• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Arise - Beyond the Dawn - Announce Trailer | Launches November 9, 2023 on PS5, PS4, XBS, XBO and Steam

Oh, this news is kind of lame. Was hoping for a completely new entry. Although the game looked nice, I didn’t care for it as much as some last games, like Vesperia or Berseria. Was really hoping to go adventuring with a whole new group of people. I haven’t watch the trailer yet, so maybe it will be OK, but my initial reaction is that it’s kind of lame.

Comandr

bored christopher walken GIF

Arise sucked. The sooner we can leave that in the dust the better. Also the "I'm gonna make everyone equal" story has been played to death.

Isa

A lot of the same assets, seems kind of cheap sadly. Not sure if I'm on board with this. At least give them new outfits. Unless it takes place before the ending but I have no desire to see the story through again.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Huge surprise for me. Loved the game and I'm glad to see they are still hanging to Arise and it's characters.

I'll binge the DLC for sure, even more knowing it plays out after the main narrative.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Nice I loved arise! I at least once a month just run around and kill things lol.

If it’s a true expansion and not a “ here’s a new team that starts at lvl 0 “ my team will probably breeze through it they are do over leveled now lol.

Astral Dog

I really liked Tales of Arise, and never expected to see a 'sequel' to the storyline(though i like it more for the quality action,visuals and characters than the plot)is this DLC? either way its day one!

Minsc

Gold Member
Late, unexpected but not unappreciated! Arise had no shortage of issues, but it was entirely average in a good way, and the corny story was charming enough. Will enjoy a little more time with the cast.

SantaC

Oh, this news is kind of lame. Was hoping for a completely new entry. Although the game looked nice, I didn’t care for it as much as some last games, like Vesperia or Berseria. Was really hoping to go adventuring with a whole new group of people. I haven’t watch the trailer yet, so maybe it will be OK, but my initial reaction is that it’s kind of lame.
Same feelings. Make a new entry and move on

Doom85

Yeah, I remember reading on gamefaqs that work on the next new Tales title has already begun, so this is separate from that as this is just DLC, but still wish they weren’t wasting time on it especially if it’s the same cast. I agree, Vesperia and Berseria had a far better cast and story, and I’d even put a few of the weaker Tales casts/stories such as Graces, Xillia, and Zesteria above Arise’s. The fact that Arise skits were not only an unwelcome change in art style, but also focused almost entirely on just plot or characterization aspects already established meant the cast felt pretty one-dimensional.

Arise did have a nice boost in graphics, but the world felt even more linear than past Tales games. It’s the only Tales game besides Xillia 2 (which annoyed me due to 90% of the locations being copy/pasted from the first game) I couldn’t bear finishing.

Sleepwalker

I have Arise but haven't been able to force myself after beating the bald dude in the beginning of the game... Maybe I should go back to it at some point

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So the horrible pop in is still there lol

I've only played the demo on PS5. I played the full game on SX in the Quality mode cause it's almost always within the VRR range, don't recall noticing any egregious pop-in, maybe that's different in Performance vs Quality mode. I cannot say for sure.

Sleepwalker

I've only played the demo on PS5. I played the full game on SX in the Quality mode cause it's almost always within the VRR range, don't recall noticing any egregious pop-in, maybe that's different in Performance vs Quality mode. I cannot say for sure.

apparently it was patched, nice. Might be time to try it again.

Paltheos

I might check it out. I doubt my core concerns will be addressed and the trailer does not inspire confidence, but I like doing everything in these games since they're a Big Deal to me. If it's mega junk I might reevaluate that stance for future DLC.

Arise sucked. The sooner we can leave that in the dust the better. Also the "I'm gonna make everyone equal" story has been played to death.

Not unilaterally. It's... not good, but it has a few good things going for it. I broke it down a couple months ago.

Mid on the whole (my ranking is Vesperia>Graces>Berseria>Zestiria>Abyss>Arise>Symphonia>Xillia or something close). The game does allot of stuff right and allot wrong. Off the top of my head:

+Presentation's on a whole other level. The world is so much bigger than before and the combat is as flashy as Tales has ever been.
+Sakuraba swung and hit this time. Most of his music is really good - particular shoutouts to the main battle theme and the dynamic tracks in major dungeons that switch gears depending on whether you're in the field or battle.
+Start of the story is decently exciting and the main duo have good chemistry. I dig the Utena callback and the fire sword in general.
-Ironically, the mixing is kind of garbage, making the awesome tracks not as easy to hear as they should be and somehow Bandai doesn't have individual volume sliders for different sounds (music/voice/sfx are the standard three).
-Some elements of the combat interface were annihilated. For god knows what reason, AI instructions for your teammates are not available in this title and you can't... say, instruct your party to attack other monsters on the field instead of the one you're trying to combo. Baffling.
-The rest of the cast did not land with me. Part of this might be related to replacing the 2D animated artwork in skits with their in-game 3D models which have... just so less personality.
-Story falls to pieces by the end, as is often the case in Tales games, but this one's particularly memorable for its mind-numbingly long and tedious cutscenes by the end. Middle section isn't great either.

I've largely settled on "mid, for a Tales title".

IAmRei

finally, a motivation to finish the game first is coming.
i was not amused and often fall asleep because the music is not good for me, tiring me much to hear those kind of BGM. ultimately i left ToA for FFXVI.

my progress with FF XVI is also not smooth, because i have lot of work and had to go to tokyo game show, but after that i will finish FF XVI and will go to ToA once more

adamsapple

Posting some pics from earlier in the year, the water-color style gives the game a distinct look.

4-23-2023_3-22-34_pm-a9dmq.png

talesofarisexboxserie4me7j.png

talesofarisexboxseriez6fcn.png

-Zelda-

Banned
I am really looking forward to this. At first I was excited thinking it was a full sequel ala Tales of Xillia 2, but this is still really cool.

Fbh

Meh, way too late to release DLC for a game like this. Also there's so much recycling in that trailed you'd think this was content coming out a few months after release, not 2 years.
Would have rather have them spend that time and money on a new entry

I need to play Arise, game looks good and after HZD I'm in a need for non-western stuff lol
After giving it a serious go, Arise only looks good imo. The balancing and boss scaling is all over the place. Enough to deter me from wanting to continue playing.
Bosses are the definition of spongy and can one-shot your entire party even though your entire squad is the same level as the bosses.

You can clear entire dungeons with 0 difficulty, then run into a boss that is the same level as the enemies you've been fighting, but
for some reason they one-shot your entire party and require you to grind. Had to turn it down from hard to normal, but then on normal
the regular mobs become too easy and the game becomes boring. There's no in-between.

adamsapple

Oh damn, I completely forgot this was coming out too.

Probably later in the year, December seems like a slow month to check this out.

Top Bottom