• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony appreciates "the CMA’s focus on protecting gamers" as it welcomes the announcement to further investigate the Activision acquisition

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It strikes me that Sony are mainly investing to control, not build the industry. Is that what you want from a potential market-leader?

I'd disagree on the basis of PSVR2 and their expansion into the PC market being major initiatives designed to access a wider userbase and grow the industry.

Lets face it, MS is only investing because of GamePass. They want to gatekeep across console, pc, and mobile. The bigger they get, the more air they are aiming to suck out of the room on all those platforms. Their pitch is based on commodity facilitating better value proposition, making everyone outside of it look like a worse deal.

As I've pointed out repeatedly, its a sweet deal for consumers in the short term, while still in the growth phase, but long-term... you need to ask yourself how have similar offerings in movies and music evolved over time and have they overall been beneficial.

skit_data

19836_G827860.jpg
Such a great tagline for such an awful movie.

SSfox

Read what you wrote because you sound stupid. Sony don't own Square Enix. Nor do they own the FF IP. So it's not upto Sony to decide anything that's your first mistake. If your going to post a clever rebuttal at least get the right information and blame the owners of the IP.
Ding ding ding - we have a winner. The buck stops with SE for that deal.

If COD is removed from PlayStation, as stated by Jim Ryan, who would know better than all of us, that’s all on Microsoft.

And the newly appointed chair as of Sept 7th, 2022 is specifically going to look unkindly to companies who have raised their prices while having a product that literally sells out the moment it comes in, and in which the company that sells it made record profits in their games business very recently, and has a games business that is billions of dollars stronger than the buyer of Activision Blizzard. That's precisely the style of greed that will harm Sony's credibility.

Meanwhile Game Pass is quite literally about making some of the biggest games out there a lot more accessible and affordable to a larger group of people.

1: Stop using "literally" so excessively.

2: Raising the MSRP in markets with weaker currency rates to equalize with regions having stronger currency exchange rates has no direct correlation with rate of which the product can sell. In other words, the implication that the product selling out near-instantly as it's available has a direct relevance on the profits the company selling that product bring in, is misplaced, because you have NO idea what the costs for the manufacture of the product is in the first place. Leads to...

3: Record revenue != record profit, or at the very least, the ratio of revenue to profit is not some linear constant. IIRC last fiscal quarter Sony's PlayStation saw a decline in profit despite an increase in revenue QoQ. Net profit does not linearly scale with revenue, never has and never will.

4: PS might generate more revenue and profit than Xbox but the way it reached those figures were well within the bounds of what regulatory bodies consider fair competition. Microsoft is looking to increase Xbox revenue not by necessarily relying on directly attracting the business of the end customer, but by buying other companies and absorbing their revenue figures into those of the Xbox division. I.e buying their way to bigger revenue; it's not MS who garnered those COD and ABK customers, that was the work of ABK while they were still independent!

5: Making the "biggest games" more accessible & affordable to a larger group of people didn't require buying the publishers of those games. That was a route Microsoft optioned to take, and due to such, is what these investigations are centered around. The effects of that option 100% of Microsoft's choosing, to take in order to do what you prescribe. MS could have just as easily negotiated timed exclusivity with several such games to Xbox & GamePass platforms, or co-funded big 3P AAA games for console exclusivity, and accomplished the same effect at a much cheaper rate and with zero need for regulators to investigate.

Just like that sink in.

Last edited:

CeeJay

I'd disagree on the basis of PSVR2 and their expansion into the PC market being major initiatives designed to access a wider userbase and grow the industry.

Lets face it, MS is only investing because of GamePass. They want to gatekeep across console, pc, and mobile. The bigger they get, the more air they are aiming to suck out of the room on all those platforms. Their pitch is based on commodity facilitating better value proposition, making everyone outside of it look like a worse deal.

As I've pointed out repeatedly, its a sweet deal for consumers in the short term, while still in the growth phase, but long-term... you need to ask yourself how have similar offerings in movies and music evolved over time and have they overall been beneficial.
So Sony putting some select games on PC many months after release is good for the industry but Microsoft putting every game on PC day and date is them wanting to gatekeep?

So lets take a look how many games they each have on the biggest independent PC store, Steam. This takes Gamepass and gatekeeping out of the equation right?

Xbox Game Studios - 216 products (of which 51 are games)
Playstation Studios - 36 products (only 8 are games)

Nope, your counter-argument holds no water whatsoever.

kyliethicc

What? 😆
You serious?
yeah Sony rely on 3rd party games like CoD, GTA, Fortnite, and FIFA that allows them to spend crazy amounts of money on their single player games. The platform money coming in lets Sony mitigate the risk of huge investment into risky singleplayer games that take 4-5 years & 100+ million dollars to develop.

Even if their own service games hit, they still have to spend to make those. Their CoD & Fortnite money is basically free. It’s steady, reliable, and a huge portion of their revenues. Sony’s single biggest source of revenue is microtransactions and DLC.

Jimbo isn’t gonna keep taking the risk of dumping 100-200 million over 4-5 years into as many games like TLOU2, HFW, and GoWR if they don’t have the huge, low risk and low cost, steady platform money coming in from 3rd party monsters like CoD.

And of the 47 million Plus subs, millions of those are just CoD bros. That’s another huge source of steady revenue they rely on. This would be another hit they’d have to adjust around. They’d end up cutting back on investment in their risky departments: product development being one of them.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
On a serious note, this really means very little to me. I own both an Xbox series S and and a PS5.

However, from a competition standpoint it's a little worrying. Moneyhatting an exclusive game or even buying a developer studio is not on the same scale as buying not one but TWO publishers! Some of the biggest IPs in gaming history are now Xbox exclusive. COD, Diablo, Elder Scrolls, Doom, Fallout and a ton more will now only be on one console. I don't see how this is a positive for gamers? I know all of these games are on PC, but not many people can afford a gaming rig, especially in a time of economic hardship.

Yoboman

Sony is without a doubt the biggest bitch and most Karen platform owner in the industry. They use money to keep games exclusive to their platforms, they use money to keep games off of certain other platforms (ie. Nintendo), they make other publishers promise not to let their games go to Game Pass, etc., and so what else do they probably do? It wouldn't at all surprise me to learn that they moneyhat other publishers into not putting their games on sale on Nintendo platforms and other similar tactics.

I may like Sony's products and video games, but I do not like how Sony conducts themselves with the competition. Too many bitch moves and the like. I personally don't even care whether MS owns Activision except or unless it means we get some really awesome games as a result of focusing on a single platform.
Nothing beats the biggest bitch move in gaming history of buying two of the biggest publishers in gaming after getting beaten four gens in a row

Leyasu

Banned
GamePass is a terrible business model because it’s in no way self sustaining and requires huge subsidies to make it work.

Google just didn’t want to eat the cost like MS is with GamePass
You have absolutely no idea if you are bang on or just talking out of your arse with that statement

You have not the faintest idea how much it is bringing in per month and for what they are using the revenue.

When I read posts like this just remind me of the Sony exec pr that quality might suffer if they put their games day one on plus.

Last edited by a moderator:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
On a serious note, this really means very little to me. I own both an Xbox series S and and a PS5.

However, from a competition standpoint it's a little worrying. Moneyhatting an exclusive game or even buying a developer studio is not on the same scale as buying not one but TWO publishers! Some of the biggest IPs in gaming history are now Xbox exclusive. COD, Diablo, Elder Scrolls, Doom, Fallout and a ton more will now only be on one console. I don't see how this is a positive for gamers? I know all of these games are on PC, but not many people can afford a gaming rig, especially in a time of economic hardship.
Assumptions.

MS bought Mojang long time ago and Bethesda two years ago. No games have changed on any platform.

Will PS and Nintendo be cut off? Maybe. Maybe not. But at this time, it's not.

I I'm just gonna say this. (Because there is a lot of fan fiction and wet dream over here).

If sony has this position....Better have the receipts to prove it.

You have absolutely no idea if you are bang on or just talking out of your arse with that statement

You have not the faintest idea how much it is bringing in per month and for what they are using the revenue.

When I read posts like this (generally from the well known Sony shocktroopers)) they just remind me of the Sony exec pr that quality might suffer if they put their games day one on plus.

It’s common sense

Look at how many devs are on the payroll and how much GP + retail sales brings in.

Microsoft doesn’t run a cheap operation, but they are selling a cheap service that is “sustainable” (through MS coffers).

Their goal is very clearly to grow GP firstly and worry about long term profitability secondarily.

You cant have all these Microsoft first party games day one on GamePass while offering $50/yr subs and think they are profitable on that

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

When I read posts like this just remind me of the Sony exec pr that quality might suffer if they put their games day one on plus.
Exactly.

The argument is MS doesn't tell distinct Xbox or GP profit/loss statements, so they are losing money.

How does that hold up when Apple doesn't disclose P/L statements for their product lines either? Apple lumps in all their iPods, Macs, tablets, phones and watches into one giant profit number.

onesvenus

Why do you think a VR headset that needs a 500$ console to be played with and bringing PS games to PC will grow the industry?

I think we will be able to count with a single hand the number of people who don't have a console and buys a PS + PSVR2. The same can be said about people who have a PC but don't play games. How many of those will play them now due to Sony publishing their games on PC?

Cloud gaming could potentially grow the market much much more than any of Sony's initiatives

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It’s common sense

Look at how many devs are on the payroll and how much GP + retail sales brings in.

Microsoft doesn’t run a cheap operation, but they are selling a cheap service that is “sustainable” (through MS coffers).

Their goal is very clearly to grow GP firstly and worry about long term profitability secondarily.

You cant have all these Microsoft first party games day one on GamePass while offering $50/yr subs and think they are profitable on that
That's phenomenal set of five detailed and numbers driven sentences that prove Xbox's financials which arent disclosed.

Hey, Activision makes about $8 billions sales and $2 billion profit according to their latest data. There's your pool of profit to keep Xbox and GP going.

Leyasu

Banned
It’s common sense

Their goal to grow the service is obvious.

But again how much are they bringing in a month and what are they doing with it?

Top Bottom