• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man vs Batman

In your opinion, who is the best? Who is your favorite?

• Spider-Man

• Batman

• I don't like Spider-Man or Batman

Results are only viewable after voting.
I thought this would be a fun little voting poll to host on NeoGAF though I am genuinely interested to know which immensely popular superhero people like more? Spidey or Bats?

Personally, I've always liked Spider-Man more as well as the character of Peter Parker. Especially in the comics, I remember reading an issue of The Amazing Spider-Man (towards the end of J. Michael Straczynski's run in the 2000s) where Aunt May is clinging onto life after taking a bullet and he goes so far as to make a deal with Mephisto to save her. I thought it was a great example of a well-written flawed character because a lot of people I think only know Peter Parker as this nerdy, shy character but that's only him as a teenager. But I not only read The Amazing Spider-Man but Ultimate Spider-Man as well and even some of The Superior Spider-Man although that wasn't really Spider-Man and clearly not Peter Parker.

Then of course you have the games: Spider-Man on PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4. It's like the gift that keeps on giving. Some games are better than others but at the end of the day it's Spider-Man and there's always some fun to be had. I think it also helps that I've always liked New York City as a location to explore ever since playing Grand Theft Auto III on the PS2.

Spider-Man movies? I'm of the opinion that Tom Holland plays the best Peter Parker/Spider-Man. And yes, I have gone back and rewatched the Sam Raimi trilogy but when Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst and Sam Raimi were giving their commentary on Spider-Man 3 saying stuff like, "Spider-Man is really about the love interest between Peter Parker and MJ", it cemented my opinion that his movies were overrated. Not that they didn't have good moments but I don't feel like they're one of the best superhero movies ever.

Batman is cool. Don't get me wrong, the comics and movies are enjoyable as well as the games. They're good for different reasons. You know Peter Parker and Bruce Wayne are different people - Batman isn't even a real superhero in the traditional sense. The appeal comes more from his detective skills and peak physical condition and the immense balls it must take to stand up to Superman or Darkseid. That said, he's a little too cool for my liking.

Anyways, which character do you like more?

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
Batman for when the nights are long and I'm brooding in my cave.
Spider-Man for when I'm high as fuck hittin some MJ.

I chose Spider-Man but there's nothing in it other than that I'm currently high.

Last edited:
Ive always maintained that Batman is my favorite comic book character, with Spidey in second place.
I think their rogue galleries are what tip the scales towards Batman for me. Spideys got some awesome villains for sure, but the sheer number of quality and well-established Batman villains is unmatched IMO.

mcjmetroid

Batman by a country mile. I'm no expert on comic books but Batman as a franchise is a lot more iconic. Spiderman has had some resurgence of late but Batman and his villians are way more known I feel.

Batman is a more interesting character as well in my opinion. I enjoy Spiderman movies but they're at their best when they're not to be taking completely seriously.

When Spiderman has a movie on the level of the Dark Knight Trilogy we'll talk.

Plus Batman the animated series. Need I say more?

Elcid

Banned
I prefer Spider-Man as a hero and Batman wouldn't be able to keep up. Spider-Man is almost as strong as the Hulk but works to repress his strength. He's also super fucking fast, smart, and has his spider sense. The only area Batman would beat him are his finances!

Spiderman is so damn nice... give me a break. Batman all night long.

how-peter-parker-killed-the-kingpin-1.jpg

how-peter-parker-killed-the-kingpin-2.jpg

how-peter-parker-killed-the-kingpin-3.jpg

Nymphae

Banned
I'd rather have Spider-man's powers, I like his more humorous nature and prefer him as a character in general to the more brooding and depressed dark knight.

TacosNSalsa

Spider-Man . And it's pretty close . I just find Batman OP . He's supposed to be a "regular" (I.E. not superhuman) human ..but he's anything but . The World Forger actually called him the greatest strategic mind in the multiverse . Like jeez.....

This was a great arc. The One Above All ,a character that maybe appeared like 3-4 times before , actually appears to Peter when he was ready to quit being Spider-man. Even bought him lunch. He showed the THOUSANDS of people he helped , either directly or indirectly , by being Spider-man .

Last edited:
I prefer Spider-man, though I've been exposed to him much more than Batman, so that may be the main reason. I don't really like Batman's alter-ego. It's hard to relate to some super rich guy that lives in a castle with a butler and buys expensive gadgets to deal with crazy criminals. Peter Parker seems like more of a normal guy and the dynamics between that and his amazing powers is much more interesting. The web-slinging power is much more imaginative and allows for fun combat and mobility.

Spider-Man . And it's pretty close . I just find Batman OP . He's supposed to be a "regular" (I.E. not superhuman) human ..but he's anything but . The World Forger actually called him the greatest strategic mind in the multiverse . Like jeez.....

This was a great arc. The One Above All ,a character that maybe appeared like 3-4 times before , actually appears to Peter when he was ready to quit being Spider-man. Even bought him lunch. He showed the THOUSANDS of people he helped , either directly or indirectly , by being Spider-man .
Was it really One-Above-All and not Mephisto? I've only followed the many arcs written by JMS through The Amazing Spider-Man but I remember there was a moment when Peter Parker is walking and talking through the different versions of himself, like as a rich old man in a limousine or a fat, depressed version. I think he also revisited a lot of defining moments in his time as Spider-Man.

The Spider Totem was another favorite arc of mine when he met Ezekiel.

Last edited:

TacosNSalsa

Was it really One-Above-All and not Mephisto? I've only followed the many arcs written by JMS through The Amazing Spider-Man but I remember there was a moment when Peter Parker is walking and talking through the different versions of himself, like as a rich old man in a limousine or a fat, depressed version. I think he also revisited a lot of defining moments in his time as Spider-Man.

The Spider Totem was another favorite arc of mine when he met Ezekiel.
Yea it was him . Appeared to him as a homeless man as he was punching a wall mangling his hands because Aunt May was on the brink of death because Kingpin put a hit out on him but May got caught up. When he sees him and talks to him a bit he knows who he is .

RVerhDR.jpg

Funny you should mention Mephisto , he said that Peter is the only soul that he would not take because he would willingly replace someone in hell to save them from torture and he will not (or maybe cannot?) torture a soul that is willingly taking it

This kinda has lead me to believe that Spider-man is something more important to the Marvel multiverse than just a superhero ...

Last edited:

CeroFrio996

Banned
I've never really read as much of the comics as I would've liked, but I've always loved both Spiderman and the villains of the Spiderman universe.

sol_bad

I honestly cant choose between the two, they are both amazing characters. Love them both.
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

kunonabi

Classic 616 Spider-Man for me. I cant stand any of the other versions aside from Ben. As for live action portrayals I only like Garfield's since him and his first movie is the closest we have gotten to comic book Peter on the big screen. I'm more of a casual Batman fan, mostly the Burton films and the animated series.

I love both characters, but if forced to choose, it'd be Bats. Mainly because as someone that finds it difficult to plan stuff out in advance, the fact that Bats seemingly has a contingency plan for EVERYTHING is impressive. I don't care what resources you have, it's a sense of duty and a twisted desire to protect people that I can sympathize with.

Belmonte

My two favorite super heroes. Hard to choose but I think I will go with Spider-Man since Batman is getting annoying nowadays.

Batman is a great character, and not only that, IMO he has the greatest villains of all super heroes but it is lame how frequent he is depict as an all powerful force, capable of defeat anyone with prep time. Some writers seem to think Bruce is some kind of Mary Sue.

Top Bottom