• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield has 'Mixed' reviews on Steam (Up: 'Recent' reviews are Mostly Negative)

AntiCap

Nah I have to disagree ... 50 hours is actually a good chunk of time to put in a game especially if you're a working adult. I have a hard time thinking somebody can play a game for 50 hours and not like it. And I think your last sentence says it all ... you love it until you don't. If somebody puts 50 hours into a game odds are they are enjoying what they're playing. I loved Elite Dangerous for years until I became bored and then jaded and had to catch the negativity that was creeping in. Now I can say, yes I enjoyed the game and would recommend it to people, with the caveat that after a while it becomes "samey" and repetitive. But what game doesn't feel that way after X hours?
Experiences like this aren’t just moment to moment though. The buildup, anticipation, climax and release are all connected, and if one of them breaks down, it can sour the others retroactively.

• Finding an interesting outpost with some environmental storytelling will be soured upon finding the same copy-paste base elsewhere (and that goes beyond being samey).
  • Lost Season 1 retroactively becomes bad when you watch Season 2 and realise none of the intriguing questions they asked were ever underpinned by satisfactory answers.
  • Using different elements in FFXVI is fun until you realise they are genuinely meaningless.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Draugoth Draugoth Time to update the thread title:

9zdVi5k.jpg
Sir, this is incorrect / outdated data.

Steamdb gets its data from Steam. So the numbers are the same across both platforms.

@SmokedMeat, the reason you're seeing different numbers on Steam is that it automatically applies filters by your preferred language. You've to remove filters every time you want to see the overall data. That's why Steamdb.info is the easiest way to find the data.

Otherwise, both platforms show the same numbers.

If I remove all the filters on Steam, it'll show me the same data as Steamdb.info -- barring a handful of reviews that are still being synced.

uqsnnZt.jpg
F9lekgi.jpg

Elysium44

Banned
This question comes up. You'll see bad reviews with 1000+ hours. While there's a little bit of familiarity breeding contempt, most of those reviews are sincere if you read them. If you think about it, who could be more qualified to assess the game?

50 hours is minor in comparison and I bet most of us have experienced that souring. I've had soooooo many games that I am loving until I don't.

It's the same with films. I've watched a film where it's good at the beginning and I enjoy watching it, but as it goes on, it goes downhill and I realise I'm not enjoying it any more. I may continue to watch in the hope it gets better, or at least to find out the ending, which might redeem it. Then I get to the end and there is no payoff, no twist, nothing that made it worth it. So I may go and review it and give a bad review. Would some 'smart' person say 'Ah! You claim the film is bad and yet you watched all two hours of it! Curious!'

Vblad88

They should replace review scores with "similarity" scores - how much new game resembles previous work. In that system I would usually play 3/10s but sometimes also 9/10s. Everyone would be happy, devs would know how much formulas hanging on, and how new ideas are received.

Now? I hear it is Bethesda game, so I don't care, bc I hate Fallouts > 2 and Outer Worlds, but I liked walking around in Skyrim. And still there are voices of "best game I played ever". That's confusing.

GooseMan69

Welp, I’m kind of relieved I don’t feel compelled to buy an Xbox now. Was seriously considering it before. It’s been less than a week and it seems like people are already kinda lukewarm on the game. Would definitely play it if I could, but making a $500 hardware plunge just to play it? Yeah, nah.

Fredrik

Steam reviews are great, just filter out low playtime and most troll reviews are removed, that’s how you’re supposed to do it. Just set it to 5 hours as minimum and it’ll still have the very positive tag.

You can even go higher than 5 on minimum playtime since most who play Bethesda’s games will think it’s better once it picks up some speed. I went from 8 to 9 within the first 10 hours.

And if you want you can even set a maximum to not catch those who has played it forever and got bored or lost the interest because they started playing other games or didn’t like the ng+ or side content after main story is finished.

It’s the best review tool there is imo. If you use it right.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Welp, I’m kind of relieved I don’t feel compelled to buy an Xbox now. Was seriously considering it before. It’s been less than a week and it seems like people are already kinda lukewarm on the game. Would definitely play it if I could, but making a $500 hardware plunge just to play it? Yeah, nah.
Do what you like, of course, but the people with the strongest, most prolific opinions on Starfield being a letdown on this forum seem to be the ones who haven't played it.

Last edited:

Klik

Only 5.6/10 score on Metacritics is justifiable.

I'm around 40hours into the game and its getting boring really quick. Just feels like souless game with outdated engine from 2010. I really enjoyed previous Bethesda games but i regret spending money on this one..

Man this gen is such a disappointment. Good thing i have PC so i can play some simracing, Counterstrike and strategy games. I really hope Civilization 7 will come soon

Last edited:

Edmund

Steam reviews are great, just filter out low playtime and most troll reviews are removed, that’s how you’re supposed to do it. Just set it to 5 hours as minimum and it’ll still have the very positive tag.

You can even go higher than 5 on minimum playtime since most who play Bethesda’s games will think it’s better once it picks up some speed. I went from 8 to 9 within the first 10 hours.

And if you want you can even set a maximum to not catch those who has played it forever and got bored or lost the interest because they started playing other games or didn’t like the ng+ or side content after main story is finished.

Go one step further and filter out all the negative views and you'll get 100% positive ones. Hear only the good stuff.

Last edited:

GooseMan69

Do what you like, of course, but the people with the strongest, most prolific opinions on Starfield being a letdown on this forum seem to be the ones who haven't played it.

I’ve been gathering opinions from a variety of sources. Critic reviews, user reviews, YouTube, Reddit, and of course real life. From what I’ve gathered, it’s not a system seller on its own. It’s just not.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I was thinking about the people saying that you need to unhide other languages to see all the reviews.I know this is off topic but I have no idea where else to say it, if you live in a non english primary language you absolutely need to unhide other languages since it also hide games that don't support the one that are not hidden.
It may be not clear but just to give you my example I am french and only french was selected on my profile (simply because I didn't take the time to see check settings) and there was a ton of games that weren't showing even on a search.But once I check showing all languages all the games were there.
Maybe it is common knowledge but maybe it helped some people.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

That will show flawed data.

If someone doesn't like the game, chances are they will refund the game within 2 hours of playtime and leave a negative review (Steam won't usually refund after 2 hours). If you set it to 5 hours minimum, it'll disregard all those people and present to you a very artificially rosy picture.

Steam user reviews should be taken in their entirety.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I was thinking the same, if this game turned out to be an absolute banger and I love me some Skyrim (Fallout never did it for me) it would've been hard to not take the plunge, with it's average reviews and the fact that BG3 is sooo fucking good I'll be sticking with the PS5, having said that I'd love a way to play Sea of Thieves with the kids ffs

Bkdk

Banned
One of the biggest issue of this game is development time. Next time ms need to limit elder scrolls 6’s Dev time to 5 years. Too long of a dev cycle hurt games. I’d rather just have more classic Bethesda one seamless open world to explore and one that I could play mods with. Skyrim only took 3 years and they made dragon attacking villages work. Fallout 3 is around 2.5 years and they created a completely different art style than elder scrolls games and fun to explore. I think Bethesda game studios work so much better with some reasonable pressure. Also there needs to be big restoring of their studio. if they insist on such long dev cycle for ES6, then next time tell obsidian to remake new Vegas in creation engine 2.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Haha... you are setting yourself up to fail.

You are pretty much guaranteeing that the data you get is flawed.

This is certainly no GoTG contender like Returnal. Haven't tried Baldurs Gate 3 yet, but it sounds like that's the better RPG.
No, it is not. And neither is Returnal. I don't do game reviews, or talk much on released games (outside the technical stuff) because I generally feel a lot of this stuff is subjective, but I can't help but feel gamers throw praise and accolades around these days with very little merit.

So far, I have put 25hrs+ into the game, and I am enjoying it (even though its gameplay loop has become very obvious, and started feeling very similar). Definitely not a GOTG contender. Not even a GOTY contender in my book.

Last edited:

Montauk

Sometimes I wonder if some of you spend more time carefully watching the aggregated review scores for games you hate simply so you can post about that, then you do playing games you like.

That seems to be a more compelling form of entertainment than any game for some here.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Was fallout 3 bad on PC? I always thought the concensus was it was better than 4 but I played it on console...so not sure.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Seems like the more people played it the less they liked it and the more its hidden flaws were becoming apparent which reflected the score. This is pretty much the consensus from every streamer too

Any good streamers I should check out playing the game? I know shroud enjoys it a lot. But I haven't really checked any others.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned

Love this sentiment. Only the bad ones are the fake ones and all the positive ones are legit. These companies never spend a dime to shower their product with good reviews or their fanboys. Cmon man….

Last edited:

SoSola

Banned
Only rats and contrarian shills wanted it to fail, feels like the NMA "Boycott Bethesda's Fallout 3" all over again.

I could get into Kreet into a one and half hour and that's after exploring and reloading saves for fun, you can do that in 30-40 minutes if you don't care about going too far.

Tbf it's only rats who like Bethesda games. They're all painfully mediocre and overrated by people who haven't played other open world games or action RPGs.

Dragon's Dogma is better than anything Bethesda has ever released.

Last edited:

Astray

I love how the writers structured this season of console wars.

1st we get the curated early reviews, which gets the sony warriors malding, then we get to see the review averages go down with time, making the xbox warriors mald.

10/10, looking forward to the Spider Man 2 story arc.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Tbf it's only rats who like Bethesda games. They're all painfully mediocre and overrated by people who haven't played other open world games or action RPGs.

Dragon's Dogma is better than anything Bethesda has ever released.

Take a look back through the past couple of years and you'll see that a significant number of people wanted to play Bethesda games on other systems. Some even launched petitions to beg Microsoft to put it on PS5.

JohnnyTropics

Neo Member
They should replace review scores with "similarity" scores - how much new game resembles previous work. In that system I would usually play 3/10s but sometimes also 9/10s. Everyone would be happy, devs would know how much formulas hanging on, and how new ideas are received.

Now? I hear it is Bethesda game, so I don't care, bc I hate Fallouts > 2 and Outer Worlds, but I liked walking around in Skyrim. And still there are voices of "best game I played ever". That's confusing.
In 2007, Netflix was renowned for their rating scale.
The way it worked was they collected a bunch of demographic information on you up front, then asked you to rate every movie you had seen--whether through their mail-based delivery system, or on your own in the theater, or in your past--and assign it a 1-5 rating.
You also were asked to rate genres, and--if I remember correctly--they would occasionally hit you with pop ups like "have you seen this movie? did you like it?" or "does this look like a genre or a movie you'd be interested in?"
Every movie that you hadn't seen was then given a predicted rating, and they would list them in order at the bottom of your queue.
Their premise was the more info you gave them, the more accurate their recommendations would be (duh).
They held yearly competitions with a 1 million dollar prize to anyone who could improve the formula they used, and university math departments were the main entrants.

The problem is, it's bad for business.
Every Netflix user in America had a really clear indicator of what movies they would hate.
Any company that has ratings and ALSO sells the products that are rated, has zero incentive to have "honest" review algorithms.
Now you get told what you like, and the algorithms have been optimized for control.

For your system to work, you would need to operate independently of point-of-sale, ala a site dedicated solely to demo info in, game recos out.
However, because demographic information in is a/the major factor in making recos, the current social landscape doesn't lend itself to this type of system anymore, as half of the gaming community thinks their demographics are changeable.

Sonik

Any good streamers I should check out playing the game? I know shroud enjoys it a lot. But I haven't really checked any others.

I think Shroud is the only one from the big streamers left playing it. Quin stopped, Asmongold stopped, Moist stopped, I really can't remember anyone that either didn't quit or quickly rushed through the main quest to finish it.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
I love how the writers structured this season of console wars.

1st we get the curated early reviews, which gets the sony warriors malding, then we get to see the review averages go down with time, making the xbox warriors mald.

10/10, looking forward to the Spider Man 2 story arc.
Spiderman would need to get 79 MC.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
How long until it reaches Fallout 76 levels? :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I don't think it will hit Fallout 76 or fall below that review score (71.74%), but it sure is close.
  • Fallout 76 had a total of 89,220 reviews.
  • Starfield so far has a total of 50,000 reviews.
  • Fallout 76 has 27.53% negative reviews.
  • Starfield has 23.98% negative reviews.
If Starfield's negative ratio stays roughly the same (<25%), it will settle somewhere around 73%, ~1.25 points above Fallout 76.

But significantly more reviews may change that situation.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I think Shroud is the only one from the big streamers left playing it. Quin stopped, Asmongold stopped, Moist stopped, I really can't remember anyone that either didn't quit or quickly rushed through the main quest to finish it.

Just watched Moist's review. Proper level headed and awesome review for playing under 12 hours.

Its a Bethesda game through and through.

Topher

Gold Member

You are not wrong. Reviews with low playtime are typically just not quality reviews especially in an open world RPG than spans dozens of hours. The exception to that, however, would be negative reviews based on performance. Those are good reviews as long as the reviewer states what hardware they have in order to inform others of what to expect.

But this.....is worthless....

TeQImQx.png

Stuart360

Who cares. Reviews always climb back up over time with review bombed games.
A year from now it will probably be back to 'Very Positive'.

Last edited:
Top Bottom