• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texas Hold 'Em (XBLA) free for 48 hours from August 23

pilonv1

Didn't see this posted yet, lock if old. Awesome news though, glad I can save my 800 points.

http://www.xbox.com/en-AU/community/news/2006/0816-texasholdem.htm

Texas Hold ‘em full version download available to gamers for free for 48 hours on Live Arcade

Enjoy poker night every night with friends, family and gamers around the world.

Microsoft isn’t bluffing: Gamers can log onto Xbox Live within the first 48 hours after launch and download Texas Hold ‘em – completely free of charge! This full-featured poker title for Xbox Live Arcade on Xbox 360 will launch on Wednesday, August 23 at 6pm EST.

For 48 hours only – Wednesday, August 23 through to 6pm EST Friday, August 25 – as a special limited-time only promotion, gamers can download and own the game at no charge (for all Xbox Live Gold and Silver members). Starting at 6:01pm EST Friday, August 25, Texas Hold ‘em for Xbox Live Arcade will be available for 800 Microsoft Points.

This title comes equipped with features that can only be found on Xbox 360. Designed to simulate the risk-reward of real poker gameplay, keep gamers honest, and discourage opponents from betting too recklessly, Texas Hold ’em has an innovative new feature called Persistent Bankroll. Your virtual bankroll is tied to your Xbox Live Gamertag and keeps a running tally of your chip count. If you lose all of your chips in a poker game, you’ll have to play lower stakes buy-in games to make back your stack and earn your way to the big tables.

Texas Hold ’em also offers multiplayer support for up to eight gamers, three modes of gameplay (Standard Games, Scenarios and Tournaments), Achievements, extensive online leaderboards, statistics and high-definition graphics. Enjoy poker night every night with friends, family and gamers around the world (please note that this title may not be available in some countries).

In addition to the exciting release of Texas Hold ’em on August 23, gamers can also look forward tonewgame titles and premium downloadable game content on Xbox Live Arcade Wednesdays from August 16 to September 6, including:

* Cloning Clyde Picture Pack, the action adventure/puzzle game created by Wahoo Studios/NinjaBee (developer of the popular Outpost Kaloki X for Xbox Live Arcade), will have four new gamer picture packs available on Xbox Live Marketplace on Wednesday, August 16, allowing gamers to check out more unique pictures of Clyde. Each gamer picture pack: 100 Microsoft Points each.
* Time Pilot, the futuristic fighter pilot classic from Konami, lets gamers fight through different eras like never before. High-definition graphics and enhanced gameplay designed specifically for Xbox Live Arcade makes this version even better than the original from 1982. Gamers can download Time Pilot on Xbox Live Arcade Wednesday, August 30. Available: 400 Microsoft Points.
* Scramble, the classic side-scrolling ‘shoot-‘em up’ coin-op title from Konami, takes off on Xbox Live Arcade. The 1981 classic, widely considered the first ‘multi-level shooter,’ launches on Xbox Live Arcade Wednesday September 6. Available: 400 Microsoft Points.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So is it free for 48 hours then you're billed or is it yours to own forever and people who get it after the first 48 hours have to pay?

Ashodin

Schafer said:
So is it free for 48 hours then you're billed or is it yours to own forever and people who get it after the first 48 hours have to pay?
The latter is the correct assumption.

REV 09 said:
so is this a 48 hour timed demo

or

is it a 48 hour promotion to actually own the game for forever??
Reading comprehension for the lose.

FOR 48 HOURS, YOU CAN GET THIS GAME FOR FREE AND KEEP IT FREE. AFTER THE 48 HOURS ARE UP, ANY WHO WISH TO DOWNLOAD THE GAME MUST PAY POINTS.

Jonnyram

Cloning Clyde picture packs is all we're getting this week? :(
Still, it's nice that Texas Hold'Em is gonna be free for early adopters.

10 bucks for a Hold'em game with persistent bankrolls is a steal compared to every other console Hold'em game so far. Free is even better.

