• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tesla and Toyota sign deal to build electric cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
otake said:
Whatever. The I don't like reading things like you're mileage may vary if you have a/c on. It's on the main page. You go ahead and spend your money on such unproven tripe.

You get worse mileage when you use A/C in your ICE car right now, this isn't a new thing that EVs only have to deal with.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
duderon said:
You get worse mileage when you use A/C in your ICE car right now, this isn't a new thing that EVs only have to deal with.
Is the mileage variation % comparable?

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
XiaNaphryz said:
Is the mileage variation % comparable?

EVs are more energy efficient than ICE's, something like 75-80% vs. 30%, so I would expect it to effect EV mileage less than it does with gas powered cars. I'm by no means an expert on this subject, though.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
From the volt page:

Will I always get 40 miles on an electric charge?

No. Like any electric vehicle, Volt's electric miles per charge will vary. Like all vehicles, electric vehicles are less efficient in extremely hot or cold temperatures. In addition to outside temperatures, use of features like air conditioning and heat, personal driving style, additional cargo in the vehicle and the age of the battery will affect the electric range.

How long does Volt take to charge?
In about ten hours, you'll have a fully charged Volt waiting for you, ready to go. You can also install a 240V outlet, which can charge Volt in as little as four hours.

So weather is a problem and no long trips.
I dunno, things like these make me nervous.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
otake said:
From the volt page:

Did you read my post about the generator also in the Volt? It can go 300+ miles before you need to recharge and refill the gas generator. GM will make damn sure it goes 40 miles on batteries, that's the selling point of the vehicle. They are going to be conservative with their estimates.

Pimpwerx

Tarazet said:
Tesla IPO. *drools*
Where and when? My complaints about the company is that they seem more a paper company searching for production than anything. If they've got an IPO, I'm in. Like solars, there's nothing but upside with electric car manufacturers. Well...the real ones that is. PEACE.

otake said:
Whatever. The I don't like reading things like you're mileage may vary if you have a/c on. It's on the main page. You go ahead and spend your money on such unproven tripe.

Well . . . I regret to inform you that the mileage of YOUR car will vary depending if your AC is on or not. I'm sorry you spent your money on such unproven tripe.

otake said:
1266871833701.jpg

People this dense make me nervous.

No. Like any electric vehicle, Volt's electric miles per charge will vary. Like all vehicles, electric vehicles are less efficient in extremely hot or cold temperatures. In addition to outside temperatures, use of features like air conditioning and heat, personal driving style, additional cargo in the vehicle and the age of the battery will affect the electric range.

I'm sorry that weather is a problem for the car you drive right now.

How long does Volt take to charge?
In about ten hours, you'll have a fully charged Volt waiting for you, ready to go. You can also install a 240V outlet, which can charge Volt in as little as four hours.

Have you STILL not figured out that it has a gas engine so that you can drive as long as you would like? Not only that, but you'll get much better mileage than a traditional gasoline car. If anything, you will be able to drive FARTHER with the Volt than a typical gas car since you can first drive on the battery and then you get to drive on gas with a really good MPG.

Kruhex

So while there was a fully electric Jet Electra Van in the 70's which retailed for a very fair price point (went relatively fast also), there are still no electrics coming out priced for the average consumer and that look good. Wow...

ShowDog

B For Bendetta said:
$50,000 is a completely unacceptable price point. When will the car companies learn to produce a cheaper car that isn't as oil dependent? No one will pay for this or the Volt. Honestly, this is a great example of why free market capitalism is not the end all/be all. When you have a market (Auto, Oil, Health Care, Banks) that is limited in terms of competition, it tends to self regulate, giving us prices that are not really what the product is worth. Governement regulation, in these cases, can be an effective tool to lead these companies back to a more accurate free market type of economics.

Tesla doesn't have the resources or experience to shit out hundreds of thousands of cheap electric vehicles yet. They are a technology company, and are taking the established route of releasing a new cutting edge tech product. You start with high costs and low numbers to get the early adopters, and gradually increase quality, iron out bugs and streamline the manufacturing process to increase profits and reduce costs. You slowly hire more workers and produce more and more vehicles. It's called a business plan.

The first generation of electric vehicles will have problems, and if there are millions of them out there a serious recall would kill the whole company.

otake said:

What do you expect? You think A/C doesn't use power? :s

El Sloth

Banned
Kruhex said:
So while there was a fully electric Jet Electra Van in the 70's which retailed for a very fair price point (went relatively fast also), there are still no electrics coming out priced for the average consumer and that look good. Wow...

You can thank Big Oil for that.

Ripclawe

Banned
The UAW today applauded Toyota and Tesla for deciding to team up to develop electric cars and at a recently closed plant in California and urged the companies hire employees who recently lost jobs at that plant.

Tell them to go fuck themselves, UAW helped create the situation that closed the plant in the first place. The last thing a startup like Tesla needs is the added costs of unions

Halvie

Banned
Vinci said:
Too bad it's pretty ugly.

So so ugly. As is the volt. Not buying any of these types of cars till they start to look decent. Tesla's cars are all beautiful, but I can't afford them :(

durendal

speculawyer said:
People this dense make me nervous.

