• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Sony Seeks New Ideas"

CamHostage

JoatesDogg187 said:
Sony: So whats your game idea?

Auditioner: (presents game idea)

Sony: Well get back to you.

Sony never replies,

3 years later Sony releases game.

Ouch. Sure, that could happen, but I think more often than not, these guys find their way in with Yaroze rather than get crushed by it. The maker of Ape Escape originally got in by just making Yaroze stuff, and Devil Dice got picked up. Those are the two high-profile stories, but I'm sure a lot of guys used Yaroze as their calling card, and with competitions this public, we would have heard if there was a suit for idea theft.

Intelligent Qube was Yaroze, too, I think.

And please, not the Nintendo INvented Everything angle again. I can't believe how 1) ignorant and 2) selective people who advocate that viewpoint are.

Gek54

PhoenixDark said:
New ideas for Sony..? Hmmm...

1114603433nintendogs11dp.jpg

O'RLY?

ss_dogslife1.jpg

Ya RLY!

it aint stealing an idea if your just using a feature that has become standard. Sony had to implement rumble and analog once nintendo came out with it. They never touted it as their own so I dont see the problem with that.

"Omg!!1 Nint3nd0s t0le id3a f0r cD frum s0ni!111!2"

never heard that. All that was said when GC was announced with disk format was "Bout fucking time."

With that said, if any features of rev controller show up on final build of PS3, then ya they are thiefs. But that other shit wasnt stealing.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
If anything, Nintendo would have stolen this idea by Sega, who made the Mega CD first.

Suburban Cowboy said:
it aint stealing an idea if your just using a feature that has become standard. Sony had to implement rumble and analog once nintendo came out with it. They never touted it as their own so I dont see the problem with that.

"Omg!!1 Nint3nd0s t0le id3a f0r cD frum s0ni!111!2"

never heard that. All that was said when GC was announced with disk format was "Bout fucking time."

With that said, if any features of rev controller show up on final build of PS3, then ya they are thiefs. But that other shit wasnt stealing.

If Sony really wanted the reactive onscreen interaction they would probably just push forward their own eyetoy tech. They demonstrated it at E3 with two regular cups, but the onscreen graphics reacted accordingly like it was being filled with water as the user was "scoopping" the cups and "filling" them with water back and forth.

There it's done, they retain their central controller design for most modern game designs while being prepared with other levels of interaction. It's a similiar concept but different execution.

BuG

Ignatz Mouse said:
Intelligent Qube was Yaroze, too, I think.
Intelligent Qube, too?! I'm so out of the loop, I'm going to spend today learning up on what I thought I had some idea of.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
01.jpg

It has LOTS of possibilities, use them!

with as much effort as GAF puts into arguing about sales, making photoshops, and occasionally talking about a game or two i wonder if a group of people here could put together a game that was actually fun to play and submit it to sony.... hmmm....

I applaud Sony's decision to move in new directions.

I expected less of them. Perhaps this "Pee Ess Three" won't be a waste after all.

Wollan

Say what you want about Sony but Im playing Shadow of the Colossus now and since about 15min from after I started I have been constantly thinking this is the best game I have played in my entire life.

Luckett_X

Banned
-_- where is the god damn site. I don't understand what the point was of realeasing this news article a month before the actual competition? It said the site would go live on the 15th November. Oh look thats today, and no idea where to look! Genius.

So, if anyone can actually track this motherfucking competition site down, I'd be much obliged.

Travado

Hey Sony, calls Nintendo to give some excellent ideas to you, as for example, using the second screen of the DS as a map. :lol

Luckett_X

Banned
urrrrgh, looks like its Japanese only:
http://www.playstation.jp/scej/yarouze/

a quick babelfish of the application says "of japanese residence". So what the fuck was with all these news sites declaring it a global competition? I'd like some answers, as I was greatly anticipating entering this, only to seemingly be massively disappointed.

Phoenix

phantomile co. said:
media.jpg

that's bound to come up with some new ideas for games :)

LIke "channel changer". It shows some footage from a game and when it approaches a commercial you press the button quickly. The less of the commercial you see, the more points you get.

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
Amir0x said:
hehe. it happens to the best of us

i want to play a game on a next-gen system that has a Minish Cap-esque system, except far more involved. You can switch between big world and small world to solve puzzles, but it's all in full 3D. And the small world is scaled accordingly, so like when you're in small world your friends become Colossi and the escaped gerbil becomes a mortal foe. so you have to take into account things that would cause you trouble when you're small as your big self, so you can move obstacles or trap the gerbil in a cage or whatever before you move to the next area.

I had a design proposal for something like this in 1999 for the old game company I worked for. As the game went on, you could switch from big to small at certain points by using a magnifying glass: you'd look into it and the world would look super small (or super big, depending on which side you looked into), then you'd take away the magnifying glass and the world would have "stuck" that way.

It didn't get the go ahead :(. Maybe it was because the main character was going to be a Sock Monkey. But the Sock Monkey had a certain sidekick... a certain Drinky sidekick.

Luckett_X

Banned
I don't, as my current game idea concerns clouds!

I still want an answer as to why this contest was reported as global, when the only site thats promoting it suggests its Japan Only.

Collectively awful journalism, or has a US/EU site yet to materialise?

Top Bottom