• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man |OT| web's outta stock y'all

MastAndo

there's criminals and sable mercs everywhere who can spot you a mile away that start shooting at you
Yeah, I've already experienced that -
I just beat Vulture and Electro in Act 3
. I'm basically just going to my destination as fast I can. Traversing the world felt leisurely in the first two acts, which I sort of miss, but I get why it's happening.

JimiNutz

Banned
I finally picked this up and am pleased to say that, so far, the game has completely lived up to my expectations.

Even though I'm so late to playing the game this was actually my most anticipated game for a very long time and my plan was always to buy the game at launch along with a PS4 Pro and a new 4K TV. Unfortunately when the game launched I ended up having a lot of shit going on in my life and I simply didnā€™t have time to play it or the spare cash to afford a Pro and a new TV.

This is the now the first game that I've run on both my new Pro and the new 4K TV and I'm absolutely blown away by how good the game looks. I'd been playing on an old 1080p set on base PS4 for way too long now and had no idea that modern gaming was actually supposed to look like this. It's truly stunning and New York look absolutely beautiful and seems filled with detail and life.

When the game was originally revealed I was primarily interested in one thing only, webslinging. Spider-Man is easily one of my favourite comic book characters, if not my outright favourite, but the main reason I'm such a huge fan is due to his webslinging abilities. As far as powers go, I think it's the coolest mode of transportation possible. To have the ability to swing through NY or any major city like that is a dream for me and I'd take that over the ability to fly any day. So for me the main thing I wanted from the game above everything else was some fantastic webslinging mechanics and I'm so happy that the game appears to have completely nailed this aspect.

I've only played the game for a few hours now but, outside of a few very early main missions, I have so far spent the entirety of my time webslinging around New York, unlocking towers, collecting backpacks, taking pictures of landmarks and stopping crimes so that I can unlock further webslinging skills. The mechanics are so easy to pick up and play yet I'm really pleased that they added many additional skill unlocks to further refine your abilities to the point where you are effortlessly swinging through New York like a pro. I'm not sure if the novelty will eventually wear off but right now I'm having a great time just webslinging and stopping crimes to the point that I've barely touched the main storyline.

Early impressions of the combat are much the same as webslinging, it's very easy to pick up and play but unlocking new skills and abilities/gadgets adds a lot to the combat to the point where you can pull off such incredible looking battles and moves. My girlfriend has commented that she is happy to just sit back and watch me swinging around and getting into fights because everything just looks so cinematic. I'd easily agree that this game has so far done a much better job at representing Spider-Man and his powers on screen than any movie since the original two Raimi films. I enjoyed Homecoming for sure but I think the director could do with sitting down and watching or playing this game for himself so that he can work in some of the exhilarating ways that this game presents Spider-Man webslinging and fighting for any future Spider-Man movies.

These are only my very early impressions and I do intend to sink my teeth into the actual story missions/bosses etc over the next few days but so far this is the best playing games that I've experienced in a long time. Insomniac do such a great job of making games that are easy to pick up and play, while slowly introducing new powers, abilities and weapons without overwhelming the player. I have no idea whether the main storyline will live up to the basic mechanics but in terms of gameplay feel and pure enjoyment this game is truly spectacular.

Humdinger

Thanks for the impressions, NutJobJim. I still need to get this game eventually. Good to hear that the combat is easy to pick up and play. When I see videos, I always think to myself that it looks very complex and probably difficult to master.

JimiNutz

Banned
Thanks for the impressions, NutJobJim. I still need to get this game eventually. Good to hear that the combat is easy to pick up and play. When I see videos, I always think to myself that it looks very complex and probably difficult to master.

Between the various abilities that you can unlock, gadgets and different webbing that you can use, suit powers and interactive objects in the environment that you can use, there is def quite a bit to the combat but I think Insomniac does a really good job of introducing the player to everything at a pace that never feels overwhelming.

I'm very early into the game but at the moment the combat has really clicked with me and it didn't take long before I was webbing up villains, bouncing off walls, launching enemies into the air and landing impressive looking combos. It's a lot of fun and very accessible in my opinion while still retaining a decent level of depth.

I finally picked this up and am pleased to say that, so far, the game has completely lived up to my expectations.

Even though I'm so late to playing the game this was actually my most anticipated game for a very long time and my plan was always to buy the game at launch along with a PS4 Pro and a new 4K TV. Unfortunately when the game launched I ended up having a lot of shit going on in my life and I simply didnā€™t have time to play it or the spare cash to afford a Pro and a new TV.

This is the now the first game that I've run on both my new Pro and the new 4K TV and I'm absolutely blown away by how good the game looks. I'd been playing on an old 1080p set on base PS4 for way too long now and had no idea that modern gaming was actually supposed to look like this. It's truly stunning and New York look absolutely beautiful and seems filled with detail and life.

When the game was originally revealed I was primarily interested in one thing only, webslinging. Spider-Man is easily one of my favourite comic book characters, if not my outright favourite, but the main reason I'm such a huge fan is due to his webslinging abilities. As far as powers go, I think it's the coolest mode of transportation possible. To have the ability to swing through NY or any major city like that is a dream for me and I'd take that over the ability to fly any day. So for me the main thing I wanted from the game above everything else was some fantastic webslinging mechanics and I'm so happy that the game appears to have completely nailed this aspect.

I've only played the game for a few hours now but, outside of a few very early main missions, I have so far spent the entirety of my time webslinging around New York, unlocking towers, collecting backpacks, taking pictures of landmarks and stopping crimes so that I can unlock further webslinging skills. The mechanics are so easy to pick up and play yet I'm really pleased that they added many additional skill unlocks to further refine your abilities to the point where you are effortlessly swinging through New York like a pro. I'm not sure if the novelty will eventually wear off but right now I'm having a great time just webslinging and stopping crimes to the point that I've barely touched the main storyline.

Early impressions of the combat are much the same as webslinging, it's very easy to pick up and play but unlocking new skills and abilities/gadgets adds a lot to the combat to the point where you can pull off such incredible looking battles and moves. My girlfriend has commented that she is happy to just sit back and watch me swinging around and getting into fights because everything just looks so cinematic. I'd easily agree that this game has so far done a much better job at representing Spider-Man and his powers on screen than any movie since the original two Raimi films. I enjoyed Homecoming for sure but I think the director could do with sitting down and watching or playing this game for himself so that he can work in some of the exhilarating ways that this game presents Spider-Man webslinging and fighting for any future Spider-Man movies.

These are only my very early impressions and I do intend to sink my teeth into the actual story missions/bosses etc over the next few days but so far this is the best playing games that I've experienced in a long time. Insomniac do such a great job of making games that are easy to pick up and play, while slowly introducing new powers, abilities and weapons without overwhelming the player. I have no idea whether the main storyline will live up to the basic mechanics but in terms of gameplay feel and pure enjoyment this game is truly spectacular.

Great post.

I wish I could play this game for the first time all over again. My first plat trophy and was smiling the entire time, except for a couple of the stealth segments

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I spent my gaming time the past few days playing through the DLC for this that I'd finally got around to buying when it was on sale for Days of Play.

It was a mixed bag for me. I thought I was just rusty as it seemed way harder than the basegame from what I remembered, but looking at Reddit etc. that seems to be a common comment. That's ok, I just dropped difficulty and had fun. The Screwball challenges were pretty awful and annoying, especially the final mission. That was janky as shit and took several tries and I feel like the time I finally did it I got lucky rather than getting better at it.

The main story stuff was fine though. Nothing seminal or on par with the main story, but solid enough and glad I played it. Looking forward to a sequel next gen and hope we get to play as Peter and Miles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mista

Banned
I spent my gaming time the past few days playing through the DLC for this that I'd finally got around to buying when it was on sale for Days of Play.

It was a mixed bag for me. I thought I was just rusty as it seemed way harder than the basegame from what I remembered, but looking at Reddit etc. that seems to be a common comment. That's ok, I just dropped difficulty and had fun. The Screwball challenges were pretty awful and annoying, especially the final mission. That was janky as shit and took several tries and I feel like the time I finally did it I got lucky rather than getting better at it.

The main story stuff was fine though. Nothing seminal or on par with the main story, but solid enough and glad I played it. Looking forward to a sequel next gen and hope we get to play as Peter and Miles.
I have the DLC downloaded and ready but every since I got the platinum in the game I never came back. Gotta play them some time

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Am I the only one thats kinda disappointed this was Bullshit
6sRE.gif

Humdinger

Just started the game. I'm level 6 at this point. Been spending a lot of time unlocking towers, getting the hang of swinging and combat, retrieving backpacks, dealing with street crimes.

I'm enjoying it so far. It took me a while to get around to playing it, because I'm not much of a superhero guy, and I don't like NYC much. But after a couple false starts, I'm into it. It's sort of like with Days Gone, I had to get myself into the game a few hours before I started to like it.

Last edited:

iNvid02

I've been trying to finish this recently and it's really cool mindless fun, but the MJ sections are lame, I'm sure they could have done some Peter Parker sneaking around if pacing were a concern, but it just feels like a way to shoehorn their butterface MJ more frequently into the game

HotPocket69

Banned
I've been trying to finish this recently and it's really cool mindless fun, but the MJ sections are lame, I'm sure they could have done some Peter Parker sneaking around if pacing were a concern, but it just feels like a way to shoehorn their butterface MJ more frequently into the game

Thankfully there arenā€™t many of them

rofif

Canā€™t Git Gud
Bump.
I will get miles morales but I am wondering is it worth upgrading to remaster or better get PS4 bc version of original?
Is Peter new face as bad as it seems in the comparisons? Otherwise all remaster changes seem great.

I somehow totally never played these games. I am watching Sam raimi movies and remember how I enjoyed this spider man. I loved these on release as 13yo and honestly the 2000 movies in 4k hdr are great and hold up.
Maybe I will like the games.

Btw are amazing movies trash? I like Andrew Garfield I guess.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

Bump.
I will get miles morales but I am wondering is it worth upgrading to remaster or better get PS4 bc version of original?
Is Peter new face as bad as it seems in the comparisons? Otherwise all remaster changes seem great.

I somehow totally never played these games. I am watching Sam raimi movies and remember how I enjoyed this spider man. I loved these on release as 13yo and honestly the 2000 movies in 4k hdr are great and hold up.
Maybe I will like the games.

Btw are amazing movies trash? I like Andrew Garfield I guess.
I haven't played the remaster but I don't think the new face will bother you if this is your first time playing it. Miles Morales game uses the new face too. Also I think you need to own Miles Morales to be able to buy the remastered version of the first game. I can't seem to find it on PS Store. They also sell Ultmate Edition that has both.

Last edited:

Kerotan

Spiderman in 60fps and Ray tracing is definitely worth the upgrade on ps5. I'd recommend the miles morales bundle where you get both.

ParaSeoul

Spiderman in 60fps and Ray tracing is definitely worth the upgrade on ps5. I'd recommend the miles morales bundle where you get both.
Picked up just the standard Miles Morales game,first game burnt me out,100% the base game and the first two DLCs. DLCs have borderline broken enemies.

Trilobit

Had some thoughts about this game that don't merit a new thread:

I loooved using the Noir Suit in the game. Absolutely my top favourite.

JNmQHNq.png

I used it in all stealthy missions and during night time. It's so gorgeous and feels like Spidey while still being stealth, unlike the Stealth Suit, which frankly didn't feel very Spiderish. The suit also made me long for a Noir game focused even more heavily on stealth, set in the past with that lovely murky Great Depression atmosphere. It should take more inspiration from Splinter Cell and Arkham Asylum. Next winter I'll get a nice warm grey sweater that looks like the above image.

---

I was astounded by how incredibly good the Vintage Suit looked in motion.

Spider_VintageSuit.jpg

Juxtaposed to the realistic style of the game made for some very cool scenes. But it made me yearn for a game like the classic Ultimate Spider-Man that was completely cel-shaded. It would be mind-blowing with today's technology. Also the game could be similarly smaller and more focused unlike the massive Insomniac version. Perhaps with a high school Peter and parts where you visit Queens.

---

The likelihood of either dream game being developed is near zero, but I'd settle for a Spider-Verse game where one third is Noir, one is Ultimate and one is something else, maybe Spider-Gwen. Eventually their worlds would crash into each other and so forth.

VulcanRaven

I always use the default suit when playing for the first time. I plan to use the Maguire when replaying it at some point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom