• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield May Update - Adds 40/60 hz Options for Series X and More QoL Updates (May 15)

LordCBH

Yeah, I really wanted to be able to see my ship zipping past planets and stars like just about every other space ship game I played. They made traveling in space boring.

The combat wasn't bad though.

Expanding the space combat, let me build space stations, and make space travel feel more fun and it would be a W to me

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Yeah, I really wanted to be able to see my ship zipping past planets and stars like just about every other space ship game I played. They made traveling in space boring.

The combat wasn't bad though.
The sacrifice of Jack of all trades, king of none.

I absolutely love Starfield. It’s a game Taylor made for me. But I can definitely see its many faults/short comings.

Blizzje

You can already imagine the conversations: ps5 pro is coming out and we are releasing starfield on that bad boy. 30 fps versus 60 fps is immediately visible, so we need to make sure the series get it first.
A resolution difference? Well, that's to be expected and most of the people might not even notice it.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Ok, I’ve heard enough. I’m going back in now, and will hopefully be done with my first playthrough once this update comes out. That way NG+ really feels different.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Oh, how I missed the old girl.

GMlddjYbkAAfPs6

GMldij9asAAwdHz

I forgot I was level 107, lol

Last edited:

Variahunter

I don’t think that’ll be easy, would need all new procedural system to get transitions between biomes natural, or it’ll be like in No Man’s Sky with little biome variety.
They have to take up the challenge. They're not a tiny team like No man's Sky devs, and those are now doing an entire planet the size of the earth with different biomes with their next game, so Bethesda, the once pioneer in open world games, should lead the way. They have Xbox behind them, they have absolutely no excuses.

There are a few fairly lush biomes already, trees and bushes everywhere, but could be better for sure.
Problem is, the more dense the vegetation is the more annoying it’ll be to traverse, especially with a vehicle. It’ll be interesting to see how Bethesda solves that. Hello Games made vehicles break much of the vegetation, which can look quite weird but they aren’t going for realism so it’s alright I think.
I think Bethesda should add some Star Wars like hover jet bike, something where you don’t have to worry about uneven ground at least and small enough so you can go between trees and rocks easily. A car is great but not always optimal. I hope they don’t stop there.

What I meant is, even in those supposed lush biomes, it was sparse.
The fact that you can't traverse some biomes by vehicles because they're lush, IS the way to do it. I don't see anybody traverse the deep amazonian jungle by vehicle, do you ? That's the difficulty behind those biomes, and it will add a layer of preparation/difficulty to the gameplay of those biomes instead of those just being beautiful to look at compared to barren biomes.

This is why the vehicle only as an update is not enough. There's much more to do with it, and Honestly, a vehicle for 20 km² is useless. That's why they have to overhaul the whole procedural generation. No Man's Sky also revised their formula of procedural planet generation multiple times, why couldn't they? Are they constrained by Series S ? I really wonder because, while obviously not doing the same thing as NMS, which is running on far weaker consoles (even on Switch lol), the 20km² limit feels completely idiotic. There's obviously a limit to the engine, but they have to work on it because their planets feel dull. At least they have to find a work around like loading zones, but zones with no ties to each other and no link ? No sir, that didn't cut it.

Hover would be cool, but I think it's not excatly what they envision for their universe, they want it more grounded. Also, exploration should come with its terrain difficulties. Would be interesting imo if they could design the terrain in a way that you have to look around to find your way to traverse.

foamdino

For Devs in the future, a working map is something that belongs in v1 of the game, not in a Quality of Life update a year later. Thanks.

Fredrik

The fact that you can't traverse some biomes by vehicles because they're lush, IS the way to do it. I don't see anybody traverse the deep amazonian jungle by vehicle, do you ? That's the difficulty behind those biomes, and it will add a layer of preparation/difficulty to the gameplay of those biomes instead of those just being beautiful to look at compared to barren biomes.
Great point, that sounds great tbh! Then maybe they could make water vehicles too so you have to use rivers to cross a chunky jungle area. Could make for some cool action if enemies have bases at the sides and boats on their own. Vehicle combat!

It’ll never happen though. We’ll probably just have to evade every tree and rock and hole etc here with a clunky moon buggy of sorts. It’ll be… interesting. I know how cumbersome the buggy can be in NMS and there stuff explode when you drive fast. Still, better than just walking and jetpacking.
USNf9mV.jpeg

IcjgxI8.jpeg

VfCVFSx.jpeg

Last edited:

scydrex

Reason 948 not to buy games at launch
6-10 months seems to be the sweet spot right now for getting them fairly cheap and actually finished

If I'm not reading the info in the OP wrong it sounds like the 60fps mode will be on Series X only
Yes. It's only for X but the S have the same CPU as the X just less ram and gpu. Maybe it can do 60fps but at 720p or less? So maybe it's not worth it.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Fuck me.

I’m feeling that itch to just start over. I’m level 107 and just too strong for my first playthrough. I had to bump up all the difficulty settings, and even then, enemies level 100+ are dying with two bullets. I don’t even see enemy space crafts because my auto turrets kill them before I can react. It’s funny hearing my crew onboard comments going on like 20 seconds after the space battle is over.

GMmSswkbQAApeeA

JackMcGunns

Oh, how I missed the old girl.

GMlddjYbkAAfPs6

GMldij9asAAwdHz

I forgot I was level 107, lol

Nice! I'm tempted to jump back in after this update and give it another go. I stopped at NG+3, but that doesn't mean I didn't put in 700+hrs lol. After creating 3 amazing ships on my 3rd run and 15 bases to farm Vytinium fuel rods, I didn't want to NG further, but got to level 268 and focused on finding all bonus magazines.

skit_data

Seems 60fps mode is built to use with VRR displays only, otherwise there will be tearing

Last edited:
Fuck me.

I’m feeling that itch to just start over. I’m level 107 and just too strong for my first playthrough. I had to bump up all the difficulty settings, and even then, enemies level 100+ are dying with two bullets. I don’t even see enemy space crafts because my auto turrets kill them before I can react. It’s funny hearing my crew onboard comments going on like 20 seconds after the space battle is over.

GMmSswkbQAApeeA
Just keep in mind new game + you lose all gear so its just your perks. And more hard mode stuff is coming in 2 weeks.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Just keep in mind new game + you lose all gear so its just your perks. And more hard mode stuff is coming in 2 weeks.
Maybe I just skip all the side faction stuff, and go finish the main quest. Then start new game + with the new patch, and do the side stuff in new game +.

Last edited:
Maybe I just skip all the side faction stuff, and go finish the main quest. Then start new game + with the new patch, and do the side stuff in new game +.
Yep, totally up to you. If you want all your top gear when doing a faction line, do it now. If you want to do it with lower level gear do it on new game+. Main differences on new game+ is just whatever main quest gimmick you get.

Topher

Gold Member
What the hell happened to PC gamer? When did they become such clickbait loving turd hoppers? I'm not going to link to their latest shitcan article because it isn't worth reading, but the title is.....

Bethesda should just say 'screw it', move on from Starfield, and put all that energy into Fallout​

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

Fuck you PC gamer

What the hell happened to PC gamer? When did they become such clickbait loving turd hoppers? I'm not going to link to their latest shitcan article because it isn't worth reading, but the title is.....

Bethesda should just say 'screw it', move on from Starfield, and put all that energy into Fallout​

Fuck you PC gamer
This is Bethesda tax. Its rates are higher than xbox tax even.

Dunno what Bethesda did to offend so many media outlets. Sounds like a survival threat to them or something.

Fredrik

Fuck me.

GMmSswkbQAApeeA
Tbh that sounds awesome. I’ve never even been close to that OP and I struggle so much with space battles, I mostly build space ships for looks.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Tbh that sounds awesome. I’ve never even been close to that OP and I struggle so much with space battles, I mostly build space ships for looks.
I had a group of 4 bounty hunters try to take me out. Not even 5 seconds later, they were were all dead and all I did was turn my ship maybe 45 degrees and my auto turrets did the rest.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Seems 60fps mode is built to use with VRR displays only, otherwise there will be tearing

No, that's just flat out wrong lol. Some tearing may occur depending on how they're using V-sync but the 60 FPS mode will obviously work with non VRR displays as well.

Hell, it just sounds like you will be able to straight up un-cap the frame rate. *THAT* will definitely lead to tearing on 60hz displays without VRR (the uncap options might just be greyed out if you don't have VRR I reckon).

Last edited:
Can't wait as the firefights in this game are some of the best and at 60 FPS it's going to be mighty on my Series X (I don't game on the PC, before the Master Race starts) It's a shame the land vehicles seem way early into production as I can't wait to have that mode in the game. It reminds me so much of StarFlight - One of the best games on the Mega Drive if not the best.

So wish EA would remake that game for the modern era

Sybrix

Having not played Starfield since Decemeber last year, i played it yesterday with the Steam Beta update and the improvments are welcome, the maps are so much better.

This is definatly a step in the right direction, will egarly await the next updates such as the buggy.

I think when the new DLC hits it's going to have a lots of new features for this game.

A GOTY edition, if they still exisit, in a years time will be when to play Starfield.

HOWEVER..............................

Having these updated world maps just shows you how empty these planets are, it's almost embarrassing when compared to playing Fallout or Skyrim.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Best friendIt reminds me so much of StarFlight - One of the best games on the Mega Drive if not the best.
I Love U Ily GIF by i-love-you

I never played it much on Mega Drive thoigh, played it a lot on Amiga 2000 with my brother… and I mean we played it a LOT (benefit from parents using Amiga and C64 as their workstations hehe). We really love that game.

It would be good if they did a sequel, still keeping mostly the same visuals, going crazy with a mix of randomised and handcrafted content.

Best I can hope for, for now at least, is this kickstarter:

I backed it, it seems very StarFlight like (StarControl to be fair, but eh… not too far off the other).

Last edited:
I Love U Ily GIF by i-love-you

I never played it much on Mega Drive thoigh, played it a lot on Amiga 2000 with my brother… and I mean we played it a LOT (benefit from parents using Amiga and C64 as their workstations hehe). We really love that game.

It would be good if they did a sequel, still keeping mostly the same visuals, going crazy with a mix of randomised and handcrafted content.

Best I can hope for, for now at least, is this kickstarter:

I backed it, it seems very StarFlight like (StarControl to be fair, but eh… not too far off the other).

I never played the PC or Amiga version, but loved the Mega Drive game. It's such an overlooked gem of a game and it's most prob my fav Mega Drive game. I would love a AAA 3D remake of the game, but sadly it will never happen

I still have it for the MD complete with the map

FdqJuhK.jpeg

BigLee74

HOWEVER..............................

Having these updated world maps just shows you how empty these planets are, it's almost embarrassing when compared to playing Fallout or Skyrim.
It’s almost embarrassing how few real sized planets Fallout or Skyrim have…

Your point isnt a good one. Fallout/Skyrim take place in a relatively tiny area. Starfield is in space with a 1000 real sized planets and countless dockable ships and space stations. Doing the main missions and side quests will take you to all the unique hand crafted areas and points of interest - of which there are many. That is your map and exploration.

The ability to land anywhere on any planet is a side game that adds to the feeling of truly being in space. There is no real reason to do it other than find nice looking places to call home and build bases, and to survey for xp/rewards. They’ve tried to make it interesting, but it doesn’t quite hit with nowhere near enough unique points of interest. Even worse, some of them are repeated in the main story.

At least they are still working on improving that particular sub-system. It just needs a little fleshing out to make it more worthwhile.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I had a group of 4 bounty hunters try to take me out. Not even 5 seconds later, they were were all dead and all I did was turn my ship maybe 45 degrees and my auto turrets did the rest.
Bethesda should let users upload their ships to an online shipyard or something. I want some of that fire power!

