• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2004 Calgary Flames Choked Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
sc_9_41397.jpg

sc_2_40957.jpg

sc_4_41090.jpg

sc_6_41221.jpg

sc_1_30186.jpg

sc_3_30371.jpg

sc_9_30684.jpg

sc_8_36414.jpg

GO TAMPA!!!

Game 7 is Monday night in Tampa. Let's hope Khabibulin is as good as he was last night.

g_richards2_ft.jpg

Im so conflicted being Canadian i want Calgary to win.....but damn Tampa is a really fun team to watch and the safe is Death slogan is reallt great for hockey.

Anybody have a freeze of the puck crossing the line off Gelinas' foot?

It's interesting because if it did cross that would have been the series, and the winner would have gone to Gelinas who scored the series clincher for Calgary in the three previous rounds.

If you look at it from the POV of a fatalist, that could be a pretty ill omen for the Flames.

I was watching the game at my aunt and uncle's house (along with another aunt, grandfather, and two cousins). We ordered chinese food during the middle of the third period for pick up, and it was ready to get picked up right before overtime started. My cousin and I offered to pick it up multiple times, as we needed to talk about something in private, but my grandfather kept insisting we stay because he didn't want us to miss the overtime goal.

So we stay, watch the first OT, and the food took longer than expected to be ready. My grandfather and aunt, who went to go pick it up, come back 10 minutes after the first OT ended. Everyone but my grandfather went upstairs to get the food out and serve ourselves (we didn't want him to walk up the stairs, so we offered to make a plate of food for him). After about 10 minutes of getting the food together, we hear, "HO HO, IT'S A GOAL!"

So after arguing with him to go pick the food up for about 15 minutes, and staying in vain of him not wanting us to miss the overtime goal, he was the only person in the entire house who saw it.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Well, since all the weird little trends have held true for the whole series thus far, I see no reason for them to change now. Which means the Flames win, possibly in overtime, on the road to win the Stanley Cup.

Go Flames!

Bigfoot

MetatronM said:
Well, since all the weird little trends have held true for the whole series thus far, I see no reason for them to change now. Which means the Flames win, possibly in overtime, on the road to win the Stanley Cup.

Go Flames!
Yeah, they way these streaks keep holding up is crazy. If everyting holds, Calgary should win, but I'll be really nervous if Tampa scores the first goal ;)

Shinobi

Duke Juan the Beast said:
Anybody have a freeze of the puck crossing the line off Gelinas' foot?

It's interesting because if it did cross that would have been the series, and the winner would have gone to Gelinas who scored the series clincher for Calgary in the three previous rounds.

If you look at it from the POV of a fatalist, that could be a pretty ill omen for the Flames.

What's funny about it is that ABC were on that immediately, while it took CBC over five minutes to realize what had happened. Shows that the ABC guys aren't completely clueless, as many here seem to think.

Anyway, I couldn't believe the way the Bolts were written off after game five, so in that sense I'm glad they won. Having said that, I think the Flames will pull it off...Iggy didn't look all that hot Saturday, and I reckon he'll be back with a vengence tonight.

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
Shinobi said:
What's funny about it is that ABC were on that immediately, while it took CBC over five minutes to realize what had happened. Shows that the ABC guys aren't completely clueless, as many here seem to think.

Anyway, I couldn't believe the way the Bolts were written off after game five, so in that sense I'm glad they won. Having said that, I think the Flames will pull it off...Iggy didn't look all that hot Saturday, and I reckon he'll be back with a vengence tonight.

Iggy scares me.

Fifty

Shinobi said:

Yeah, except for the awful tint on their broadcasts (everything looks pale!) ABC>CBC. Plus, I don't have to listen to Bob Cole.

Shinobi

Why is this non-goal such a big deal anyway? People act like the ref refused to go upstairs on it or something. It was a bang-bang play, NOBODY on the Flames even had an inkling that it might've been a goal, and play carried on for what, two minutes after the fact? I mean from one angle ABC showed, the puck was clearly behind the line...but that's easy to see after a frame by frame replay. In real time nobody had a clue.

The Flames need to get over it...with tonight's game taking place on their opponent's ice, they've pretty much got the Bolts where they want them.

BTW, if I hear one more phone call into the Fan 590 saying the disallowed goal was proof that the NHL is conspiraring to give the cup to T-Bay for Dave Andreychuk, I'm going to lose it. Dumb ass town.

Fifty

Shinobi said:
BTW, if I hear one more phone call into the Fan 590 saying the disallowed goal was proof that the NHL is conspiraring to give the cup to T-Bay for Dave Andreychuk, I'm going to lose it. Dumb ass town.

Fine, if you care that much about it, I'll stop.

Vicious

I had a chance to go to game 7 tonight, but it was not meant to be. Instead, I'll just make my way over to the arena by the end of the game. Win or lose, it should be an interesting time out on the streets.

Socreges

Banned
Fifty said:
Yeah, except for the awful tint on their broadcasts (everything looks pale!) ABC>CBC. Plus, I don't have to listen to Bob Cole.
The tint and distant perspective of the broadcasts, plus the poor commentating and use of replays/camera-work during pauses in the game [save their one shining moment in the last game. way to go, ABC!]. Practically everything that makes up a broadcast. And I don't even find Cole and Neal that bad.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Yeah, I've been watching the past 2 hockey games because my boyfriend is out of the country and wants update on this series, and now I'm getting really tired of it. I don't hate hockey or anything, but this series has been dragging on for way longer than it should. Arrggg... how many more hockey games must I endure !? Just frigging win the cup, dammit Flames !

Miguel

Well, the point is, I'm actually somewhat interested. :p

Hockey can be fun at times, but I don't know if I could make it a whole season yet. Playoffs for now, maybe I'll try watching more games in the future (more than the 5-10 I watch a year anyway) As opposed to 3-4 games every week for football, or 3-5 every week for basketball. Or 5-10 every week for baseball. :p

Socreges

Banned
Can either of you explain to me how off-side works? Without using Google.

Hehe, Ville Neimenen singing along with the Canadian national anthem. That's awesome.

Nikashi

Banned
Offside is called when an player crosses the Blue Line before the puck does. ALso, when the puck is cleared from that zone, all the players on offense have to leave the zone and the puck has to go back in before they can.

Future Trunks

lemme tell you something son, this guy is SO FARKING HUGE HE'LL FLEX AND DESTROY THE SUN no shit
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Tampa is totally outplaying Calgary, especially in Tampa's own defensive end of the ice. If the Flames want to have a chance to steal away the cup, they're gonna have to play like they've never played before. Not looking good for the Flames right now. The Bolts simply seem like they want it more, and they're playing that way.

Socreges

Banned
Fedotenko's from Russia.

And that was a bizarre penalty just now. Hardly interference.

[edit] ....and it leads to an absolutely huge goal. Lightning fans can't be pleased.

Kuroyume

Banned
I don't care about hockey one bit (I have to admit though that watching the game was fun though @_@ which is a big surprise since I find hockey boring to watch) BUT I have to say congrats to America for beating Canada. :D

Future Trunks

lemme tell you something son, this guy is SO FARKING HUGE HE'LL FLEX AND DESTROY THE SUN no shit
Mwhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

EDIT: So...uhh, does that mean there's a Lightning Quadforce now?

Socreges

Banned
Good for Richards. Admittedly, I was a little confused when he was chosen over Lecavalier for the World Cup, but I can definitely understand it now. Awesome player. So clutch.
Cloudy said:
The Flames got screwed royally in this series. What a joke...
???

Back that up, or off to the NBA thread with ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom