• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tencent scraps plans for VR hardware as metaverse bet falters

lukilladog

because-it-was-the-right-thing-to-do-gerard-butler.gif

pqueue

Good.

All these devs and whatnot can barely shit out a few good games for these devices, yet they somehow think creating a virtual world is the logical step to focus on.

Focus on games to build your user base AND to work on the tech. THEN you can MAYBE consider your stupid "virtual reality" worlds that no one is asking for.

Last edited:
LOL. Shocking.

Sony makes great products and all, I just think PSVR 2 sounded like maybe a great idea 3 years ago, but the market has contracted so much since then. Best of luck and success to them for their launch, but I just think the trends and the condition of the market is not in their favor.

R6Rider

Gold Member
LOL. Shocking.

Sony makes great products and all, I just think PSVR 2 sounded like maybe a great idea 3 years ago, but the market has contracted so much since then. Best of luck and success to them for their launch, but I just think the trends and the condition of the market is not in their favor.
What are you even talking about?

Sony isn't going for a VR "metaverse". They're simply going for games.

And no, VR is growing, not shrinking.

Romulus

So if you're building a VR device, you have to have a metaverse clone? The article makes zero sense. Guess Sony, apple, and valve should scrap their hardware too.

nemiroff

Gold Member
None of the companies who jumped on the metaverse bandwagon knows what the metaverse is, including Facebook. I'm happy though because the R&D thrown at it probably fastlaned some VR innovations that hopefully can be used in the future.

None of the companies who jumped on the metaverse bandwagon knows what the metaverse is, including Facebook. I'm happy though because the R&D thrown at it probably fastlaned some VR innovations that hopefully can be used in the future.
Oh, they know what they want Metaverse to be; an extension of real life. All the bad parts of real life involving real money transactions and censorship. They just couldn't figure out a way to make it fun.

This along with the production reductions and staff layoffs at Pico/Bytedance/Tiktok who have been attempting to be competitive, shows the VR market is barely sustainable and there's little profit yet.

Remember Quest 2 sold ~8million in 2022 and Zucker still almost lost $14 billion even with those sales and whatever money made off accessories, software, etc on top of that.

So if you're building a VR device, you have to have a metaverse clone? The article makes zero sense. Guess Sony, apple, and valve should scrap their hardware too.

The problem is making a competitive product even without the verse part. Hardware/Software is unsustainable.

This along with the production reductions and staff layoffs at Pico/Bytedance/Tiktok who have been attempting to be competitive, shows the VR market is barely sustainable and there's little profit yet.

Remember Quest 2 sold ~8million in 2022 and Zucker still almost lost $14 billion even with those sales and whatever money made off accessories, software, etc on top of that.
is like trying to sell apple juice without the apples

Top Bottom