• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck |OT| Nintendo Switch 2

Velcro Fly

I started Persona 3 Portable on my Deck the other day. Have 4 Golden and 5 Royal already loaded up on there ready to roll.

Also thinking about picking up a couple Disgaea games since they are on sale. I loved the first one. Not sure which to get (not 6 because it is too expensive on Steam).

And I did get Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 1 and 2 on sale before. Games are janky relics of the early PS2 era but they are still fun for a romp. Second one even has achievements!

kubricks

It looks glorious on the Steam Deck!
0hE3McQ.jpg

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Playing Art of Rally yesterday had me jonesing for a video capture method on the Deck. Hitting corners or doing funny stuff would be so fun to capture and share. I really hope Valve implements something for this in the future.

spons

Gold Member
I have a 200+ game Steam library, but due to my PSU frying my old Haswell box, I have no way to play those games, so I'm reconsidering buying a Deck.

Is the shader caching thing an issue on the 64 GB model? I keep reading it eats main storage, and although I'll slap in a 512GB MicroSD, I can't find a definite answer to this.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I have a 200+ game Steam library, but due to my PSU frying my old Haswell box, I have no way to play those games, so I'm reconsidering buying a Deck.

Is the shader caching thing an issue on the 64 GB model? I keep reading it eats main storage, and although I'll slap in a 512GB MicroSD, I can't find a definite answer to this.

Kupfer

Playing Art of Rally yesterday had me jonesing for a video capture method on the Deck. Hitting corners or doing funny stuff would be so fun to capture and share. I really hope Valve implements something for this in the future.
For this post I used OBS Studio for recording and Open shot Video Editor for editing, you can find both in Discovery. It's not as elegant as the record feature on the PlayStation or Xbox, but if you want to record some of your Deck gameplay, it works pretty good.

I would recommend buying a 256gb ssd (30 bucks) for the deck if you have the 64gb. Shaders were an issue for me.

Anyone managed to run Dead Space 2023 (EA App version) on Steam Deck? I manage to install both EA App and the game, but when I run it, it crashes on the "Electronic Arts" logo, after the trigger warnings

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I started Persona 3 Portable on my Deck the other day. Have 4 Golden and 5 Royal already loaded up on there ready to roll.

Also thinking about picking up a couple Disgaea games since they are on sale. I loved the first one. Not sure which to get (not 6 because it is too expensive on Steam).

And I did get Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 1 and 2 on sale before. Games are janky relics of the early PS2 era but they are still fun for a romp. Second one even has achievements!
Deck has totally been my Persona machine. Royal especially was a treat.

Side bar: my 4 year old has been wanting to play Mario Odyssey a ton lately so we’ve been doing that on the big TV, and I got the itch to play some by myself in bed but…man the Switch just doesn’t feel nearly as good in handheld mode as the Deck. Couldn’t bring myself to do it.

Filben

I started replaying F.E.A.R. yesterday on my Deck and just had to record a video :

I'm stunned.
In the game, water has no important role at all, and yet F.E.A.R. manages to present water in a more interactive and interesting way than most of today's games.

And let's face it, the game is from 2005, so it's almost 17 years old.

SjCG2xY.jpg

By the way, it runs on just under 8watts on the Deck, absolutely amazing when I consider that my 600watt PC was really struggling back then.

And those reflections!!! Not that SSR bullshit that breaks once you move the camera.

Why did those kind of reflections got implemented more? I remember seeing those in Black Mesa as well and I noticed it right a way how good and immersive the image with reflections in it looks while moving around. Something most games these days sucks at.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
So I gave it a shot Kupfer Kupfer . Only complaint is I can't find an easy way to record while in "game mode". Switching to desktop (big picture mode works too) and launching OBS, then launching the game seems to work. Only downside is that I can't find an easy way to stop capture while the game is still running.

Also, please ignore my shit driving, I just wanted a quick capture to test this out on.

e: Some Reddit comments mentioned you can have Steam Link open on another device and use that for capture while still in Game Mode on the Deck. I think I'll mess around with that later tonight or sometime tomorrow. I worry about the video quality going this route but it's worth a shot.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
So, streaming to Steam Link on my desktop works well, though I had to run the file through Handbrake since I forgot to change the output filetype to mp4 instead of MKV. So there's some extra compression on the video on top of the compression from streaming, which is not ideal. Still, really fun to capture gameplay on the Deck.

Here's some quick clips I put together from the game Session (that last trick was really fun to pull off):

Filben

So, streaming to Steam Link on my desktop works well, though I had to run the file through Handbrake since I forgot to change the output filetype to mp4 instead of MKV. So there's some extra compression on the video on top of the compression from streaming, which is not ideal. Still, really fun to capture gameplay on the Deck.

Here's some quick clips I put together from the game Session (that last trick was really fun to pull off):

What game is that? Looks way more grounded and real than Tony Hawk's. Is that 'Skate'?

