• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck |OT| Nintendo Switch 2

Debating a memory card . Somewhat leaning towards the SanDisk extreme 1tb vs the regular. But have been hearing mixed reviews.

Some say the regular is good enough and some are saying you will want the extra speeds , especially the write speed boost that you get with the extreme version. What say Gaf ? I have the 512gb version.

lachesis

Been playing my Steam Deck for past week or so. I am quite surprised how well this proton runs the games and all.
Still having some issues with some of games, but a lot of the times there's some sort of fixes out there. You just have to find them and hope it would fix it.

Been patching some stuff (mostly language related) - and even a linux illiterate person like myself, at least could do it. Little scary - but just drag-and-drop worked fine. Not sure how to do the "WINE" exe patches... someday will try to learn about it.

And the fan. I'm not sure - but my fan is quite silent. Perhaps I was expecting PS4 Pro level - but not at all. Can hardly hear it... Maybe because the most graphically intensive game that I was running was MGSV Phantom Pain (ran at smooth 60fps)... not some modern day AAA game?

Griffon

Debating a memory card . Somewhat leaning towards the SanDisk extreme 1tb vs the regular. But have been hearing mixed reviews.

Some say the regular is good enough and some are saying you will want the extra speeds , especially the write speed boost that you get with the extreme version. What say Gaf ? I have the 512gb version.
I've had both, extreme is good for triple the write speed, but otherwise the read speed is so similar you wont feel any difference, especially in game.

OverHeat

« generous god »
1A5PSsq.jpg

Filben

Outriders also works now on the Deck, apparently.

Maybe someone can test it if the micro stutter issue is gone with Proton? Thinking about buying it on Steam because the Windows Store/PC Pass version sucks.

Are many of you using this in "docked" mode? I've had issue after issue. If I go to Desktop mode, I can usually get it to work well, until it starts having all sorts of stuff happen and I need to reset the Dock, reboot my router, etc.

I'd keep it in gaming mode, but the framerate and lag can be horrendous.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Supposedly the read/write speed is supposed to be on par with the SSD itself. I'm not really certain s I haven't had the need to even use my SD card yet. I only have about 15 games installed at the moment. FFVII Remake & Elden Ring are the biggest games I have on my deck. Everything is a smaller title.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I'm wondering if some accessory company will take a risk and try selling an aftermarket OLED screen for the Deck. Valve has moved a lot of units it seems, so there may be an audience. I know I'd buy one if the price was right.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Have people found a way to reduce resolutions and some other settings to allow basic (PS5 like) RT reflections?

As far as I know it's only possible if you're running Windows, since those drivers recognize all features of the RDNA 2 cores. But with that APU being sized to run games with Proton at about 720 - 800p, even partial ray tracing with anything approaching acceptable performance means you're going to be knocking down the resolution to 540p or less while also limiting the refresh rate to 40Hz.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
As far as I know it's only possible if you're running Windows, since those drivers recognize all features of the RDNA 2 cores. But with that APU being sized to run games with Proton at about 720 - 800p, even partial ray tracing with anything approaching acceptable performance means you're going to be knocking down the resolution to 540p or less while also limiting the refresh rate to 40Hz.
I could live with that resolution on handheld mode with decent upscaling. RT in this game really adds to the experience and 40 Hz or 30 Hz are both playable enough.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I could live with that resolution on handheld mode with decent upscaling. RT in this game really adds to the experience and 40 Hz or 30 Hz are both playable enough.

Cool. I am not sure how well the FSR works in Windows though - I've just been running Steam OS.

Ozriel

M$FT

I guess if you need the 1TB. But there's a deal on amazon now for Samsung Evo Select 512GB for like $49. That's just as fast as the Sandisk Extreme

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
So I got the email in July, decided at that time not to get one (also had a reservation for the middle tier, 256GB is nothing). Was thinking yesterday and put down 4€ on the highest option with case, etc. Really tempted, let's see when I will get the email to buy - anyone has experience with that recently?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I just got the purchase email and paid for my oldest son's Deck that we reserved back in April. Went with the 64GB $399 model and bought a $20 256GB 2230 SSD from EBay. I put down a reserve for another 64GB unit for the hell of it yesterday and it says Q4 expected ship date.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I just got the purchase email and paid for my oldest son's Deck that we reserved back in April. Went with the 64GB $399 model and bought a $20 256GB 2230 SSD from EBay. I put down a reserve for another 64GB unit for the hell of it yesterday and it says Q4 expected ship date.
Same here. Last week I paid for a second Deck that I ordered after getting my first back in March. It also said it's coming in Q4.

I believe their manufacturer was the bottleneck, and with all laptop manufacturers suffering from excess of inventory and OEMs reducing their order numbers, Valve got a sizeable boost for the Deck.
By the time we get to Christmas, they might actually get some warehouse volume and ship the Deck the day after ordering online.

Tunned

I recently purchased a 1TB Sandisk Extreme for the Deck, to install Windows 10 on it, mainly for emulators and Forza Horizon 5, as I have it on the MS store.
Word of warning: don't install FH5 on an SD card, driving at high speeds in a car causes the game to have streaming problems, the map does not load fast enough!
Solution: install the latest Xenia Canary and play Forza Horizon 1 on the Deck instead! It looks amazing, runs quite well at 60fps (I think), and is the superior Forza Horizon, from a time when the world was just starting to turn upside down.

The default desktop controls are terrible, so I finally got around to making some changes

L1 - Ctrl+C
R1 - Ctrl+V

L2 tap - Right Click
R2 tap- Left Click
L2 full - Ctrl+A
R2 full - Left Click

L4 - Back
R4 - Forward
L5 - CLI program
R5 - Keyboard

Left Pad - Scroll with circular motion, sensitivity at around 80% (up from 50%)
Right Pad - Mouse control, default sensitivity, double tap to left click

I also installed AnyDesk to remotely control the Deck from PC/Phone, Warpinator for quick file transfers and CSSLoader to change the default number of shown games on Gamemode from 5 to 6

Last edited:
The default desktop controls are terrible, so I finally got around to making some changes

L1 - Ctrl+C
R1 - Ctrl+V

L2 tap - Right Click
R2 tap- Left Click
L2 full - Ctrl+A
R2 full - Left Click

L4 - Back
R4 - Forward
L5 - CLI program
R5 - Keyboard

I also installed AnyDesk to remotely control the Deck from PC/Phone, Warpinator for quick file transfers and CSSLoader to change the default number of shown games on Gamemode from 5 to 6

Do NOT give control to Indian Scammers

Beechos

Man the steamdeck has been frustrating me recently tried to play resident evil 2 which is deck verified and get an error during launch, same thing with arkham city.

L1 - Ctrl+C
R1 - Ctrl+V

L2 tap - Right Click
R2 tap- Left Click
L2 full - Ctrl+A
R2 full - Left Click

L4 - Back
R4 - Forward
L5 - CLI program
R5 - Keyboard

This is awesome, sorry for being dense but where do you go to change the desktop controls?

Man the steamdeck has been frustrating me recently tried to play resident evil 2 which is deck verified and get an error during launch, same thing with arkham city.

Under launch options do the following

Arkham try: force_compat_shaders=true %command%
If it doesn't work then unfortunately you will have to use: -windowed

RE2 try: DX11 -rt

This is awesome, sorry for being dense but where do you go to change the desktop controls?

Open Steam in desktop mode, go to settings, controller, then desktop configuration

Ozriel

M$FT

The $399 model is such an incredible deal considering how easy it is to swap the SSD.

I got a 256gb model earlier, but I put in an order for a 64gb model (for a gift) in August. Expected Q4

AndrewRyan

Went to the drive-thru pharmacy and they needed 15-20min. Parked under some trees, put on some music, played god of war and the time just flew.

No big deal but was smiling after playing cause GoW is so fun. Made me appreciate that we don't have to settle for good-enough-to-pass-the-time games anymore. Now it's more likely that the game you're actually playing is also playable on Deck.

Beechos

Under launch options do the following

Arkham try: force_compat_shaders=true %command%
If it doesn't work then unfortunately you will have to use: -windowed

RE2 try: DX11 -rt

Open Steam in desktop mode, go to settings, controller, then desktop configuration

Thanks for the info i was under the impression steamdeck verfied games just worked.

Smh i feel like im back in the dos pc gaming days where i have to launch a game with a command string.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
An online buddy of mine sent me a care package with like $120 worth of Deck accessories because he hit a scratch ticket for $15,000 and wanted to "spread it around." Wtf man that's super fucking cool and considerate. (I also had mentioned I got mine last week when we last spoke, he's had his for awhile now).

It included a set of these textured covers for the track pads among other stuffs. Let me tell you, I was underwhelmed by the track pads when I was messing with Crusader Kings 3 (and I was underwhelmed by the track pads on the Valve Controller although it was a neat way of using a "mouse" from the couch), but with this extra little bit of texture it makes the control so much more responsive I'm blown away.

On the one hand, they want $12.95 for two fucking adhesive squares which is bananas. But on the other hand, its so fucking useful I'd be willing to shell out despite the obvious markup.

This is just a PSA for track pad doubters like I was I guess. Hope someone somewhere finds this a useful link.

Last edited:

JCK75

Is it easy enough to get Origin on this? Thinking of signing up to EA Play Pro.

So most programs can easily be installed by going to desktop mode, downloading the EXE, adding that to the version of steam on desktop mode as a nonsteam game, launch it and it will use proton to emulate windows support to install.
Then remove it as a nonsteam game and add the program you just installed.

lmimmfn

Ohhhh, I'm an April pre-order that got moved to "Q3 July - September" so I've been obsessively checking my email, this gives me hope it's going to be soon!!!!
Have you been checking the getmydeck link from

From that, I could easily predict 3 weeks ago that I would get my order email today or latest next Monday.

Ozriel

M$FT
Holy fucking shite, my mail came out of the blue... 675 Euros... hefty price, but fuck it. I hope, I'll love this!

For the waiting ones: put my preorder in mid April.

Looks like they’ve ramped up the pace, like they said.

I put in an order for a second one in August. It should probably come in October, the way things are going.

Top Bottom