• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock Prices of Weapons Manufacturers Soaring Since Paris Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
https://theintercept.com/2015/11/16...ons-manufacturers-soaring-since-paris-attack/

The Paris attacks took place on Friday night. Since then, France’s president has vowed “war” on ISIS and today significantly escalated the country’s bombing campaign in Syria (France has been bombing ISIS in Iraq since last January, and began bombing the group in Syria in September).

Already this morning, as Aaron Cantú noticed, the stocks of the leading weapons manufacturers — what is usually referred to as the “defense industry” — have soared

8MXgF8A.png

f0BfzeT.png

nclF1xI.png

F7yIGMj.png

France’s largest arms manufacturer, Thales, is also having an outstanding day, up almost 3 percent, even as the leading French index is down

c2Uh1eD.png

Will probably continue as the calls for war increase. Typical "war economy" stuff though, I suppose. Destabilize an area, sell weapons, re-engage in a war, repeat.

antonz

US just signed an arms deal with Saudi Arabia. 1.3 billion dollars worth of bombs we are selling them. Business is booming in more ways then one

sn00zer

Not unexpected I guess but it's still kinda gross.

* keikaku means plan

Ah thanks. I feel like these sort of words should be left untranslated, as they are wholly unique to that culture, but there should be a note for those who dont fully understand their weight and true meaning.

Ah thanks. I feel like these sort of words should be left untranslated, as they are wholly unique to that culture, but there should be a note for those who dont understand fully understand their weight and true meaning.

You ain't slick, son :p

I'm onto your game!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Ah thanks. I feel like these sort of words should be left untranslated, as they are wholly unique to that culture, but there should be a note for those who dont understand fully understand their weight and true meaning.

I don't know if you're an expert, but I am.

ColdPizza

Banned
"Weapons manufacturers"

While they do make weapons, they do in fact make devices that aid in the defense of our country (missile tracking systems, training simulators, etc).

Just seems like a weird way to state it.

Is it profiteering? Maybe. If a biotech company makes a breakthrough in cancer or heart disease the healthcare sector will probably rise along with it.

entremet

Tangentially related, but I know a gun enthusiast who was urging his feed to buy more guns and the US needs more armed citizens to, in his mind, prevent these massacres in the US.

And there's capitalism kicking in. It's rather morbid how incredibly terrible news always seems to benefit some vulture of an industry, whether it be guns or defense contractors or insurance.

Mr.Mike

These movements aren't really that big. General Dynamics specifically didn't even actually beat the S&P 500 today.

ghostjoke

Banned
To be expected. War is a business like any other to put it bluntly and it's just as indifferent as another other business when there are profits to be made.

zeemumu

But that will never happen among the US as it stands today. We indirectly fund things like this, and to the elite among us, it's not a problem. the opposite, in fact

But it WILL happen. Want to know why? I HAVE A DREAM!

But yeah I'm aware that war as a business isn't going away anytime soon. Unfortunately it's too integrated into our economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom