• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell Blacklist reviews

This sounds surprisingly decent, might check it out.
Also can everyone please stop freaking out over the one review that deviates from the rest.

MAX PAYMENT

Splinter Cell was a title that mainly concentrated on pure stealth and little gunplay , MGS was always up to you how to play it
I've got to disagree here. MGS has almost alway been a get seen-you're fucked kind of game in almost all difficulties. If you get lucky enough to escape you could continue, but no way can you take the action approach that 4 allows for.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I've got to disagree here. MGS has almost alway been a get seen-you're fucked kind of game in almost all difficulties. If you get lucky enough to escape you could continue, but no way can you take the action approach that 4 allows for.

What? No lol

That was somewhat true in the original but in both Sons of Liberty and Snake Eater especially you can easily fight your way out. I think most people were just bad the controls and didn't understand how aiming worked.

Effect

I need customer impressions of the game before buying, especially the Wii U version. The game was never a must buy for me but simply one I was interested in. I need to know if $60 is going to be worth or if it will be better to wait until it goes on sale. I also want to wait a little bit to see how it sells just in case the price bottoms out a few weeks after release do to people not being interested in it. If I'm likely to wait the single player becomes even more important for the Wii U version where the online community is likely to be even small then the other platforms simply due to install base at the moment and could be dead sooner.

Found the Eurogamer review to be the most helpful, as usual.
Some bits from that review - each one its own special kick to the nuts:
Eurogamer said:
You can't slip round corners easily or take cover on stairs, and when there are several contextual actions too close together you can easily choose the wrong one, leading you to hop over a fence when you meant to scale a pipe.

Switching between goggle vision modes is a bit clunky on console - you have to hold a direction on the d-pad, rightstick-select goggles and hit a button. Wuh?

Like Hitman Absolution last year, the campaign feels like a fun game bogged down by its desire to look like a stylish action thriller
Welp.

Looks like there's a solid game in there, underneath a shitty cinematic-driven, set-piece action-story one.

I enjoyed Conviction and the latest Future Soldier though, and even with these complaints it looks like the series is being drawn closer to stealth than it has been in a while. I'm still in.

Sojgat

In the story campaign, there's one single mission where you alternate yourself playing as Sam and Briggs. As Sam you play third person, Briggs is FPS. But you still can play stealthly surprising enemies from the back and stunning them. Totally, the FPS missions will be something like 5-10 minutes of gameplay. There's the SvM multiplayer then, where you can play FPS as a Merc.

Sounds like pointless, immersion breaking crap. The last thing I want to do in a stealth game is constantly be switching between playable characters. Terrible design like that belongs in COD campaigns, not Splinter Cell.

MAX PAYMENT

What? No lol

That was somewhat true in the original but in both Sons of Liberty and Snake Eater especially you can easily fight your way out. I think most people were just bad the controls and didn't understand how aiming worked.
I play through the mgs series once a year. They are not conducive to the action approach.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I play through the mgs series once a year. They are not conducive to the action approach.

On Extreme, no. On the rest, you can blow through entire areas so fast that you will leave before the investigation squads come about. Have you used the shotgun in Snake Eater? And your pistol is like a sniper in that game, it lines up with the dog ears perfectly and has no arc. Headshots without even trying.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Any review comment on the "Professional" difficulty setting? I really would love to experience a wonderful stealth game, but I find it difficult to trust any outlets on the validity of play-testing that difficulty or style of play for a review.

GAF OT. The only source that usually matters.

Valravn

People put way too much stock into reviews and being told what is good or bad, without having an opinion of their own. You can't diss the Edge review until you've played it yourself. Then you know which review is closer to your own opinions. What happens if you get the game on the basis of 9 review scores but think its shit and closer to 6 afterall?

Aint this the truth? Hear hear.

Is there an explanation anywhere of all the extra modes? I'm hoping for one like in Deniable Ops in the last game, where you're moving through the levels, but maybe you don't have to kill every dude along the way.

I think it's time to take the Splinter Cell IP out back and put a bullet in it. The franchise's best days are long gone in terms of quality and popularity. More and more people are bored and tired of SC.

Ridley327

So the Wii U's vsync'd at the cost of a smooth framerate?

Typically speaking, I think Wii U multiplats tend to employ v-sync where there isn't any in other versions of the same game. Some have speculated it's to keep GamePad synching uniform, but then there's screen tearing nightmares like Darksiders 2 that suggest otherwise.

WOW at the Rev3 Games review seriously that is one awesome review informative and fun to watch.
Everyone should watch that one it made up my mind to get the game.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Personally, I'll play after I finish Pikmin 3 on Wii U.

Talk about a disconnect in genre and style, but I always did like to mix it up :)

Sounds like pointless, immersion breaking crap. The last thing I want to do in a stealth game is constantly be switching between playable characters. Terrible design like that belongs in COD campaigns, not Splinter Cell.
"constantly" as doing it two times, in one single mission, for about 5 minutes per time. Yeah.

MAX PAYMENT

On Extreme, no. On the rest, you can blow through entire areas so fast that you will leave before the investigation squads come about. Have you used the shotgun in Snake Eater? And your pistol is like a sniper in that game, it lines up with the dog ears perfectly and has no arc. Headshots without even trying.
I've actually never used the shotgun, but I can't imagine tryin to pull off head shots in alert mode.

Ein Bear

I think it's time to take the Splinter Cell IP out back and put a bullet in it. The franchise's best days are long gone in terms of quality and popularity. More and more people are bored and tired of SC.

IGN 9.2/10
Eurogamer 8/10
OXM UK 8/10
Polygon 8.5
OPM UK 8/10
Jostiq 5/5
GameInformer 9/10
Gamespot 8.0/10
REV3GAMES 4/5
TSA 8/10
Venture Beat 84/100
GameTrailers 8.7/10
Jeuxvideomagazine (FR) 17/20
Gamereactor UK 9/10

I can understand being disappointed by the Edge review, but seriously. It's one negative review in a sea of positive ones.

Riky

$MSFT
Not that bothered about cut scenes, any idea from anyone about the actual in game performance across the consoles?

jmizzal

I can understand being disappointed by the Edge review, but seriously. It's one negative review in a sea of positive ones.

People always pick out the one negative review and make like its the only one to go by, which is something I never understood.

But I never buy games day 1 based on reviews, if I see a game I think I will like I get it, if not I will get it later if it has good reviews.

Is there an explanation anywhere of all the extra modes? I'm hoping for one like in Deniable Ops in the last game, where you're moving through the levels, but maybe you don't have to kill every dude along the way.
Here's the answer I got from Sober when I asked the other day:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=75710463&postcount=353

Hunter/terrorist hunt still exists in the form of panther coop (soloable) maps as they seem to be in Conviction. Infiltration though it's less "hunter with a twist" and more focused on objectives and exploration.

From what I have seem it looks like panther/hunter style maps retain the Conviction style of "clear small sandbox area, move to next one" while ghost/infiltration maps are one large sandbox area (think something like the Bank mission in Chaos Theory) that seems to have nonlinear objectives.

Assault maps seem to be horde mode-ish where you have to defend a something against waves of enemies but you can use stealth.
Haven't seen any new or fleshed out info.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
People always pick out the one negative review and make like its the only one to go by, which is something I never understood.

But I never buy games day 1 based on reviews, if I see a game I think I will like I get it, if not I will get it later if it has good reviews.

Out of that list of publications, Edge are about the only one I'd pay any serious attention to. They don't always get it right, of course, but I've found that they are generally reputable, fair, and at least try to make their scoring meaningful.

The only SC I haven't got on with is DA (...and PA's single player), so I'll certainly be trying this out when it gets a bit cheaper (I have PD2, GTAV and a new daughter to pay for over the coming months) and find out if they were right.

Edge said:
Where Chaos Theory had you sneak through darkened spaces populated by two or three thugs, Blacklist has you sneaking in broad daylight past six, seven, or – in Kobin’s terrorist hunts – up to 20 heavily armed soldiers.

Can someone explain this? Is there no light meter anymore? You don't have to sneak in shadow?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I am still waiting for a Wii U review. Come on, there are tens of Nintendo dedicated sites. No one, really ?

There's still a light meter and there's a mix of darkness/shadow stealth, and broad daylight line-of-sight stealth.
So they've phrased it in a negative way even though nothing has changed? (If there was a brightly-lit area in Chaos Theory you could also sneak past enemies with line-of-sight stealth)

Does the game punish you for making a mistake while playing stealth?

You don't particularly switch on the fly. You can, if you're playing on one of the more shooty modes, but Ghost and Perfectionist have less room for error, as you can die pretty fast.

Top Bottom