Kupfer

And those reflections!!! Not that SSR bullshit that breaks once you move the camera.

Why did those kind of reflections got implemented more? I remember seeing those in Black Mesa as well and I noticed it right a way how good and immersive the image with reflections in it looks while moving around. Something most games these days sucks at.
I know right?
Wrote about the water in HL Episode 2 here because I also thought it just looks phenomenal for its' age.
funking giblet funking giblet explained :
It can only render to a flat plane, as it's essentially another "camera" in the world, drawing what it sees to a texture, and then rendering that texture with an additional shader which perturbs the normals a bit, usually with a animated normal map which looks like waves. The second camera can decide what objects appear in it's scenegraph, so you can render just the world, or everything in it as well. Its very limited in what it can do, as you get a perfect mirror essentially.
So I gave it a shot Kupfer Kupfer . Only complaint is I can't find an easy way to record while in "game mode". Switching to desktop (big picture mode works too) and launching OBS, then launching the game seems to work. Only downside is that I can't find an easy way to stop capture while the game is still running.

Also, please ignore my shit driving, I just wanted a quick capture to test this out on.

e: Some Reddit comments mentioned you can have Steam Link open on another device and use that for capture while still in Game Mode on the Deck. I think I'll mess around with that later tonight or sometime tomorrow. I worry about the video quality going this route but it's worth a shot.

It's not optimal I know - but hey, you got some pretty good results right there ;)
But I also hope we will get a more userfriendly and Steam UI integrated tool in the future.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Sup Deck bros. Has anyone tried out NDS and 3DS emulation on the Deck? There are some games I want to play on my 2DS, but sadly I don't like that system's hardware so much as I like it's games, so I was wondering about trying out those games on the Gaben machine.

Kupfer

Sup Deck bros. Has anyone tried out NDS and 3DS emulation on the Deck? There are some games I want to play on my 2DS, but sadly I don't like that system's hardware so much as I like it's games, so I was wondering about trying out those games on the Gaben machine.
Wrong thread, I know, but I have to ask: which games? Dug out my old DS LITE yesterday, for which I only have this brain trainer "game". Never played anything on it, just bought it some day for GBA games but put it away. Got it in my jacket right now and want to give it a try, you have some recommendations or must-plays?

Last edited:

Filben

Has anyone tried out NDS and 3DS emulation on the Deck?
Been playing Ocarina of Time 3D and Majora's Mask via emulator on the Deck. Just an occasional small hiccup now and then (not worse than shader compilation plaguing modern PC releases) and asynchronous audio for that split-second. It's not as consistent as on real hardware and will probably never be (only emulators doing that really is pre N64/PSX; although N64 and PSX emulation is like 99% close).

Overall it's a very enjoyable experience, however, minus the 3D effect of course.

I don't mind keeping my 3DS around, though, because it's just so tiny and fits literally into my pocket. All other older consoles had to go into the basement to make room and I prefer playing those games from back in the days on the Deck (like PS2 games, because they look way better on the small Deck display with a subtle CRT shader on than on a big TV, even with things like Framemeister, OSSC, RetroTink, etc.)

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Wrong thread, I know, but I have to ask: which games? Dug out my old DS LITE yesterday, for which I only have this brain trainer "game". Never played anything on it, just bought it some day for GBA games but put it away. Got it in my jacket right now and want to give it a try, you have some recommendations or must-plays?
For the NDS? Sure, there are lots of them. I might have forgotten some since I played those games like 15 years ago, but out the top of my head I can recommend:
  • Dragon Quest remakes of IV, V and VI. Those were my introduction to the series and I loved them. Special mention to the enemy sprites in combat, very well animated.
  • Super Robot Taisen OG Saga games, two JRPGs with a combat system very reminiscent of Valkyrie Profile. Low budget games but the music and combat are pretty good and the script is funny. Lots of tits and asses too.
  • SMT Strange Journey
  • Radiant Historia
  • Ninja Gaiden DS
  • Henry Hatsworth
  • Jump Ultimate Stars
  • Castlevanias
  • Mario & Luigi Bowser's Inside Story
  • Ghost Trick
  • Phoenix Writght games
  • Hotel Dusk
  • Bangai-O
  • GTA Chinatown Wars
There are probably many more, but unless I'm missing something those were my favorite games on the system. Have fun!

Edit: Forgot about Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime. Great game too.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
What game is that? Looks way more grounded and real than Tony Hawk's. Is that 'Skate'?
Session, here's the OT from 1.0:

Just know that the controls take some getting used to but pretty much everything can be customized out of the gate. There's also SkaterXL, but that one is a bit more cartoony IMO. Both control schemes attempt to mimic what your feet do on an actual skateboard, so trick control is similar to SKATE but often split between both analog sticks. Turning is done by the triggers, which takes some getting used to but after you acclimate, it's difficult to go back.

