• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony dismisses rumours of PSP price cut

Vieo

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=18944

"No plans" to reduce cost, says spokesperson

Following the emergence of rumours that a PSP price cut is imminent, a Sony representative has told GamesIndustry.biz that there are no plans to reduce the cost of the handheld at present.

The suggestion of a PSP price cut initially came from industry analyst P.J. McNealy, who told CNN Money: "There is a price cut coming in the second half of the year."

According to McNealy, the PSP "has lost momentum. Nintendo has had a great run since it launched the DS Lite and Sony needs to regain some ground." He believes that Sony will slash the price of the handheld in the US from US$199 to US$149 - bringing it closer to the DS price point of US$129.

But a Sony UK spokesperson told GI.biz: "Currently we have no plans to cut the price of the PSP at this time."

It's more likely that Sony will cut the price of the PlayStation 2, as predicted by other industry analysts. The console currently retails with an RRP of GBP 104.99 in the UK, but many retailers are already cutting the price to below the magic GBP 100 mark - and it's thought that Sony could well follow suit with an official price reduction in time for Christmas.

Can they really afford to get into a price-cut battle with Nintendo, though? If they move to slash the price, Nintendo simply go sub-$100. Couple this with the phasing out of the GBA line, major holiday titles & Pokemon imminent...

Andy787

Banned
So basically, they're not going to tell you if they're going to drop the price of their product that is currently on the market? Really?

Anyway, if they do somehow drop the price that low, I don't know how that wouldn't be an incredible deal to anyone looking for any kind of entertainment device. For $150 you would be getting a great game machine, great mp3/podcast player, great movie player, portable wireless internet browser, ability to show digital photos, etc.

Yet somehow, I'm sure people will continue to bash it, and want it to fail. :/

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
And with that they dismiss the high chance of me buying one. :)

At the moment there were only two things that could possibly get me to buy a PSP: one of those was a price drop...

DMC... where art thou...?

they REALLY desperately need to cut the price of the damn thing

the fact that the US still has to pay more for a system than Japan did at ****ing launch is bullshit

rastex

Banned
Andy787 said:
Anyway, if they do somehow drop the price that low, I don't know how that wouldn't be an incredible deal to anyone looking for any kind of entertainment device. For $150 you would be getting a great game machine, great mp3/podcast player, great movie player, portable wireless internet browser, ability to show digital photos, etc.

Not for $150, you need to invest in a memory card to enjoy all the benefits you're talking about. Fortunately the price of memory cards is going down drastically.

bengraven

Obligatory "I'll buy one when they eventually drop the price" post.

I'll also add the expected: "I had one and sold it, but will buy one again when the price goes down".

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
maybe they just mean in Europe, obviously. was the analyst talking more specifically abuot a certain region or worldwide?

Dalthien

davepoobond said:
maybe they just mean in Europe, obviously. was the analyst talking more specifically abuot a certain region or worldwide?
Well, it is a CNN/Money analyst - so he would only be speculating about a price drop in North America. Part of his reasoning is that the PSP has been falling behind the DS (in sales) the past few months, plus the fact that Sony has built up a huge stockpile of PSP inventory. Sony has now shipped more than 20 million PSPs, and have only sold maybe 14 million. That means that there is almost half as many PSPs sold still sitting as stock somewhere. That is a huge backlog of inventory.

That leaves Sony in a tough spot. They either have to start scaling back or shutting down some of the production facilities - which costs money - or they need to drop the price in order to start clearing out some of the backlog. But dropping the price means that they need to refund that discount to retail. A $50 price drop times 6 million units would be an immediate $300 million dollar hit to Sony - which would be hard to swallow. Although I suspect that many of those 6 million unsold units are actually just sitting in Sony warehouses and are not actually in the retail channel. If that is the case, then the hit to Sony would not be as bad.

It is also possible that this was part of Sony's plan all along. That they wanted to build up a surplus of PSPs before the launch of the PS3. That way they could just shift over some of the PSP production facilities to PS3 production, and there would still be plenty of PSP stock available to carry them through the PS3 launch period. In this case a price cut would be highly unlikely because Sony would be more than happy to use this next year to ramp up PS3 production and just let the PSP inventory slowly trickle down as PSPs continue to sell through the holiday season. Retooling production facilities can be quite expensive though, and having to shift facilities back and forth from PSP to PS3 and back to PSP somewhere down the line doesn't make a lot of sense.

My guess is that Sony expected PSP sales to be quite a bit higher than they actually have been, and they produced the PSP to meet their expectations instead of producing them to meet the actual demand. And now they have built up a glut of inventory which is going to cost them a pretty penny whatever they decide to do. I would expect Sony to try to see if they can ramp up sales this holiday season, and clear out as much of that inventory at full price as they can - that way they can minimize the refunds that they will have to make to retail. But if sales remain sluggish, and the DS continues on at full steam, then pressure will mount to try to keep the platform viable, such as those comments from EA recently.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
but what i'm trying to get at is why is a European country commenting about something that applies to north america by asking a the European branch of the company about a price drop (in Europe, since the branch of the company they're asking is in Europe)?

s'all i mean.

Dalthien

davepoobond said:
but what i'm trying to get at is why is a European country commenting about something that applies to north america by asking a the European branch of the company about a price drop (in Europe, since the branch of the company they're asking is in Europe)?

s'all i mean.
Yeah, I agree. It doesn't make much sense to ask a European spokesperson to comment about a potential North American price drop.

snatches

It's funny, because if Sony doesn't drop the price, Nintendo's momentum will continue and be really strong through Q4, especially if they get Zelda out the door. On the other hand, a Sony price drop to $149 would probably motivate Nintendo to drop the DS price to $99, creating a shitstorm of demand from all corners. Quite the chess match. But I think Sony will drop the price.

I think by 2008 we will be playing a revised PSP hardware system without UMD, but that is just a gut feeling.

Dalthien

snatches said:
It's funny, because if Sony doesn't drop the price, Nintendo's momentum will continue and be really strong through Q4, especially if they get Zelda out the door. On the other hand, a Sony price drop to $149 would probably motivate Nintendo to drop the DS price to $99, creating a shitstorm of demand from all corners. Quite the chess match. But I think Sony will drop the price.
It probably wouldn't have any effect on Nintendo's pricing this holiday season. They recently ramped up production to 2.2 million units per month, but they're selling 2 million per month as it is right now, which leaves very little room for them to build up any extra inventory which they will undoubtedly need for the holidays. Nintendo is selling everything they can produce at the moment, so a price drop right now wouldn't make sense, even if Sony did drop the price of the PSP. The fact is, Nintendo couldn't sell any more DS units anyway, so there would be no point in dropping the price.

But a PSP price cut would probably guarantee a DS drop to $99 in the spring, and that would probably be the biggest boost to the DS that it could possibly receive. At that price, all of those GBA people start making the switch over to the DS, which already happened long ago in Japan. I'm sure Sony realizes that as well. If the GBA audience migrates to the DS in the US, then even if Sony increases PSP sales with a price cut, they could actually fall even further back in the handheld race. It's an interesting dilemma.

snatches

Spring does seem more reasonable to assume, true. I think Sony might ride through this holiday and hope that holiday sales + GTA Vice City Stories will clear out the backed up inventory situation. I am in distribution so I can agree that the write down for Sony would be hella expen$ive.

Elios83

Oh so they confirm it's coming :lol :lol

Anyway Sony will have two announcements on 21 and 23 August.
I guess one it's about PSP price and the other about some missing PS3 launch details (as games' price).

Elios83 said:
Oh so they confirm it's coming :lol :lol

Anyway Sony will have two announcements on 21 and 23 August.
I guess one it's about PSP price and the other about some missing PS3 launch details (as games' price).
They won't announce a PSP price drop in Europe (those dates and rumor announcements are for that Leipzig convention).

PS2 is still 149€, they are NOT going to put PSP at the same price. I rather expect PS2 to go to 129€...if at all.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
snatches said:
I think by 2008 we will be playing a revised PSP hardware system without UMD, but that is just a gut feeling.

So how would people with UMD games play them?

Azazela

Banned
Needs a price cut.

PS2 is cheaper than the PSP, GCN is cheaper than the DS... Something is wrong with the handheld market today.

$149 almost seems too cheap. DS Lite is selling for $129. I know DSL is a very popular system, but the hardware in the PSP is way more than a $20 difference.

P90

Azazela said:
Needs a price cut.

PS2 is cheaper than the PSP, GCN is cheaper than the DS... Something is wrong with the handheld market today.

Games, not hardware rules the market.

Elios83

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
They won't announce a PSP price drop in Europe (those dates and rumor announcements are for that Leipzig convention).

PS2 is still 149€, they are NOT going to put PSP at the same price. I rather expect PS2 to go to 129€...if at all.

Just to be precise the announcements just before Games Convention are not rumors,Sony has sent official PR to european gaming press (they also confirmed in the same PR no playable PS3 at GC because developers are making demos with TGS in mind).
As for the price it's not a matter of PS2 vs PSP but which platform needs a price cut.PSP after a year on the market does and PS2 doesn't,but we'll see.

Amir0x said:
oh god that just sent chills down my spine imagining "yeah, the games will cost 70 dollars"

Imo we all know it will be like this:
59$/€ for all Sony published games.
Open price for third parties= 60-70$/€

Top Bottom