• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stronghold: Definitive Edition announced [UPDATE: DEMO OUT]

Hudo

It's not possible for me to edit the thread title, right? I've looked for an option, fruitlessly.

supernova8

Banned
For a moment i thought you were talking about stranglehold

stranglehold-game.gif

(the guy having a seizure in mid air doesn't help my argument)
environmental destruction in Stranglehold was fuckin awesome for its time. Even today not that many games offer that sort of interactivity and this (PS3/360) just proves that it's clearly doable, just a matter of effort.

Anyway back on topic, I've actually never played any of the stronghold games... not sure what's better/worse than Age of Empires but I'm up for a free demo!

Last edited:

Red5

environmental destruction in Stranglehold was fuckin awesome for its time. Even today not that many games offer that sort of interactivity and this (PS3/360) just proves that it's clearly doable, just a matter of effort.

Anyway back on topic, I've actually never played any of the stronghold games... not sure what's better/worse than Age of Empires but I'm up for a free demo!

Stronghold has much more micromanagement of resources and units than Age of Empires.

Stronghold is closer to Anno than Age of Empires.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

They're both RTS games with a medieval setting. You field a lot of the same units like archers, crossbowmen, swordsmen, knights, etc. What the main differences are is that the wall mechanics are much more involved in Stronghold. Whereas your "castle" in AoE4 consists of a keep surrounded by stone walls, or maybe a landmark surrounded by stone walls, a castle in Stronghold is much more complex. You can layer walls, add crenulations, towers, stairs, and more. You can even mount siege weapons on large stone towers. You can instruct engineers to boil oil and pour it over the castle walls. You can have your troops dig a moat around your castle to stop invaders, and you can place oily pitch on the ground, and light it on fire to burn intruders. If you get really nuts, you can design kill zones within your castle, and I find that to be very fun.

The other main difference from AoE is that you have to manage the citizens of your castle as well as the military in order to maintain your supply chain and economy. You harvest wood and stone to construct your buildings and castle. You hunt deer, make cheese, or grow wheat and apples to provide food. You create weapon smiths to create the weapons required to defend and attack. You also have buildings like a tavern, chapel, and decorations that manage the happiness of your citizens.

It's a free demo and only 3 GBs, so why not give it a shot. This is one of my favorite games from that era and I'm happy that they're remaking it.

MarkMe2525

I don't really like these 'polishes' of old games. 'HD' versions that just get them to look and run better on modern systems, sure.

It's rather they spent the resources on making proper sequels that from the foundations take advantage of modern systems.
For a team with aspirations to create a sequel, a lot can be learned from working with the original game. Not necessarily claiming that this is the case here.

SomeGit

Have to try to again, but I remember Stronghold being a bit barebones compared to Crusader, which was closer to a traditional RTS.

Top Bottom