• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Study: HFCS Prompts More Weight Gain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wads

Banned
They should do a Thank you for smoking sequel except with the Corn Lobby and FDA (and perhaps some other org).

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
elrechazao said:
1. yes
2. only to the extent that a kick in the balls 9 times is better than a kick in the balls 10 times.

Like I said, "better" not "good" :D

I drink Soda about once a month as a treat.

I drink water about 80% of the time with tea or beer constituting the remainder.

If I'm going to splurdge on something bad for me I'd rather have ice cream or cake of some sort than a soda... which is often just as bad.

I know a girl at work who claims to be on a "died" and chugs 4 diet cokes a day. Jesus. Cut those out and you'll probably drop 10 pounds in a month right there.

Yeah the problem is not that HFCS is worse than sugar it's that it's used in EVERYTHING. It shows you how much power the Corn Lobby holds and shows you ONE of the reasons why Americans are so fat. It's hard to find a product without it.

Awesome.

If the government REALLY cares about the health of its citizens, they will get rid of corn subsidies and seriously look at everything else that is being subsidized and analyze the effects they have on the nation's health.

One of the common arguments for universal or socialized health care is that it will encourage people to go to the doctor more often, that it will lead to more preventative treatments, that preventing problems is cheaper than fixing them when they've gotten worse.

I think that with that position, it's totally hypocritical to ignore the things the government does to promote unhealthiness in its citizens.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
SmoothCB said:
Just picked up some of the Agave but haven't tried it yet. How is it?

I work for a company that manufactures and sells blue agave sweeteners. I'm probably the most biased person you could ask.

UltimaPooh said:
Yeah the problem is not that HFCS is worse than sugar it's that it's used in EVERYTHING. It shows you how much power the Corn Lobby holds and shows you ONE of the reasons why Americans are so fat. It's hard to find a product without it.

Natural foods with agave are growing. It's one of the biggest pushes my company is making. We're trying our best to spread agave sweeteners not just to more supermarkets, but bakeries, restaurants and bars as well.

nyong

Banned
I'm done buying products that contain HFCS. I know several other people who have done the same. It's only a matter of time before consumer pressure equalizes the cost of using sugar relative to subsidized corn.

Aeonin

I've been sugar free for a few months now (excluding fruit of course) - no sodas, anything with HFCS, etc, etc. You can take it as anecdotal evidence - but my health has skyrocketed since.

Yes HFCS is bad, however until this study is published somewhere other than the University's website, I'm going to continue to believe there is no functional difference between HFCS and sucrose

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
IrrelevantNotch said:
Flak from who? Idiot Greenpeacers? Friends of the Earth? The simple fact of the matter is that the chemical composition of HFCS versus sucrose or beat sugar is 99.9% identical. There's no reason to believe this study isn't flawed unless you have some odd personal bias against High Fructose Corn Syrup.
They used the same argument for trans fat. I'm going err on the side of caution this time. Usually, the less processing the better.

Zzoram

I remember when the American corn industry ran commercials on TV about how great HFCS was for you. :lol :lol :lol

Everyone everywhere else has known it's not good for a long time, and it isn't used much outside of the US. However, the corn lobby in the US is insanely powerful and has managed to make basically every single processed food item in the US use HFCS.

grumble

Well, I just learned that agave sweetener is one to avoid. That stuff makes HFCS look relatively benign. Way more fructose.

Zzoram

SapientWolf said:
They used the same argument for trans fat. I'm going err on the side of caution this time. Usually, the less processing the better.

Ya, it's almost the same as regular fat, that means it's the same!

I don't understand people who think "almost the same chemical makeup" equals the same result. Almost the same with chemicals isn't equivalent to almost the same contrast on a TV.

Wads

Banned
Since the body can process and break down glucose, are there any good glucose sweeteners on the market? Google search didn't seem to help too much...

thetrin said:
Natural foods with agave are growing. It's one of the biggest pushes my company is making. We're trying our best to spread agave sweeteners not just to more supermarkets, but bakeries, restaurants and bars as well.

You should really look into Wal-Mart, since a few organic and natural food makers have hooked up with them and their business have been doing good. They covered this in Food Inc.

Ra\/en

Wads said:
Since the body can process and break down glucose, are there any good glucose sweeteners on the market? Google search didn't seem to help too much...

Not Glucose, but look up "Stevia". It seems pretty good! My wife uses it from time to time, and it tastes alright!

Zzoram

Wads said:

Just don't use sweeteners, geeze, the unending quest for sweetener just leads from one bad-for-you product to the next. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that people who use sweeteners of any kind are fatter than people who don't feel the need to add sweetener to everything they consume. If you have to use anything, use good old cane sugar.

Zzoram said:
Ya, it's almost the same as regular fat, that means it's the same!

I don't understand people who think "almost the same chemical makeup" equals the same result. Almost the same with chemicals isn't equivalent to almost the same contrast on a TV.

I'm glad you're so content with being ignorant of the issue.

grumble said:
could you explain that comment? I'm not seeing where the condescension is coming from.

The only difference between HFCS and sucrose is that the fructose and glucose molecules in sucrose are held together by a weak glycosidic bond before entering the body. Once ingested the bond is quickly broken down causing the chemical makeup between HFCS and Sucrose to be 100% similar. This isn't like trans fats which involved manipulating hydrogen molecules. They're two completely separate issues.

grumble

IrrelevantNotch said:
The only difference between HFCS and sucrose is that the fructose and glucose molecules in sucrose are held together by a weak glycosidic bond before entering the body. Once ingested the bond is quickly broken down causing the chemical makeup between HFCS and Sucrose to be 100% similar. This isn't like trans fats which involved manipulating hydrogen molecules. They're two completely separate issues.

Oh, yeah, I was aware of that. I just though he was being sarcastic only in reference to trans fat. Good explanation.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
icarus-daedelus said:
it's not like the corn industry will suddenly disappear if subsidies are stopped tomorrow
I don't think he desires to get rid of the corn industry - just to stop wasting so much taxpayer money artificially propping them up.

grumble said:
Oh, yeah, I was aware of that. I just though he was being sarcastic only in reference to trans fat. Good explanation.

Well, I kind of misspoke. HFCS usually contains a higher percentage of fructose when compared to sucrose, so I suppose they're not 100% similar, but close enough to where it shouldn't cause any major physical problems.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
IrrelevantNotch said:
The important similarity between trans fat and HFCS isn't in the chemistry, but the fact that they manufactured something that we would never find naturally and introduced it into our diet with no way of knowing the long term effects. It's going to be a pretty big deal if this study is repeatable. If the two sugars are metabolized exactly the same then there shouldn't be any differences in weight gain in the rats.

njean777

sugar and hfcs are both horrible for you, but if i had to choose i would always take sugar. HFCS is far worse for you then sugar.

Zaptruder

Banned
From what I understood of that Sugar The Bitter Truth lecture that's been frequently bandied around nowadays... it seems that normal table sugar isn't exactly harmless. Less harmful than HFCS... 60-70% of the deleterious effect of HFCS...

but that's still way too much all things considered.

But on the flipside, fructose is countered by fibre...

conclusion? Get more fibre in your diet, cut down the processed sugars, and you should be well on your way to a significantly healthier and sustainable lifestyle.

icarus-daedelus said:
Personally, I'd settle for the government simply not giving out so much bad advice to its citizens on matters of health. And it's not like the corn industry will suddenly disappear if subsidies are stopped tomorrow - we are talking about gigantic corporations with very far reach in all corners of the food industry here.

It's not about making the corn industry disappear... it's about getting rid of subsidies that they don't need and are harmful to the American public at large.

xbhaskarx

the-informant_290.jpg

ch0mp

Zaptruder said:
From what I understood of that Sugar The Bitter Truth lecture that's been frequently bandied around nowadays... it seems that normal table sugar isn't exactly harmless. Less harmful than HFCS... 60-70% of the deleterious effect of HFCS...

but that's still way too much all things considered.

But on the flipside, fructose is countered by fibre... conclusion? Get more fibre in your diet, cut down the processed sugars, and you should be well on your way to a significantly healthier and sustainable lifestyle.

It's quite simple really. Don't eat any processed sugars; get your sugar mostly from fruit. Doing it is something else entirely.

Zzoram

Masta_Killah said:
So glad I didn't jump on that chocolate milk post workout drink craze.

What does that have to do with HFCS? Chocolate milk post workout is good for you, it's got pretty much the perfect balance of carb/protein/fat for you and is as good or better than pretty much everything it is compared against.

Oh wait, you're probably in the US, where chocolate milk probably has HFCS too :lol :lol :lol

sharkmuncher said:
Yes HFCS is bad, however until this study is published somewhere other than the University's website, I'm going to continue to believe there is no functional difference between HFCS and sucrose

Well, I mean, it is Princeton.

Oh and FTFA:

In results published online March 18 by the journal Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Behavior...​

Masta_Killah said:
So glad I didn't jump on that chocolate milk post workout drink craze.

Try using pure cocoa powder instead; it's high in antioxidants.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001E5E0Y2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

51YSvepM1-L._SL500_AA300_PIbundle-2,TopRight,0,0_AA300_SH20_.jpg

Drkirby said:
Not completely, because lab rats =/= human, but it is pretty darn damming.

I wonder why they didn't give anther group soda while they were at it. I know it adds more variables and is harder to test, but the results should of given some clue if the same thing happens when its in a food product vs pure, since as far as I can see, they gave them the HFCS straight up.

From the article:

The first study showed that male rats given water sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup in addition to a standard diet of rat chow gained much more weight than male rats that received water sweetened with table sugar, or sucrose, in conjunction with the standard diet. The concentration of sugar in the sucrose solution was the same as is found in some commercial soft drinks, while the high-fructose corn syrup solution was half as concentrated as most sodas.​

So basically, they gave them soda without the additional artificial flavors, colors, and carbonation.

JoeBoy101

Same results they have been finding with most artificial sweetners, so its no shock. There is a certain amount of sugar that the body wants and needs per day. And if it can't get it, it'll push you unconsciously to eat more until it does get it. Even if it tastes similar and provides calories, the body will not be fooled apparently.

deadbeef

CharlieDigital said:
Well, I mean, it is Princeton.

Oh and FTFA:

In results published online March 18 by the journal Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Behavior...​
I am pretty sure he means peer-reviewed journals, not just "hey, trust us".

Evlar

Banned
IrrelevantNotch said:
Sucrose is 50% glucose and 50% fructose, in molar terms. HFCS is 45% glucose, 55% fructose. Thus they are similar... but not the same.

Pepsi co need to make throwback a permanent fixture.

i've always said any health benefits are an added bonus cause it tastes so much better. i guess we're on the verge of confirming the 'added bonus'.

i'm so glad that throwback made me incapable of drinking soda with HFCS in it.

tastes like poooooo.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
UltimaPooh said:
Shop at Whole Foods if you think it's hard to find a product without it. There you won't find any, I'm pretty sure.

Cimarron

I wonder how agave nectar fits into all of this? I have been using this a lot as a sweetener.
But yeah I believ this study. I decreased my soda intake and I starting shedding belly fat rapidly in a few weeks with no excersise. It was weird.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Cimarron said:
I wonder how agave nectar fits into all of this? I have been using this a lot as a sweetener.
But yeah I believ this study. I decreased my soda intake and I starting shedding belly fat rapidly in a few weeks with no excersise. It was weird.
Agave nectar is mostly, if not entirely, fructose. If you are/were avoiding foods with HFCS, you'd probably wouldn't want to be switching to Agave.

Cimarron

So basically you have a choice between wearing down your pancreas or wearing down your liver or no sweeteners at all! Great! I think I gamble with my liver. At least it regenerates

StoOgE said:
Like I said, "better" not "good" :D

I drink Soda about once a month as a treat.

I drink water about 80% of the time with tea or beer constituting the remainder.

If I'm going to splurdge on something bad for me I'd rather have ice cream or cake of some sort than a soda... which is often just as bad.

I know a girl at work who claims to be on a "died" and chugs 4 diet cokes a day. Jesus. Cut those out and you'll probably drop 10 pounds in a month right there.
4 diet cokes won't add significantly to her weight gain, why do you think that it will?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom