• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Sony Seeks New Ideas"

Jonnyram

The ironic thing is, they even copied the idea for this event off Nintendo, who held a similar event over the last couple of months in Japan.

That's like the 10th time I've seen an article about this, and yet, no media have bothered to provide any information on how to apply, or supply any links to official websites...

media.jpg

that's bound to come up with some new ideas for games :)

ThirdEye

Jonnyram said:
The ironic thing is, they even copied the idea for this event off Nintendo, who held a similar event over the last couple of months in Japan.
What event?
The link Wunderchu posted is about Game Yaroze! 2006 which is the continuation of the PS1 era Net Yaroze. I've never heard Nintendo does things like that.

Bebpo

Banned
Jonnyram said:

But they've been doing this annually for 10 years...

Andy787

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Uh, last couple of months? Sony has been doing this for years.

Devil Dice and the Dokodemo Issho (that game) games have come out of this. They're just expanding it to PSP and PS3 now.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
um, wasn't the yaroze the "net" dev kit PS1.

I know we had the Linux kit for PS2, and we are getting the linux installed HDD for PS3, but i wonder if they'll throw some basic tools on there as well like with yaroze?

Have sony been doing this for 10 years? wow, i didn't know that.

Bebpo

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Well that's hardly true, but I know what you're trying to say :p
The truth is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_Yaroze

Net Yaroze had no competition. It was setup as a community originally in 97.
It also wasn't the first of its type, and it definitely didn't have the incentives of this latest competition.

http://www.dengekionline.com/data/news/2005/10/25/a048fd197af77fe31235963ec3ed588b.html

「ゲームやろうぜ!」は1995年にスタートしたプロジェクトで、多くのクリエイターを対象にPS用ゲームソフト開発環境の支援および提供を行い、ユニークで新しいゲームソフトを生み出すことを目指したクリエイターオーディション。1999年までの4年間で約3,000人、1,200件の応募があり、多数の作品が商品化された。中でも、『どこでもいっしょ』シリーズや『XI[sai]』は多くのゲームユーザーから人気を集め、ミリオンセラーを達成している。

It says the project started back in 1995 and that they've had 3,000 applicants in the time period until 1999.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Jonnyram said:
well, that's the last time i argue about something i don't know about :)

I often do that and i'm always nervous that someone is going to blindside me with something that completley contradicts what I say and ends up making me look bad. That happened to me once and someone totally ripped me a new one...thats the last time I did it :lol

Amir0x

Banned
hehe. it happens to the best of us

i want to play a game on a next-gen system that has a Minish Cap-esque system, except far more involved. You can switch between big world and small world to solve puzzles, but it's all in full 3D. And the small world is scaled accordingly, so like when you're in small world your friends become Colossi and the escaped gerbil becomes a mortal foe. so you have to take into account things that would cause you trouble when you're small as your big self, so you can move obstacles or trap the gerbil in a cage or whatever before you move to the next area.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Amir0x said:
hehe. it happens to the best of us

i want to play a game on a next-gen system that has a Minish Cap-esque system, except far more involved. You can switch between big world and small world to solve puzzles, but it's all in full 3D. And the small world is scaled accordingly, so like when you're in small world your friends become Colossi and the escaped gerbil becomes a mortal foe. so you have to take into account things that would cause you trouble when you're small as your big self, so you can move obstacles or trap the gerbil in a cage or whatever before you move to the next area.

Maybe SotC is somones backyard and the Colossi are bipedal child toys...

:eek:

If anybody manages to scrounge up an official website, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would appreciate it if you'd post it.

I'm looking and I'll find it eventually, I'm sure, but so far no dice...

edit: Just read in another story that the official website will go live on November 15th...

BuG

Andy787 said:
Uh, last couple of months? Sony has been doing this for years.

Devil Dice and the Dokodemo Issho (that game) games have come out of this. They're just expanding it to PSP and PS3 now.
Wow, I was unaware Devil Dice came about as a result of Net Yaroze. I remember back in the day trying to convince my friend to save money with me to try and buy a Net Yaroze so we could make our own games, but when we finally found out how much the things costed we just went and bought pizza and already-made games.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
The site for this contest doesn't go live till November 15th according to the Jap press release.

Polari

Does anyone remember Terra Incognita from the Net Yaroze days? That game was pretty awesome considering the limitations the guys that made it had to work with. Does anyone know what happened to them?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have a net Yaroze in my loft - think its a PAL one. Never really got into it properly. Probably worthless now.

Jonnyram

mrklaw said:
I have a net Yaroze in my loft - think its a PAL one. Never really got into it properly. Probably worthless now.
I think you'd be surprised!
One neat thing was they didn't have the error check so you could boot imports and, I think, copies.

JOhnnyram is my new favorite poster, for having a sense of humor about himself.

Plus, the awesome avatar.

I'm excited at the prospect of PSP stuff coming from this. And I could use a handheld Devil Dice (with a zillion puzzles in puzzle mode please) while they're at it.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Jonnyram said:

Nintendovation strikes again. :D

Joates

Banned
Sony: So whats your game idea?

Auditioner: (presents game idea)

Sony: Well get back to you.

Sony never replies,

3 years later Sony releases game.

genjiZERO

Razoric said:
Kenny is lookin for the perfect women.

B0000640S9.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

"kittikittikitti"

Dude that movie is fucked up.

has anyone here ever worked with a Yaroze? I've been wanting to get one, and dabble around with it. I'm confused though, how can it be used to make PS3 or PSP games? Isn't it PS1 hardware?

Top Bottom