• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Successful weight loss and maintenance stories?

SegaHeart

Banned
My weight loss story I weighed 235lbs, then lost 30lbs in 4 years fast but eating fast food I was not happy it was taking long, So I went to a Nutricienist but a 5 star Nutricienist with 20+ years of experience and thin I did not go to Nutricienist that are new or under 2 years I spent 90$ per monthly sessions she gave out a plan for me She I told her I Drink alot of Soda and eat mcdonalds chicken sandwich she said to drink less soda but don't eliminate soda because my brain is still enarmored with Soda same with chicken I ate grilled chicken instead and used this
7eMTpyQ.jpg

as a smoothie in the morning I takes time like few weeks to make me not be hungry but only the nutricientist knows how much eating this I stopped being hungry then I lost alot more I lost 73lbs more then weighed 132lbs in 1 year and a half with new changes since hitting 170lbs like eating this salad from walmart cobb turkey

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
My weight loss story I weighed 235lbs, then lost 30lbs in 4 years fast but eating fast food I was not happy it was taking long, So I went to a Nutricienist but a 5 star Nutricienist with 20+ years of experience and thin I did not go to Nutricienist that are new or under 2 years I spent 90$ per monthly sessions she gave out a plan for me She I told her I Drink alot of Soda and eat mcdonalds chicken sandwich she said to drink less soda but don't eliminate soda because my brain is still enarmored with Soda same with chicken I ate grilled chicken instead and used this
7eMTpyQ.jpg

as a smoothie in the morning I takes time like few weeks to make me not be hungry but only the nutricientist knows how much eating this I stopped being hungry then I lost alot more I lost 73lbs more then weighed 132lbs in 1 year and a half with new changes since hitting 170lbs like eating this salad from walmart cobb turkey
Raw Organic Fit includes the following ingredients 400mg of Svetol, which is the clinically studied amount; this naturally decaffeinated green coffee bean extract works as a fat burner by reducing glucose intestinal absorption and inhibiting the enzyme glucose-6-phosphatase in the liver, which helps the body burn fat instead of sugar.
We included 300mg of RAW Organic Ashwagandha to help reduce cortisol levels and manage stress related carbohydrate cravings.
Raw Organic Fit provides 120mcg (100% Daily Value) of RAW Food-Created Chromium in Raw Organic Fit to support the action of insulin, a hormone critical to the metabolism of fats and carbohydrates including sugar.

Cinnamon helps with weight management by slowing the emptying of the stomach, which in turn, helps to reduce fluctuations in blood sugar after eating.

Read up about it and this is what they claim. I don't know if any of it is true, but that's pretty cool if you say it curbed your appetite

SegaHeart

Banned
Raw Organic Fit includes the following ingredients 400mg of Svetol, which is the clinically studied amount; this naturally decaffeinated green coffee bean extract works as a fat burner by reducing glucose intestinal absorption and inhibiting the enzyme glucose-6-phosphatase in the liver, which helps the body burn fat instead of sugar.
We included 300mg of RAW Organic Ashwagandha to help reduce cortisol levels and manage stress related carbohydrate cravings.
Raw Organic Fit provides 120mcg (100% Daily Value) of RAW Food-Created Chromium in Raw Organic Fit to support the action of insulin, a hormone critical to the metabolism of fats and carbohydrates including sugar.

Cinnamon helps with weight management by slowing the emptying of the stomach, which in turn, helps to reduce fluctuations in blood sugar after eating.

Read up about it and this is what they claim. I don't know if any of it is true, but that's pretty cool if you say it curbed your appetite
Definitely and I have proof here though wont show my Face will show the 1 year and a half 191lbs weight loss to weighing 132lbs

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/mnX1OGesel0

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/RVkwGMlEutU

Last edited:

SegaHeart

Banned
12Goblins 12Goblins I highly advise you to go to a well respected 5 star or 4 star and a half nutriencist because many people have different hunger for food I different kind I was mostly a soda and chicken sandwich eater like 5 or 6 chicken sandwiches from mcdonalds so a well respected nutriencist with background of helping others lose weight is the most reasonable option though that was 90$ per hour a month or 45$ for 30 minute per month with California high prices nutricientist give the right plan, This is all done withought exercise at the gym I lost weight without exercise She says it's all in the food though in your state your nutrientist will probably want you to exercise . I know my nutricienist wanted me to exercise alittle but I said I can't with very weak arms . Alot of Nutrienist have different plans just dont overpay 100$ per month I guess? Unless you live in California the most expensive state I'm sure the prices inflated since war and pandemic?

Last edited:

Brigandier

I was an out of shape depressed 106 kgs hot mess early in the year, Totally overweight and down in the dumps but I found the spark and the motivation to go back to Kickboxing training which I've done since late 2002.

I have had many surgeries on my bad groin and hips over the past 20 years so in total I've probably trained fully for 12 of them 20 years, I stopped October last year at 80kgs and I piled on the pounds like crazy, nearly 7 months later I had gained 26kgs in weight from way too much shit food, candy crisps/chips and too much soda and 0 exercise....

I'm back to a very good level of fitness and I'm down to 88kgs which I'm really happy with but admit I've still got work to do as the belly is still big and I would like to get to 75kg which is my overall current goal.

I am determined to hit my target for next summer or maybe a little later, Marathon not a sprint etc etc but within 12 months I want to be in the best shape I've been in since my early 20s.

I've cut soda out completely and drink lots of water, Much more fruit and veg, more white meat, trying to avoid sugar like cereals and candy and processed junk and eat sensible carbs before training and proteins after, once a week I eat whatever I want for main meal and snack out in the evening, Then back to sensible eatting following day.

The journey continues 😂

Edit - stress/depression related carbohydrate hunger is absolutely real... I've over the years put weight on due to these cravings. I live in the UK but I'm gonna check out that Raw organic fit!!!

Last edited:

FatallyYours

Gold Member
I lost about 8 stone (112lbs for non UK people) very quickly over a few months due to a mix of heartbreak and depression lol
Got my physical health back, but I wouldn't do it that way if I had a choice! Kicked my ass
Must have restarted my metabolism as I now eat whatever and hover around 11stone (154lbs)

DavidGzz

Without lifting, there is zero success for me. I am hardwired to eat enough calories to keep me around 200 pounds. Lifting allows me to be at a healthy bodyfat percentage while remaining there. So I can fit in what I love to eat, daily. It has to be a lifestyle. Maintenance requires happiness.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I lost about 8 stone (112lbs for non UK people) very quickly over a few months due to a mix of heartbreak and depression lol
Got my physical health back, but I wouldn't do it that way if I had a choice! Kicked my ass
Must have restarted my metabolism as I now eat whatever and hover around 11stone (154lbs)
I was always skinny until about 18-years of age. I hit rough depression in college which grew to manic depression when I was 25. That's why I was ballooned up at approximately 320 lbs (about 23 stone). I've already written a few posts back about my journey back to normal 147 lbs (about 10 stone) but likewise I ate extreme out of my depression years. When I moved abroad and got married , the depression left and the will to be healthy came back. Never going back to depression or eating beyond my routine diet I've had 5 + years now.

I have empathy with anyone struggling to lose weight who's heart broken, lonely or whichever.

I was always athletic and working out so it was never an issue, and then I hit my 30s.

The main thing that hurt me was my diet, I’d eat out a lot. As my career grew so did my timely demands. I also admittedly had long-term depression so eating luxurious foods helped me cope. I’d stay around 205-207 but before my normal was 190.

But none of this was a problem until I started having severe knee issues, when I hit 210-215.

The only diet that I like is stage 1 of the wahls protocol and that helped me shed and maintain weight easily. But man does it take a lot of cooking which is hard to keep up.

But I will say that me getting dual ruptured patella’s, and now reconstruction one knee at a time has not made me gain weight because my diet has been better and I lost a lot of weight after the surgeries.

I feel like doing wahls 1 is my happy place. I’m back at 190-195 and like that zone.

Last edited:
I lost about 80 pounds 9 years ago. 65 of that was within 6 months, and the last 15 was kind of a one off thing during an incredibly strenuous camp that I was medical counsel for; after I finished this camp, I actually would fall asleep whenever I would eat food for about 2 weeks.

