• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition Indie Horror Showcase Trailer

Fresh from The Indie Horror Showcase, check out the latest gameplay trailer for System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition — Nightdive Studio's remaster of the 1999 classic sci-fi horror action role-playing game.

Nightdive Studios has taken their restorative talents to a game that many consider one of the best first-person shooters of all time. Like its remastered predecessor, System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition has been rebuilt for modern platforms using Nightdive Studios' proprietary KEX Engine, offering players the definitive System Shock 2 experience with improved visuals, enhanced gameplay, and vastly improved performance.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Noice. Wonder if those new textures are new or the SHTUP mod or something. Seems to be missing some stuff mods have done before though. And there was a bit of z fighting on a texture there. Either way, looks grand for a remaster, a la Quake/Quake 2. Hope they haven't abandoned VR though.

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
"Indie Horror"?

Nick Young Wtf GIF

Red5

Hmmm not seeing anything we haven't received from SHTUP and other mods from the community. Hope we get a full remake like the first one had.

Shame about System Shock 3, Warren Spector can't catch a break these days, early videos looked great.

xrnzaaas

I don't follow the project so I'll ask - why not remake the sequel like the first game? It was great and I'd buy SS2R on day 1. Besides they already have the technology and all of the tools in place so in theory it shouldn't be such a long and problematic project again.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I don't follow the project so I'll ask - why not remake the sequel like the first game? It was great and I'd buy SS2R on day 1. Besides they already have the technology and all of the tools in place so in theory it shouldn't be such a long and problematic project again.
I really wonder if they are happy they undertook the SS1 remake and I would be surprised if they made money on it. I wouldn't be surprised if they stay away from that sort of thing going forward, it's just not their strength and it was a mess, even if it turned out ok.

SJRB

Gold Member
What a sick ass trailer. Those quotes are just banger after banger, so cool.

"How does it feel to be one against the infinite"

Fucking sick.

Pakoe

I really wonder if they are happy they undertook the SS1 remake and I would be surprised if they made money on it. I wouldn't be surprised if they stay away from that sort of thing going forward, it's just not their strength and it was a mess, even if it turned out ok.
Was it a mess? It looked okay to me, but I'm also wondering if they made enough money on it.

Filben

Haven't even finished the first game because devs fucked up Steam Cloud savegames. Started on PC and wanted to continue on the Steam Deck. Not being able to play the save game on both devices is unfortunately a huge deal breaker for me.

Hope they do it right this time. Really interested in these games.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
What a sick ass trailer. Those quotes are just banger after banger, so cool.

"How does it feel to be one against the infinite"

Fucking sick.

Amazing writing and delivery. This one is my favourite:

You move like an insect. You think like an insect. You are an insect. There is another who can serve my purpose. Take care not to fall too far out of my favor. Patience is not characteristic of a goddess.

Burger

Nightdive did a great job with SS1. But their publisher can suck a dick. Prime Matter has been sitting on a patch for that game for months now that fixes a massive amount of issues, as well as adds cloud saves. Expect them to fuck this up as well.

SCB3

2 didn't really need much work to it outside of a remaster and modernising the controls slightly, 1 was/close to unplayable in a lot aspects for the genre it was, see this Review of it for more details

diffusionx

Gold Member
Was it a mess? It looked okay to me, but I'm also wondering if they made enough money on it.
It was in dev hell for years, although they did get it back on track, it was like years of lost time. I would actually be surprised if it turned a profit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom