• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis 2k2: PS2 or Dreamcast version?

M3wThr33

Banned
Every time you'll get a loading screen in the DC version you'll think to yourself "Damn, more time wasted. How much worse DOES the PS2 version look?"

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hmm, I've only briefly tried it on PS2 so I never encountered loading. I didn't realize it was so improved in that regard.

They both look virtually the same, it's just that the PS2 version is field rendered (which equals teh jaggies).

480p on the DC. 480i on the PS2. Half the temporal resolution on a 60fps game is VERY noticeable. You do the math. If you have an HDTV or VGA, don't even consider the PS2 version.

dark10x

If you have an HDTV or VGA, don't even consider the PS2 version.
To be fair, field rendered games actually look suprisingly great when running through a good scaler. The scaler on my set actually manages to make field rendered games appear almost as sharp as some 480p titles.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Would anyone recommend the last Smash Court tennis game? I hear you can play as Soul Calibur characters.

Gek54

Jaggies are not THAT bad, but the loading time is VERY annoying on the DC, especially when training which you do 80% of the time.

Gek54

Brandon F said:
Would anyone recommend the last Smash Court tennis game? I hear you can play as Soul Calibur characters.

Smash Court 2 is as good and better than Sega Tennis 2k2. I dont know about the Soul Calibur characters. Smash Court 2 is a little more technical and requires a little more skill.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Would anyone recommend the last Smash Court tennis game?
Yeah, I still rate it as the best tennis on PS2.
And at least two unlockable characters are from SoulCalibur (IIRC the Italian guy and the Korean girl? sorry I'm bad with fighting game character names).

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Dreamcast!

Virtua Tennis was like crack back in the day.
I miss those easy going gaming days ::sigh::

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Oh crap I thought you were talking about TopSpin PS2 for a moment :p...

Anyway, PSP version of VT should be great, I can't wait.

Gek54

segasonic said:

More fluid and realistic animations, better control, better graphics. Tennis 2k2 practically hits the ball for you, tennis game for babies in comparison.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Oh what the hell, how does Mario Tennis GC fit into the equation? I recall the Gamespot review quoting it as the best console tennis game currently available or something similar.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
For Virtua Tennis/Tennis 2K2 graphically, DC/NAOMI > PS2 > PSP.

The PSP replicates the realistically fluid animation and therefore has the overall impression of the console versions, yet most of the graphical aspects have still incurred some downgrading compared to the DC. Objects, like the players, are modeled with less geometry, shadowing is more pixelated from a lower proportional resolution, texture quality on the characters and the environment is reduced, and the image quality is rougher in ways like not having anti-aliasing to counteract the PSP's lower display resolution.

dark10x

Lazy8s said:
For Virtua Tennis/Tennis 2K2 graphically, DC/NAOMI > PS2 > PSP.

The PSP replicates the realistically fluid animation and therefore has the overall impression of the console versions, yet most of the graphical aspects have still incurred some downgrading compared to the DC. Objects, like the players, are modeled with less geometry, shadowing is more pixelated from a lower proportional resolution, texture quality on the characters and the environment is reduced, and the image quality is rougher in ways like not having anti-aliasing to counteract the PSP's lower display resolution.
What the hell are you basing that on? You can't make those judgements based on screens (aliasing, shadows, etc. are not as the screen would suggest)

Why must you continue to speak of things you know little of?

Hell, it's not as if the models are good in any version...

vtennis_screen020.jpg

vtennis_screen027.jpg

You are probably basing your shadow comments on a certain screenshot we recently saw. Very foolish.

Lazy8s

Graphical definition can be retained on a lower resolution screen and does not have to succumb to so much aliasing if the image is rendered at a higher resolution internally before scaling down to the output. For reference, the Dreamcast's version of Virtua Tennis at a small size:

vortal_pic_13436.jpg

vortal_pic_13431.jpg

vortal_pic_13435.jpg

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Lazy8 said:
texture quality on the characters and the environment is reduced
That's a natural result of rendering for a smaller screen.
Unless textures were already very low-res on console version, you'll want to reduce them for the small screen.

Lazy8s

Texture quality is more than just resolution, and texture resolution would've had to have stayed in proportion to the image resolution for the downscaling to have just been a natural effect.

dark10x

We just have to remember that Lazy is basing everything on artifacted screen shots that do not properly represent VT on PSP.

That's why his posts are so flawed (well, one of MANY reasons).

Top Bottom