I made a super focused melee build and went through the whole game using only a sword 🗡️ Quite easy. Then I went to the big starborn confrontation in space near the end and died almost immediately… 🤕 Had to back out of it just to get a better ship, I have the Mantis now at least, will give it another go. Or I might turn down the space combat difficulty now that you can do that, but that’ll feel like a failure tbh.

Fredrik

Maybe watch a lets play on Youtube and see for yourself how much loading is actually there?
I’ve clocked the loading times on my PC. Fade to black 1-3 seconds when going through doors to a new area. Load screen looking at my own photo mode pics 6-8 seconds when going to another part of the galaxy. Standard 980 Pro m2 and 9700X CPU.
I dunno, maybe it’s because I grew up loading games from cassette tapes, I can’t see the problem. 🤷‍♂️

Tbh I wish they had a longer cool procedural generated varied flight sequence when doing fast travel so you get to look more at your cool ship you spent hours building.

I’ve clocked the loading times on my PC. Fade to black 1-3 seconds when going through doors to a new area. Load screen looking at my own photo mode pics 6-8 seconds when going to another part of the galaxy. Standard 980 Pro m2 and 9700X CPU.
I dunno, maybe it’s because I grew up loading games from cassette tapes, I can’t see the problem. 🤷‍♂️

Tbh I wish they had a longer cool procedural generated varied flight sequence when doing fast travel so you get to look more at your cool ship you spent hours building.
With SSDs in all systems, I doubt people would’ve even noticed the loading if they played by themselves instead of watching stuff on internet.

After loading became a big deal, I was pretty conscious of any loading screens. They are always pretty swift, unnoticeable for most part even if you pay them attention.

Wish list for Starfield is humongous for me as well. Its their own fault they made the game like this.

BosmerCulter

Neo Member

Fuck you PC gamer

They made the same article 3 years ago on Cyberpunk

If CD Projekt had listened to them, we would never have gotten Phantom Liberty or patch 2.0

Sybrix

It’s almost embarrassing how few real sized planets Fallout or Skyrim have…

Your point isnt a good one. Fallout/Skyrim take place in a relatively tiny area. Starfield is in space with a 1000 real sized planets and countless dockable ships and space stations. Doing the main missions and side quests will take you to all the unique hand crafted areas and points of interest - of which there are many. That is your map and exploration.

The ability to land anywhere on any planet is a side game that adds to the feeling of truly being in space. There is no real reason to do it other than find nice looking places to call home and build bases, and to survey for xp/rewards. They’ve tried to make it interesting, but it doesn’t quite hit with nowhere near enough unique points of interest. Even worse, some of them are repeated in the main story.

At least they are still working on improving that particular sub-system. It just needs a little fleshing out to make it more worthwhile.

Not my type of thing then.

Much prefer a map to explore with genuine points of interest than more detailed missions which Starfield objectivly still doesnt have.

Go back and watch Bethesda pre-launch promos, at no point is Starfield sold as a different experiance to their previous games, supposed to have genuine worlds to explore akin to Fallout and Skyrim, Starfield dosnt have that.

BigLee74

Not my type of thing then.

Much prefer a map to explore with genuine points of interest than more detailed missions which Starfield objectivly still doesnt have.

Go back and watch Bethesda pre-launch promos, at no point is Starfield sold as a different experiance to their previous games, supposed to have genuine worlds to explore akin to Fallout and Skyrim, Starfield dosnt have that.
You are not alone - a lot of people miss the ‘let’s just walk and see what I stumble across’ found in Skyrim/Fallout. I’m pretty sure they would have been aware of this whilst developing.

I don’t understand your ‘at no point is it sold as a different experience to their previous games’ line though. At no point was it sold as ‘the same experience’. It’s a different game with the same genetics, simple as. When I played it, it played exactly as they had suggested it would and how I imagined it would - (except for seamless planet traversal - but given the realistic size and barrenness of planets, that is absolutely no loss).

I dunno, it’s my type of game. The setting is right up my alley. But I am certainly not blind to it’s shortcomings!

Top Bottom