• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System Shock Remake | Review Thread

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
But i don't go out of my way to say that controllers are better, i just hate the ergonomics of m+k, especially moving with wasd, aimimg with mouse is ok.

Use this then

7UK9P5Y.jpg

Ivan

I didn't like this from the start. The IP is great, but it needed a true modern day remake. I know it is a budget thing, but his isn't doing anything for me.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I absolutely despise playing anything with m+k.
Agreed. If Controller Support is offered then that's my go to. I avoid Mouse and Keyboard like the plague unless it's for a MMO. For this game I think you can probably do fine with using Controller for most things and just use the M+KB for menus, inventory management and similar stuff.

-----------------

Having played the demo and having watched a few reviews the big issues I have with the game is a rather tedious inventory system, melee combat is bland and lacks impact, and most if not all environments look the same/similar and can be disorienting.

The game looks great and I think if anyone played System Shock and liked it then they will like this since it's a upscaled remaster in a similar vein to Metroid Prime where all the graphics have pretty much been updated and it looks super pretty but the game is exactly the same as it was years ago.

I kinda wish it got more then cosmetic surgery and they took the things that made Prey great and applied that to SSR but on the other hand if the goal was to create a faithful reproduction of SSR they have done that here clunky gameplay and all it entails.

Because a lot of the reviews are from younger gamers who moan the game is too old school. sounds right up my alley tbh
yep the same type that grow up playing robolox, fortnite, minecraft, pubg, and all the gaas f2p shyte.

They don't know about non hand holding immersive sims, or story based games etc.. or don't care because they can't smack talk others while playing.

everytime deus ex is mentioned i feel the need to replay it , all of them except one , invisible war

i dunno if embracer will do any justice to the ip , if the rumors of coop are true then i doubt they know what makes deus ex great

instead of focusing on , level design complexity , non linear/branching story , environmental storytelling , cities with alot of verticality , alot of useful skills that lets you traverse the areas anyway you want

nah we dont want any of that , just give me coop , a 5v5 multiplayer pvp mode , a battle royal mode and we get a GOTY deus ex
For real, wtf.... What is with these publishers and devs. They are leaving money on the table thinking they will be the next fortnite and pissing off old head fan base like me. "Modern Audiences" can go choke on one....grrr. Hate when pubs devs focus on that over what an ip is actually about. Only one getting it right these days seems to be Nintendo, and thats only because they are a few gens behind in the online front. I bet next gen even they will be all over the gaas trend.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Does the final version include Public Image Ltd.'s Order of Death? Nice homage to Richard Stanley's 1990 Sci Fi film, Hardware.
Yeah, that's like the first thing I noticed after firing up the game, lol. You can hear the song faintly playing from the headphones that are on the bed in the opening scene.

God I hope that it appears somewhere else in the game. I love this song so much.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Not sure how I feel about the pixellated textures. Seems like a bit of a weird artistic choice considering that everything looks so great from a distance. I think I'd rather have the graphics clean but eh... not a big deal, though. I barely just started and I'm already digging the hell out of it.

I told myself that I'm gonna wait until my holiday leave that I have coming in a month but god damn, I can hear this game calling to me. I don't think I can wait that long. It feels so good...

fe2.png

diffusionx

Gold Member
Agreed. If Controller Support is offered then that's my go to. I avoid Mouse and Keyboard like the plague unless it's for a MMO. For this game I think you can probably do fine with using Controller for most things and just use the M+KB for menus, inventory management and similar stuff.

-----------------

Having played the demo and having watched a few reviews the big issues I have with the game is a rather tedious inventory system, melee combat is bland and lacks impact, and most if not all environments look the same/similar and can be disorienting.

The game looks great and I think if anyone played System Shock and liked it then they will like this since it's a upscaled remaster in a similar vein to Metroid Prime where all the graphics have pretty much been updated and it looks super pretty but the game is exactly the same as it was years ago.

I kinda wish it got more then cosmetic surgery and they took the things that made Prey great and applied that to SSR but on the other hand if the goal was to create a faithful reproduction of SSR they have done that here clunky gameplay and all it entails.

Originally I think they were planning a remake with more comprehensive changes, then it went really awry and they had to restart development. And even then it took an extra three years of work.

This was the right move. Not trying to impugn Night Dive's ability or talent but they have primarily been a port house, and look at what happened with the KOTOR remake, also being done by a port house. When you start talking about redesigned levels, mechanics, etc., it's just a different game. It's one thing to faithfully remake a map from 1994, it's another totally different thing to make a brand new map. Night Dive did not make Prey. Hell can even Arkane make Prey anymore?

What people wanted with this was a way to play SS1 with some modern conventions while retaining the old game's design and atmosphere and it sure seems like they nailed it.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Night Dive did not make Prey. Hell can even Arkane make Prey anymore?
Probably not. I'm not really sure if the devs that worked on Prey are the same that worked on Redfall. I assume much has changed inside Arkane and that they have different staff. Prey is considered a spiritual successor to System Shock series as a whole and it has a lot of similarities.

I think a lot of people had expectations for Redfall coming off of Prey not realizing Prey was a one hit wonder and Redfall was just trash in comparison.

KOTOR remake was going to fail because they were changing too much that it may as well be a different game altogether and they really I think just wanted to have a cinematic narrative when both Kotor 1 and Kotor 2 had a DND style combat system and were choice driven Bioware RPGs. And with Kotor 2 Obsidian Entertainment made an amazing scenario with very good writing. IMO Kotor should just not be altered in anyway except maybe making adjustments to it's DND system to be more like Kotor 2 or improved a bit.

As I said I have a few issues with the gameplay SSR has but I think it's a decent "remaster".

Roni

Gold Member
Probably not. I'm not really sure if the devs that worked on Prey are the same that worked on Redfall. I assume much has changed inside Arkane and that they have different staff. Prey is considered a spiritual successor to System Shock series as a whole and it has a lot of similarities.

I think a lot of people had expectations for Redfall coming off of Prey not realizing Prey was a one hit wonder and Redfall was just trash in comparison.

KOTOR remake was going to fail because they were changing too much that it may as well be a different game altogether and they really I think just wanted to have a cinematic narrative when both Kotor 1 and Kotor 2 had a DND style combat system and were choice driven Bioware RPGs. And with Kotor 2 Obsidian Entertainment made an amazing scenario with very good writing. IMO Kotor should just not be altered in anyway except maybe making adjustments to it's DND system to be more like Kotor 2 or improved a bit.

As I said I have a few issues with the gameplay SSR has but I think it's a decent "remaster".
History took a bad turn when they forced Arkane to rename Prey. Heard it was going to be called Typhon or StarSeed. Neuroshock would've been appropriate though...

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Played it a bit, about 1 hour in.

Holy shit this game is good. I looks fantastic and it just oozes atmosphere.
Though as fuck and confusing, that's true. I'm probably making things harder for myself because I'm scared as fuck to waste bullets... but I'm having a blast, and it just confirms how pathetic critics are.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
The atmosphere is incredible. Extremely disturbing and dystopian. Love it!

It doesn't seem all that hard in the beginning but gets punishing pretty quickly. Backtracking is very dangerous. Feels like the game is relentlessly pushing me forward. A very intense game to say the least.

I do hope they take all their time to convert the controls for consoles just right. This will go a long way for the enjoyment of playing with a controller.

Nothing to complain about. Wonderful so far.

A button for "vaporize all" would be cool. :messenger_beaming:

Edit: Very satisfying how medical looped back to the beginning. So far it's just epic. Escapism at its finest.

I stopped playing but i can't stop thinking about the game.

Last edited:

darrylgorn

The atmosphere is incredible. Extremely disturbing and dystopian. Love it!

It doesn't seem all that hard in the beginning but gets punishing pretty quickly. Backtracking is very dangerous. Feels like the game is relentlessly pushing me forward. A very intense game to say the least.

I do hope they take all their time to convert the controls for consoles just right. This will go a long way for the enjoyment of playing with a controller.

Nothing to complain about. Wonderful so far.

A button for "vaporize all" would be cool. :messenger_beaming:

Edit: Very satisfying how medical looped back to the beginning. So far it's just epic. Escapism at its finest.

I stopped playing but i can't stop thinking about the game.

I play this on Steam Deck (streaming from my PC) and made some QoL improvements to the controls (through Steam).

One is the analog sensitivity (which is my own personal preference) but I can share those settings if anyone is interested. The second, and this is an easy one for anyone to make, is to change the button press on the left analog stick to toggle. This will allow you to click run instead of holding it down.

Last edited:

FeastYoEyes

Absolutely lost. Got the code for the mining laser disarm but have no clue where the mining laser disarm is.

I've been spoiled by mission list and waypoints. Absolutely ruined.

Last edited:
Absolutely lost. Got the code for the mining laser disarm but have no clue where the mining laser disarm is.

I've been spoiled by mission list and waypoints. Absolutely ruined.
Ha I can relate to this. I'm not young (started gaming in 1998 on PC) but unlike other old people I actually ENJOY the modern conveniences.

• Triggered
Reactions: Fuz

Griffon

I loved it.

Only issue it had was the trash compactor and money system. This system was tedious af to interact with (and surprise, it wasn't in the original game). Who tf thought right click vaporize on hundreds of items was a good use of the player's time.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Gold Member
patch 1.2 is coming with tons of fixes

ANNOUNCEMENT #2: Details on Patch 1.2
Below is a list of the upcoming items that we are excited to release in the next patch.

