• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck |OT| Nintendo Switch 2

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Got my email and purchased this morning. Excitement intensifies!

Is emudeck the best for emulation/management?
Yeah, EmuDeck does all the hard work for you, and includes EmulationStation and Steam ROM Manager, so you can choose to install titles directly to your Steam Library and/or run them from EmulationStation. I like to install WiiU games to the library and run everything else out of EmulationStation, which is a fucking awesome program. Newest update looks slick and gives you video previews of your games in menu. I posted this earlier, but this is what it looks like...
8EKkiLM.jpg

Last edited:

Romulus

Yeah, EmuDeck does all the hard work for you, and includes EmulationStation and Steam ROM Manager, so you can choose to install titles directly to your Steam Library and/or run them from EmulationStation. I like to install WiiU games to the library and run everything else out of EmulationStation, which is a fucking awesome program. Newest update looks slick and gives you video previews of your games in menu. I posted this earlier, but this is what it looks like...
8EKkiLM.jpg

We need some VR tests over on the Quest thread with this little beast :)

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
My son got the good fan on his, so it was a bummer to get the whiney fan after having such a positive experience. I'm still working on Valve support, sending them vids and attempting to get a replacement sent. I refuse to RMA and just end up with the same problem, or worse with a different unit. Still hoping iFixit will get a bunch in stock, too.

I ordered 2 Decks right at launch in July last year. Once we got the first one last month, everybody loved it so we reserved 3 more for 'After Q3'. Hopefully they'll come before Christmas. It completely changes the dynamic of PC gaming from being a hermit in your room, to hanging out in the livingroom together playing games and chatting while the TV is going. Offers a lot of freedom and flexibility.

They should make a standalone controller based on Steam Deck for use with Deck UI as a way to solve the age-old "want to play on a comfy couch" console vs PC claim. Steam controller was an abomination, but something like this would be cool...
IJhjqBu.jpg

^forgive the unfinished middle area I just threw it together in 10min.
I have 2 steam controllers. It was pretty cool to play midi files with haptic motors and fun to experiment or use pc to switch movies from the couch.
another one is never unboxed. I am waiting for it gain value !

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I swear i didn’t touch my nintendo switch the second i got my deck
Pretty much same here. I've played a bit of Triangle Strategy, and I'm looking forward to Live a Live and Xenoblade Chronicles 3 - but everything else I'm planning to play, I'm planning on getting the PC version and playing on Deck where applicable.

BigBooper

8EKkiLM.jpg
Is that a screen protector on yours? I ordered the 512, but I'm not entirely enthusiastic about the anti glare screen. Hopefully I get my email tomorrow.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Is that a screen protector on yours? I ordered the 512, but I'm not entirely enthusiastic about the anti glare screen. Hopefully I get my email tomorrow.
This is my son's 256GB unit with amFilm screen protector. The clarity is great, but you do get quite a bit of reflection with the standard screen depending on the lighting.

The shot with Mass Effect Legendary is my 512GB unit with the anti-glare screen. I prefer it to the regular screen, but both are pretty good. Although Valve said screen protectors should work fine with the anti-glare screen, I'm not using it since I assumed it would add the reflection back to the screen. This is a shot from my unit...
Deck-Screen-Doom.jpg

Not only do I like the screen, having the bigger SSD has been nice since I'm dual-booting SteamOS+Win10 to have access to Game Pass.

Filben

Has anyone else the 'issue' that the fan starts for a second and then go silent again when playing not Performance heavy games?

When playing Stardew Valley the battery barely takes up 7 Watt, and is holding +4h of game time, yet the fan goes up every like 15 seconds just for one second (not loud though but noticeable) and then goes quiet again. No matter what GPU Clock or CPU tdp, it just doing this thing.

Any advice?

I have the latest update and been using the new fan curve since beta.

Ogbert

Is Elden Ring really temperamental for anyone else? Loads about 1 time in 3. Bit worried as I can sense a save file getting corrupted with 100s of hours on it.

