• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tesla Investor Day - a bit boring...?

supernova8

Banned
We already knew Tesla (or rather Elon Musk) wants to get the world toward a renewable future, so I thought the Master Plan 3 was a bit underwhelming.

We also didn't hear much about (or see anything of) Tesla's "next-gen" car.

We got a short video of Tesla robots doing seemingly basic things, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to know how impressive it is (ie based on how long they've been doing it, maybe they're progressing super fast even if it looks primitive now).

and....... yeah fucking hell Elon Musk is shit at public speaking.

-
Just waiting now for all the Tesla SIMPS youtubers to come out with their videos explaining how it was actually "it was a fantastic, insightful presentation" and "you guys just don't get it, man".

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

I know he says he'd rather spend time engineering than rehearsing...But I do wish these presentations had a few more layers of polish. It doesn't have to be Apple levels of glossed over, just smooth and moving on beat.

SJRB

Gold Member
It always amazes me how bad Elon [and by extension his team] is at giving presentations.

For Tesla, SpaceX, Neuralink, these presentations always feel like they were slapped together two hours earlier. The quality of the slides, the pacing and the actual content are always amateurish at best.

ValuableGenerousCaimanlizard-size_restricted.gif

supernova8

Banned
Also imagine if Musk had acquired Boston Dynamics instead of bloody Twitter. Those Boston folks are clearly smart, they probably could have Tesla factories with robots walking around actually getting work done by now.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Also imagine if Musk had acquired Boston Dynamics instead of bloody Twitter. Those Boston folks are clearly smart, they probably could have Tesla factories with robots walking around actually getting work done by now.

Possibly why Hyundai purchased them recently since they worked together on the Factory Safety Service Robot.

I doubt Hyundai would even want to sell anyway. However, I agree the money spent (wasted?) on Twitter could have been put to better use.

LordOfChaos

They halved the COGS on the next-gen vehicle vs Model 3 platform, which means a 30% gross margin at a $25k selling price. Meanwhile Ford trying to break even on a $50k Mach-E.

Def not boring

Yeah, the presentation wasn't a well polished consumer show or anything, but for investors you should have been salivating at those cost reductions, they're already EV race leading and with the price cuts and price declines for themselves I can see them close to maintaining market share or at least revenue share as the EV market grows from just a few percent of ICE

Think Apple and the iPhone, sure competitors came, but almost everyone but Samsung is on razor margins just trying to break even, Apple has the lions share of PROFIT share. Tesla 2025 and Tesla 2030 are likely to be juggernauts still.

E-Cat

Yeah, the presentation wasn't a well polished consumer show or anything, but for investors you should have been salivating at those cost reductions, they're already EV race leading and with the price cuts and price declines for themselves I can see them close to maintaining market share or at least revenue share as the EV market grows from just a few percent of ICE

Think Apple and the iPhone, sure competitors came, but almost everyone but Samsung is on razor margins just trying to break even, Apple has the lions share of PROFIT share. Tesla 2025 and Tesla 2030 are likely to be juggernauts still.
Yeah, and this is just the car business. That exponential energy storage ramp curve to 1 TWh by 2030 had me salivating. Nothing that we didn’t already know, but still striking to see in visual form.

supernova8

Banned
They halved the COGS on the next-gen vehicle vs Model 3 platform, which means a 30% gross margin at a $25k selling price. Meanwhile Ford trying to break even on a $50k Mach-E.

Def not boring

Sure but they didn't need 3 hours to say that. There were some great details in there, and it was interesting to hear how they are basically building cars with parallel processes, but again they need to work on their presentation skills.

E-Cat

Sure but they didn't need 3 hours to say that. There were some great details in there, and it was interesting to hear how they are basically building cars with parallel processes, but again they need to work on their presentation skills.
The presentation was more geared towards engineers than investors, agreed. That’s a Tesla event for ya. 🤷‍♂️

supernova8

Banned
The presentation was more geared towards engineers than investors, agreed. That’s a Tesla event for ya. 🤷‍♂️
Which is fine in and of itself but not when they explicitly call it "Investor Day" lol.

I suppose it was more of a "long-term strategy/vision briefing", but yeah they should have been clear about that beforehand.

Last edited:

E-Cat

Which is fine in and of itself but not when they explicitly call it "Investor Day" lol.

I suppose it was more of a "long-term strategy/vision briefing", but yeah they should have been clear about that beforehand.
Well, Elon did start playing it back on Twitter claiming it was gonna be more like an ”earth investor day” lol. Just like their AI Days are merely ”recruiting events”.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Well, Elon did start playing it back on Twitter claiming it was gonna be more like an ”earth investor day” lol. Just like their AI Days are merely ”recruiting events”.
I swear Tesla is the only 500b+ market cap company pulling this sort of shit lol. No wonder the SEC is on Musk's case constantly.

Top Bottom