethic. Basically the teams were totally even overall.

It all came down to the fans of each team, and Tampa Bay's fans were simply better.

bolts_84003.jpg

+1

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Malakhov said:
It was clearly in, the pad was in, the puck hit the pad, clearly behind the goal line.
I think the guys at ABC VERY clearly proved during tonight's game that the Gelinas "goal" was not in fact a goal.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Mike Works said:
That was a joke comment, right?

SickBoy said:
I'm guessing we won't see much of anything hockey-related late next year.

-SB
Like I said...I can dream. :D

Socreges

Banned
It sucks that Tampa won, but at least the team itself was awesome. St Louis, Lecavalier, and Richards have become three of my favourite players.
MetatronM said:
I think the guys at ABC VERY clearly proved during tonight's game that the Gelinas "goal" was not in fact a goal.
How so?

Shinobi

Malakhov said:
How do you feel winning a cup that was won the game before by the other team?

lol.gif
I'd feel just fine if I was a Bolts fan. Get it done anyway you can baby. Besides, I doubt you knew it was a goal when it happened...Lord knows no one on the Flames thought it was. And it isn't as if the Bolts might not have tied it up anyway...it wasn't overtime you know.

Mike Works said:

lol.gif

The Bolts winning might well be the best thing that could happen to the NHL. With the copycat mentality that generally exists in team sports, it's possible that a number of teams will copy the formula used by Tampa Bay...a team that focuses on attacking hockey, on being aggressive, on speed and skating, crisp, cross ice passing, and a bit of finesse. Let's hope more hockey like this becomes commonplace, while leaving that boring ass trapping bullshit back in the dark ages where it belongs.

And I go back to Saturday...why everyone up here had given the cup to the Flames is beyond me. OOOOOOO, the Bolts got their hearts crushed in game five, they're so done...sheesh. Tampa merely outplayed Calgary the last two games, and frankly got the result that they deserved. Never have I seen a luckier team though...they missed what, 50 man games in total this year? If that? That's just ridiculous. But hey, you can't hurt what you can't catch.

ABC showed this really slick computer animation thing. It made it seem like the 'goal' was an optical illusion where you only think the puck is over the line because of the way it's tilted and the angle the replay was shot from. At the very least, you can see how it's questionable enough to not overturn the call on the ice.

But it was a computer simulation thing, based on the assumptions and estimations of the guys who made it, so if you believe in the America vs. Canada conspiracy this could just be more damage control from the forces of evil. :p

Brendonia

"Edge stole Big Ben's helmet"
First of all, it was essentially impossible for the refs on the ice to call it a goal when it actually happened. Then going to the replay to review, you couldn't see the puck on Khabibulin's pad, hell you couldn't see it at all once it got near the goal line, so there's no way you can say it was a goal. Conclusive evidence did not exist, that's just too bad.

Saying that I didn't really know who to root for in this series aside from a great set of games, and that's what we got. I liked the Lightning because they beat the Flyers, and the Flames beat the Red Wings which is always a good thing. Hats off to the Lightning and the Flames, they both deserved it and played an awesome series. It's nice that we got a Stanley Cup Final worth watching two years in a row because now who knows what's going to happen to hockey. Maybe the time off will give the young Pens some time to get together and work out their inexperience, and maybe get good again. Man I'm gonna miss it if there isn't a season next year.

Mike, Tampa Fans immediately get -100 for allowing Brooke Hogan singing the anthems.

Anyhow, the series definitely felt like a mini - '94. The Canucks had it worse, though, as 8th Seed, no wunderkind goalie, tasked with destroying Leafmania only to be rewarded with a 3-1 Cup Final series deficit against the powers of Moses Messier, as his irritating godlike powers redirected all Canuck shots at the goalpost...

Not quite enough to wear a New Orleans paper bag, but damn if nostalgia isn't depressing sometimes. ;-)

Poo Poo

I feel bad for Calgary (despite being Edmontonian) because I don't think they will make the finals again. Would have liked to see them win. I'm sure TB can make the finals again.

FightyF

Banned
Where are System Shark and Calder?!?!?

Don't worry...they'll once again be a part of these hockey threads. In 15 years that is!

Kidding aside...I went to 17th with my bros and sis, one of my bros wearing a Tampa Bay Jersey, and in the end a handful of Flames fans were arrested heheh. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say that they were too drunk to think rationally, before I label the fans as rude and unclassy.

Just like ABC's CG animation, I did the same with ESPN NHL 2K4, showing that it was most likely on the line. The biggest clue was the next frame of animation, but most people ignored that.

Calgary fans should be happy. The Flames, as they stand right now, are many times better now than they were before Game 1 against Vancouver. You may disagree with me, but I feel that they were lucky to make the Playoffs in the first place, with teams like L.A. and Edmonton suffering from injuries, that hurt their playoff chances, and teams like St. Louis doing poorer than expected, it allowed the Predators and the Flames to be a part of the Playoff race. Looking towards next season (heheh) the Flames may have enough confidence to make it to the Playoffs regardless of the performance of other Western Conference teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom