• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Team: 2D>3D, Riders/Rush sequels, SOJ bosses, etc etc.

New interview

Full interview: http://games.kikizo.com/features/sega_sonicteam_sonic_iv_nov05_p1.asp

accompanying news story: http://games.kikizo.com/news/200511/143.asp

ssonicteamnov05350.jpg

Creators at Sega's famous Sonic Team development studio have revealed to Kikizo a secret passion for 2D games over the modern 3D style usually found in platform and action games today, and promised more Sonic spin-offs for the future. The full interview will be published later tonight.

Akinori Nishiyama is the charismatic creator behind the highly acclaimed new Nintendo DS title, Sonic Rush. A vocal defendant of 2D gaming, we found that Mr Nishiyama had some interesting ideas about where Sonic should be spinning to next.

He explained: "These days the consoles are becoming much stronger, and on the PS2 it's pretty much entirely about 3D games. But I think there's still space for 2D, especially on the portable systems like DS. I want to keep this tradition going as much as I can for our videogames."

So-called 2D videogames, which often provide simpler and more precise gameplay design than in many modern 3D equivalents across many gaming genres, still have a devoted following, particularly with fighting titles such as Street Fighter and King of Fighters.

Nishiyama seems to be one such follower: "Personally speaking, I think 2D games would be preferable for many users. I believe that in 2D games, say for example shooting games, you have to be careful of the slightest space on the screen and think in terms of how many pixels of space you have to manoeuvre. 3D games are never going to be like that; they are often very much about more fluid action. I think 2D games are more fun a lot of the time. However, from the graphical point of view, more than anything else, gamers will usually go for 3D. Our best hope is to have both coexisting."

So in that case, fans can expect a sequel to the 2D Nintendo DS game - a Sonic Rush 2, right? "Hopefully! I think users will expect it, so if there's demand, they can make it happen."

Another senior Sonic Team producer is Takashi Yuda, who has been working on the upcoming Sonic racing game, Sonic Riders. Why a Sonic racing game, and why now? "Sonic fans have been asking us to make a racing game for about ten years! So by public demand, we thought it was a good idea."

But Sonic and friends aren't in Ferraris in this racing game; they're on Back to the Future-style 'airboards'. Yuda explains, "I was not interested in making a conventional racing game. I wanted to make something different and dynamic, and we came up with new ideas this way. We thought things like surfing and snowboarding have more flexibility to allow you to do tricks and things."

With a major new Sonic the Hedgehog game scheduled for release on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 next year (first revealed exclusively by Kikizo) it seems there's still a lot of life in for the Sega mascot as he approaches his fifteenth birthday. So what else is there to look forward to?

Yuda reveals, "Sonic Riders is also going to have some sequels, which will appear on next generation consoles. We're also trying to see if we can come up with more Sonic franchises - not just racing games like Riders - but other ideas as well, something suitable for fans. So, I don't think there will be a Sonic Golf, for example..."

Good news all around, then.

More in interview itself.

M3wThr33

Banned
Pfft. Why don't they just give us what we want? Sonic in Mario Kart and Smash Brothers. If they're going to whore him out, at least put him in good series.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
So in that case, fans can expect a sequel to the 2D Nintendo DS game - a Sonic Rush 2, right? "Hopefully! I think users will expect it, so if there's demand, they can make it happen."
yes please and eliminate the bottom less pits :p

M3wThr33 said:
Pfft. Why don't they just give us what we want? Sonic in Mario Kart and Smash Brothers. If they're going to whore him out, at least put him in good series.
Yeah then we can have all the whored out mascots in one place.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Looks like Sega is giving Sonic the Mario treatment. Anyway, bring on Sonic Rush 2: MUCH LESS BOTTOMLESS PIT PLZ!! I look forward to playing it. :D

Yuda reveals, "Sonic Riders is also going to have some sequels, which will appear on next generation consoles. We're also trying to see if we can come up with more Sonic franchises - not just racing games like Riders - but other ideas as well, something suitable for fans. So, I don't think there will be a Sonic Golf, for example..."

glore145al.jpg

:lol

Mihail

Banned
Error2k4 said:
yes please and eliminate the bottom less pits :p
I was just replaying through Sonic 2 (Genesis) and bottomless pits are good if used right. Rush just makes a poor job of it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Sonic Rush was good, but I really really really want to see another 2D Sonic created for something that ISN'T the DS or GBA. Make a damn PS2 game or something. I don't care, just get it away from those terrible screens. Sonic Rush LOOKS so damn dull to me and I blame the screens on the Nintendo DS.

I just got the import Sonic Rush in the mail today (English text but Japanese voices, huzzah!), and I've enjoyed it, but it is weird how some sections of levels have this great multi-level branching structure where if you do really well, you're rewarded, but if not, you fall a bit and can still continue, but then you slam into a bit usually near the end of the stage where you have to totally slow down and do some careful platform hopping, and one goof means you fall for 3-4 seconds straight with no way to save yourself before you die, and repeat. It's really strange, but maybe those sections are covered if you change the difficulty to Easy or something.

So, I don't think there will be a Sonic Golf, for example...

Besides the two Sonic Café titles for cell phones ?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
dark10x said:
Sonic Rush was good, but I really really really want to see another 2D Sonic created for something that ISN'T the DS or GBA. Make a damn PS2 game or something. I don't care, just get it away from those terrible screens. Sonic Rush LOOKS so damn dull to me and I blame the screens on the Nintendo DS.
:lol I swear I read the same thing like 10 times already.

goodcow

Alright, I think this interview holds the key as to why Sega has been shit the past few years... it's clear Naka thinks he knows what the fuck he's doing, but that's absolutely wrong, and he should go back to programming, and nothing else.

Yuda: Well, there is no title in Sega that Naka-san is not involved with. He would never let a team get on with things with no supervision at all. With Sonic Riders, I can't remember exactly what bits he give advice for, but there definitely was some input from him in places and at the beginning.

Yuda: Well basically, both Nagoshi-san and Suzuki-san are reporting to Naka-san. Nagoshi-san is actually responsible for the whole New Entertainment department. And Suzuki-san, is in charge of his own stuff - in his own game development. So, basically Nagoshi-san is still working under Naka-san, but then again, Suzuki-san has his own authority as well.

jman2050

goodcow said:
Alright, I think this interview holds the key as to why Sega has been shit the past few years... it's clear Naka thinks he knows what the fuck he's doing, but that's absolutely wrong, and he should go back to programming, and nothing else.

I've been saying this for years.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Himuro said:
<3

I want another console 2d sonic. Hi res please.
Like Konami and 2D Castlevania, Sega probably wouldn't publish it on current, muchless next, generation consoles. And Sony wants developers to do 3D on the PSP as well. I bet if Capcom didn't have so many other titles in development for the PSP as well, Sony would rather they do more 3D titles for the system.

jarrod

Banned
Er, why would the heads of New Entertainment report to the head of General Entertainment? Seems strange since the R&D teams are suppossed to be entirely seperate... unless Naka's actually overseeing all game development at SEGA (similar to Miyamotot at Nintendo or Itagaki at Tecmo)?

SolidSnakex said:
"Yuda: Well basically, both Nagoshi-san and Suzuki-san are reporting to Naka-san."

No wonder Mizuguchi bailed out.
Miz would've been in an entirely different situation. Not reporting to Naka, but actually demoted to working directly under him... I woulda bailed too.

jarrod said:
Miz would've been in an entirely different situation. Not reporting to Naka, but actually demoted to working directly under him... I woulda bailed too.

Shenmue must've really damaged Suzuki's reputation there if even he's gotta report to Naka.

monkeyrun

he is officially out of his mind .........

jarrod

Banned
SonicMegaDrive said:
More of Sonic Rush, please.

I would like at least 2 more of these before the DS dies.

Keep the dream alive!
With the Advance trilogy still selling like crazy, I'd expect Rush 2-3 are almost certain. We'll probably see some DS Sonic spinoffs too.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Shenmue must've really damaged Suzuki's reputation there if even he's gotta report to Naka.
Basically. I'm shocked he hasn't left to form his own company yet honestly... Nagoshi looks to have surpassed him in stature internally at this point.

D-X

monkeyrun said:
he is officially out of his mind .........
With dev costs and time increasing next gen Sega need to pump out Sonic games to keep the cash rolling in - lets face it aside from VF nothing else from Sega really sells and a new VF isn't gonna start being an annual event any time soon. It appears they will make 1-2 cheaper spinoff titles per year as a stop gap between the real Sonic games. You thought Shadow was bad give it a couple of years when they're scraping at the bottom of the barrel releasing Cream Adventure and Sonic Riders 4...

jarrod said:
Basically. I'm shocked he hasn't left to form his own company yet honestly... Nagoshi looks to have surpassed him in stature internally at this point.

Suzuki is not in a position most people believe he is, or that which he used to be. Why do you think things have been so quiet on the Suzuki so front for so long... things will start to make sense soon. Maybe (this is Sega we're talking about). But I think the comments in this interview are somewhat revealing. There is more where this came from...

Soul4ger

Soul4ger says: Make more NiGHTS. Why doesn't anyone ask about the feasibility of a game like NiGHTS on one of the new handhelds?

Soul4ger said:
Soul4ger says: Make more NiGHTS. Why doesn't anyone ask about the feasibility of a game like NiGHTS on one of the new handhelds?

People ask this in every interview for the last five years. It's just getting boring/embarrasing.

Soul4ger

KyotoMecca said:
People ask this in every interview for the last five years. It's just getting boring/embarrasing.

People knew about the DS and PSP five years ago? :( Where have I been? :(

PG2G

Ugh, if they make a new NiGHTS, it had better not be on some crappy handheld.

That said, you could always ask about Burning Rangers. They always said they'd look at making a sequel when the tech was there.

jarrod

Banned
KyotoMecca said:
Suzuki is not in a position most people believe he is, or that which he used to be. Why do you think things have been so quiet on the Suzuki so front for so long... things will start to make sense soon. Maybe (this is Sega we're talking about). But I think the comments in this interview are somewhat revealing. There is more where this came from...
And are Psy-Phi or Shenmue Online are a good indication of where he's headed? :p

I dunno, the general talk I've heard is that Suzuki's been basically "exiled" to his own small insulated team, where he can't make much trouble. He's no longer heading SEGA's premier R&D division, he has a tiny staff forcing him to rely on external development support, he's been pretty withdrawn at public events while Naka and Nagoshi hog the spotlight... people have been saying for awhile that Suzuki seems "out of it".

Top Bottom