These are legitimate worries. We know how internal combustion vehicles work in our daily lives, because we've already lived with them. We generally, as individuals, don't know how electric vehicles will fair, especially when we still have to spend ~$50 000 to get one. How much does weather affect electric vehicles? How will they fair in a Canadian winter, for example? I would like to see electric vehicles become mainstream, but they still have to be proven as worth it for mainstream consumers.

At least it looks like we're moving in some sort of positive direction when it comes to seeing these things in production, but adoption of electric vehicles won't happen over night.

Tessla has a show room in my town. Its awesome. Also I don't know if this is going on anymore, but if you buy a roadster you get a huge tax deduction

Schrade

Ripclawe said:
Tell them to go fuck themselves, UAW helped create the situation that closed the plant in the first place. The last thing a startup like Tesla needs is the added costs of unions
So true.

plasmasd

Has Leno made a joke about these cars not being able to stop yet? Seems like something he would shake his pointy chin at, while his voice gets really high pitched.

Leno: "Hey Kev, did you hear that Toyota and Tesla are teaming up to build electric cars?"
Kevin: "No"
Leno: "Yeah, apparently Toyota now wants to kill all the rich liberal hippies who were too good for the Prius"
Kevin: "Oh, is that so (giggles)"
Leno: "Yeah, you know the brakes (leno makes braking motion with foot, head shaking) and these cars are really fast"
Kevin: "Yeah..Thanks for explaining the joke to me"

Audience applause

akachan ningen said:
He didn't say it would cost that. He said IF it was that much he'd buy it.

God, why don't people read anymore?

Thank you.

I hear certain states are offering tax rebates, along with the Fed's 7500 credit, so I don't think 40k for the end user is out of reach.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Toyota, Tesla Said to Prepare Electric RAV4, RX Prototypes:

Toyota Motor Corp. and Tesla Motors Inc. will develop battery-powered test versions of the Japanese carmaker’s RAV4 and Lexus RX in the first stage of a partnership in electric vehicles, a person familiar with the matter said.

Tesla said July 10 that it will deliver two prototypes vehicles to Toyota this month without identifying the models. While Toyota also aims to test an electric Corolla compact car, the RAV4 and RX light trucks are better suited to the weight of Tesla’s battery pack, said the person, who asked not to be identified because the vehicles haven’t been announced yet.

Toyota’s President Akio Toyoda said last week the partnership with Tesla, maker of the $109,000 electric Roadster, is the first of several the Toyota City, Japan-based company wants to pursue in advanced auto technologies. Toyota, the world’s largest seller of hybrid autos, bought a $50 million stake in Palo Alto, California-based Tesla this month.

“We anticipate range and acceleration exceeding that of other announced electric vehicles of this class,” Elon Musk, chief executive officer of Tesla, said today in an e-mailed message. He declined to discuss project details.

Keisuke Kirimoto, a Tokyo-based spokesman for Toyota, said he couldn’t confirm the models. Toyota bought its stake in Tesla July 2, he said.

‘Cost Advantage’

The target for a model developed with Tesla would be for a car that costs about $40,000 with 150 miles (240 kilometers) of driving range per charge, the person familiar with the plans said.

“Toyota and Tesla engineering teams have made a lot of progress in a short amount of time,” JB Straubel, Tesla’s chief technology officer, said in a July 10 e-mail message.

Toyota’s American depositary receipts, each representing two ordinary shares, rose 13 cents to $71.20 at 9:44 a.m. in New York Stock Exchange composite trading. The shares were unchanged at 3,120 yen today in Tokyo trading. Tesla, which listed shares last month, rose 42 cents, or 2.4 percent, to $17.82 in Nasdaq Stock Market trading.

Carmakers are under pressure from regulators to develop models that use little or no petroleum and emit fewer gases linked to global warming.

Unlike Toyota, Nissan Motor Co., and other companies readying battery models, Tesla vehicles use thousands of the same type of small lithium-ion battery cells that power laptop computers.

Panasonic Venture

Toyota Executive Vice President Shinichi Sasaki told reporters Friday in Nagoya, Japan, that the company wants to study that approach to see if it has advantages over using larger types of battery cells.

Panasonic Corp., which has a joint venture with Toyota that makes nickel-metal hydride batteries for hybrid autos and lithium-ion batteries for plug-in models, said in January it would work with Tesla to develop modified lithium-ion cells for use in electric cars.

“Since Tesla didn’t develop its battery pack from scratch, there’s a cost advantage,” said Hiroshi Ataka, an analyst at consulting company IHS Global Insight in Tokyo.

Nissan, Japan’s third-largest carmaker, plans to start selling its Leaf electric car in the U.S. and Japan later this year. General Motors Co., the Detroit-based carmaker planning an initial public offering, will also introduce its Chevrolet Volt plug-in car in the U.S. late this year.

Toyota’s project with Tesla is separate from a previously announced electric car Toyota aims to sell by 2012, Toyoda said last week.

“While Toyota may be studying Tesla’s technology, Toyota has been researching its own electric car batteries, so it may be unlikely to use Tesla’s,” Ataka said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom