• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Story Arcs where you knew a manga was going to be absolutly amazing or terrible?

SinDelta

For example, Attack on Titan -
I knew I was in for something special with the female titan arc. It was absolutely insane.

Unfortunately I also knew things for AoT were about to go off a cliff with the revelations after they reached the basement.

Last edited:

SinDelta

Wano Kuni arc from One Piece
Why? I could see why but I want to hear your thoughts on it.

Speaking of One Piece,
Arlong Park was when it started getting pretty good. Arabasta was great.

Water 7 and Enies Lobby pushed it into absolutely amazing territory. Marineford Arc made it one of the best mangas I've ever read.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Three arcs prior to it, leading up, I just knew man. That it would be something else. It had to be, the way I saw it

I love all the arcs I’ve seen of One Piece, but this one is the one that excites me a bit more than the others given the climate of where the story’s at, is how I can put it

Jon Neu

Banned
Not a fan of the direction Shingeki No Kyojin went to, but the first half of the series is really great.

And the problem with One Piece is that they are dragging everything too much with the same formulaic pattern all the time. Almost 24 years later of the first chapter and everything important is yet to be told, Oda better pull it off because that's where it matters the most.

I guess my favorite arc ever is the Frieza Saga.

SinDelta

Not a fan of the direction Shingeki No Kyojin went to, but the first half of the series is really great.

And the problem with One Piece is that they are dragging everything too much with the same formulaic pattern all the time. Almost 24 years later of the first chapter and everything important is yet to be told, Oda better pull it off because that's where it matters the most.

I guess my favorite arc ever is the Frieza Saga.
One Piece has had some pretty big revelations and hints in the most recent arcs.
How deep the slave trade and wrongness of the World Government goes with Punk Hazard and Dressrosa.

Sanji's family.

The Emperors of the Sea, their Lieutenants, crews and Kingdoms, and why they are so horrifically and deserving of their fear. Whole Cake Island arc gave a good show of this.

History of Rogers crew, hints to getting to One Piece and even the true nature of where it's located. Heck even the reveal there was once a dreaded crew that had the Emperors when they were relatively starting out.

Dissolving of the Warlords of the Sea

CP 0 in play.

Whiteboards remaining crew not going quietly and in fact doing some really bad ass stuff.

Everything with Wano.

In fact there is as far as I know a ongoing gigantic cliffhanger with what's happening/happened at the World Government meet up.

Oh and Luffy pretty much cementing becoming the 5th Emperor due to all of the allies he and his crew have made.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
The Wano Kuni arc has 2 important problems: both the protagonist and the antagonist were really hyped but in the end they are pretty boring characters.

Also Oden traveling with Roger and reading (and writing) the poneglyphs was heavily anticlimatic.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I wasn't as fond of the Whole Cake Island arc
At first, it was sort of overwhelming with that arc. Oda went all out with the creativity there, and what slightly threw me off for a handful of episodes there was the twisted aura that pervades the entirety of Totto Land That took some getting used to, but man, what a trip that arc was......I really do believe WCI is some of Oda’s greatest work
I fucking love Whole Cake Island but the twisted nature that stems from Yonko Big Mom and her family, which extends itself all across Totto Land was a heavy change to embrace as a fan IMO. I had to take a step back and let it sink in before I realized how genius the arc is and how much work went into it. WCI is brilliant. The Charlotte Family is too good. Very powerful and they probably need to be taken down tbh. For that reason, we HAVE to see Big Mom survive this fight at Wano somehow for the next arc. And I think they come out alive but take a loss here at Wano. I don’t know about the rest of the fanbase, but I gotta see the entire Straw Hat crew take out the Big Mom Pirates; the Sanji Retrieval Team was only there to achieve their one goal of rescuing Sanji. Fighting was at a minimum; only to survive and get Sanji the fuck out of there safely. They barely fought and the arc still turned out amazing. They have to go back. Like Luffy told Katakuri he would. Big Mom has to survive in Wano Kuni so we can see the Straw Hats show true undeniable dominance and destroy the matriarchy that is the Big Mom Pirates and Totto Land
One Piece has had some pretty big revelations and hints in the most recent arcs.
The arc before Wano, The Levely, that one was intense as well. I’m still thinking about what took place. I think Sabo and Dragon set their plan into motion there, and that Sabo is definitely alive. There will probably be a lot more revelations when the scene at the Levely is revisited. Blackbeard Pirates are on the way. Things are about to really take off

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
My favorite arc is the Sinnoh League. Ash had really trained his Pokémon well so from the start this was going to be a great league. The battles he had were fast paced and really exciting. They mixed battling strategies with Ash fighting Conway and Nando. The battle with Paul was exciting and emotional. Yes I get salty about Tobias but it was still a good battle and the final scene with Latigos and Pikachu was emotional. Tbh, the fact that Ash is never going to win a league didn’t come into my head until Pikachu was on the battlefield in the Tobias match - that is a sign of a good league to me.

I've forgotten just how immense and fantastic the whole thing is and the fact we got two Iwane animated episodes in a row, some of Ash's old favorites returning and of course the long awaited battle against Paul which was all the more worth it.

Also:

-Kalos league arc
-May's Coordinator journey (Basically the way she started as a newbie and improved so much)
-Dawn's coordinator journey (same as above)
-Serena's performer journey
-Ash and Gary's rivalry arc (it deserved more episodes but it was still good)
-Ash and Paul's rivalry arc
-May-Drew-Harley's rivalry arc
-Lugia arc
-Whirlcup arc
-The S.S.Anne shipwreck arc from Kanto
-Misty's development in the Hoso episodes, if that could be considered an arc.
-Team Flare arc
-Wallace Cup arc
-Togetic arc
-Clemont's development as gym leader + his gym battle with Ash

Cutty Flam

Banned
I second this. I wasn't as fond of the Whole Cake Island arc, but Wano Kuni I knew immediately would be awesome because of Kaidou and the feudal Japan setting.
Kaido is unreal

He’s taking out everyone in sight. This is what a Yonko who has been around for decades is capable of. If Luffy manages to take Kaido down at age 20...

Top Bottom