• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SONY set to JUNK status

yon61

Agreed the whole Japanese electronics industry has problems. But compare Sony's loss with Panny's: 15.5bn yen vs 700bn yen loss in the previous q. :eek: Degrading Sony's credit is a bit unfair since they were forecasting to return to profitability by the end of FY, the cut will make the way for recovery more difficult.

Sony forecast a lot of things, like 10 million Vitas.

Aaron

You are kind of along the right lines, but there is no "just" about it. It needs fast and brutal restructuring, because the company culture is such that any other sort doesn't work.

I don't think it can any longer be done from inside the company. And that spells to me either interim management, administration or a cheapo buyout. Not a good time to buy stock. Noyt yet.
I agree it needs to come from the outside. I used to work for a company that got restructured by outside consultants, and it was a huge improvement. There were deep cuts at the time, but years later the company is twice the size it was before the cuts.

I'm slightly concerned by the power wielded by credit agencies
They don't really have that much power over someone like Sony. Sony has billions of its own money to spend.
10 million vita would have contributed a couple of billion dollars in sales to Sony's figures with then software sales a noticeable chunk of profit, that isn't happening now

Yeah, you have no idea what you are talking about do you?

I'm in the market for a TV and was looking at Sony / Panasonic displays. I guess I should avoid them if I can't currently tell how these will be supported 2 years from now?

Taurus

No, Ken Kutaragi was responsible for PS3. At the time, Kaz was in charge of software development. Once Ken was moved aside and Kaz was given control in 2007 it was his changes to SCE which rescued the PS3 and turned the unit around. Kaz is responsible for Vita though, which is a device that it 4 years late to the market and was still undercooked.
PSP Go and PS3 SuperSlim are also under Kaz's, right?

They don't really have that much power over someone like Sony. Sony has billions of its own money to spend.
Then why did they recently float convertible bonds due to having limited access to regular markets and cut shareholder value?

Nothing incorrect about that statement. 10 million Vita's is 2-2.5 billion in sales. Cut that down to 6 million and they are going to be down roughly $1 billion in hardware revenue alone, not even counting software and accessories.

I'm in the market for a TV and was looking at Sony / Panasonic displays. I guess I should avoid them if I can't currently tell how these will be supported 2 years from now?

The tvs from these companies are so expensive. I was in the market for a high end tv 2 years ago but with every model in every pricerange Samsung and LG were beating them with +€200. If they get off their archaic price model for their tvs they might sell me on them.

Its not the time to rely on your premium brand name anymore.

Yes. The PS3 slim was forced through by Kaz in early 2008 according to our sources within the company. He had to fight all the way and eventually just used his own authority to order the manufacturing and killed the phat.

He said that the PS3 wouldn't be successful until they cut the price and presented a whole new image, which required a new unit to be designed built on the success of PS2.

PSPGo, I'm not sure, I think that comes from the US division.

Nothing incorrect about that statement. 10 million Vita's is 2-2.5 billion in sales. Cut that down to 6 million and they are going to be down roughly $1 billion in hardware revenue alone, not even counting software and accessories.

Yes, the revenue forecast has already been cut to reflect that, but given that Vita is a break even device it probably has a positive impact on their operating margin.

10 million x $200 (guesstimation of vita wholesale price) = $2billion, now I'm assuming approx break even on hardware so wouldn't make any difference to profit, however as hardware sales are so low far far less software will be sold and less profit will be made

deviljho

The strong yen plays a role in their misfortunes, and they have no control over that. Note that both of these companies are Japanese and both participate in a very cut throat, international consumer electronics market.

Busty

Banned
Sony has moved a few desks around. They haven't done any real restructuring yet.

While Japan as a whole is suffering it seems like Sony have tried to realise profits by cutting the work force and making savings where they can. But clearly this just isn't enough.

And while streamlining an operation is always a good idea (apart from people losing their jobs obviously) Sony's problems are far deeper than that.

But this move will buy Kaz some time at least. Let's see if he's actually able to do anything with it.

herod

Panasonic make (arguably, depending on your stance on Plasma) the best new TVs that money can buy right now, and considering aftermarket support isn't really a relevant issue for a TV after a couple of years I don't see the problem.

Can't really see any point buying a Sony TV currently though.

He still stood by while it happened. He announced 599 USD out loud on stage for gods sake. And felt that PS1 ridge racer on PSP was an E3 worth announcement.

Kaz was there, maybe he wasn't the one with full authority but if he's a man of business strength and smarts, I don't see it. Maybe I should give him credit for cutting down on the PS3 maybe making decisions like cutting PS2 backwards compatibility.

deviljho

Panasonic make (arguably, depending on your stance on Plasma) the best new TVs that money can buy right now, and considering aftermarket support isn't really a relevant issue for a TV after a couple of years I don't see the problem.

The value of the yen is a problem. But only a problem for Panny, and not the consumer. :D

Toki767

I feel like articles like these never mention that maybe one of the biggest reasons why Japanese companies are floundering is because the yen is stronger than both the dollar and the euro. They can't afford to lower prices because they already get screwed by the exchange rate as is.

Then why did they recently float convertible bonds due to having limited access to regular markets and cut shareholder value?
They sold the bonds because they credit rating was already low and trying to finace their equity would cause their shares to plunge even further. Doesn't change anything I said.

Revenue was not what I was disputing....

Super slim just launched, im pretty sure its still been selling pretty nicely so what is your point.

Sony's forecast for vita sales is still far too high

True, but it is not of great importance as Vita is not a profitable device or ecosystem so in the short term fewer sales makes little difference to the end result. It's why their revenue forecast was reduced and the profit forecast stayed the same.

Sony's problem with Vita is something they will need to work out over the next year or so and by not aggressively cutting the price to hold up sales was a good decision as Sony can't afford the hit. Vita is a device released in 2012 made for 2008 audiences, Sony need to work out how to fix that and not just cut the price and hope for the best.

They've been getting their shit in order despite not doing as well in some areas as they might have liked. That's good progress... but they need to get the PS4 equation spot on. If they overprice themselves again, I think it'd be worse for them in this climate than the PS3 was. There are just so many other things that people are prepared to buy.

I'm guessing becaus accessing their cash reserves to fund projects will be considered a last resort for Sony

I feel like articles like these never mention that maybe one of the biggest reasons why Japanese companies are floundering is because the yen is stronger than both the dollar and the euro. They can't afford to lower prices because they already get screwed by the exchange rate as is.
A good question is why the Japanese Government is allowing it to happen. Surely you'd try better to take care of your export industry

Dead Man

On Thursday the credit rating agency docked Sony three notches to BB-, from BBB-, and Panasonic two notches to BB, from BBB-

Is it just me or does this sentence not make sense? is BB(-) better or worse than BBB-?

A good question is why the Japanese Government is allowing it to happen. Surely you'd try better to take care of your export industry

This situation is actually what has caused the latest in a string of elections in Japan. Shinzo Abe has called for the BoJ to spend unlimited amounts of money to weaken the Yen, if he wins it will give Japanese industry a lifeline, but nothing more than that. They will still have to carry out root and branch reform of their business practices to ensure that they can take advantage of growing markets by being swift.

herod

And I want a new Panasonic Plasma for my PS4 =/
Hope they can both turn this around!

ultimately those patents will still be worth money, it might just be that it's Samsung implementing them (and maybe they will do a better job, as most people say the Kuro displays are still unmatched).

Top Bottom