Mrbob

I remember a time when this game was supposed to be free for everyone all the time. Now its 800 points. Great.

It'll probably still be one of the biggest selling XBLA games. Why give it away for free?

Yeah and why is a Cloning Clyde picture pack a weekly release for XBLA? Pathetic.

WindyMan

For 48 hours only – Wednesday, August 23 through to 6pm EST Friday, August 25 – as a special limited-time only promotion, gamers can download and own the game at no charge (for all Xbox Live Gold and Silver members). Starting at 6:01pm EST Friday, August 25, Texas Hold ‘em for Xbox Live Arcade will be available for 800 Microsoft Points.

Once you own the game, it's yours. You will be getting the actual, full game for free. After you own it, it doesn't matter how much it costs.

You'd better get it!

REV 09

Mrbob said:
I remember a time when this game was supposed to be free for everyone all the time. Now its 800 points. Great.

It'll probably still be one of the biggest selling XBLA games. Why give it away for free?

Yeah and why is a Cloning Clyde picture pack a weekly release for XBLA? Pathetic.
is GAF complaining about Hold em' being free?

tomorrow's picture pack is a bummer, but next week we get a 10 dollar game for free. I originally thought hold em was coming tomorrow, but i'll wait a week to get it free.

pilonv1

Considering someone thought it was out tomorrow it probably doesn't hurt to spell it out for those who obviously cannot comprehend such news.

There are people here who will complain about anything.

ZeoVGM

Banned
SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Cloning Clyde picture pack.

Read.

i read, but considering it was only a picture pack, i figured there was still a GAME getting released along side it that they just didnt mention for some reason

no excuse for not having a game every week, really.

pilonv1 said:
Yes, tomorrow is August 23.

perhaps you should reread what i said before replying like a smartass.

pilonv1 said:
Considering someone thought it was out tomorrow it probably doesn't hurt to spell it out for those who obviously cannot comprehend such news.

i didn't SAY THAT, ass.

i said so WHAT is coming out tomorrow

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
So basically anyone who doesn't have access to a X360 in that 48 hour time period is ****ed and has to pay to get the game

Mrbob

REV 09 said:

tomorrow's picture pack is a bummer, but next week we get a 10 dollar game for free. I originally thought hold em was coming tomorrow, but i'll wait a week to get it free.

It's not free. It is free for 48 hours, that is all.

Texas Hold 'Em Poker was originally slated to be a free release, but then the license deal fell through and we pay 10 bucks for a card game. Should be 5 like Uno but whatever.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
m0dus said:
I'll see your armor, raise you a new dungeon.

. . . and a sword that you MUST purchase in order to finish the game!

Johnny . . . it's a ****ing joke.

You only come off as a crass idiot. Your jokes are funny to no one except yourself. Derailing civil xbox threads with pre-emptive anti trolls that have nothing to do with the current discussion make you look bad and degrade th e level of discourse on this forum. It's becoming painfully obvious you learned nothing from your last ban.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
CheapyD said:
Page is gone now!

CONTROVERSIAL!

I guess they worded it wrong, they probably meant free trial for those first 48 hours, then you have to purcahse the game :lol

Mrbob

Wario64 said:
I guess they worded it wrong, they probably meant free trial for those first 48 hours, then you have to purcahse the game :lol

This is what I'm guessing, so my complaining stands!

IJoel

Mrbob said:
This is what I'm guessing, so my complaining stands!

:lol

RagFlipp01a.jpg

jedimike

Seems llike a good compromise for MS. It was a smooth way for them to not have to renig on the free "promise." Most likely, they will be eating the cost (ie paying the devs) for all the games downloaded in the first 48 hours.

.Abras.

What time exactly does these Wednesday Arcade games show up?

I don’t think I can wait 1 week to get it free. Yes, I know I’m stupid.

monoRAIL

Banned
It's genius - the Xbox Live Arcade fans get a free game (cos they read teh intarweb) and the developer gets money from the casual gamers who pick it up after the 2 day freebie period.

Everyone's a winner!

Top Bottom