I gained it back slowly between 2016 to now. I've been pretty steady at the current weight, but I'm much fitter than I used to be [currently not as I have just had a crazy ass bout with an illness and then surgery following the illness - I'm only now allowed to exercise again].

I can't say I ever ate the healthiest, but I would have a vegetable stir fry alternating with a shrimp stir fry each week, sometimes both in the same week, and then I would alternate healthy and unhealthy meals. I essentially stopped eating fried foods and breads during this time period. I would get about 2 15 minute walks in in the morning and afternoon, and then an hour long walk in the evenings most days out of the week. I would usually eat out once a week. I also would work in swimming and weight lifting 2-3 times per week. On weekends I would go hiking, and in the winter I would ski.

Sometime around 2016 I started to have an absolute aversion to my vegetable stir fry and my shrimp stir fry. I have gotten better about enjoying my vegetable stir fry, but the shrimp stir fry has been hard to surmount. At my workplace people just bring me food, and that's hard to avoid; I also get free lunch twice a week. I am somewhat selective about my lunch choices now.

Part of my troubles with food include:
Clif Bars: These are candy bars disguised as energy bars, because they are energy bars, but they taste like delicious. They're a wonderful replacement meal when you're doing a 10 mile hike, but they're dangerous to have around the house immediately after getting home from work, or immediately after dinner.
Trail Mix: I've never taken trail mix.. on the trail. I've had to just stop buying this, and I buy honey roasted cashews instead, which I do not snack on as hard.
Yerba Mate: I got into a bad habit of relying on these for caffeine. They have about 120 calories each, and are delicious. I went for a decade without any liquid calories outside of almond milk, and occasionally regular milk. I have remedied this by buying some incredible loose leaf chocolate mate and a portable tea strainer for work.

What I do right:
I am a very active person. Since late August I have been forced to not exercise, and I have really struggled with it. I can exercise now, but I am having to shift my routine to the morning because my nether region gets sore nightly because of fluid shifting lower due to my surgery. Part of being an active person is also what I do wrong; it drives my hunger and eating habits.

What I think hurts me:
My friend circle has largely dissipated into their own little nuclear families. I think I am prone to eating if I am not around friends enough. I know that sounds corny. My best friend might be moving back soon, but it's so expensive here that I'm not sure he'll be happy with what he can afford.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Prior to moving to Mexico in 2016, I suffered depression and ate my way up to 320 lbs. The first photo of my wife and I in Disneyland from 2017 sorta shows that. I was about 290 lbs then...
LZlc0IC.jpg

I ended up with a blood disorder similar to Lupus in 2017 and nearly died. The hemotologist suggested that my toxic diet played a part and I could never eat junk food agqin. Drink only water or one cup of coffee, all natural foods, only natural salts or sugars, nothing processed, no cooking oils, fast food, etc. From 2017 to 2019 I dropped down to 162 lbs. I've kept fit, so I'm at 148 right now. This is a lifetime diet and it worked.
YdnV0r2.jpg

Couldn't be prouder.
We walked the same paths sans the medical issues, with that said the mental issues..

Looking at your before picture i think i was around the same weight; 288lbs Google says.

Respect man. I don't say that lightly.

And keeping on it is the hardest part i feel so double respect.

You, man, you got some fire inside you and never ever let anyone let someone tell you otherwise

Give a PM if you don't like me quoting your pictures. I'll edit them out.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Couldn't be prouder.
We walked the same paths sans the medical issues, with that said the mental issues..

Looking at your before picture i think i was around the same weight; 288lbs Google says.

Respect man. I don't say that lightly.

And keeping on it is the hardest part i feel so double respect.

You, man, you got some fire inside you and never ever let anyone let someone tell you otherwise

Give a PM if you don't like me quoting your pictures. I'll edit them out.
Thanks breh.

Quote away. The weight never came back. I'm stuck on a very strict diet for life due to some blood issues. If I regained anything, it'd risk me going back through hospitals again. The amount of energy I got back too is something else. So, physical activity is key to that health.

kikkis

I thought I update bit. Gained extra 22kg from 105kg in the end of September to July this year.

Now I have lost 7kg since start of July. I have been to gym for 6 months now.

I spent over 1100€ on junk food like candies and chips during that 8 months long binge.

Regardless i feel hopeful and overall good about getting to goal weight ultimately. It's going to require to stay fairly clean on junk food. Week ago I ate 1000 kcal worth of candies and almost started a new binge, since I was so hungry for couple of days after it.

Jinzo Prime

Gold Member
I thought I update bit. Gained extra 22kg from 105kg in the end of September to July this year.

Now I have lost 7kg since start of July. I have been to gym for 6 months now.

I spent over 1100€ on junk food like candies and chips during that 8 months long binge.

Regardless i feel hopeful and overall good about getting to goal weight ultimately. It's going to require to stay fairly clean on junk food. Week ago I ate 1000 kcal worth of candies and almost started a new binge, since I was so hungry for couple of days after it.
Caught myself binge eating last night, it sucks because you know it's wrong, but you feel out of control. Just know that you are not the only one it happens to, and keep working on it.

Artoris

Gold Member
I think stews are good, some fresh vegetables with meat chicken or fish and not too many potatoes It's tasty and not too heavy on carbs and calories

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Yes, I lost about 35 kg(77 llbs). It was all about the carbs for me. First I stopped eating bread, then reducing the carbs on my diet one by one. It's not as hard as it seems. Just take your time and be consistent. Don't go from a hundred to zero in a week. Adjust slowly, that's my advice..

Last edited:

L*][*N*K

Banned
Antidepressants made me gain a lot of weight in my 20s, and last year I started working towards getting healthier and I have lost 12kgs with exercise only, I go to the gym at 6:00am everyday, the gym is empty at that time so it feels like owning the place it is really good, I try to make it more exciting by listening to audiobooks. It has been going on well and I will try to get on some kind of clean eating diet soon

NahaNago

Unfortunately no successful weight loss stories from me but I'm still working on it. My goal is just to lose 20-ish lbs by the end of the year. Mostly from eating less and walking a bit more plus lifting some weights.

shoegaze

I was just interested if you have any stories based on the title. I have tried to lose weight for 7 years ever since I got fat from antipsychotic medications. I mean I was still almost 20kgs lighter than used couple of years ago, but now I gained 5kg in three weeks. Binge eating shit is my problem, otherwise eat healthy and walking is my exercise method.
I don't have a hard sob story, because it's quite easy to do and all of this inspirational bullshit on the Internet is quite perplexing to me.

I'm 6 ft tall. Weighted 103 kg at my highest, now 83kg. Maintained the weight for 4 years now with absolutely no effort. The recipe:
  • Lift weights
  • Eat in 6-8 hour window each day
  • Drink coffee in the morning to suppress appetite
  • Every meal has to have protein
  • Every meal has to follow sequence of eating veg first, then protein, then carbs
  • No sweets except 90% dark chocolate
  • No cardio
  • Don't do shopping while hungry
It's very easy to just follow these steps without any leeway. If you start giving leeway and cheat days for yourself then you're just making things harder. Set these standards and stick to them. Takes a week maybe to stop craving sweets and just don't restart.

Control of your attention will be the main hurdle during this. If you're not used to seeing things through then find a meditation practice for 15 minutes each day that suits your person and build up your focus.

You may no be used to low blood sugar as well. Give it time and you'll adjust. Unless you are diabetic or pre-diabetic there is no harm in doing this. You just may feel weaker than usual in interim.

You got this.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Yeah, Ive also tried to lose weight for 7 years. Just didnt work. I dont eat sweets. I dont eat over 2000 calories. I exercised somewhat regularly. Nothing worked. 7 fucking years. I asked my doctor. He kept saying just exercise and watch your diet which is what i was doing already.

Then in July of this year, I found some youtube videos on intermittent fasting. What stuck out to me was the coorelation between weight gain and pre-diebetes. Basically insulin resistance is when your body fails to break down sugar and stores everything as fat. Visceral fat, mostly around your belly. Doesnt matter if you arent eating sweets, all carbs will get turned into glucose which will turn into fat if you are insulin resistant. I finally asked my doctor to do a test and yep, my A1C was in the per-diabetic range. Every time I would eat, Id have a sweet craving or Id get MORE hungry. You can have the biggest meal in the world and still be hungry. Thats insulin resistance in a nut shell.

