• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Tablet S is a serious disappointment. Here's why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Everything uses microusb now. I find it annoying the PS3 controllers are Mini.

My Asus Transformer has a proprietary charging port, literally the solitary thing I dislike about it. Great, awesomely competent multi-use device.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Everything uses microusb now. I find it annoying the PS3 controllers are Mini.

My Asus Transformer has a proprietary charging port, literally the solitary thing I dislike about it. Great, awesomely competent multi-use device.

Tablets in general do, they're usually too big to be charged via microusb~.

MercuryLS

Banned
I was growing angry with the damn thing and I decided to check out that fancy leather cover. Well, guess what: in order to use the cover, you need to glue strips of Velcro onto the tablet. Velcro that you will not be able to remove too easily. And then when you have the Velcro, the device no longer fits into the dock and you need to use the separate cable to charge it. What a fucking design disaster.

Wow that's fucked up lol.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Sony seems to be playing catch up with tablets about as well as they played catch-up with MP3 players. If it follows the same path, they may never get it right.

Sony hardware being cutting edge was an entire generation ago. And by generation, I mean generation of humans. I can hardly remember those days.

mingus

OP, if you've dealt with as many Sony products as you claim, then you should know one of their faults is preloaded crapware. It's just something you deal with. I chose to buy a Sony laptop because I know I can do a clean install. I chose to buy one of their mp3 players because the noise cancelling at the time outweighed the disadvantage of the horrible file transferring software. I chose not to buy the Sony tablet or Sony android phones because the reviews dinged them for having a hardware and custom software combination that encumbered android, and in my opinion the pure google version is better anyways. What I don't get is why you relied on a salesperson for all your relevant facts. Since you're so concerned about details, of course it's gonna take longer to boot if you're doing a factory reset. I can't think of the last thing I bought that had an SD card slot that came with an SD card. The earliest one would have to be a camera I bought at Costco years ago that they threw in rather than have one provided in the box by the camera maker. I admit the velcro tape for the tablet cover is an incredibly dumb design, but again, do your own research. Saves you so much trouble and frustration down the line.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I think Honeycomb needs some serious work, but I'm probably buying a Transformer Prime next month. No way I'm buying an iOS device unless Apple updates that snoozefest of an OS. It's bad enough on a phone, but to turn on a tablet and be greeted with a row of lifeless icons is inexcusable. I'll take janky over that any day. I would much rather have Windows 8 on a tablet, but I don't want to wait until fall. I really hope ICS gets spread around quickly to these latest tablets.

The reviews for the Prime make it seem like its the one to get for those that don't want an iPad for whatever reason.

cajunator

Banned
I just like Flash with my internet. Apple decided that they dont like flash, and I decided that I dont like apple. So no, Ipad did not "get it right" they got it the most wrong out of anybody. I honestly dont understand why so many people spend good money on a tablet or phone that openly leaves out something that 90% of the internet uses just because they dont agree with it. That always seemed like bullshit to me and bothered me. But it seems to work for a lot of people, so whatever I guess.

Root it, man. Delete all that Sony junk.

I still don't know why you bought this in the first place. Just because? You seemed fine with iPads, so why change?

I want a tablet but I don't see a product out there yet that is a good investment. The android ones seem clunky and don't have enough apps compared to Apple, and the iPad is way overpriced considering the hardware specs you get.

edit: Oh and tablet without youtube lol... fuck iPad seriously.

edit #2: I'm an idiot apparently. Always assumed iPad didn't support YouTube, since YouTube uses flash.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I want a tablet but I don't see a product out there yet that is a good investment. The android ones seem clunky and don't have enough apps compared to Apple, and the iPad is way overpriced considering the hardware specs you get.

but it has youtube.

Takao

Banned
Sony seems to be playing catch up with tablets about as well as they played catch-up with MP3 players. If it follows the same path, they may never get it right.

Sony hardware being cutting edge was an entire generation ago. And by generation, I mean generation of humans. I can hardly remember those days.

but Sony's MP3 players are pretty great

I was eying an Android one a while back that was absolutely beautiful.

glaurung

Regarding micro-USB: it might sound weird, but the micro-USB cables really aren't that common around the people I know. Now that Android phones are around, there's more of the cables, but on the whole mini-USB is still a lot more common. Almost all of my other hardware uses mini-USB (cameras, accessories etc). I guess the point was that I would expect to get a cable with the damn thing, in the box.

Regarding Android Marketplace: there are two separate things, the default Android Marketplace that exists as a separate application and that keeps track of the applications you have installed. The other is called Sony SelectApp, which I cannot access since I am not in the UK. Choosing another country in the settings does not help either, because in most lesser countries the service does not exist at all. When I access this application, I end up on the Sony Tablet home page, not their storefront. You should be able to download the free games from there and the Sony Music service applications etc.

Regarding pre-purchase research: I thought I did enough of the research, probably even too much. The stuff I asked the clerk was about the things that I could not find online. But the fact that the wanker lied to me about DLNA media support is unforgivable.