‘Verified’ feels like a bit of a stretch….

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Steam Deck is a powerful little handheld capable of playing a lot of amazing games. OK, well it's not that little, but it makes up for its bulky size with sheer power and Steam's seemingly endless library of software. For our Top 10 Steam Deck Games list, we wanted to set up a few parameters for our recommendations, including the kind of games it's capable of running, how well it runs them, and portability.

There are a few caveats, of course. Some of these games, such as anything from EA will require an online sign-in from their Origin platform. Or other games might need some graphic settings tweaked to get running just right!

Burger

Honestly I've used mine more for streaming than anything else. Chiaki for PS5, and Steam Remote Play for PC. I've not taken it out of the house yet.

Bit of a bummer is that I had to send it off today as the right thumbstick was boned.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
This is fucking killing me man, it says Q2, isnt that now ffs??

C'mon Valve, get yer shit in order.
Q2 is April-June, so you should be getting it soon.
---
---
Concerning my whiney 512GB fan: Valve wants to RMA the whole unit although I specifically requested a replacement "good" fan(Huaying?). I'm reluctant since I don't trust them to include a unit with a good fan, and I don't trust that I'll get my unit back or a new unit. I suspect they'll attempt to send a replacement that's used/refurbished. It's a shitty position to be put in. I wish I could simply buy a good fan from iFixit, but my suspicion is that I'm competing with tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of people with defective Deck fans. Sucks ass.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Q2 is April-June, so you should be getting it soon.
---
---
Concerning my whiney 512GB fan: Valve wants to RMA the whole unit although I specifically requested a replacement "good" fan(Huaying?). I'm reluctant since I don't trust them to include a unit with a good fan, and I don't trust that I'll get my unit back or a new unit. I suspect they'll attempt to send a replacement that's used/refurbished. It's a shitty position to be put in. I wish I could simply buy a good fan from iFixit, but my suspicion is that I'm competing with tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of people with defective Deck fans. Sucks ass.
Take matters into your own hands

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Take matters into your own hands

That's the route I want to take. They sold out out between 3:30am-8:30am PST while I was sleeping. It was the initial listing, so at that time they didn't have a "Notify Me" option. I read on Reddit they were sold out within an hour. Something tells me not to trust Valve's quality assurance team on this one. I would be royally pissed off if I got a used or refurbished unit back instead of my own or a new one, and it still had fan whine. That happened to somebody in this thread I'll have to go back and look who it was.

This was my response to them wanting to RMA it:
I was clear that I prefer you to send me a Huaying fan that's been tested to be whine free at 4000rpm+. I trust myself to install it way more than Valve considering they allowed the problem in the first place.

If I was to continue with RMA, do I have guarantee:
1. I will receive a brand new unit or my old unit back? NO REFURBISHED or FACTORY RECONDITIONED!
2. I will receive a Huaying fan, not Delta?
3. I will receive a unit tested to assure it doesn't whine at 4000-6000rpm

I'm on a forum with a guy who sent in his unit and you sent him back a whiney fan.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Some offscreens shots of God of War, comparing Native vs FSR2 vs FSR1...
Native:
Native.jpg

FSR2 Quality:
Quality.jpg

FSR2 Balanced:
Balanced.jpg

FSR2 Performance:
Performance.jpg

FSR2 Ultra Performance:
Ultra-Performance.jpg

FSR1 768x480 Sharpening 5:
FSR1-768x480-Sharp5.jpg

FSR1 640x400 Sharpening 5:
FSR1-640x400-Sharp5.jpg

chixdiggit

• $649 for Steam Deck
  • 4,278 Games in Steam Library
  • Wait 11 months for preorder to arrive
  • Play Vampire Survivors (a $3 game that could run on a toaster) for the first hour when I finally do get it
Also played Aperture Desk Job and am pretty impressed with the Gyro control. I have used it on Switch but this seems much better. Do any other games use it?

