• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stealth mechanics are boring? Poll

Stealth mechanics are boring?

• Total voters

GHG

Actually the fun part starts after that point. Not every hitman get things done perfectly, there are more then few clumsy but "hardworking" hitmans out there:)

I played The last of us 1 again recently in grounded mode and dropped it after few chapters. Then i picked up Part 2 and started on hard mode and i'm having a real good time with it. I'm using all the weapons that game offers, not just bottle or brick, and it's perfect. So i decided to ask it here, to my fellow gaffers about it.

TLOU games have some of the most simplistic and trivial stealth mechanics of any game out there.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Phantom Pain was the last enjoyable stealth game due to the variety and detailed AI interactions. Today it's all about bushes, listen mode and automatic win button.
"Listen mode" shouldn't ever exist in any game form, it is such a lame mechanic. Same goes for tagging then hunting enemies which have triangular shapes above their heads. Meh.
Depends if the game is Batman Arkham Knight and you are driving a batmobile and you have to stealth kill Deathstroke's tank or if the game is Metro Exodus and you are playing as a killing machine named as Artyom and everthing wants to kill you, but you need to go stealthy and get that good ending. These are the examples of stealth making the game boring.
Stealth gets even more frustrating when used in FPS games. Wolfenstein was ok though.
TLOU games have some of the most simplistic and trivial stealth mechanics of any game out there.
And you can't turn off "listen mode" on top of that(except grounded mode?). I don't use it but some upgrade paths includes listen mod enhancements. What a waste of resources!

Last edited:

Fbh

It's not my favorite genre but I think it can be fun when done right.
But it's usually only done right in games that are build from the ground up with stealth in mind.

In games where it's just one of many options or where it's used only for certain areas/parts it sucks 99% of the time.

mortal

Gold Member
Shitty and shallow stealth mechanics, maybe.

A stealth game with very intuitive and rewarding stealth is anything but boring.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I hated it in early AssCreed games where if one person sees you, it's instant mission fail and you have to start over. I learned to love it in my 2nd playthrough of Deus EX HR.

The first time I played DE:HR I was let's just kill everyone and grab all the loot. The next time I noticed all the cool hidden paths to sneak around so I'd do that, get the XP, then go back and kill them all for more XP and then loot everything unmolested. I also love the stealth in Dishonored and I like it much better in the newer AssCreed games.

MGSV - hated it. I don't get why everyone thinks stealth in that game is great. To me it's boring and tedious as hell. That might be because I thought the whole game was boring and repetitious as hell. Going stealth instead of killing everyone took longer and was more tedious when you're doing the same stupid quest for the 100th time.

Soodanim

.MGSV - hated it. I don't get why everyone thinks stealth in that game is great. To me it's boring and tedious as hell. That might be because I thought the whole game was boring and repetitious as hell. Going stealth instead of killing everyone took longer and was more tedious when you're doing the same stupid quest for the 100th time.
I found it rewarding. Plus, it just feels wrong to me. It’s got to be stealth and non-lethal unless it’s a replay and I feel like switching it up. I enjoyed the open approach 5 allowed you to take, letting you scope out an area from various angles to decide you entry point and path. One particular mission involved infiltrating, going underground to rescue someone, then getting out. Doing all of that without being seen is so much more fun to me than it would have been to lazily blast my way through.

I turned off all HUD elements besides health (probably), grenade arcs (it’s still a game, I need some idea) and ammo count. Everything else made the game child’s play and actually negates one of the risk/reward elements in the bionic arm sonar.

The only thing I wish I had known sooner is that some walls are climbable in certain spots, so I would have had more options had I known it was an option. I only discovered it after I finished the game because I stuck to classic methods.

Last edited:
Top Bottom