I would easily recommend both if you're on PC and a skateboarding fan. If you've ever skated IRL, it will feel great to play and get some clips.

It's not optimal I know - but hey, you got some pretty good results right there
But I also hope we will get a more userfriendly and Steam UI integrated tool in the future.
You're a G for sending me down this rabbit hole. Thanks again!

Last edited:

Marchizmo

Anyone know of the best software to use if I want stream Hogwarts Legacy from my home pc to my deck in another location?

TintoConCasera

Copy & pasting from the System Shock demo thread:

It plays fine. I set every graphical option to High and limited the framerate to 40fps. Ran smooth at all times except at the intro in the apartment, where it dropped to like 35fps.
With those settings battery estimation was at like 2 and a half hours. It also comes with controller support by default.

Not the kind of game I'd play on the Deck tho, but for those interested, it's playable.

SCB3

I go a nice Bonus from Work this month so looking to finally pick up a deck for the Summer Hols away, my question is which Version?

The 256gb is nice and a good price, I have a 128gb sd card already to add to it and can always buy a bigger one or should I pay the extra £110 now and for for the 512gb version?

Also, is there a good guide to get most Emulators working, preferably anything from the PS3 backwards?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I go a nice Bonus from Work this month so looking to finally pick up a deck for the Summer Hols away, my question is which Version?

The 256gb is nice and a good price, I have a 128gb sd card already to add to it and can always buy a bigger one or should I pay the extra £110 now and for for the 512gb version?

Also, is there a good guide to get most Emulators working, preferably anything from the PS3 backwards?
The only real advantage to the 512gb from what I’ve read is the anti-glare screen. It is what I own and I have no regrets. I keep all my Steam games in it and all my Roms on my SD card. I’d say let your budget determine the model. If the extra cost is not a big deal, go for the 512.

I just run those using Retroarch. That will get you up to the PS1 era I believe. It supports Steam Cloud saves so you can pick up and play your save file from any device with Steam. It also supports Retro Achievements.

Beyond that, you can go into desktop mode and use the package installer to find additional emulators. RPCS3 is there for download.

Lots of vids on YT to help, like this one:

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

One day I wanted to play with it outside on a sunny day and it was impossible due to the screen glare, so if you are thinking about using it outside, get the 512gb one. If not, either the 256gb or the cheaper one would suffice.

If you get the cheap one (64gb) you can still open it and install an ssd of your own, saving some buckaroos in the process.

SCB3

One day I wanted to play with it outside on a sunny day and it was impossible due to the screen glare, so if you are thinking about using it outside, get the 512gb one. If not, either the 256gb or the cheaper one would suffice.

If you get the cheap one (64gb) you can still open it and install an ssd of your own, saving some buckaroos in the process.
Yea it will be rarely outside, perhaps in the car whilst someone else drives and that’s about it

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
If you're not wanting to upgrade the SSD yourself, then I'd say the 64GB is off the table. If you're confident enough to do it, then the 64GB is the best model to get. Between the 256GB and 512GB it really comes down to whether you want the anti-glare screen. Either way you'll need a microSD to go with it.

SCB3

If you're not wanting to upgrade the SSD yourself, then I'd say the 64GB is off the table. If you're confident enough to do it, then the 64GB is the best model to get. Between the 256GB and 512GB it really comes down to whether you want the anti-glare screen. Either way you'll need a microSD to go with it.
Thanks, the 64gb is not even a consideration imo, its missing too much and no case either, so may as well pay for at least the 256gb and get a decent SD card, I'm not a digital hoarder so don't tend to keep games installed if I've no plans to currently play them

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Thanks, the 64gb is not even a consideration imo, its missing too much and no case either, so may as well pay for at least the 256gb and get a decent SD card, I'm not a digital hoarder so don't tend to keep games installed if I've no plans to currently play them
The 64GB does come with a case. It's what I have and upgraded to a 1TB(SSD)+1TB(microSD) ending up at $630 total for a 2TB Deck. If you want to do the upgrade it's the best model to get. I dual-boot SteamOS+Win10 for access to GP, and keep a big emu library, so I got sick of juggling space.

Sounds like in your case, a 256GB with either a 512GB or 1TB microSD would be the way to go.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
The 64GB does come with a case. It's what I have and upgraded to a 1TB(SSD)+1TB(microSD) ending up at $630 total for a 2TB Deck. If you want to do the upgrade it's the best model to get. I dual-boot SteamOS+Win10 for access to GP, and keep a big emu library, so I got sick of juggling space.

Sounds like in your case, a 256GB with either a 512GB or 1TB microSD would be the way to go.
Fancy Mr Britches. I’ve debated upgrading my ssd but I’m too lazy. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Top Bottom