• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Symphonia, Vesperia, Zesteria, or Berseria?

Which Tales game?

• Symphonia

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Vesperia

Votes: 38 53.5%
  • Zestiria

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Berseria

Votes: 14 19.7%

• Total voters

teezzy

Banned
Feeling the Tales hype after that new trailer

TOA_06_ONYX_Steam_GIF_040821_v1_EL.gif

LOOKS SO HYPE

Which Tales game you prefer, nerds? These are the ones I have.

I have nostalgia hard for Symphonia from GCN and have the Steam release on my PC.

Vesperia I have the Deluxe Edition on Steam and Xbox (probably gonna play Steam)

Zestiria I've heard mixed things about but it looks a''ight

Berseria I've heard was awesome and have had it in my backlog since it dropped

Don't ask me why I have all these Tales games and have only played Symphonia - dont even think I beat it as a kid lmao

giphy.gif

looks like Lloyd shows up in Vesperia or something?

GET OFF MY BACK :messenger_angry:

Seriously - tell me about which one of these is most hype - no spoilers plz

CloudyKnobbyKakapo-size_restricted.gif

Im still playing through Golden Sun for now... but this Arise trailer has me straight itchin'

Thanks nerds

Kimahri

Banned
Zestiria is crap. Berseria has a good story, but is otherwise overrated crap. Vesperia definitive is a bloated filler version of the superior original Vesperia.

So play Symphonia. Unless you can grab a copy of Vesperia without all the garbage filler stuff.

Symphonia is genuine greatness though. Absolutely loveable characters

Sleepwalker

Symphonia. Berseria has a decent story but I ended up just watching it on youtube instead of playing through it.

Skipped Zestiria, never played Vesperia, literally just downloaded it earlier lol

Tschumi

Feeling the Tales hype after that new trailer

TOA_06_ONYX_Steam_GIF_040821_v1_EL.gif

LOOKS SO HYPE

Which Tales game you prefer, nerds? These are the ones I have.

I have nostalgia hard for Symphonia from GCN and have the Steam release on my PC.

Vesperia I have the Deluxe Edition on Steam and Xbox (probably gonna play Steam)

Zestiria I've heard mixed things about but it looks a''ight

Berseria I've heard was awesome and have had it in my backlog since it dropped

Don't ask me why I have all these Tales games and have only played Symphonia - dont even think I beat it as a kid lmao

giphy.gif

looks like Lloyd shows up in Vesperia or something?

GET OFF MY BACK :messenger_angry:

Seriously - tell me about which one of these is most hype - no spoilers plz

CloudyKnobbyKakapo-size_restricted.gif

Im still playing through Golden Sun for now... but this Arise trailer has me straight itchin'

Thanks nerds
It's like we're living adjacent lives or something rofl

---

Tales of Symphonia, Lloyd is a fucking god, coop on GameCube was insane

I didn't enjoy any of the PS3 titles,i can sense the old magic in vesperia but it's not as engaging as Symphonia. Arise ... I'm digging the new naming convention

Last edited:

GeekyDad

I have nostalgia hard for Symphonia from GCN...
Yup, same here. My kids were still young (my youngest was five), and we'd play it together each day when everyone got home. Game had terrible dialogue, but a great sense of humor. It was a good fit for us.
Phantasia
The next one in the list for me, for sure. As a Tales game, it's probably the best one for me.
Symphonia easy. 2D combat > 3D combat.

giphy-downsized.gif

Plus this.
Exactly. Though I've played through Abyss several times, I still greatly prefer the 2D combat system of Symphonia/Phantasia.

KielCasto

Zestiria was my introduction to the series. I thought it was good, and my experience with Berseria wasn't any better. Zestiria does have my favorite opening music

Symphonia, gameplay-wise, was much better. Managing equipment was so much simpler than in Zestiria and Berseria. The in-battle camera didn't give me a headache after 10 seconds. I liked the puzzles in dungeons and seals. A complaint I can think of is how unnecessary Presea and Regal are to the main story, at least from what I remember.

I haven't played Vesperia.

Trumpets

Vesperia is the last game in the series that felt like it had a full budget; everything since seemed to be made on the cheap.

Arise looks like a return to form though.

Symphonia for me, then Vesperia. I just love the puzzle filled dungeons in Symphonia, and the art, atmosphere, music, everything.

I liked Zestiria and Berseria, but old schoold tales are best for me

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I've only played Symphonia to the end, but I really enjoyed it, despite the pretty silly plot. If I had to say why I liked it, it'd probably be that the whole game feels very polished and ultimately satisfying. The world(s) are large and have lots of places to explore with lots of side quests, the dungeons fairly well constructed with some genuinely decent puzzles that help break it ever so slightly away from the extreme linearity found in many JRPG dungeons, the battle systems are fast paced and allow just enough action-based control that it seems "different" from any other RPG yet familiar enough that you still feel like you're having a solid strategic/tactical RPG experience, and finally while the stories are relatively simple and even silly they still feel like a lot of charm and soul went into their construction. Chrono Trigger has, by all accounts, a cliché-filled, silly plot, but it's almost tongue-in-cheek and has so much charm that it's still fun and adventurous. I got that same feeling from Symphonia and what little I've played of the others. All of these little, nice things come together to make an all around solid experience in a genre that usually only requires one glaring fault for it to sour for a given player.

I played Phantasia (SNES version) for about two hours out of boredom one day as training before I started Symphonia. It was fun, but I don't see myself going back to it anytime soon.

NahaNago

I've only played berseria and vesperia from this list and greatly preferred vesperia everything after that felt cheap. I might have played symphonia because that girl and guy character seems like characters I know. Graces f was a no and xillia 1 I stopped playing after awhile.

Xeaker

Berseria.
Symphonia 2. disc is horrible!
Vesperia has horrible Dialogue and they all are like kids mentally.

Shifty1897

People generally say Symphonia and Vesperia are the best.

I liked Phantasia, Symphonia, Xillia and Berseria. You should play Berseria if it's sitting in your backlog, it's not more than 50 hours unless you're a completionist.

Arise looks amazing.

Boss Mog

Bamco has been lazy with ports. Where are the PS4 ports of Symphonia, Graces f, XIllia 1 & 2? It's like they don't want money. I'm holding on to the faint hope they'll announce something at their conference.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Berseria easily. Love the main protag. Decent story and I enjoyed the combat and appreciated the super moves being quick and not super long.

The mage character also has the most satisfying spellchains.

Meicyn

Gold Member
I bought the original and rerelease of Symphonia on PS3. I would buy it again if it were ported to PS4 or PS5. I point to my repurchase of Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne for a third time as evidence. I want to play it again but both my Gamecube and PS3 died.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Skip Zestiria, pick ANY of the others and you'll have an amazing time OP (I voted for Vesperia though).
Just watch the anime of Zestiria for free on crunchyroll.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world

Berseria best jrpg of its generation​

Vesperia is overrated might have my least fav characters of any tales game gameplay was nothing special it didn't grab I feel like being a jrpg only on 360 (in the us) gave that game a certain type of hype and for a lot of people its the only tales game they've played

Symphonia was a fun time and Zestiria while not good gameplay wise might have my fav cast

Tschumi

Er i didn't mean to ruin those other titles for you, I'm sure Vesperia at least is as good as Symphonia, and the other games have their fair share of fans so chin up

Top Bottom