• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Streets of Rage 2: This 90s Sega Game Soundtrack is Crazy

Punished Miku

Gold Member
SoR2 is definitely one of the best ever.

You should do a real deep dive on Streets of Rage 4's OST next. Truly showcases why Olivier Deriviere is one of the best modern composers in the business. It's an extremely, extremely tall order to not only recapture the classic feel of the 16 bit era, bring it up to modern instrumentation and production quality, write a dozen memorable melodic hooks that stick with you, sync track changes to the game at key moments in multiple stages, and also mix it in with more modern instrumentation that is his own style but have it all fit. It's a masterpiece OST. I think most Japanese composers would struggle with that tall of an order, but Olivier nailed it.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
streets of rage sega GIF

Such good memories. This and golden axe were life at one point.

Ristifer

You should do a real deep dive on Streets of Rage 4's OST next. Truly showcases why Olivier Deriviere is one of the best modern composers in the business. It's an extremely, extremely tall order to not only recapture the classic feel of the 16 bit era, bring it up to modern instrumentation and production quality, write a dozen memorable melodic hooks that stick with you, sync track changes to the game at key moments in multiple stages, and also mix it in with more modern instrumentation that is his own style but have it all fit. It's a masterpiece OST. I think most Japanese composers would struggle with that tall of an order, but Olivier nailed it.

SoR4's OST deserves so much more love than it receives. Even the other composers who worked on it provided some ridiculous sounds. Rising Up and Next of Kin Showdown are two of my favourite gaming tracks ever composed.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
SoR4's OST deserves so much more love than it receives. Even the other composers who worked on it provided some ridiculous sounds. Rising Up and Next of Kin Showdown are two of my favourite gaming tracks ever composed.
Yep. I put it as my GOTY in 2020 for a reason. The game is a miracle.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Nice, the elusive Game Gear version :messenger_sunglasses:
I didn’t even realise this was a gif from the game gear version. I didn’t know that version existed until now, thought this was just a down ressed gif or something 😂

I am so old. Going to be 40 in a few years and can remember the game gear. It was a fantastic device when it came out but I think I only really had sonic and 1 or 2 other games for it at the time. Then I remember the PS1 coming out sometime soon after that and changing things again.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I didn’t even realise this was a gif from the game gear version. I didn’t know that version existed until now, thought this was just a down ressed gif or something 😂

I am so old. Going to be 40 in a few years and can remember the game gear. It was a fantastic device when it came out but I think I only really had sonic and 1 or 2 other games for it at the time. Then I remember the PS1 coming out sometime soon after that and changing things again.

I had one too through the early 90s. Even had the TV tuner for it but it was complete shit. I remember sitting in the cafeteria with my friends in 7th grade fiddling with the antennae just to watch Price Is Right lol Eventually got it but the static was super bad.

Such a cool system. Man I loved old Sega.

Soodanim

I know everything is exaggerated because it's a YouTube reaction video playing to a primarily American audience. But I know absolutely nothing about music except that this soundtrack has quite possibly the GOAT, so it's nice to see something I've loved since childhood approached from a perspective alien to me but with the same conclusion.

I played through the entire game just the other day on a whim and it's still just as fun as ever. 4 is unquestionably a mechanically stronger game, but 2 is a fantastic, timeless game that is more than just the gameplay.

The thing I found about 4 is that I didn't appreciate it until I got separate speakers and stopped playing the game through TV audio. It's a soundtrack that gets lost in modern TVs.

Calls SOR2 a "cult classic"

Welp, shut that piece of shit off immediately.

Christ I hate fucking YouTubers. ESPECIALLY the young ones that comment on games that were popular before they were even swimming in their daddy's nuts. Shut the fuck up.

Old retro guys aren't better. The platform was taken over early by fanboys who paint this picture of retro gaming that revolves around a few Nintendo games, where the impact of a mildly successful platformer like Megaman is blown way out of proportion, where Castlevania talk ends before SotN and where you wouldn't know that Tekken is the bigger mainstream fighting series bc Street Fighter 2 is the only thing you ever hear about. I mean I was a Nintendo kid too, but retro YT paints such a skewed picture.

Last edited:

Hunter 99

Still listen to it today.me as a 5 year old playing this in the utility room of my parents house with a small crt tv.played countless hours solo and Co op with cousins.
Absolutely amazing and was always buzzing especially the level with jett as a boss.i think it's the bridge level.that music blows me away today let alone when I was a kid!

MrA

Nice, the elusive Game Gear version :messenger_sunglasses:
streets of rage 1 and 2 are some peak sega being sega as the master system and gamegear versions are different games and not just a zoomed in camera on the game gear,
and all 4 are excellent 8 bit beat em ups,

Old retro guys aren't better. The platform was taken over early by fanboys who paint this picture of retro gaming that revolves around a few Nintendo games, where the impact of a mildly successful platformer like Megaman is blown way out of proportion, where Castlevania talk ends before SotN and where you wouldn't know that Tekken is the bigger mainstream fighting series bc Street Fighter 2 is the only thing you ever hear about. I mean I was a Nintendo kid too, but retro YT paints such a skewed picture.
tons of channels are poorly researched, plus nobody ever covers the philips in2it.

RAIDEN1

It was one of the most DUMBEST decisions by Sega to firstly give a dam about getting Final Fight onto the Sega CD, when the REAL money was getting Streetfighter 2 on there...and then you've got a game in Streets of Rage that is even better than Final Fight yet you don't bring out a Streets of Rage CD, and then when you do include it in some collection it's got next to no improvements in it...the music would have been even better had they released it on there....

Top Bottom