Regarding pre-loaded bloat/crapware (mingus): yeah, it's a sad thing for me to experience over and over again. Laptops and PCs in general are easier, because you really have control. But with this thing, the setup wizard tells you one thing, the end result is something else. I just figured out that the default setup bypasses Sony's email application altogether, opting straight for the Gmail app.

Regarding returning the device:
I cannot do that were I live. Customer's the bitch here.

Wait wait wait... I always assumed iPad couldn't play YouTube videos since YouTube is flash-based.

You telling me what exactly?

whitehawk

Banned

But... It does have youtube?

You guys are shattering my entire belief system in a million pieces.

I still don't think I'm gonna get an iPad, but I'm realizing I shouldn't have kept this incorrect assumption to myself all that time!

Pardon my ignorance then.

cajunator

Banned
Wait wait wait... I always assumed iPad couldn't play YouTube videos since YouTube is flash-based.

You telling me what exactly?

Im pretty sure it does. Youtube designed a specific app for iphone/ipad that should work fine. Its not flash based.
But when I talk about missing flash, lots of sports sites with embedded video, news sites, entertainment sites like ebaumsworld and liveleak ad even some automotive sites all use flash, not to mention all the flash gaming websites. I was missing out on so much stuff with my Iphone that it wasnt fun to have one anymore.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
You guys are shattering my entire belief system in a million pieces.

I still don't think I'm gonna get an iPad, but I'm realizing I shouldn't have kept this incorrect assumption to myself all that time!

Pardon my ignorance then.

Oh yeah dude, you can definitely play YouTube on iPad. There's an app for that.

Brera

Banned
In theory, Sony should make awesome tablets.

If you are spending serious dough, get an iPad. The only reason to get anything else is to save cash. Sony is the only company that can hope to compete with Apple in the tablet market, shame they can't.

I'll probably get an iPad 3 this year now that the product has matured and the 1st two barebones models are out of the way.

cajunator

Banned

If you are spending serious dough, get an iPad. The only reason to get anything else is to save cash. Sony is the only company that can hope to compete with Apple in the tablet market, shame they can't.

I'll probably get an iPad 3 this year now that the product has matured and the 1st two barebones models are out of the way.

I just stated exactly why people buy something besides an ipad.

it's really weird that some of your complaints are about the device being used and having stuff on it when it was a store model, which, obviously, people use.

and the microusb comment is baffling to me, i mean for years now, every phone except the iStuff uses one.

the rest of the complaints, i agree, you should have gotten an iPad. oh wait, you already had one...

i'd never get an iPad... ok, i'd CONSIDER it if there was some real multitasking on it in the future and IRC suddenly became usable, and if there were a simple way to run stuff not on the app store.

mingus

Sorry to hear. Your best bet probably is to put some custom rom on it. To be honest I'm not all that jazzed about honeycomb either; it's not as refined as gingerbread and compatibility across apps is still an issue, but the ones that are optimized for tablets are pretty glorious. I bought an Acer Iconia mainly to read pdfs and save some trees. After messing around with my kid brother's ipad I just didn't want to deal with itunes. To each his own, etc. I just feel sympathetic whenever someone makes a substantial purchase only to be hit by buyer's remorse.

Agentnibs

couldnt you use the charger to transfer data? Assuming its a detachable USB like most other devices. And at least in the states micro USB is the standard for pretty much everything aside from idevices

rpmurphy

Im pretty sure it does. Youtube designed a specific app for iphone/ipad that should work fine. Its not flash based.
But when I talk about missing flash, lots of sports sites with embedded video, news sites, entertainment sites like ebaumsworld and liveleak ad even some automotive sites all use flash, not to mention all the flash gaming websites. I was missing out on so much stuff with my Iphone that it wasnt fun to have one anymore.
Yeah, I have no beef with browsing with Flash plugin on all the time in desktop mode on my Xoom, although it does take some extra processing. It's just Apple curating web content to meet their own ends.

EDIT: By the way OP, there are mini-to-micro USB adapters. I have like a few at home myself.

glaurung

couldnt you use the charger to transfer data? Assuming its a detachable USB like most other devices. And at least in the states micro USB is the standard for pretty much everything aside from idevices
No, the other end of the charge cable is the power brick. You don't transfer anything aside from current with that.

sca2511

I actually like the design. I'd root it and put a custom ROM on it if it were available. I liked what I played with in-store.

cajunator

Banned
I think flash fans make up a minority of buyers. Minority of 1% ain't much!

It bothered the fuck out of me. Maybe Im just strange. But I didnt like seeing ????? all over webpages. That kind of shit annoys me.

the funny thing about it is that I dont really hate the design of apple products and I like the functionality. Its really just the complete animosity towards flash software that made me dump apple for Samsung.

I didn't know this tablet existed until I today, when I took a rare step into a bricks-and-mortar computer store.

I played with all the Android tablets, and this one was pretty low on the aesthetics/form factor list.

Also, as the OP described, this was the only one with crap all over the home screen. Save files for Crash Bandicoot, it appeared.

Yeah, there are better tablets out there. The Transformer was cheaper and is much better from my playing with my father-in-law's and playing with one in the store.

Brera

Banned
It bothered the fuck out of me. Maybe Im just strange. But I didnt like seeing ????? all over webpages. That kind of shit annoys me.

the funny thing about it is that I dont really hate the design of apple products and I like the functionality. Its really just the complete animosity towards flash software that made me dump apple for Samsung.

Don't get me wrong, lack of flash is a joke, especially their reasoning but even without flash, iOS is still the best by a long shot.

With Steve Jobs gone, hopefully Apple will be less petty.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
edit #2: I'm an idiot apparently. Always assumed iPad didn't support YouTube, since YouTube uses flash.

Just FYI, Youtube has been on the HTML5 video train for a long time now. The increasing majority of the videos on there can be viewed without Flash on a modern browser.

And at this point, it's done. Flash lost. Adobe isn't even bothering to continue developing mobile Flash.

As an Android phone fanboy, and an iPad fanboy, and a long time HTML5 proponent, I say good riddance.

OP: Sony + Android has been a trainwreck since Sony started working on Android devices. Stay away unless you hear of some miraculous revolution in Sony's software development team.

linsivvi

Regarding micro-USB: it might sound weird, but the micro-USB cables really aren't that common around the people I know. Now that Android phones are around, there's more of the cables, but on the whole mini-USB is still a lot more common. Almost all of my other hardware uses mini-USB (cameras, accessories etc). I guess the point was that I would expect to get a cable with the damn thing, in the box.

Regarding Android Marketplace: there are two separate things, the default Android Marketplace that exists as a separate application and that keeps track of the applications you have installed. The other is called Sony SelectApp, which I cannot access since I am not in the UK. Choosing another country in the settings does not help either, because in most lesser countries the service does not exist at all. When I access this application, I end up on the Sony Tablet home page, not their storefront. You should be able to download the free games from there and the Sony Music service applications etc.

Regarding pre-purchase research: I thought I did enough of the research, probably even too much. The stuff I asked the clerk was about the things that I could not find online. But the fact that the wanker lied to me about DLNA media support is unforgivable.

Regarding pre-loaded bloat/crapware (mingus): yeah, it's a sad thing for me to experience over and over again. Laptops and PCs in general are easier, because you really have control. But with this thing, the setup wizard tells you one thing, the end result is something else. I just figured out that the default setup bypasses Sony's email application altogether, opting straight for the Gmail app.

Well then since you CAN access the standard Android Marketplace, most of your problems can be solved:

Get the Wifi Explorer (which is free) so you can transfer files without any cable.

Research and find the most suitable DLNA app that allows you to play your media.

As for bloatware, either root your tab or wait for the ICS upgrade which will allow you to remove all the bloatware.

So there you go.

Al-ibn Kermit

There is absolutely no way I would buy a smartphone or tablet without trying it out first, especially one with an operating system that I've never used before. You should have also tried comparing it to the competition to see how it differs from other android tablets. It sounds like Sony jammed it with half-baked apps and other bullshit.

I don't mean any offense, but I think your first problem was going to a Sony store to buy the tablet. You should have gone somewhere where at least the salesman is a little less biased and where you get to compare everything side by side.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Why would you ever ask a floor sales person anything when you are obviously pretty Internet-savvy?

Zizbuka

Banned

But didn't you say Android is shit? You didn't at least try an Android tablet first? That was a big wall of text, putting blame on everyone/thing except where it should be.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!

in theory they should make awesome stuff, period. They used to. I can't believe how I don't own one Sony product now. My house was sonyland a few years ago... Playstation, tv, receiver, etc. They have been outclassed by so many the last few years. No point in buying any of their products.

ty_hot

So the tablet can access the Android Marketplace. Then the whole paragraph about Sony IP locking their marketplace is silly, since I don't see the point of using the Sony market in the first place.

As for transferring files, there's also Wifi explorer or similar apps that allows you to transfer files over Wifi.

Also the Android is shit comment is simply trollish.

Stop using Wifi explorer.

AirDroid is the answer.

pgtl_10

Just FYI, Youtube has been on the HTML5 video train for a long time now. The increasing majority of the videos on there can be viewed without Flash on a modern browser.

And at this point, it's done. Flash lost. Adobe isn't even bothering to continue developing mobile Flash.

As an Android phone fanboy, and an iPad fanboy, and a long time HTML5 proponent, I say good riddance.

OP: Sony + Android has been a trainwreck since Sony started working on Android devices. Stay away unless you hear of some miraculous revolution in Sony's software development team.

Isn't Flash better from a developer standpoint?

Mohonky

Eh, would never have this problem; I know never to buy Sony unless it's video camera's.

Never understood why Sony is held in such high regard. They always use cheap materials, shit breaks or stops working just outside of warranty and they are always pushing some propriety connection / memory device with their products and they charge you some Sony tax like their product is a higher tier than competition.

Has always been that way right from my first Walkman which was a pos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom