• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TCL Technology have said that a new Xbox Series S/X and PS5 Pro are coming in 2023/2024

DaGwaphics

I would only like this if they actually took advantage of them.

But they probably wouldn't as much as they should/could, and then you are already in the realm of a PC pricing in which you can scale the settings yourself.

True, that might kill the idea. You'd really need the box powerful enough to double the framerate of XSX/PS5 across the board, that way even if the console wasn't being supported well you'd at least get the higher fps.

Haggard

Banned
The ps5 is behind the ps4's original sales by now and the end of the chip shortage is nowhere in sight. I'd like to see capable Pro models, but I seriously doubt that either company could do much more than a paper launch in the foreseeable future.....

The US should help TSMC transition out of Taiwan before China tries to take it over.

No. You got that backwards. China will invade and take over Taiwan illegally as soon as TSMC is not there anymore. the 12 TSMC factories in Taiwan is the ONLY reason why China has not invaded Taiwan.

Quasicat

Gold Member
I bought a 4K tv when I got the One X. It’s probably a mix between how far I sit from the tv and how I’m pushing 50, but I can’t really tell the difference between 4K and 1080p. I imagine 8k would be even more so.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Sony and apple learned from “pro” versions. Every new phone these days have plus, max etc. these next 6 months will be PS5 Pro spec speculations.

Tygeezy

8k 60 hz is complete worthless. They should focus on making ray tracing perform better at current reduction and higher refresh rate.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The Pro & One X was probably a little more successful then the PSP Go
It's not happening again.
FFS we're still getting cross gen games.🙄
I mean can you imagine the size of the PS5 Pro.
It probably have a full scale T-1000 in it to keep it cool.

Last edited:
Microsoft could drop a 20GB RAM Series X design without a single design change other than replacing the 4 1GB RAM chips with 4 more 2GB RAM chips.

So.....what will the next Series be called? Xbox Series XX?
wont read other posts searching to the same answer anyone else will do...

Xbox Series XXX

It will have an advance chip, which will allow human/furry/nonhuman/them/they/whatever/everything in their birth suit with extreme details...

My Eyes Pain GIF

DaGwaphics

Microsoft could drop a 20GB RAM Series X design without a single design change other than replacing the 4 1GB RAM chips with 4 more 2GB RAM chips.

Wonder what would net a more useful boost, that or bumping the bandwidth like was done with the desktop cards (which might be a bigger performance bump on console since there is no IC)?

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
Think of the ps5 as a computer with a Ryzen 3600 and a GF 2070. Nobody in creation would think this system that was mid tier 4 years ago is some powerhouse of any kind that doesnt need upgrading. Nobody except console only users that is. ps5 and series x are not very strong or capable. Even though we havent had many next gem games, they cant even handle old gen games without a million compromises in details and resolution. Even thouth this article is bullshit and its not a confirmation of anything, people should absolutely want stronger systems than what we have now. But i dont think there's gonna be mid gen refreshes, the last time it was because of 4k tv's exploding.
Here we go...

Why is it so difficult for PCMR zealots to understand that many console gamers don't give a damn about these so-called 'millions of compromises', never mind stump up top dollar for it.

I enjoy having both and am happy to spend a significant amount of components, but most people don't get a hard-on for state-of-the art hardware and just want a console for a few hundred dollars. Look at how significantly the PS4 outsold the PS4 Pro when it was released for example.

After decades of gaming, you would think nerdy enthusiasts would understand this 😁

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The irony.
irony GIF

Still can't find a PS5 "normally", that's ridiculous.
Still can't find a lot of tech normally though

Guess they better not make the 4000 series video cards until every single person has a 3080

Or not make any model year 2023 vehicles because car lots are currently cleared out

Companies are not going to stop moving forward because chip makers are running behind

Ybarra always told me Xbox was always thinking to the next console I am sure Sony will do the same

Unless next gen systems have unique gameplay or features, the big selling points will probably be higher res, RT at 60/120 fps, some other new graphical effects and a bigger SSD. Midgen Pro and One X selling points were basically better visuals and 1tb storage standard. Thats it aside from One X 4k optical drive.

Some console gamers will pony up. Some others will wait for a real next gen system in 2028.
I get that some gamers will want this and I am not knocking them for it but it just seems like a waste with all things considered, like the lack of next gen games that isn't even pushing the consoles we have now.

Think of the ps5 as a computer with a Ryzen 3600 and a GF 2070. Nobody in creation would think this system that was mid tier 4 years ago is some powerhouse of any kind that doesnt need upgrading. Nobody except console only users that is. ps5 and series x are not very strong or capable. Even though we havent had many next gem games, they cant even handle old gen games without a million compromises in details and resolution. Even thouth this article is bullshit and its not a confirmation of anything, people should absolutely want stronger systems than what we have now. But i dont think there's gonna be mid gen refreshes, the last time it was because of 4k tv's exploding.
No one buys consoles for high end performance, the only reason the mid-gen refreshed happened was because companies wanted to push the sales of 4K TVs. Buying a PS5 pro to play cross gen games at 120 fps with RT seems like overkill to me but I get that an audience is out there for it.

Last edited:
Bring it on. Moving again in November and have space for a really nice theater room - Series XX or whatever will go very nice in there. Hope they don’t hold back and go nuts with the power.

KXVXII9X

"Buy an 8k tv so Mafia Definitive Edition scales better" I can see that on the next LG Oled campaign.
I wouldn't be surprised if people fell into this marketing and all bought expensive 8K TVs just for an upgrade that would change little in the grand scheme of things.

8K? Netflix tier for 8K is going to be over 40 bucks a month in the future.
4X the memory needed?
Series X elite 64GB of memory
Series S elite 40GB of memory

The S is going to get a pro version too right?

But... why? To fix the split bandwidth?

It would fix that immediately, yes. They did something like this once before by going to a traditional unified memory design with One X. Only this time this change requires a whole lot less work. It would actually lead to an immediate boost in raw performance with no other change other than fixing the split bandwidth. And games wouldn't have to be designed any differently. And with the smaller node, it might not be as expensive to drop that 20GB in there, either.

sachos

The more options the better no? Why are we mad at this? I would make it 2024 though, give the tech a little more time to mature. If they really do a Pro model i expect way better RT hardware and ML hardware to do AI upscaling like DLSS.

It would fix that immediately, yes. They did something like this once before by going to a traditional unified memory design with One X. Only this time this change requires a whole lot less work. It would actually lead to an immediate boost in raw performance with no other change other than fixing the split bandwidth. And games wouldn't have to be designed any differently. And with the smaller node, it might not be as expensive to drop that 20GB in there, either.
Ok, But if they're going to make a whole other sku for developers to worry about they'd have to increase the gpu as well.

Ok, But if they're going to make a whole other sku for developers to worry about they'd have to increase the gpu as well.

That's what I'm saying, it's easy to release a 20GB Series X without changing a single thing about the design. No change to GPU either. The Series X already comes with a 320-bit bus. 10 memory controllers. 6 of them has 2GB memory chips, the remaining 4 has 1GB memory chips. Make all the chips on the 10 memory controllers 2GB, and just like that you have a 20GB Series X with no need to bother with making any other changes. Based on the design of the series x, this is a realistic scenario if they can manage to make having the 20GB affordable enough for them to do it. Games designed for launch Series X would only run great on this 20GB Series X, they would run better simply due to the consistent memory bandwidth offered by the fully unified 20GB. And for devs who felt like it, they could make enhancements.

Zero development changes would need to be made. Hell, it could even replace the launch Series X safely with zero disruption to games development. This wouldn't be treated as some kind of mid-gen refresh, but just as a refinement that happens to benefit from more RAM the same way Xbox One S supported features OG Xbox One didn't, like HDR.

As far as mid-gen refresh, I've always strongly believed they were coming. Let's see if they do.

ParaSeoul

I'd say this is just wishful thinking to try and drive sales of 8K TVs, which have had a terrible adoption rate year after year with predictions of sales numbers constantly revised/lowered.

Playing Dead Space 2 in 8K DSR on my 4K TV is absolutely amazing so native 8K would be phenomenal I'm sure but we aren't there yet and shouldn't rely on not near native quality upscaling to get there.
Yeah TCL have no way of knowing,I'm assuming this is basically their guess to what those consoles can do to get more people on 8K.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yeah TCL have no way of knowing,I'm assuming this is basically their guess to what those consoles can do to get more people on 8K.
Probably. Got to pump up something to promo 8k.

It's not like there's tons of 4k content to begin with and 4k tvs have been selling for years. So it's not like tv and movies will suddenly jump to 8k promotion. No wonder there's so many people who are happy sticking to 1080p. Unless their TV breaks and the only thing available are 4k to buy, they'll milk their 1080p forever.

I dont think too many people load up on 4k movie discs, nor have cable providers with tons of 4k channels either. Rogers Cable only has a handful of 4k channels and last time I checked it was one general entertainment channel of music videos and the rest are sports. And TSN4k doesn't even loop content 24 hours. They only show certain live broadcasts on game day and then shut down for the night.

When 8k tvs are in full swing, there might be zero content for it aside from a small number of 8k tv/movie discs and whatever consoles can push 8k games.

Last edited:

I Master l

Banned
Xbox lead architect said there are no future when the Series X cost 300 $ to make, this means big consoles will still
cost 500-450 $ to make in 2023, For a Pro console to be meaningfuly more powerful it could cost 600-700 $ to make
and they still have to make next gen consoles that should be even more powerful in 2026-2027 and cost 500 $ to make ?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Xbox lead architect said there are no future when the Series X cost 300 $ to make, this means big consoles will still
cost 500-450 $ to make in 2023, For a Pro console to be meaningful more powerful it could cost 600-700 $ to make
and they still have to make next gen consoles that should be even more powerful in 2026-2027 and cost 500 $ to make ?
If that happens with future console tech, sales "should" tank. Then again PS5/Series X demand at $500 US has been sky high. Maybe amped up $600-700 at the beginning, then having it slide down to $500 in its final years isn't so bad. Cor gamers accept higher prices.

But if shit hits the fan and console gamers are locked into a $500 max threshold, than console sales will tank in later versions. No wonder they are focusing on streaming and PC ports.

We're not there yet, but in 2027 when next gen starts, we might be at that bridge if PS6 and Series Y are $600-700.

vpance

That's probably true given the current semi conductor situation. But the thing is demand is still high, so there will likely be a market for these despite the cost.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Not interested even slightly.

We haven't even really had next-gen games yet lol. What a joke.

Thank god ..

Faith hasn’t been lost in replies like this one, yea I moved to another platform but man some people still didn’t get their XSX/PS5 and still no real Next-Gen games to really show what next gen really is. It’s a total failure to bring another version which is powerful than what we got but still no huge difference than the last gen ( which is should be called next-gen regarding its outstanding performance next to some games )

Now that we are talking about it .. don’t you think they were on a hurry? releasing PS5&XSX?

Esppiral

I am still waiting to see a game that uses all the power of the next gen and they are already planning new models ? Lol

MastaKiiLA

What is the point if they can't even manufacture enough of the base model? Economies of scale should favor continuing to make the current model. Not sure what there is to gain from a Pro model, unless it's priced so high that it's profitable from launch.

BlueHawk357

By the time PS5+ and SeriesX+ come out, over 90% of game profit will come from Free-To-Play or subscription services. I’m not exaggerating at all. Just look at the current statistics and trend.

RPSleon

TCL. I dont think this is confirmation of anything, only forming a pattern from previous consoles and using that to guess the future.

Anyone know what the image is actually for?
Are they just trying to push new tvs and using the potential new consoles to back up their plans?

I think its purely guess work.
Why would TCL know anything about the inner workings at Sony and Microsoft?

Last edited:
Top Bottom