So I cut carbs to the bare minimum and started intermittent fasting. My last meal would be at 6PM. Then I would skip breakfast the next morning only having black coffee which doesnt break the fast due to having 0 calories. Eat lunch at 12. 18 hour fast. It was AWFUL for the first few days. My body had adjusted to crave late night snacks and snacks after dinner. I felt like having a drug withdrawl. Hungry, annoyed, and tired. Then in a couple of weeks, my body got used to it. Nights were much better. I could go longer during the day so pushed my lunch to 2PM. 20 hour fast. Then eventually 24 hour fast. No lunch. only dinner. That meant my body was functioning on reserved body fat 12 hours after my dinner, giving me a good 12 hours of fat burning.

Lost 10 pounds in 3 weeks. Mostly water weight, but have lost 5 pounds each in the last three months. Losing 25 pounds in less than 4 months is insane.

I also walked a lot. Like 10k steps a day. Walking burns fat whereas running burns carbs. It also doesnt tire me and it isnt boring like lifting weights so that was perfect. Still, if you want to lose weight fast, you have to build muscle which will burn more fat at night while you sleep, and weight lifting is the best for that. I still mostly stick to walking. Ive cut down on limiting carbs. Used to have fewer than 50 a day by using low carb breads and protein only diets. But now I have around 60-80 carbs. Some bread and rice. Weight loss has slowed but im still seeing results thanks to intermittent fasting. Im simply not hungry and I didnt have to completely stop eating sweets, fast food and my favorite rice dishes. Though if I had a big lunch from Mcdonalds I would simply skip dinner. IF made my body no longer crave dinner.

Exercise is only 15% of the equation. The rest is having a good diet. You will never be able to eat only vegetables or zero carb protein only diets so thats also impossible. Intermittent Fasting will train your body to not crave food. So at the very least, you wont be snacking at night or between lunch and dinner and you will be saving 300-400 calories by simply not snacking everyday.
Try 30kg/66lbs in a month, its doable. Currently setting out to do the same thing, because fuck hospitals and its legacy, when they kick you out. Because I find out that I am pre-diabetic as well and for like 3rd time in 4 years... Its a struggle, that transplant didn't come without its own sacrifice.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Try 30kg/66lbs in a month, its doable. Currently setting out to do the same thing, because fuck hospitals and its legacy, when they kick you out. Because I find out that I am pre-diabetic as well and for like 3rd time in 4 years... Its a struggle, that transplant didn't come without its own sacrifice.
thats crazy. i just gained back like 12 pounds after stopping intermittent fasting. going back on the same diet again. at least i know its doable.

MrMephistoX

Quitting drinking alcohol and sugar entirely has done it for me and low but not zero carb along with following portion sizes. It has also reduced my late Saturday night random shit posting.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
The key is permanent lifestyle changes. I recommend taking it slow and steady. Like when I realized, a fair amount of time ago, that I was putting on too much weight, I started by cutting back on the soda I drank. Not eliminating it cold turkey but just drinking a little less. Then it all kind of steamrolled from there. Your body and mind need time to adjust to the new reality. I don't really deprive myself either, if I really feel like a snack, greasy bad food, or beer I have it. But it's just not something I have often because I don't feel like it.

I am a 65 lbs less (!) than I was at my peak as a younger man. Those 65 lbs came off in "stair steps" over a long period of time. I wasn't at that peak for every long thankfully, and I realize not everyone has that luxury, and if you're older when you start it is harder. But I've maintained my current weight for 3 years at this point. In "normal" BMI for my weight right now.

Last edited:

Terrtin

Neo Member
Well i think that we all sometimes need to think about about our weight and how to loose it. I did a lot of research about the topic in university. In crafting my nursing paper reviews on weight loss, I delved into an extensive exploration of scientific literature and research studies. I meticulously examined the intricate relationship between nutrition, exercise, and the physiological mechanisms governing weight management. Employing a evidence-based approach, I synthesized information on diverse dietary strategies, from low-carb diets to intermittent fasting, considering their impacts on metabolism and overall health

Last edited:

Tams

I mean, it all comes down to diet, exercise, and to a degree genetics. The first two being determined by commitment, determination, and perseverance.

