• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Knights: Kickstarter Mobile RPG, former NIS dev, $80k goal, PC@$250k PSV/4@$500k

Takao

Banned

Kickstarter Page

Hello everyone, and thank you for your interest in our full-fledged, multi-platform RPG, “Soul Knights”.

Most games are now shifting from the console market to the mobile market. For this project we have applied our knowledge and experience gained from game production on consoles to revive the old school JRPG on these new platforms to create a simple, yet immersive game.

Our team consist of elite staffs with vast experience in the console game industry including PS3 and NDS, thus we believe we could provide a game with extremely high quality on multiple platforms.
7d318ad34eab8edb963fff28335c4e93_large.png

f280249ebaade58b86141d8496873464_large.png

Units are arranged on a 4 column x 3 row grid of cells.
1a2244a063994ccac00c5e3aa034e1b1_large.png

The game employs a turn-based battle system, with automatic actions taken by each unit.

During each turn, the player can choose to change formation and relocate units as needed with just a tap.
e9f46768cfb40a3e2dbc26e5951ff2d2_large.png

Placing the units in either the front, middle or back rows will make the units take different actions according to their position.

The basic rule is

Front Row: Short range units will attack and receive attacks from the enemy.
Middle Row: Long range units will attack. Units capable of healing will heal the party.
Last row: Non-attacking row. Only healing is allowed.

Some units have unique supporting actions, so strategic formation planning will play an important part in winning the game.
2467b20203fb56028321b2ccf0d95e33_large.png

Battle formation is integral to game strategy, but unique characters also add another important element. Characters with unique abilities such as those who are specialized for attacking or healing will need to be strategically positioned to use their powers to their maximum and to gain a bigger advantage during the battle.
4a7a4469701836dc36d61ebc216f40f9_large.png

95670883fdaa1b1de79632d2973f61e5_large.png

b7de25a00043a3dcba844d65291bbfdf_large.png

075b3ff3eed3ed2a7418f83ddf3a93e6_large.png

8f5a523ceb0cc1cb415ab68fceee3f48_large.jpg

19f7c1ea9a21e43e8de04f795a54d1cb_large.png

c1748ab5f55641ac57cda27b864ed042_large.png

b4da1b30bfa283c727819024ba93f29e_large.png

This game is developed by Plantago Games.

Now, we will introduce members who are involved in this project. This is just a few of them, and there are more, each with strong competence in game production.

Toshihiko Kojima - Director, Art Director

As a game development manager at Nippon Ichi Sofware Inc., Toshihiko has been developing console games for nearly 10 years. His work includes “Disgaea: Hour of Darkness 4, and can lay claim to working on more than 10 huge sellers on the PS2, PS3 and Nintendo DS, many of which have received prestigious awards.

Below is the list of games with award achievements which he was involved in its production.

Famitsu Silver Award

Hayarigami: Keishichou Kaii Jiken File
Makai Kingdom
Soul Nomad & the World Eaters

Famitsu Gold Award

Disgaea: Hour of Darkness Phantom Brave
Disgaea 2: Dark Hero Days
Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice
Z.H.P. Unlosing Ranger VS Darkdeath Evilman
Disgaea 2: Dark Hero Days for PSP
Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten
The Guided Fate Paradox

Involved in concept design, designer management and quality control, Toshihiko has had a long career as a technical designer.

Building on his technical knowledge, he has helped influence overall game design, managing game production from start to finish.

For this project, Toshiyuki will take up direction of the art team to help make the fun factor pop off the screen.

Hayato Kose - Technical Director

Hayato has worked in research and development as a 3D rendering programmer at Square Enix for almost 6 years. He played a big part in the development of Final Fantasy 13 and 14.

Hayato relocated to Canada where he set up his own software development company, employing local software engineers. There he was the technical director in charge of mobile app development and production.

Possessing a wide range of knowledge and experience in the game programming industry, Hayato has pioneered the research and implementation of high-end 3D computer graphic techniques. He has also designed mobile device game engines from bottom up and went on to develop apps on those platforms.

He is in charge of the general programming for this project.

