• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announce a new Spider-Man universe movie: El Muerto

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Just learnt that Sony announced a new Spider-Man universe movies: El Muerto

Benito Antonio Martínez Ocasio, better known by his stage name Bad Bunny, has been cast as the newest Marvel hero in Sony Pictures’ portfolio of the super characters — and will lead the standalone comic book film “El Muerto.”

Known as Juan-Carlos Estrada Sanchez in the comics, El Muerto is a wrestler whose powers are handed down by ancestry in the form of a mask (which, according to Marvel’s official site, gives him superhuman strength). In past comic narratives, El Muerto has gotten in the ring with Spider-Man himself. On stage at CinemaCon, Sony brass suggested Ocasio will portray an antihero on the verge of inheriting his father’s power.

sliceypete

Awesome! we need more Hispanic superhero's in the marvel movies. I have a feeling Bad Bunny is also a good fit, he was entertaining to watch when he appeared WWE.

Nankatsu

rey mysterio wrestling GIF by WWE

Basically.

Ionian

So who dies? I like this Spiderman the best, he rocks the role. Tobey and his replacement did nothing for me. He's the closest to the comics.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Just how popular and widespread is that luchador stuff anyway? I feel like it is the lowest trope at this point, kinda like saying a random american urban kid gets his powers from his great grandfathers spurs and cowboy hat. Sure, America had those things but they are hardly relevant now. Surely there are better south/central/north american cultural touchstones that could be used?

sol_bad

You know it's gonna be a good film when they announce a song artist as the main star with barely any acting under his belt and don't have any screen writers or directors attached.

MastaKiiLA

I know Spidey is the goose that lays the golden eggs for Sony, and they've done a mostly masterful job with 6 of the 8 films they've made with him. However, I keep hearing that Morbius is a turd, and that's with an actor who, love him or hate him, actually has acting talent. Bad Bunny? Uh...I just realize he was in Narcos: Mexico, but he was that forgettable in it. I don't even know if he had any speaking lines. There are hundreds of talented latin/central american actors. You don't need to toss a lead role at a guy who was a background character in a grand total of 4 Narcos episodes. You don't need Bad Bunny's star power to sell the film. You can throw a Diego Luna, Michael Pena, Pedro Pascal, literally anyone else that we know can act. This feels like sending the film to die, before it even begins production.

My hope is that Bunny killed it in the audition, and that Feige gave his personal seal of approval. Without that, I have zero confidence in this being anything but a disaster.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
These Spiderman spinoffs from Sony are somehow trashier and schlockier than the Michael Bay Transformers flicks.

And just like those movies this is probably going to make a lot of money. Sigh.

sol_bad

I know Spidey is the goose that lays the golden eggs for Sony, and they've done a mostly masterful job with 6 of the 8 films they've made with him. However, I keep hearing that Morbius is a turd, and that's with an actor who, love him or hate him, actually has acting talent. Bad Bunny? Uh...I just realize he was in Narcos: Mexico, but he was that forgettable in it. I don't even know if he had any speaking lines. There are hundreds of talented latin/central american actors. You don't need to toss a lead role at a guy who was a background character in a grand total of 4 Narcos episodes. You don't need Bad Bunny's star power to sell the film. You can throw a Diego Luna, Michael Pena, Pedro Pascal, literally anyone else that we know can act. This feels like sending the film to die, before it even begins production.

My hope is that Bunny killed it in the audition, and that Feige gave his personal seal of approval. Without that, I have zero confidence in this being anything but a disaster.

Feige has nothing to do with Sony films. Unless it involves Tom Holland.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Sony has no shame. Come on guys. You cant keep making trash based off of Spiderman villains. Make some new stuff.

Sony Pictures used to be great. They produced Breaking Bad ffs. They need to go back and invest in creators instead of IPs.

sol_bad

Ah, thanks. I thought Feige would have some involvement, but I guess this character is not planned for the MCU then. He's only a part of the Spiderverse?

That is correct, same as Venom and Morbius basically. I still can't comprehend why Sony keep choosing anti-heroes/villains for their movies.

John Campea said they saw a clip of the Kraven movie at CinemaCon as well. He mentioned in the scene they saw that Kraven ran fast, made it sound like it was a super power. He isn't meant to have powers, at least in the comics I've read.
Sony really have no idea what they are doing.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
The list of Spider-Man villains who can carry a movie on their own is pretty short, and El Numero ain't on it. Venom, sure, he has had plenty of his own stories already. But Morbius didn't work at all, and now we're teeing up Kraven and El Muerto?

Even GOOD spidey villains like Green Goblin and Doc Oc couldn't carry a film on their own.

And there are so many higher on the list. Why not Kingpin? Tombstone? Characters people at least recognize even if they aren't comic nerds.

Top Bottom