**WARNING STORY SPOILERS AHEAD**

Major

============
Cloud Sync support has been added.
Improved quest logic behavior across several areas of the game.
Players can now no longer save over the AutoSave, and the AutoSave will now only appear in the Load Game menu.
Game Over screen can now be skipped.
Mission waypoints have been implemented for (Easy mission difficulty).
Recycle Station ‘inventory’ size has increased to 4x3 from 3x3 to allow recycling of bigger junk items.
The max payout from a Recycle Station is now 120 Credits.
EMP stun duration has been reduced by 25%.
SHODAN will lock the Research control room door if the player fires the Mining Laser at Earth.
Detox patch now has a 25% protection bonus against environment hazards while active.
Fix a soft lock that could occur when dying while interacting with a Surgery Machine.
Items dropped inside of elevators should no longer disappear.
Pathfinding performance improvements in Flight Deck and Groves.
Fix a case where the player was able to clip through the world by loading games while crouched.
Fix a case where plasma projectile FX would spawn every frame and wouldn’t clean up properly, causing major frame drops.

Minor

============

SHODAN now has a surprise for the player when Diego is killed on the Security level.
Total Enemy Reinforcements have been increased across all levels.
Reduced the number of enemies that can bunch up in the same Reinforcement Volume.
Enemies will remember the player for longer on all difficulties.
Enemy line of checks include the projectile collision radius whenever possible so that their attacks fail less often.
Fixed an enemy ambush that wasn’t activating properly in the Medical CPU room if the player comes back later in the game.
Kickstarter corpse tokens added to enemies.
Enemy awareness in the Flight Deck trap room after saving and loading has been fixed.
Diego boss AI adjustments, largely in the first encounter.
Cortex Reavers can now perform a strafe jump to more quickly engage the player.
Mutated Cyborg and Tiger-Gorilla dismemberment has been fixed.
Cyborg Mantis walks faster, will sprint more frequently, and HP increased slightly.
Flier-Bots now have an Autocannon in addition to Gas Grenade attacks.
Striker-Bots now have a Laser Cannon in addition to Homing Missile attacks.
Flier-Bot and Striker-Bot textures have been improved.
Fix for Hoppers and Mobile Lasers not being able to hit the player while leaning behind a wall.
Security-1 Bot now has a rapid fire attack pose.
Cyborg Warrior now has a moving attack similar to the Security-2 Bot.
Cyborg Elite Guard head-mounted laser attack damage increased from 60 to 80.
Alpha Strain long range attack now has a unique animation.
Skorpion default inventory size has been reduced from 4x2 to 3x2.
Assault Rifle damage increased slightly from 24 to 25 per round.
Plasma Rifle now has an animation to unload the active Plasma Core.
Abe Ghiran’s Head inventory size has been increased from 1x1 to 2x2.
Missing character portraits have been added.
Cyberspace I.C.E Shield FX has been improved.
Wire Puzzle has new FX to more clearly indicate the required power level to solve it.
Fix for Circuit Puzzle dead-end nodes filling from the wrong side in some cases.
Fixed holes in the walls in Research tiles,
Berserk patches now cost 5 Tri-Credits from a dispenser instead of 4.
Shotgun ammo cost in Ammo Depots has been reduced from 15 to 14 credits.
Loot table adjustments to reduce quantity of ammo received from Exec-Bots, Flier-Bots, Striker-Bots and Cyborg Enforcers.
Ammo adjustments in Reactor, Alpha Grove, Delta Grove, Engineering, Security, and Bridge.
Reduced the number of First Aid Kit pickups in Flight Deck, Security and Bridge.
Assigned the correct idle animation to the Cyborg Drones (No more hovering guns while they are charging).
Jump Jet improvements while in Low Gravity Volumes.
Loading a save while falling will properly restore the player’s velocity.
Barrel dispensers will no longer drop their dispensed barrels when the player leaves and comes back to a level,
Energy Drain Mines will no longer prepend multiple “Destroyed” strings to their name after being repeatedly destroyed.
Fix for player losing Low-Grav/Repulsor mods when switching to certain weapons.
Improvements to how the enemy AI handles changing Repulsor Lift direction.
Reactor’s Repulsor Lifts have been adjusted slightly to fix potential soft locks.
Fix for the player being able to exit the Diego V1 arena by blocking main doorway.
Doors will more elegantly restore their collision state when loading a save.
Shotgun shell texture has been fixed.
Crack-O’s are now no longer considered Junk.
Fix for certain wall monitors not breaking when attacked.
Fixed small animation issue with the Isolinear Chipset on the Bridge.
Fixed sparking cable issues on Maintenance.
Fix for several achievements not completing properly.
Small text adjustments and spellings.
Music playback adjustments.
Fixed a potential audio component memory leak when concurrency limits were reached.
Added a Controller Vibration accessibility option,
Improved gamepad support on MFD,
Improved automap performance.
Fixed several visual artifacts on the automap.
Automap will always update the map info bar with the data for the currently selected level.
Implant tooltips will no longer display off the edge of the screen on certain display configs.
Fix for the ‘Back’ button on gamepad causing the player to crouch when exiting menus.
Credits updated.
Other minor improvements, adjustments and balance tweaks.

e6dad09929e1214ca5323681943c63a3.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom