• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria |OT| The Band of the Crowe

Quick question. Just got the
geoboard
, was wondering how far I am from the end.

Pretty much came to terms with the fact I won't finish it before Andromeda comes out next week, just wanna know how much farther I've got to go.

Hikami

Just started this up since I finished NieR.. First thing I did was look at the DLC.
Man, I really want some of these costumes but $10 for one pack? wew.

Can you get any costumes in-game?

Just started this up since I finished NieR.. First thing I did was look at the DLC.

Like 2 or 3 per character, which has always irritated me.

Stop tempting me to spend money on cosmetic accessories, Tales games!

*shoves Velvet into a bathing suit*

Droplet

There's a jacketless version and alt color of each character's original costumes that you can get through side content. Velvet also gets her villager and prisoner clothes that she wears early on in the game. Aside from that, each character can get a waiter costume, swimsuit, winter outfit, bath towel, and Normin/Bienfu suit. These are all pretty unremarkable colorwise and they're all the same between genders. You still have a little customization with the accessories, which is a little nice, but I've never understood why they're so stingy with the types you can wear together.

kewlmyc

Like 2 or 3 per character, which has always irritated me.

Stop tempting me to spend money on cosmetic accessories, Tales games!

*shoves Velvet into a bathing suit*
It's an improvement in the Xillia and Zestiria games, when you got a color variation costume and maybe one other costume if you were lucky. Everyone here gets at least 3 alternate costumes including a color variation and a "jacket less" costume, as well as a costume that changes the music.

Hikami

I'm really liking the battle system. I usually play Tales games on Normal or Moderate, here though I just turned it up to the Hardest difficulty pretty early on. Also helps that the gear system isn't confusing like Zestiria's.

Lucreto

I think I am in the final area
innominat space station thing
and the normal enemies are doing serious damage.

What level should I be on moderate difficultly?

Giolon

I made it to the final boss around 75-80 or so, and it wrecked me. I had to come down to Normal bc of the
spell casting spam.

Worked up through that dungeon starting in the mid-high 60s I believe, on Hard.

Taruranto

These sub-quests are the end are nice, they would have been better if the game decent itemization and costumes so they could give you interesting rewards.

Just got past
the Inominat reveal and the earthpulse. Holy fucking shit. Velvet :( and Phi had his manly moment

The dub VA work was phenomenal here.

Cornbread78

~5-7 hours story content, depending on speed. Tons of side quests open up at endgame, so if you do those it'll be quite a bit longer.

Damn.

I gotta say, as cheesy as it might have been, that scene with
Laphi, Velvet and the escape from the earthpulse
was pretty damn awesome! Magilou is awesome...

Taruranto

Finished.

I'm surprised how much I enjoyed the story and the characters in the end, I got bored midways with the whole
therions-collecting business
, but the story picked up after that. Phi and Eleanor were my favorite characters. Magilou was the only character I didn't like much, it felt like she got shafted in development a lot and most of her backstory was optional.

The gameplay on other hand got boring after 10 hours. Dungeons and fields would embarrassing in a C-tier Compile Heart RPG, the skill system never feels like you make actual progresses. As for the battle system, it's easy and the game should be renamed Tales of Stunneria. Also the OST only has like 1 decent track.

I guess I would rate it 5/10, but probably even lower given the middle game slog but maybe not because I enjoyed the ending part.

squall211

I just finished the game yesterday. Overall, really enjoyed the journey. The characters were fantastic and it was nice to see a main child character not be annoying, and arguably have the best character growth out of any of the cast.

My only real gripe with the game was that it was just too piss easy on normal. I never came close to dying once, to the point where other than the last few story boss fights I hardly ever looked at my party's health bar. Without exaggerating, I think I used less than 15 healing gels total throughout the game, and possibly 5 life bottles.

That being said, I actually have an urge to go back and revisit Zestiria again to see all the connections (I don't have a dislike for the game like a lot on here seem to).

I'd love to get a third game set in this world, starring Eizen and his path that leads him to his ultimate fate.

Hikami

Ended up buying the first costume pack, liked the game enough so far to do so. Don't think I've ever bought any costume DLC for any previous Tales games I've played actually..

Anyone able to tell me how far in I am? I like to just stay in an area for a while and just fight stuff for a few hours while watching something else so the playtime is unreliable.

I was chasing down some priest we had to kill but he turned into a daemon and ran away.

Cornbread78

Ended up buying the first costume pack, liked the game enough so far to do so. Don't think I've ever bought any costume DLC for any previous Tales games I've played actually..

Anyone able to tell me how far in I am? I like to just stay in an area for a while and just fight stuff for a few hours while watching something else so the playtime is unreliable.

I was chasing down some priest we had to kill but he turned into a daemon and ran away.

Still pretty early if your where I think you are.

Spman2099

You can really see the berserk similarities with this game

I guess maybe sorta a little. However, Berserk was considerably more nuanced, and really dealt with themes of morality in a more mature and sincere manner. There are a lot of half-steps in Berseria. The story isn't particularly challenging. The characters undermine their own traits frequently. The silly skits are effective, but the rest of the game's story is fairly poorly told. Too many contrivances, too little substance. I feel like Berseria had some ambition, but the writers didn't have enough backbone to follow through on their own premise. As is, it is a very standard take on the good vs. evil paradigm.

Phased

Been finished with this for awhile but I'm strongly considering a second run through
on new game plus

Hands down it's become one of my favorite Tales games. The characters were pretty good and the story wasn't bad at all. I'd almost say it brings Zestiria up a little bit due to how they're linked however when all is said and done nothing can save that game.

Im not sure I'd mind a third game being set in this world if it was more like Berseria and less like Zestiria
especially since it seems like there is a story to tell about Artorius and his former master

Celcius

°Temp. member
Is there a trick to getting the 100+ but combo trophy? My max is 36 right now and it feels impossible to get close to 100.

Funny you mention this... my maximum combo was 99 :(
I did it on my first playthrough without even realizing it and now the trophy just taunts me. :(

Astrael

Is there a trick to getting the 100+ but combo trophy? My max is 36 right now and it feels impossible to get close to 100.

I got a 121-hit combo by accident earlier in the game on either one of the bosses or a dire foe (I can't remember which), basically just kept up a constant stream of therionization with Velvet and a low damage weapon, and didn't get knocked out of it by sheer luck. I've never been good at combos in Tales games so I don't have any true strategy to offer here :(

Phased

I got this on accident by fighting a dire foe in the beach area on Hard. Find something with a lot of HP and just juggle theronization.

The easiest way is to wait till you unlock Magilou level 3 mystic arte, the move does 50 hits on its own. And you can easily launch it by performing a mystic arte chain with Magilou in last positions (chain goes lvl 1-1-2-2-3-3).

redfox088

Banned

I played the game on intense and am now
stuck at the final boss...the difficulty spike in the final area is rediculous

redfox088

Banned
I just finished the game yesterday. Overall, really enjoyed the journey. The characters were fantastic and it was nice to see a main child character not be annoying, and arguably have the best character growth out of any of the cast.

My only real gripe with the game was that it was just too piss easy on normal. I never came close to dying once, to the point where other than the last few story boss fights I hardly ever looked at my party's health bar. Without exaggerating, I think I used less than 15 healing gels total throughout the game, and possibly 5 life bottles.

That being said, I actually have an urge to go back and revisit Zestiria again to see all the connections (I don't have a dislike for the game like a lot on here seem to).

I'd love to get a third game set in this world, starring Eizen and his path that leads him to his ultimate fate.
I'm going to replay zestitia this summer during the gaming drought as well as watching the anime
i didn't even realize Laphicet was Zestirias final boss when I booted Zesterias in game story synopsis...they even mention Inominat and Artorius

Cornbread78

You need to reach the final dungeon to unlock everyone's 3rd mystic artes

Ok, I think I'm headed there now. I just finished off
Aifread and everyone has lost their free will, so I have to go inject into the Lifestream in the mountains
Am I almost there? Please tell me I am, I really want to start Horizon, Nier or Mass Effect, all of which are starting at me when I look at my gaming shelf..

Fauve

Ok, I think I'm headed there now. I just finished off
Aifread and everyone has lost their free will, so I have to go inject into the Lifestream in the mountains
Am I almost there? Please tell me I am, I really want to start Horizon, Nier or Mass Effect, all of which are starting at me when I look at my gaming shelf..

You have one more dungeon after the volcano to beat the game. And after the volcano you have a few hours of sidequests to work through if you choose to do it.

Cornbread78

You have one more dungeon after the volcano to beat the game. And after the volcano you have a few hours of sidequests to work through if you choose to do it.

Dammit! I'm loving this game but c'mon...

I hope I can fly through these last couple dungeons...

Cornbread78

Ha, I feel you. The final dungeon is really long as well, and finding the 3rd MAs and break souls if you want to will add some more time.

I wanted to finish the character side quests that popped up (only 2 did for me) during gameplay, but the world have been locked out for a long, long time now. Does it open back up prior to the end?

Fauve

I wanted to finish the character side quests that popped up (only 2 did for me) during gameplay, but the world have been locked out for a long, long time now. Does it open back up prior to the end?

Yep. You'll get free reign to go where you want to right before the final dungeon.

aitakute

150cad1addcc326f6c5d4c3ad767d571.png

Please do the right thing

Top Bottom