• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield has 'Mixed' reviews on Steam (Up: 'Recent' reviews are Mostly Negative)

Thirty7ven

Banned
Yea i posted that yesterday in god knows what thread, too many starfield threads now haha.

But this, combined with recent example like the one below from Jedi survivor :

In Jedi Survivor's case, this cannot be done by anything else than a junior developer with no peer review from seniors in the team. Like nobody should be pushing this code with the performance graphs it has

Let's not even go into the script kiddies who find problems or fix problems such as the Last of Us using a bugged Oodle version or the constant ultrawide screen support done by just changing an HEX entry.

Any arguments to protect these devs/publishers from not doing the basics of giving a shit for a port is unsupported. More and more peoples are looking deep into the microbenchmarks of the games and find sheer UTTER INCOMPETENCE.

Now imagine, Microsoft's published game with probably a ton of engineers working on it for the last year to polish the game, doesn't even support their own fucking API correctly.

MV5BNmNkNWU5NzUtNmVkNS00ZDE2LTg0NjgtNTIxNWYxOWIyM2FlXkEyXkFqcGdeQWFkcmllY2xh._V1_.jpg

Gatcha games, Live service bulshit, and other factors have driven away a lot of the talent that used to want to break into the industry, talent that used to be attracted by a constant boundary pushing philosophy in terms of tech and artistic ambitions.

There’s only a few devs out there who have a calling card good enough to tempt true talent.

Publishers have tried their best to turn game dev into factory work, which means those talented programmers and engineers will just opt for another industry where they get paid a lot more.

This industry needs passion, this is a creative industry.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
If you want something that plays a lot like fallout4, and you have a pretty good PC, yeah it's worth a buy. But waiting a bit for a patch or two is valid. For me it hits just right because I like the BGS games, even with their jank, and I'm a sucker for space/sci-fi settings, my favorite genre. I think one thing most people can agree on is that it's likely to have long legs and will ported to every device and appliance not owned by Sony over the next 10 years. So there will be plenty of time to pick it up when you feel like it. It's not going anywhere.
Thanks.
Depends whom you ask.
I played it for 30 minutes and uninstalled it, so...

Kermit The Frog Reaction GIF by Muppet Wiki
LOL. Fair enough.

StereoVsn

This review bombing nonsense is just a false narrative. But looking at those comments, it is pretty obvious that this is tied directly to pisspoor performance more than anything else. Bethesda needs to get off their ass.
According to Todd, everyone just needs a better PC!

Also people really need to knock off with the whole Song fans review bombing conspiracy.

StereoVsn

You know there are probably a few PlayStation twitter idiots out there that did something like that, but nothing that's going to move the rating by even a hundredth of a percent.

As far as Todd Howard....

consent GIF
Yeah, I wonder what's going to happen with performance and patching in general. Bethesda never really goes out of their way to correct issues.

As for Steam Reviews, yeah, out of many thousands reviews there are probably a few outliears but line you said, they are going to be miniscule.

Just DLSS and FOV crap we're enough to outweigh anything else by far.
anyone knows why steam performance is way better then gamepass ?

Is it though? Honestly not sure but could be some additional latency due to encryption or some BS like that, but a bit doubtful.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I can't believe it's fallen this low honesty. Really getting close to FO76 which the whole community absolutely abhor because of the bullshit microtransaction, lack of npc and especially fucking paid servers.

FO76 is a better game that more consistently rewards exploration and discovery. All the things you've described are business decisions that don't really impact the core gameplay (other than the stash space which is big time scummy).

. . .on every metric that matters - world building, consistency in the user experience, density of activities, etc. - FO76 wins. Easily. FO76 in SF's graphics engine would immediately get me to play that game again.

Lokaum D+

Yeah, I wonder what's going to happen with performance and patching in general. Bethesda never really goes out of their way to correct issues.

As for Steam Reviews, yeah, out of many thousands reviews there are probably a few outliears but line you said, they are going to be miniscule.

Just DLSS and FOV crap we're enough to outweigh anything else by far.

Is it though? Honestly not sure but could be some additional latency due to encryption or some BS like that, but a bit doubtful.
i have two versions runing at medium 1080p, FSR, on steam version i get 30fps 99% , gamepass version i get 26 fps Max with dips to 19 on combat and cities.

StereoVsn

i have two versions runing at medium 1080p, FSR, on steam version i get 30fps 99% , gamepass version i get 26 fps Max with dips to 19 on combat and cities.
That's interesting. Guessing somebody screwed something up with encryption then, because it's really same thing just wrapped in extra layer of UWP BS.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
This thread has been kinda fun to keep jumping back in to read past few days. It's amusing now seeing the chest beating first page replies for the 89% make way for conspiracies and excuses as the score decreases over the next 20 pages
My favorite conspiracy narrative was the one about how Sony PlayStation was paying for copies to review bomb and then refund 😂

It was fun watching certain individuals walking that one back when called out on it 😂

laynelane

This review bombing nonsense is just a false narrative. But looking at those comments, it is pretty obvious that this is tied directly to pisspoor performance more than anything else. Bethesda needs to get off their ass.

The bugs and glitches in their games, which are never fixed by Bethesda themselves, are my biggest issue with them. I'm playing Skyrim (PS4) and it has bugs that I have found detailed in the wikis - bugs that have been fixed by modders but not by Bethesda despite the age and number of times this game has been re-released. I think Todd's comment about upgrading PCs shows the attitude which has resulted in this ongoing problem. Thing is, people are less tolerant now than they once were. Fallout 76 may have something to do with that since there was a lot of push back on its technical performance compared to earlier Bethesda releases.

Last edited:

simpatico

Bethesda has a huge fanbase. No doubt some of them have been coasting on a 670 GTX, playing Skyrim and Fallout 4 without too many problems on ultra low. Modern game comes out and all hell breaks loose. My half brother is one of them. Just checked, and he's got 7,600 hours on Fallout 4 and 12,800 on Skyrim. Runs an AMD card from the Clinton administration era. No clue how he's faring with Starfield, but probably not very good.

Fahdis

Steam coerced me into it. After I had playtime they asked me for a review.

I gave a thumbs up, and wrote 'fun game'. I did not know I was contributing to the rise or fall of western civilization while doing so.

Apparently it is. Also, Steam gives you an option. It's not mandatory 😂.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Bethesda has a huge fanbase. No doubt some of them have been coasting on a 670 GTX, playing Skyrim and Fallout 4 without too many problems on ultra low. Modern game comes out and all hell breaks loose. My half brother is one of them. Just checked, and he's got 7,600 hours on Fallout 4 and 12,800 on Skyrim. Runs an AMD card from the Clinton administration era. No clue how he's faring with Starfield, but probably not very good.

moon-patrol-arcade-wide.png

Lokaum D+

If you have access to the "full functional demo version" try that one out as well. I was curious to see if DRM (if they are using any) had any effect on performance
I dont think they are using DRM, atleast not Denuvo, but its locked 30fps, with almost everything on medium ( npc density and motion blur Low ) FSR2, res scale 100%

Runnig on a RTX 2060 + ryzen 5 3600 + 16GB DDR4 3200.

On gamepass i lose 20% performance, i said that i would post pics, but unisnstalled gamepass version and dont wanna download 116gb just for pics.

Yonyx

Banned
Dang, it's still falling. In the beginning, I was surprised it did so well (89%). The score started to fall over time, which made sense. I was surprised when it fell below Fallout 4 (82%), which was the game that caused me to lose faith in Bethesda (I'd been a previous fan of everything back to Morrowind, but I couldn't get into Fallout 4 despite multiple attempts). I was very surprised when it reached a halfway point between Fallout 4 and Fallout 76, which I never touched and is clearly Bethesda's low point. Now, I'm rather shocked to see that the score continues to fall, and it's much closer to Fallout 76 than Fallout 4.

• Fallout New Vegas : 95.24%
  • Skyrim : 93.88%
  • Oblivion : 93.77%
  • Morrowind : 93.14%
  • Fallout 4 : 81.85%
  • Starfield 72.83%
  • Fallout 76 : 71.73%

I've already made up my mind to pass on the game, based on previous reviews/impressions. Still, I find it entertaining to watch the score. How low will it go?

You forgot Fallout 3.

I need to say it: I hate how New Atlantis looks. Everything.
Having said this, I absolutely love Skyrim (its soundtrack is pure magic), I liked Oblivion... I'm going to keep playing Starfield, of course. However, I still don't feel that urge to uncover the mysteries sorrounding the story and I've had more boring moments than I would've expected.

Was thinking of getting this game on PC but now I'm thinking I might just wait for performance fixes and game improvements.
Is it still worth getting now?
I think it is. It runs fine for me and I have a mid range machine at best I think. I have experienced very little in terms of bugs or problems and having quite a bit of fun with it. Was a little slow to pickup but I was interested enough to keep going and now quite fancy what it is. I like Elder Scrolls games a lot and for a long time, so part of it is just enjoying "this kind" of game. I'd recommend checking it out depending on what you like.

yamaci17

Runs and looks great on my XSX.

Methinks the PC master race are a bit too picky.
pc is a platform where most people escape 30 fps stuff from consoles. actually there were a lot of console folks who used this as an argument and how PC became meaningless now that consoles provided 60 fps modes

getting 30 40 fps in starfield is super easy. you can even probably do it on a gtx 1070 i5 8400 rig. all the way to the finish.
the problem is getting 50+ fps. A FPS game should be able to lock to 60 on midrange hardware, similar to doom eternal
TPS mode, 30 fps is acceptable. but again, this is PC, not console. majority of people on PC will request/demand higher framerates as a feature from this platform.

in this case however, even upper midrange CPUs are unable to break past 50 fps in cpu bound locations (due to the performance the game targets on consoles and console CPUs catching up somewhat with modern CPUs. at least compared to Jaguars that is)

I, personally, have no problem playing this at 30 or 40 FPS and will do so once I started it. but rest, not so much. there's still a sizable group that accepts shoddy average framerate (35 fps to 50 fps). steam reviews being at %70s or so is proof of that. so they're not even that picky

Last edited:

Crayon

pc is a platform where most people escape 30 fps stuff from consoles. actually there were a lot of console folks who used this as an argument and how PC became meaningless now that consoles provided 60 fps modes

getting 30 40 fps in starfield is super easy. you can even probably do it on a gtx 1070 i5 8400 rig. all the way to the finish.
the problem is getting 50+ fps. A FPS game should be able to lock to 60 on midrange hardware, similar to doom eternal
TPS mode, 30 fps is acceptable. but again, this is PC, not console. majority of people on PC will request/demand higher framerates as a feature from this platform.

in this case however, even upper midrange CPUs are unable to break past 50 fps in cpu bound locations (due to the performance the game targets on consoles and console CPUs catching up somewhat with modern CPUs. at least compared to Jaguars that is)

I, personally, have no problem playing this at 30 or 40 FPS and will do so once I started it. but rest, not so much. there's still a sizable group that accepts shoddy average framerate (35 fps to 50 fps). steam reviews being at %70s or so is proof of that. so they're not even that picky

Mouse users. I'm fine with 30fps if it's what's accessible. Has to be with a controller though. With a mouse, 30fps is total no go. I haven't used a mouse in a long time but I do use gyro aiming which changes things in a similar way.

Top Bottom