I know it's a meme, but 'Just do it' really is the best advice. You have to force yourself at times. Can't be bothered going for a run? Just get your kit on and go. Want to eat that kebab? Don't, as much as you want it.

I'm lucky in that I have a high metabolism, but that still doesn't make you fit. I have to force myself out of bed to go running. I have to try really hard at times to not eat that biscuit. Thankfully alcohol isn't an issue for me. But you just have to persevere and eventually you get more and more occasions where you realise that your better health and fitness has helped you.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I want to bump this thread, because I don't want to make an thread where I praise some "big pharma" product, but I just want to say that I struggled hard with weight since the liver transplant, given that the glucose for cell energy is build inside the liver and my donor liver just loves to dumps it during the night that I was waking up with 20 on sugar scale (limit for non-diabetics is 5.6) and with high blood sugar, body loves to keep putting up weight even with fasting and regular working out. And let me tell you with 130kg/300lbs (*) everything is super hard to do, like work out and shit, but I kept doing it. By some luck I got some super knowledgeable diabetologist, who prescribed me with Ozempic. And well it works. 5 weeks since first administration of this medicine and I already don't have food crawings (1 food per day + some protein shake is enough, around 1200kcal) and I am down 8kgs, its a fucking miracle.

So yeah...

*191cm/6 3 in height, so good weight starts at ~90kgs, so overweight as fuck

Last edited:

kikkis

My mom has used ozempic for like 7 months. It has helped but I think the progress is quite slow now. As for myself I have managed 10 months of weight loss and now 17kg has gone away. Pace hasn't been were I want it but at least I haven't relapsed into eating. Only march so far has been bit tricky month, but other than that I have eaten fairly consistently.

Vyse

Gold Member
I just finished a nutrition challenge at my gym. Down 10 lbs and kept muscle mass which was great. Took me six weeks and was mostly counting macros. Protein, Carbs and fat. Keep my cheat meal every week.

Good luck to everyone on this journey. My goal is to live as long and healthy as my body will allow. It takes effort, but I feel I have to work hard for the good things in life. Hang in there my friends. You got this.

my way:
- eat nothing between 8pm and 12am
- go on home trainer for 30-60 minutes at about 11 am (I work from home)
- Rigjt after training drink a shake made up of banana and other fruits mixed with a spoon of protein powder and a small cup of vanilla yogurt and almond milk
- eat nothing until evening dinner
- eat evening dinner but just a normal serving

rinse and repeat.

I lost 6kg in 5 weeks, aing for 8 more.

Last edited:

Mr1999

Gold Member
I opted for an easier route and began using Saxenda after my wife experienced nausea with it. I know, I know... I obtained a prescription and acquired 10 pens from her and her mother. I weighed 257 pounds in February, I'm down to 236-237. I haven't been this slim in over 15 years at least. I've been sticking to the lowest dosage, but it seems I've reached a plateau.

Although I'm still losing weight, it's at a much slower rate now. I'd have to increase my dosage, which is what I've been told to do as im still at starting dosage, but I'm okay at this level. Plus, the pens last longer this way as they are expensive. On that front I've seen people resorting to compounding their medicine. And some places have it at like $299 a month, which isn't bad since you already save that much on buying less food every month.

I estimate that if I continue with this dosage for a year, I'll lose another 20 pounds on top of the 20. The fascinating part is that you can clearly see why you're shedding pounds, there's no lie about it, those snacks really make a difference, and also large portions are your enemy, in the end thats why I lost the weight, I know there's more involved with this drug, but that's the end result. It's simple math of calories in versus calories out.

My only fear in the beginning was that I'd no longer enjoy eating food, as I loved to eat food, but you still do, you still get hungry if you haven't eaten as much, but when you do eat you are not over doing it, again it came down to portions for me.

Last edited:

tommolb

Lost 2 1/2 stone (approx 27kg) in two months. My success was down to combining 20k steps a day (walking 10 miles) alongside eating the same thing every day (porridge for breakfast, low sugar tomato soup for lunch, wholemeal pasta with tomato sauce and tuna for dinner). No sweet snacks at all, (cos if I start I'll get into the habit of eating them daily again) and the only snacks I have were walnuts, cos of the higher protein content in them.