Teruhiko Imaizumi - Illustrator

67a30aa66fa284b522dd7c3c6d22cf7a_large.jpg

Teruhiko’s major work has been character design for“Z.H.P. Unlosing Ranger VS Darkdeath Evilman” and “Jigsaw World: Daigekitou! Jig-Battle Heroes”.

For this project, he will be helping with character design.

Yusuke Matsuda - Illustrator
86d26326f93b7f01e7c10cb9ab34c7fb_large.jpg

He designs characters and monsters for numerous works such as “Summon Night series” and “Foto Showdown”.

For this project, he will be helping with character design.

Noizi Ito - Illustrator
d2a753f40fdd568281f512a978ad71cc_large.jpg

Noizi designs characters and images for numerous games, anime and books and is famously known as the illustrator of“The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya” and “Shakugan no Shana”.

For this project, she will be helping with character design.

Lemm - Sound Creator

Involved in wide range of music production, mainly focused on BGM for business presentations and promotional advertisements.

Lemm produces original songs using “VOCALOID”. He also participated in the score production of several games, including as “Battle Princess of Arcadias” and “7th Dragon 2020 – II”.

For this project, he will be in charge of producing game music such as the main theme.

Rewards and stretch goals:
82a295fe4dc1b8b538c3ab00caecd7e1_large.png
b1b1981b4ca2f5112ca65b7bb5d83f1d_large.png

4f6a34805ef1c27972246c9583aa3276_large.png
fe1c8026aba10e9ec53e33ab2025ef0c_large.jpg

Shizuka

I saw this earlier at Gematsu, I thought there was a topic already. It's a shame, but it doesn't look it'll reach the goal.

SerTapTap

Cute art. I'm pretty done with Kickstarters for now, but would be glad if they made it.

Jesus christ that's a hell of a leap to PS4/Vita though

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Most games are now shifting from the console market to the mobile market. For this project we have applied our knowledge and experience gained from game production on consoles to revive the old school JRPG on these new platforms to create a simple, yet immersive game.

I was scrolling through the donation tiers looking to buy in at whatever they wanted to get a copy of the game as a fan of NIS. Took me a while to realize this is yet another F2P phone game from good devs.

I have no idea why anyone would contribute to a KS for a f2p game. This is doomed to fail.

graywolf323

would love for this to come to PS4/Vita but no way it's going to reach $500k

is the game going to be F2P? the tiers don't seem to specify when you'd actually get a copy

given the $20 tier includes $10 of in-game crystals that sounds like F2P to me

Almighty

Came into the thread interested left disappointed. No PC version until 250k and f2p stink means this is not the game for me.

Delstius

Looked awesome then I saw the ominous stamina bar, read a bit, mobile game disappointment.
250k for pc and 500k for console as stretch goal killed any hope left. That's a shame, really. I was about to back it if a console or pc version was a sure thing.

Aaron

Did he also work on Venus & Braves? Because that's where the battle system is pulled from. It's a real shame it's F2P phone game, but that's the sad reality of games in Japan. That's the only shot for an indie to make any money.

anderedna

Uhh.. totally the type of game that I'll definitely enjoy, but why include F2P poison in there. I'll definitely backed if they drop the poison. Also 500k for console :'(

zulux21

I'll watch this, and at some level want to support this... but I don't think I can get myself to back a f2p game.

It's too bad that free to play has become basically the only viable way to release a game on smartphones. I would gladly pay money upfront for a mobile game with console sensibilities.

Bytes

Announcing it as a F2P phone game is not a good way to get funding. I would only play it on the PC, personally, but since it doesn't seem like it will have a chance to make that goal there's no way I am putting money into it.

I was ready to scoff at this, but the combat looks like Ogre Battle 64's... and that is my one and only weakness.

Need moar ogre battle. A shame about this game.

Mrbob

Android F2P game with a stamina bar and a 250K PC stretch goal? These guys are doing it wrong. Could be huge with a PC developed focus first and foremost.

I might actually play this. Reminds me of ogrebattle but with more row switch instead of just when you die.

88-OgreBattle64-98.jpg

I don't see a stamina bar, but I probably missed it

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
When I think if the heyday of RPG, the last thing that comes to mind is free to play. No thank you.

