• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Telegraph: Tory and Labour MPs plot secret deal to ensure soft Brexit

Shiggy

Senior Cabinet ministers are engaged in secret talks with Labour MPs to secure cross-party backing for a soft Brexit, it has emerged.

Some of the most senior members of Theresa May's team have been discussing how to force the Prime Minister to make concessions on immigration, the customs union and the single market.

There have also been discussions of a cross-party Brexit Commission to agree common ground between the parties and ensure an orderly withdrawal from the EU.

Mrs May is understood to have been “aware” of the plot for several days but so far has done nothing to stop it.

Ruth Davidson, the increasingly influential leader of the Scottish Conservatives, told Mrs May in a meeting on Monday that she must “reach out” to other parties and “work with others on Brexit”. She added that there should be “changes in the offer on Brexit as we go forward” - a direct challenge to the Prime Minister’s authority.

Writing in the Daily Telegraph, Lord Hague, the former Tory leader, puts forward a plan for how a cross-party commission would work.

He suggests that the election result requires “a change both of style and substance” in Government, and should be treated as “an opportunity and a duty to tackle intractable issues in new ways”.

Gaining cross-party support, he says, will require a change in “the emphasis given to the UK’s objectives, with a clear indication that economic growth will have priority over controlling the number of people entering the country for work”.

A commission would include business leaders, the first ministers of devolved governments and “the leaders of all the opposition parties – yes, even Corbyn” to agree common ground.

He also suggests that Britain could join the European Economic Area, like Norway, for two years as a staging post to full Brexit.

More at:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/12/tory-labour-mps-plot-secret-deal-ensure-soft-brexit/
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/exclusive-cabinet-sensibles-plot-soft-brexit-a3563036.html

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
If this is the approach, then why fucking leave at all? To tick the box and say, "there you go, Mr. Voter"?

Weird as it sounds I at least understand a hard Brexit situation. This "soft" approach just seems utterly pointless.

theaface

I'll treat the Telegraph with a degree of healthy skepticism, but fantastic news if true.

Obviously this does make leaving the EU completely pointless as all we'll have ended up doing is sacrificing our vote on critical issues and a key seat at the table, but then any chance of staying in the EU is long gone.

All we can hope for now is that common sense and cool heads prevail, and we don't drive this country's economy off a cliff because of stupid populism over immigrants.

hodgy100

If this is the approach, then why fucking leave at all? To tick the box and say, "there you go, Mr. Voter"?

Weird as it sounds I at least understand a hard Brexit situation. This "soft" approach just seems utterly pointless.

because leaving is stupid. but to save face they have to leave, but they will do it in the softest way possible so that the uk doesn't destroy itself.

kmag

I'm not sure the EU will allow it without a treaty guarantee they won't just leave when they sort things out. Gove was talking about the EEC for two years. What's in it for the EU? It just gives their competitor time to get it's ducks in a row. While Brexit is damaging for the EU, in terms of legislature and organisation it's not really so much work for them when the UK leaves whereas it's a clusterfuck for the UK.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Well well well.

M3JqqnF.png

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
This "cross-party Brexit commission" is getting a lot of play in the media.

The way I see it it could be real or it could be a way to test the waters before putting out an actual plan. That could depend on whatever coding Maybot's technicians are doing.

Theonik

This should have been the plan from the start. You can't do something like this without cross-part concession. The early election was a shitshow.

hodgy100

i've been fucking saying this since the vote last year a 48/52 was no where near a mandate for the hard brexit hardon they've had going on.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
oh boy oh boy oh boy

One of the biggest challenges is replacing the huge EU subsidy scheme for farmers after Brexit. On on BBC Radio 4's Today programme, he confirmed the Conservative manifesto pledge that subsidies would remain at today's levels until 2022.

Farmers are also extremely concerned that Brexit may mean the migrant workers who pick much of their harvest will not be available after Brexit. Gove said:

As we bring migration down to sustainable levels, we'll do so in consultation with industry and one of our most important manufacturing industries is agriculture, so we need to make sure that the workforce is there and the support is there.

So basically keep all the EU regulations with no say in Europe policies. Lol what a complete shitshow. At least the sane people in the UK would evade the worst outcome.

Goodlife

No way, we actually need migration to help our economy? I, for one, am shocked, I was told and fully believed that migration was draining us dry and everyone who was coming over was a scrounger.

Hmm, now, how could we sort that? How about we have freedom of movement, but anyone who comes over here and doesn't have a job after, say 3 months, has to leave? That sounds fairly sensible doesn't it?

If only there was a system like this we could put in place within the current EU rules....

Meadows

Banned
All of these firings etc are very good news. This paves the way for a softer Brexit that hopefully will keep us as close to being in the Single Market as possible.

Ideally we'd be staying in the EU, or if not then EEA. But it is true I think that the driving factor behind the leave vote was, whether we like it or not (I fucking don't), the end of free movement.

That means that we can't stay in the Single Market, but hopefully there's some negotiation with Europe on the closest thing possible to it so that it can be sold to voters but keep immigration going to support our economy.

Let's not forget, although the EU is in a hugely strong position in these negotiations, it is in their interests to try and get a decent deal with the UK, otherwise they will suffer too. Not as much as the UK will, but they will still face a large black hole in their budget and lowered growth.

On a side note, I have been a bit bemused at the way that EU officials when interviewed are repeatedly saying things like "Britain needs to be ready" etc. The idea that a "Britain" exists at the moment is a bit of a lazy thing to say when there's so many different conflicts and fractures going on at the moment.

I think the language of "Britain needs to do X" or "the UK needs to do Y" really doesn't correlate with reality. They should be saying "the British government needs to do X".

As much as I understand their perspective and frustration (which I share) I can't help but think that thinking of the UK as a single entity that they can negotiate with isn't a bit idealistic.

theaface

No way, we actually need migration to help our economy? I, for one, am shocked, I was told and fully believed that migration was draining us dry and everyone who was coming over was a scrounger.

Hmm, now, how could we sort that? How about we have freedom of movement, but anyone who comes over here and doesn't have a job after, say 3 months, has to leave? That sounds fairly sensible doesn't it?

If only there was a system like this we could put in place within the current EU rules....

Get outta here with your facts, reason and logic. If I can't buy a house or get a job, it must be because the country is FULL UP with immigrants taking all the accommodation and taking ma jerbs.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
As much as I understand their perspective and frustration (which I share) I can't help but think that thinking of the UK as a single entity that they can negotiate with isn't a bit idealistic.

It's an strategy. The EU positions as a cohesive front (which it is, for the first time in decades) while the UK's is forced to hastily ready itself, reducing its bargaining power.

Time (as long as we don't run out of it) greatly works in the EU's favour.

Heigic

The entire government is going to operate behind her back while Theresa continues to mutter strong stable leadership

Loved Piers Morgan interviewing Gove this morning.
'So you're a cabinet Minister? This is a Tory backing newspaper and one you've actually written an article for today...and you're saying you haven't read the front page story?'

Gove replies 'No, I haven't.'

*Piers picks up a copy and reads the story while Gove chokes on his mug of tea*

Still don't know what "soft" Brexit means.

EEA member? That means 4 freedoms.

Bilateral trade agreements? That'll take several years to complete.

Is this a Norway or a Turkey?

And the sad part is, no one really knows.

Top Bottom