I still have a stone (14lbs) to loose before I hit the mid point in the normal BMI range (which is my target and the weight I was throughout my 20's) but the weight loss has ground to a halt these last two weeks so need to mix things up a little to regain momentum, so have changed the evening meal to salmon and steamed vegetables and cutting down on portion sizes of my other meals.

Consistency is the key and reminding myself every day why I am doing it (health reasons and regaining confidence). It's been rewarding to have more energy and to fit into clothes I feel good in.

Once I have hit my weight goal, my plan is to transition to gaining some muscle, while continuing to loose fat but I haven't figured out how I can do that yet (I'm too self conscious to go to a gym). I hope to hit my weight goal by July, so I have a couple of months to figure out my plan!

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
When I was 24, I dropped from 280 lbs down to 150 in about 10 months. I started off doing it responsibly but every time I'd stall out, I'd further reduce my calorie deficit. By the end, I was subsisting off 1 packet of oatmeal in the morning, and a few slices of deli meat in the evening. Probably about 200 calories total a day.

I destroyed my metabolism. When I stopped trying to lose weight, I was maintaining at about 600 calories. If I ate more, I'd take on water weight like crazy as my body was desperate to heal itself. It terrified me. And so for 4 years I would eat about 600 calories a day. I hated it. I've never been so depressed in my life. Furthermore, I was always tired and lived in an endless brain fog.

And so when I finally started eating "normally" again and regained it super fast. My thyroid is toast. I'm now 360, though I've lost about 30 lbs once i started taking thyroid medication. It sucks. Definitely some health problems, but at least I wasn't as suicidal like I was at 150.

Qwell

Recently lost about 170 lbs about 2 years ago, started around June 2022 about 400lbs (6'3" tall) and by the next summer I was down to about 215, I'm currently sitting between 220 and 225 lbs (put on some additional muscle) and I plan on keeping it off. I did this before in my early 20's (I'll be 45 this summer) where I went from 303lbs to 202lbs. I would say it was actually easier this time and I feel like I'm in just about the best shape I have ever been in despite my age. I started with just intermittent fasting, went to keto and then eventually carnivore. It wasn't uncommon to simply eat 1.5 to 2lbs of steak once a day. I'm at a happy weight right now, I had to replace my entire closet as I went from 3xl - 4xl down to a large in my shirts and went from 54" waist down to 36" waist in my pants and plan to keep it that way. I'm back to eating 2x meals a day and I'm a little more flexible with what I eat, but I try to stay decently strict monday thru thursday but I'm not kicking pizza out of bed on a Friday with the family. I eat a lot of eggs, sausage, bacon, ground meat, steaks and that is about it when I'm strict, and only 1-2 meals a day with no snacking. But I'll still eat cake / ice cream on birthdays and holidays etc, or make a bag of popcorn to watch a movie with the family.

In my 20's when I lost 100lbs the first time I wasn't really following a specific diet but I was trying to remove all the snacks and sweets, but I was eating 6x times a day just very small meals and then working out about 1.5 hours a day 6 days a week. This time when I lost 170lbs I didn't really work-out in a strict fashion, I make sure I get 10,000 steps a day (been doing that for almost 5 years now, but didn't help until I changed my diet) and I don't make excuses to move around. I would play outside the kids (just toss the frisbee or football around, ride bikes etc), but I wasn't going to a gym or anything. I did end up picking up some dumbbells so I'll do some curls, pushups, triceps here and there in the living room.

At almost 45 I run faster and farther than I ever have before, I play a basketball with a group of dads every week going pretty hard for about 1.5 to 2 hours, I go on decently long hikes without having to stop. I sleep way better (still use my CPAP out of habit), and just overall feel so much better, just wish I hadn't kept that 400lbs on for as long as I did, but better late than never.

I would say big thing is stay far far away from seed oils, and try your best to eat whole unprocessed foods, if you can't pronounce the ingredient in your food you don't want it in your body.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I think many people would be surprised by how much weight they can lose by merely buying an exercise bike and riding it five days a week. Start at low resistance and go for 15 min a session for the first week (this is assuming you've really let yourself go and are a total soft body). The next week strive for 25 - 30 minutes for a session, adjusting resistance from low to high as much as you can take for several minutes, then reducing it again.

You then gradually adjust the time spent biking while increasing resistance. After a month most people will be hitting 50 -60 minutes easy, at moderate resistance levels. You'll be burning about a meals worth of calories (roughly 600 calories) each day while also adding some leg muscle which will passively burn more calories for you daily.

Back when I was like 22 my office job combined with too much easy, fast lunches at restaurants had me gain about 15 pounds, maybe even 20. I wasn't fat or anything but let's just say my work clothes started to feel a little small. I did nothing but what I detailed above and lost all of the weight and then some in about two months. I now ride my exercise bike three or four days a week, while going back to eating out frequently, and have kept the weight off. I also sleep better and have more energy all around throughout the day.

I see a lot of dudes in their late twenties to late thirties resorting to crazy diets and crossfit and shit when they just want to lose like 15 - 20 pounds. You really don't need to kill yourself at the gym or massively restrict your caloric intake to hit those modest goals. Just buy an exercise bike and use it, eat slightly smaller portions for lunch and dinner, and take a walk around your block a few times a week. You'll shed pounds in no time.

Everyone has a vice, and for many that is food. Eating for comfort and not for satiety.

Someone could substitute that coping method with another. Pure nicotine salts like Zyn kills appetite in its tracks, and it feels good to boot!

Last edited:
I’ve found the key with antipsychotics is to seriously limit sugar intake, like legitimately almost none, and no late night carbs whatsoever. Typically like within 3 hours of bed time is a no-go. I don’t personally take antipsychotics, but have worked in the mental health field for over a decade and the majority of my case loads have been on antipsychotics and I also work closely with personal trainers in some of the mental health programs that are offered in my area. I have the same issues with anti-depressants personally, and the only one that worked for me without causing too much weight gain was Wellbutrin…but that caused my BP to spike to dangerous levels after several years of steady use. I think finding a substitute behavior for the binge eating is crucial as well. Could be something as simple as doing a quick walk up and down the stairs, or around the block instead of feeding that binge craving. In time it becomes habitual and routine instead of binge eating in those moments. Definitely easier said than done, trust me, I love food lol. Keep using your supports and good luck to you, it’s a tough road, but the fact that you posted this here speaks volumes about you and your goals! It’s possible I responded to you in the past, and I know this post is old, but still the same, I applaud the strength in posting on Gaf about this.

Meat Steak GIF by Beef. It's What's For Dinner.'s What's For Dinner.

Season 1 Episode 2 Breakfast GIF by Paramount+

Eat nothing but these 2 for a month. Fat will melt off your body.
That’s up for debate. Medications and weight gain are a whole different monster. This could potentially lead to weight gain depending on exactly what OP is taking. But I’ll be damned if that steak isn’t perfectly cooked though 😲 lol

Edit - also, interesting bump after a year and a half.

Last edited:

bronkonagurski

Gold Member
I've lost 84 pounds since September 2023. I stopped drinking alcohol and started walking at least 10,000 steps a day. I use a Fitbit to track my calories in/out to make sure I'm maintaining a deficit. My blood pressure was getting out of control and that is what inspired the changes.

SpiceRacz

Yeah, but your arteries will be fucked. Especially with those eggs.

A month of steak and eggs isn’t going to make someone’s arteries fucked. The weight loss and downstream effects of that more important

That’s up for debate. Medications and weight gain are a whole different monster. This could potentially lead to weight gain depending on exactly what OP is taking. But I’ll be damned if that steak isn’t perfectly cooked though 😲 lol

Edit - also, interesting bump after a year and a half.

Seriously doubt it. The absence of carbs and limiting to those 2 foods, his calorie intake would probably be lower.

Peter here

I went from this

tueVtMq.jpeg

To currently this:

Jpf7B5d.jpeg

And I feel great. Saving a ton of money on not having to have a forklift rental.

A month of steak and eggs isn’t going to make someone’s arteries fucked. The weight loss and downstream effects of that more important

Seriously doubt it. The absence of carbs and limiting to those 2 foods, his calorie intake would probably be lower.
It’s scientific fact that some medications cause weight gain outside of fully starving yourself. You can doubt it, but it’s not my opinion.

Top Bottom