• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spec Ops: The Line dev teases next gen project; suggests it's not a military shooter

I enjoyed Spec Ops quite a bit. Really interested to see what these guys have cooked up.

Spec Ops: The Line developer Yager has teased that its next game will not be a shooter. Speaking with Edge, managing director Timo Ullmann said the developer hopes to avoid being billed as an outfit that only makes military shooters, so it is turning its attention to "something different."

"After five years of working on Spec Ops, maybe it's time to do something different so you don’t get trapped in that box where we're just making military shooters," Ullmann said. “We still have to be commercial--we learned that the hard way--but by being independent we can live creatively and never be labelled or framed as being about a certain thing."

Ullmann pointed to games like Dishonored and Dragon's Dogma as those that prove consumers are interested in new ideas. On top of this, he said due to the rise of emerging platforms and business models, the time is right to launch a new franchise.

"We've never had more platforms and more business models, so it's a good time for new IP," Ullmann said. "After a seven-year console lifecycle, people are longing for something new--gamers and publishers, actually--and that suits us fine."

http://www.gamespot.com/news/spec-ops-the-line-dev-teases-next-project-6407492

Only mildly interested. Spec Ops was mostly fun because of the writing. With the writers doing something else I don't have a whole lot of trust.

Guevara

The examples are interesting; I'd love to see a sendoff of Dishonored/Bioshock/alternative grim dark timeline protocol. Or something about swords and sorcery like DD.

Both would be ripe for introspection.

antitrop

They've got my attention.

please be a mech flight "simulator" like yager

This would be fine, too. Or a reboot of this...

cJxZCSi.jpg

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Weird, I swear I heard it was a F2P shooter. Did that change?

It not being a military shooter doesn't preclude it from being a shooter necessarily.

After recently finishing and very much enjoying Spec Ops, I'm very interested to see what these guys do next (military shooter or not).

luffeN

And they will use UE4 with it going by a past press release.

CARY, N.C. and BERLIN (March 14, 2013) – Epic Games, Inc. has licensed Unreal Engine 4 to YAGER, making the “Spec Ops: The Line” creator the first independent studio in Europe to license the technology. Under the agreement, the Berlin-based developer will utilize Epic’s groundbreaking tools to craft a major next-generation title to be unveiled in the coming months.

Looking forward to it. I think a different genre will see much greater success for them, Spec Ops was a great game lost in a sea of "meh another muddy colored generic shooter" comments before word of mouth got around.

If the writing team is the same than the Spec Ops: The Line one then I'm very interested, regardless of the genre of said project.

pargonta

Not a shooter!? What else is there?

everything, something new.

what has come before in video games, including genres and ideologies, is not necessarily what games will be in the future. perhaps we have not truly seen what video games are yet.

love spec ops, can't wait to see what they're up to (including a shooter)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
i bet it'll still be a shooter.

I think they're working on an FPS using UE4.

I just hope the comment about them "learning the hard way" about being commercial doesn't mean that they're not going to still take risks with the narrative.

ezekial45

Banned
FYI, the writers for Spec Ops and some designers left Yager. Not to belittle this announcement, but I just don't want people to get their hopes up for something like their previous title.

On top of this, he said due to the rise of emerging platforms and business models, the time is right to launch a new franchise.

So it is a franchise then ?!

I am interested to see what they are up to, I wonder where will they go, I wonder if it is anytime soon.

bhlaab

It's a racing game and then halfway through they show you how many people had to DIE for that oil you use for leisure

Raoh

They've earned my interest, I'll be looking forward to their presentation.

Long before I played spec ops, based on reviews and friends, I had hopes they would be brought in to reboot socom. :(

wildfire

Banned
Cautiously excited. Might buy day 1. Need to hear more.

[edit]
FYI, the writers for Spec Ops and some designers left Yager. Not to belittle this announcement, but I just don't want people to get their hopes up for something like their previous title.

Ugh

Top Bottom