Burt

Not that I plan on backing the game, but people that are upset about F2P JRPG-esque mobile games should really take a look in here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=909650

There isn't any indication that they're going to do it right (or wrong), I'm just saying that it's more than possible to do it right. It's 2014; instantly balking at the notion of F2P without any commentary on what you don't like about a game's specific F2P model isn't doing you any favors.

I might actually play this. Reminds me of ogrebattle but with more row switch instead of just when you die.

88-OgreBattle64-98.jpg

I don't see a stamina bar, but I probably missed it

post-23470-Jeremiah-Johnson-nod-cropped-g-jtcK.gif

Kieli

There isn't any indication that they're going to do it right (or wrong), I'm just saying that it's more than possible to do it right. It's 2014; instantly balking at the notion of F2P without any commentary on what you don't like about a game's specific F2P model isn't doing you any favors.

My philosophy for F2P is guilty unless otherwise proven innocent. It's just not how I consume games. F2P almost invariably involves unlocking artificial gates that has absolutely no respect for your time.

It's worked for me so far. Any F2P worth it's salt, Gaf will let me know (DOTA, LoL, etc...).

DiscoJer

Not that I plan on backing the game, but people that are upset about F2P JRPG-esque mobile games should really take a look in here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=909650

I think there are two problems.

Firstly, F2P is inherently designed to generate more revenue than selling the game at a fixed price. There might be good models for F2P, but the whole point is to get more money than just charging a fixed price.

Secondly, it's being kickstarted. Using an inherently predatory revenue model is at odds with Kickstarter, where in theory at least, the money they get is used to pay for the development of the game. I realize many KSed games go over budget, but still, it's tacky to get people to donate to make a F2P game.

Burt

I think there are two problems.

Firstly, F2P is inherently designed to generate more revenue than selling the game at a fixed price. There might be good models for F2P, but the whole point is to get more money than just charging a fixed price.

...which is generally accomplished by creating a vastly larger player base with the majority of users paying significantly less than what would be considered fair retail price for a game, a mutual win for developers and players. Discounting F2P mobile addiction simulators like Candy Crush and the Kardashian slop, I don't know of a legitimate game working with a F2P model that's been successful by doing anything other treating players at least fairly, and the most successful ones often treat them with incredible generosity.

Secondly, it's being kickstarted. Using an inherently predatory revenue model is at odds with Kickstarter, where in theory at least, the money they get is used to pay for the development of the game. I realize many KSed games go over budget, but still, it's tacky to get people to donate to make a F2P game.
The point being that the model isn't predatory, it's how it's applied.

I'm not entirely sure how that second point applies, though. Do F2P games not have development costs? Or, are you saying that it's tacky that they'll collect pledges and have a model that charges more on top of that?

Assuming that backers are getting a better deal and special rewards compared to what's available to non-backers, I don't really see anything wrong with that. They're essentially just trying to sign up the people that were going to spend $15 anyway earlier with better rewards to ensure the game's development If they can't clear 5000 of them, which isn't even a drop in the bucket in that market nowadays, well.. them's the brakes.

Probably should've had some gameplay footage before 2 and a half minutes in.

I was scrolling through the donation tiers looking to buy in at whatever they wanted to get a copy of the game as a fan of NIS. Took me a while to realize this is yet another F2P phone game from good devs.

I have no idea why anyone would contribute to a KS for a f2p game. This is doomed to fail.

I look up there in the credits and see "Makai Kingdom", and I see that quote, yet I don't so much see mobile being uplifted, but console being downgraded.

95670883fdaa1b1de79632d2973f61e5_large.png

Hehehe. Look at the magical endowments on that wizard! Is she related to the Dragon's Crown Sorceress? It looks as if the artists are legally obligated to design fanservicey female characters because they're female.

Apparently the base goal was actually $60k and it got funded?

Well... Whoever made the OP perpetrated a terrible mistake.
My sympathies.

Anyways, there's less than a week to break the 500k barrier, which is all but required to make this project work. Hopefully it turns into something decent, in spite of the shortcomings (both design-wise and financially).

Occam

Sorry, not giving them money for a game that will make me pay them more money (aka "free" to play).
The only way I'd invest in this would be for a share of their profits.

Top Bottom