• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix will "aggressively pursue a multiplatform strategy that includes Nintendo platforms, PlayStation, Xbox, and PCs"

"Xbox is going third party"

GAMING is going third party and thank God. If you're actually still hoping for the anti-consumer practice of exclusivity, you have been brainwashed by the makers of a plastic box or the other plastic box.

We should want a type of nuclear disarmament here. One by one back and forth each side gives up and exclusive (or all at once!) until everything is everywhere and we can made decisions about hardware based on the HARDWARE rather than some forced scarcity equation based on exclusive games.

GAMING is going third party and thank God. If you're actually still hoping for the anti-consumer practice of exclusivity, you have been brainwashed by the makers of a plastic box or the other plastic box.

We should want a type of nuclear disarmament here. One by one back and forth each side gives up and exclusive (or all at once!) until everything is everywhere and we can made decisions about hardware based on the HARDWARE rather than some forced scarcity equation based on exclusive games.

Get fked Phil

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

But keep Forspoken to one platform, it's the videogame equivalent of an STD, we don't want to spread it.

It’s just lip service, if the ports are cheap they will port to Xbox but it’s not like this is a major driver for their plan going forward. Xbox may even have to pay to get their games on the platform, this is coming off the heels of FF Online coming to xbox

I think it is that simple.

Sony wanted to lock down big exclusives early on to counter what Xbox was doing buying up Bethesda.

That’s no longer a risk since Xbox is third party and X/S sales are in the tank.

Sony had to pay significantly for those exclusives and having a backstop of that magnitude while you can still monetize to other platforms in the future is free money to Square. No reason they wouldn’t take it again

Personally I think it's short-sighted if Sony was only leveraging those Square-Enix FF exclusives just to leverage them against Xbox. And I'm not necessarily sure those deals were done to counter MS buying Zenimax, because IIRC VII Remake was announced as a console exclusive for PS4 back at E3 2016. Microsoft weren't even near thinking of acquiring Zenimax at that time, in fact the window for it only presented itself within like 9 months of the deal happening. That's when they and Zenimax started talks IIRC.

Anyway, I feel if Square-Enix want to pursue this multiplatform strategy, that is fine. But SIE would be idiotic to pay for timed exclusivity going forward if so. What's the ultimate benefit to your console for a potential three-month exclusivity deal? Not much I feel, especially if would-be buyers know other versions are coming shortly thereafter. You'd be paying a premium for a depleting benefit.

Sony could definitely go for marketing deals with those FF games, certainly, but just like with SEGA/Atlus if multiplat is the direction Square-Enix want to go in, they should rely on their own funds to develop and optimize development of those games. Sony shouldn't foot the bill (IMO) without some sizable equivalent benefit and a short 3-month exclusivity window just doesn't cut it. Nor should they then expect PlayStation customers to be pressured to make up for a lopsided exclusivity deal and act as paypigs for the early timed exclusive launch, just so other platforms can get the game with better Day 1 optimization and (potentially) cheaper prices shortly thereafter.

Like, Sony/SIE already kind of do a form of this 'taking-for-granted' with console owners paying to access online for games like Helldivers 2, while PC/Steam users both get online for free and can get Helldivers 2 often a bit cheaper than PS5 owners can. I think that type of stuff erodes at long-term trust between SIE and their core console userbase but, hey, that's a conversation for another day.

It's time to march. Muh rightz!

200.gif

I've seen that meme posted before but it was about something else. Anyway, Twitter's ridiculous but funny as hell for extreme takes.

I think they also expect good luck with PC and Switch 2 sales too!

You’ve left out the fact that the game was put on GamePass day one, haven’t you? Not to mention this is a split for boxed charts only, and Xbox tends to skew digital at a higher % than other platforms.
Did you have to destroy him so thoroughly? Couldn't have left him with some shred of dignity? 😂

Guilty_AI

Alot of the times I got burned by those indies because they feel to much budget constraint to me. Even one of my favourite indie rpgs with chained echos.
Which is weird considering you can see the same budget constraints on AAA games too. In FFXVI they very clearly cut a lot of corners with side-quests, using stiff ps2 era animaton and non-existent direction. Using an even bigger example, GTA V very obviously cut its story and features in half. The whole iconical visual and game design you see in FromSoftware games had a lot of its roots in trying to save budget from cutscenes, set-pieces and dialogue. And people loved that "cheaper" design.

Did you have to destroy him so thoroughly? Couldn't have left him with some shred of dignity? 😂

Think O Ozriel forgot the part where P5 Royal fell off the Game Pass charts, and that even in strongholds like UK, Xbox digital is actually smaller than PlayStation digital in terms of digital game sales.

Also selling 90% digital out of 10,000 copies isn't doing much for lifting the average, if the other platform is doing 50% digital but with 100,000 copies. Percentages are relative.

They need to make better games. Capcom is king because they don't miss. Even DD2 with its flaws still probably made them money. Nier Automata was great but its been 7 years. Capcom would have put out two more games during that time span. DQ12 was great but that was 2018. Again, Capcom would've capitalized and had another 2 releases since then. SO2 remaster was good but theres been no news on an SO3 remaster. SE has IP they can leverage but for whatever reason they aren't doing it and its hurting them.

Ozriel

M$FT
It ranked #12 if that matters:

Also isn’t P5 gone from GamePass since October last year? Also didn’t they also remove P4G and P3 just earlier this year from GamePass.

The most charitable thing I can say about your argument is that it’s so so low effort.

You posted splits from week one boxed sales of Persona 5 Royal. How is it of any relevance that it was taken off GamePass after one year?

I dunno but using GamePass as a metric is difficult, that’s like yung PS+ as a sales metric.

Good thing nobody’s using it as a sales metric, eh?

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
why do they need major hits all the time. It wasn't the case in the snes/ps1/ps2 eras. They just made good games, many smaller budget titles. Here is what they made during the ps1 that was not final fantasy 7,8 and 9:

- Vagrant Story
- Parasite Eve 1 and 2
- Chronocross
- ChronoTrigger port
- Front Mission 3
- Chocobo Racing
- Legend of Mana
- Bushido Blade 1 and 2
- Brave Fencer musashi
- FFV&6 anthology
- FF Origins (ff1-2)
- Chocobo dungeon
- Threads of fate
- Einhander
- FF tactics
- Tobal #1
- EhrGiez
- Xenogears

Thats a ton of games.
That was billions of years ago acording to video game industry time.

They can't just make FF as their the one and only biggest IP. Where's proper Parasite Eve reboot I'm sure a lot of people want incl. myself? It's one of the best IPs they have. Where's modern take on Front Mission? Also one of their biggest IPs. It can't be just FF, man. They don't even have new and big AAA IPs, even a single one.
They sold all their western studios, they can't rely on them anymore. I mean, if you don't want anything else but FF, good for you, but they need to reboot Parasite Eve at least and to start with.

None of these were at the production levels of Final Fantasy 7, 8 or 9. What they did is make good games that were not as graphically intensive but had great rpg mechanics. They could do this again.
The problem is they need to adjust their expectations.
They're not making new Parasite Eve, Front Mission, Xenogears, Bushido Blade etc.

The kids and teens today don't play other games, outside of (fortnite, roblox, minecraft and valorant ) and games aren't being targeted to older millennials and gen x, people who love single player epic rpgs. So they need to target these groups with games, and bring down production costs/expectations.
This will get them nowhere and might turn them into Konami at some point.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Which is weird considering you can see the same budget constraints on AAA games too. In FFXVI they very clearly cut a lot of corners with side-quests, using stiff ps2 era animaton and non-existent direction. Using an even bigger example, GTA V very obviously cut its story and features in half. The whole iconical visual and game design you see in FromSoftware games had a lot of its roots in trying to save budget from cutscenes, set-pieces and dialogue. And people loved that "cheaper" design.

Maybe it's also just preference. I think a rpg shouldn't reuse so many environmental assets, games like octopath aint just big in length but they have loads of different unique areas and a big ost which is really important to me. I just looked it up there are 120 songs in the octopath 2 ost which is insane.

If you have similar experiences on any platform let me srsly know. I will wishlist everything xD. Playing eiyuden chronicles rn and iam almost done :p.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Square just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by aggressively pursuing a multiplatform strategy. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFXVII for either system, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and go back to random + nonsensical timed exclusivity deals or you can kiss your business goodbye.

leo-j

expecting, if allowed contractually for FF VII R to be ported to switch 2 tbh, their biggest loss has been going with PS in Japan especially vs the nintendo Switch, not to say they shouldn't, it def should have been made on the ps4/5 generation of hardware, but i guess they can recoup if they release the series on switch 2.

That was billions of years ago acording to video game industry time.

They can't just make FF as their the one and only biggest IP. Where's proper Parasite Eve reboot I'm sure a lot of people want incl. myself? It's one of the best IPs they have. Where's modern take on Front Mission? Also one of their biggest IPs. It can't be just FF, man. They don't even have new and big AAA IPs, even a single one.
They sold all their western studios, they can't rely on them anymore. I mean, if you don't want anything else but FF, good for you, but they need to reboot Parasite Eve at least and to start with.

They're not making new Parasite Eve, Front Mission, Xenogears, Bushido Blade etc.

This will get them nowhere and might turn them into Konami at some point.
They don't have the Parasite Eve IP anymore. Couldn't even negotiate getting the name for 3rd Birthday.

leo-j

Square is already multiplatform…
How was the FF15, Dragon quest and Kingdom Hearts sales last gen On PC and XBox?

And they have exclusives like Octopath and Triangle theory that arent on PS.
FF XV is the most successful FF game outside of Xiv and maybe VII which is on everything now in sales, partly due to it launching on PS/Xb and it's marketing. Tbh you have to also blame the lack luster qualify of their ip, Forspoken, FF origins, FF XV to a lesser extent, have all been meh compared to other big rpgs and that kinda makes people not want to buy FF games.

Not saying it’s bad but is it even worth it now to port to Xbox. Like at its current state and how things are going?

Like I’ll give you a perfect example: Persona 3/4/5 were being aggressively marketed for Xbox (and it’s also coming to the Switch) last year but where did majority of the sales end up? The hint is not Xbox (it’s the Switch).

Personal 5 Royal was the only version avialble on switch. It came to switch a year or so late. PS4/5 users already had Persona 5. I didn't rebuy the game for some extras. I did get it agian, on sale, for the switch. Those numbers make perfect sense knowing the context of what was avilable.

Last edited:

Neofire

By no means insignificant indication that the vast majority of publishers and Studios (AAA and indi games of all kinds) release their games on Xbox??
You do know we are talking about JRPGs right? Remind me of how the recent iteration of Xbox has been gold mine of moving software for SE on the titles that have made it to the platform......

Let's not act like MS hasn't been paying developers to port games either. The fact of the matter is certain games do not sell well on the Xbox platform. Developers are doing this very same thing to psvr2 and no one is putting the cape on for that.

Topher

Gold Member
Square is already multiplatform…
How was the FF15, Dragon quest and Kingdom Hearts sales last gen On PC and XBox?

And they have exclusives like Octopath and Triangle theory that arent on PS.

Sounds to me like they are going to get away from scattering exclusives here and there and just release games on all platforms at the same time. Makes sense.

Ozriel

M$FT
Anyway, I feel if Square-Enix want to pursue this multiplatform strategy, that is fine. But SIE would be idiotic to pay for timed exclusivity going forward if so. What's the ultimate benefit to your console for a potential three-month exclusivity deal? Not much I feel, especially if would-be buyers know other versions are coming shortly thereafter. You'd be paying a premium for a depleting benefit.

Sony could definitely go for marketing deals with those FF games, certainly, but just like with SEGA/Atlus if multiplat is the direction Square-Enix want to go in, they should rely on their own funds to develop and optimize development of those games. Sony shouldn't foot the bill (IMO) without some sizable equivalent benefit and a short 3-month exclusivity window just doesn't cut it. Nor should they then expect PlayStation customers to be pressured to make up for a lopsided exclusivity deal and act as paypigs for the early timed exclusive launch, just so other platforms can get the game with better Day 1 optimization and (potentially) cheaper prices shortly thereafter.

I don’t think you really understand how much the picture changes when the Switch 2 lands.

It’ll cost an arm and a leg to secure timed exclusivity for any major JRPG from here on…and it’s doubtful many publishers will be keen on that after seeing the outcome for Square Enix, plus the anticipated sales of Switch 2.

Hudo

I also don't want any game being held back because of the Switch and that's in addition to much longer development times because of multiple platforms. Which the FF7 rebirth project leader mentioned several times.
Then you should be all for multiplat.

nosoynadie22

Gold Member
The truth is that when your games cost 100 million dollars or more you should look for the greatest possible profit by releasing it on multiple platforms. They do not accept exclusivity agreements when you were a publisher and your IPs have already reached other platforms.

Good luck with that. As long as their portfolio continues to be of the nature that it is, it will never happen.
Ofcourse they will need to evolve their games to be more widely appealing.

If you look at something like Persona or Monster Hunter, you will see they are quite similar to originals, just minor tweaks that have made them far bigger franchises.

Similar improvements need to happen with Square Enix titles as well.

Fabieter

Ofcourse they will need to evolve their games to be more widely appealing.

If you look at something like Persona or Monster Hunter, you will see they are quite similar to originals, just minor tweaks that have made them far bigger franchises.

Similar improvements need to happen with Square Enix titles as well.

Persona just grew naturally with all of the new games and the expanded releases. And I wouldn't call thr changes in MH minor or would I call MH small even prior world.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Yeah they have been multiplatform for a long time but I think this argument is disingenuous. It’s almost random which platform (s) would get a game at launch, which ones would get it later, and which ones wouldn’t get it at all.

Presumably this means they’ll launch on PC, PlayStation, Xbox, and maybe Switch/Switch 2 all on day one. You know, like most of the other big 3rd party publishers do it.

Square Enix CEO, ca 2017: "

Square Enix will "aggressively pursue a multiplatform strategy that includes PlayStation, Xbox, and PCs"

Square Enix CEO after seeing Switch sales numbers, ca 2023: "

Square Enix will "aggressively pursue a multiplatform strategy that includes Nintendo platforms, PlayStation, Xbox, and PCs"

begotten

Their release schedule over the last few years has made no sense. They have been random with deals and their release strategy.

Octopath 1 and 2, Live A Live, FF Pixel Collection all over the place
Kingdom Hearts exclusive to Epic Game Store
These shitty mid-tier games to name a few like Valkyrie Elysium, Star Ocean Divine Force, DioField, Tactics Ogre etc all releasing right next to each other
3 farming games on Switch in 12 months
Crisis Core everywhere but not Ever Crisis?
Live-Service games like Marvel Avengers, Babylons Fall and Foamstars.
Why was Chrono Cross shit?

Top Bottom