Also played Songs of Conquest mostly to see how a mouse heavy game works. Pleasantly surprised. It's a bit of a learning curve but the touch pads work very nice. My only complaint is that for whatever reason the Left trigger acts as the Right Mouse button and the Right trigger as the Left mouse button. Anyway to fix this?

Thing is awesome overall. Really the perfect device for me.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Support got back and responded to my questions:
Thank you for reaching out, we do apologize for any delay.

We will address your questions in the order you've presented them.

1. All units currently received as a Steam Deck replacement are new units.
2. Steam Support doesn't have detailed assembly information for these units, but we have been working on improvements in hardware as well as software and are confident that your replacement will meet or exceed Valve's standards for fan acoustics.
3. Please refer to answer 2.

We are sorry to hear another user had received a device that still had an issue, please recommend them to reach out to us here at Steam Support in order for us to investigate further as we cannot assist you on their behalf.

Should you for any reason have any issues with your replacement device, we'll investigate further after you report this to us.

We do apologize that we do not have further information outside of what we've provided.

Best Regards,
I'm relieved that at least they send a new unit. I'm going to try the RMA process and see how it turns out. Wish me luck.

Last edited:

BigBooper

Support go back and responded to my questions:

I'm relieved that at least they send a new unit. I'm going to try the RMA process and see how it turns out. Wish me luck.
Good that they are trying to fix it anyways. Answer to #2 makes it seem almost like they are just trying to get rid of the bad fans and the new ones have the better fans. I guess it would probably be cheaper to just continue sending out the sucky fans than to repair and replace all of them before shipping because they won't necessarily bother everyone. Probably reading too much into it.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
  • $649 for Steam Deck
  • 4,278 Games in Steam Library
  • Wait 11 months for preorder to arrive
  • Play Vampire Survivors (a $3 game that could run on a toaster) for the first hour when I finally do get it
Also played Aperture Desk Job and am pretty impressed with the Gyro control. I have used it on Switch but this seems much better. Do any other games use it?

Also played Songs of Conquest mostly to see how a mouse heavy game works. Pleasantly surprised. It's a bit of a learning curve but the touch pads work very nice. My only complaint is that for whatever reason the Left trigger acts as the Right Mouse button and the Right trigger as the Left mouse button. Anyway to fix this?

Thing is awesome overall. Really the perfect device for me.

You can fully customize the controls for each game. It's in the gear/config menu for the game. You can just swap the trigger buttons in your case.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Good that they are trying to fix it anyways. Answer to #2 makes it seem almost like they are just trying to get rid of the bad fans and the new ones have the better fans. I guess it would probably be cheaper to just continue sending out the sucky fans than to repair and replace all of them before shipping because they won't necessarily bother everyone. Probably reading too much into it.
It was a diplomatic answer, but my guess is they haven't changed anything with the fans. Having fan noise that "meets or surpasses Valve's acoustic standards" sounds good until you realize the whiney fans met their acoustic standards.:messenger_neutral:

The only thing they could guarantee is that I'll receive a brand new unit. It's sucks because I like the unit I have, it's just the fan that's the issue, but they wouldn't send the fan on it's own and I couldn't buy one from iFixit since they sold out.

I'm re-imaging the Deck now, and I pulled my touchpad protectors off carefully and put them on a little sheet of plastic. They still seem sticky and look ok, hopefully I'll be able to reuse them. We'll see how it plays out. I really just hope I get a good fan with the new unit. That whiney shit was fucking my ears and brain.

Griffon

It was a diplomatic answer, but my guess is they haven't changed anything with the fans. Having fan noise that "meets or surpasses Valve's acoustic standards" sounds good until you realize the whiney fans met their acoustic standards.:messenger_neutral:

The only thing they could guarantee is that I'll receive a brand new unit. It's sucks because I like the unit I have, it's just the fan that's the issue, but they wouldn't send the fan on it's own and I couldn't buy one from iFixit since they sold out.

I'm re-imaging the Deck now, and I pulled my touchpad protectors off carefully and put them on a little sheet of plastic. They still seem sticky and look ok, hopefully I'll be able to reuse them. We'll see how it plays out. I really just hope I get a good fan with the new unit. That whiney shit was fucking my ears and brain.

Yeah I'm too attached to my unit to give it up now. I'd rather buy an ifixit fan whenever it's available.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Yeah I'm too attached to my unit to give it up now. I'd rather buy an ifixit fan whenever it's available.
It sucks, but I couldn't take the whine anymore. I'm still going to buy another fan if I get a chance. I would be bummed if they all the sudden came back in stock while I was waiting on the replacement. No going back now, though. Just have to hope for the best.🙏 Let us bow our heads and pray:

Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray Lord Gaben my Deck to keep
If I should cry before I 'wake,
I pray Fedex my Deck to take.

AMEN

gabe_newell_portrait_by_freddre_d4rnffi-fullview.jpg

Last edited:

chixdiggit

You can fully customize the controls for each game. It's in the gear/config menu for the game. You can just swap the trigger buttons in your case.
Can I just make the right trigger act as the right mouse button by default? Anyone else think this is an odd choice that it's not the Steam Deck default?

Velcro Fly

I love Bioshock so much. It is one of my favorite games. It is unsupported on Deck but still runs.

Only sometimes bringing up the map crashes the game. And sometimes it crashes during manual saves.

I thought it was just not compatible with the deck but apparently the game just exists in that state?

I finally beat Neptune's Bounty and will keep playing a level here and there when I have patience.

demigod

Anyone know if it’s better to get the 64gb and upgrade ssd manually to save $$$ or is it just better to get the 256gb?

Beechos

Anyone know if it’s better to get the 64gb and upgrade ssd manually to save $$$ or is it just better to get the 256gb?
I not sure if you can upgrade/change the internal ssd. I got the 64gb myself and have a couple 512gb microsd to swap in and out.

Holammer

The top 10 games on Steam Deck, for the past month, sorted by playtime.
- Elden Ring
- Vampire Survivors
- Rogue Legacy 2
- Stardew Valley
- No Man's Sky
- Slay the Spire
- Hades
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
- The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
- Aperture Desk Job

Games were mentioned at the end of the "we made another video" article, but not in order. Five rogue-likes? The list makes too much sense! I expect Valve to release more info like this as the platforms matures so developers feel it's worth the effort to make native Linux ports.

Greg Coomer is a long time Valve employee.

maxresdefault.jpg

Zannegan

Can I just make the right trigger act as the right mouse button by default? Anyone else think this is an odd choice that it's not the Steam Deck default?
Not really, because, for most people, the right trigger finger is dominant. Right/left isn't the key here, but dominance and muscle memory. It's just way more natural to flex the same finger to click as you would to left click a mouse.

It's why most games have major actions (like shooting) tied to the left mouse button on PC and the right trigger on console. I can't think of a PC/console game that isn't that way by default.

Having the left trigger = left click would completely throw me off.

EDIT: That said, there's probably a way to do it in the menus.

Last edited:

chixdiggit

Not really, because, for most people, the right trigger finger is dominant. Right/left isn't the key here, but dominance and muscle memory. It's just way more natural to flex the same finger to click as you would to left click a mouse.

It's why most games have major actions (like shooting) tied to the left mouse button on PC and the right trigger on console. I can't think of a PC/console game that isn't that way by default.

Having the left trigger = left click would completely throw me off.

EDIT: That said, there's probably a way to do it in the menus.
When you put it that way it makes complete sense. Because like you said I wouldn't expect the left trigger to shoot.
Strategy games though, it messes with my brain.

Zannegan

When you put it that way it makes complete sense. Because like you said I wouldn't expect the left trigger to shoot.
Strategy games though, it messes with my brain.
Ah, strategy games. I see what you're getting at. It would be weird to click and drag to select in the wrong direction.

Last edited:
Top Bottom