• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stephen King attempitng to regain film rights to some of his most famous stories

Whaaaat? Link? I've looked and could never find anything.

Also, I still would love to see Frank's vision. Dude has yet to let me down with a King adaptation.

He feels like the only guy who really gets how to do King's stories properly, he seems to care about doing a good job and pays attention to details. I mean the Mist even had a painting with Roland in it at the beginning. It was as if he actually gave a shit or some crazy thing. They should have let him do the Dark Tower. Him or JJ Abrams as originally intended. Once they weren't interested or available the project should have just died.

I kinda applaud this, but more importantly - The Man's Best Friend movie in the OP. Sheedy and Henrikson in a terrible looking movie I've never heard of?

I have seen it as a kid. I think that movie honestly kind of scarred me somehow. As an adult I would likely congratulate its schlock, but I've never returned to it, nor am I interested.

And yes,
there are
sequels

Dynomutt

I'd be up for a Cat's Eye remake. Surprised most authors let studios rape and pillage their properties (I know money but still). Hopefully he gets them all back.

I've never heard of a long walk film. And I have a ton of Stephen king related media.

I'm intrigued

1987' Running Man is based on King's novel, but as someone else already mentioned it doesn't have much in common with it. I'd actually look forward to a proper Long Walk movie - as long as Jesse Ventura gets a role.

Tagyhag

1987' Running Man is based on King's novel, but as someone else already mentioned it doesn't have much in common with it. I'd actually look forward to a proper Long Walk movie - as long as Jesse Ventura gets a role.

Damn it Pudding! Getting us hyped like that :p

At least Running Man is fun.

He feels like the only guy who really gets how to do King's stories properly, he seems to care about doing a good job and pays attention to details. I mean the Mist even had a painting with Roland in it at the beginning. It was as if he actually gave a shit or some crazy thing. They should have let him do the Dark Tower. Him or JJ Abrams as originally intended. Once they weren't interested or available the project should have just died.
I just noticed that Darabont also did Shawshank and Green Mile. And considering King loves the Mist movie's ending, I think any rights that Darabont has are safe.

segasonic

Has there been a good movie yet based on his books?

stephen-king-it-pennywise-movie.jpg

Christine.jpg

the-shining-frozen-jack-nicholson-2089600270.jpg

52e39a6fa173f1c89c7ee6ecbd2a621b.jpg

Jarmel

Banned
Akiva Goldsman is set to remake King‘s Firestarter for Universal Pictures. Goldsman will be co-writing the screenplay with Scott Teems (Rectify).
fuck

Firestarter would be great if done properly.

kevin1025

Banned
Netlflix has a King adaptation coming out this month as well. Gerald's Game

Two King adaptations in the same month

Yeah! And Mr Mercedes will still be airing throughout September, along with a new King book (co-written with his son). It's a good month to be a King fan!

Yeah! And Mr Mercedes will still be airing throughout September, along with a new King book (co-written with his son). It's a good month to be a King fan!
It feels like there was just an explosion of interest in King adaptations in the last few years. I wonder if it was the trend of 80s horror influence and resurgence of more dread/character-focused horror that came with It Follows, Babadook, The Witch, etc. Not just King stuff, but also stuff heavily inspired by King like Stranger Things

kevin1025

Banned
It feels like there was just an explosion of interest in King adaptations in the last few years. I wonder if it was the trend of 80s horror influence and resurgence of more dread/character-focused horror that came with It Follows, Babadook, The Witch, etc. Not just King stuff, but also stuff heavily inspired by King like Stranger Things

I think it's definitely the movies you mentioned, the strong 80's resurgence is giving him a major comeback (well, more popularity since he was always a huge name, haha) along with the nostalgia that comes with it. It's also like the floodgates suddenly opened on adaptations of his work after a little bit of a lull period, with Under the Dome and Bag of Bones (the Pierce Brosnan miniseries) starting that off.

Plus he's become way more prolific lately, with mystery books on top of the horror and semi-scifi stuff. I'm super happy with all of it!

But isnt that based on the novel the running man and not the long walk.

LaNaranja

Not a movie but 11.22.63 was fantastic. Feels like it went overlooked because it was on Hulu in a time when not a lot of people had it.

11.22.63 was straight up the best TV show of last year. I really want to see them give The Regulators that same kind of treatment, although it would probably need an HBO level budget to be done right.

dyergram

I quite liked apt pupil tbh I like the crappy sk movies as well though. I thought I heard before that he lets basically anybody make film adaptations of his books for super cheap is that not the case?

I quite liked apt pupil tbh I like the crappy sk movies as well though. I thought I heard before that he lets basically anybody make film adaptations of his books for super cheap is that not the case?

I forget about apt pupil and I don't know why, its a pretty good movie.

All the adaptations from different seasons are really good.

Only missing breathing method. But I don't think its filmable.

Wamb0wneD

Has there been a good movie yet based on his books?

I consider everyone who considers The Shining or Misery a bad movie a bad person.

Fun fact, the actor who played the little boy in that scene unintentionally recoiled when Tim Curry tried to grab his hand and said "you scared me!" and Tim apologised by saying "yes, I'm supposed to".

Too bad Tim Curry was the only good (phenomenal) thing about the film. Rest was a borefest.

Fisty

One of the most popular properties in the library is the film based on the Stephen King book entitled “Cujo” that starred Dee Wallace Stone in Sunn’s 1983 motion picture version. The reboot is currently titled C.U.J.O., and stands for “Canine Unit Joint Operations”.

Oh man, my mind immediately wants the leader of C.U.J.O. to be Coldyrne.

The Syfy channel did it in 2009.

It sucked. Also, I guess it was also set in the 70s, like the short story was, but didn't feel authentic (it's one of those cases of "It just looks like a bunch of modern people that just happen to be in the 70s, or so they say"). They could've very well made everything look authetic with some research (I note the research done by the people behind Stranger Things was damn fine in recreating the feel of the early 80s), and being in podunk middle of nowhere America, you don't have to worry about modern looking buildings standing out (they are all old as shit towns). Just get a bunch of old cars, hire someone that knows the wardrobe and hairstyles of the era (make them research them), and get the actors to research the era to provide a convincing performance.

Top Bottom