• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mobile Ports now Natively Playable on PC

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Sonic 1 and 2's Taxman/Stealth ports? Running *natively* on PC!? No more Android emulators, or iPad recording solutions - they're finally on PC!

RDC recently released a Sonic CD decompilation, which allowed folks to bypass the terrible PC port of the 2011 remake. As it turns out that was just the starter - the main course was this! An actual, honest to god, native PC port of both Sonic 1 and 2's 2013 remakes. For once, the Fans Actually Did What SEGAin't.

Right now it's a little barebones in terms of frontend, as the fancy mobile menus were separate C wrappers or something. But the full games are here, with all of their options and even support for modding by similar means to Mania and SCD.

To use this, you'll need an APK for Sonic 1 and 2. These can be opened like a .zip file, and you'll find a data.rsdk.xmf file inside. Extract it into the folder of the decomp .exe, and remove the .xmf from the end. And then you should boot into the (internal) menu, ready to play some hechhoeg.

YCoCg

It was always stupid that SEGA never released these versions anywhere, I mean FFS, Sonic 2 includes a new level based on an unfinished cut one!

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Apple M1 ARM based macmini's and macbook's can run IOS apps natively.. i tried this last night. I played sonic 1 2 and cd on my MBP with a controller. fullscreen

Last edited:

SCB3

I do wish these were included on a collection on Switch or something, but hey PC ports are good

D.Final

Banned

Sonic 1 and 2's Taxman/Stealth ports? Running *natively* on PC!? No more Android emulators, or iPad recording solutions - they're finally on PC!

RDC recently released a Sonic CD decompilation, which allowed folks to bypass the terrible PC port of the 2011 remake. As it turns out that was just the starter - the main course was this! An actual, honest to god, native PC port of both Sonic 1 and 2's 2013 remakes. For once, the Fans Actually Did What SEGAin't.

Right now it's a little barebones in terms of frontend, as the fancy mobile menus were separate C wrappers or something. But the full games are here, with all of their options and even support for modding by similar means to Mania and SCD.

To use this, you'll need an APK for Sonic 1 and 2. These can be opened like a .zip file, and you'll find a data.rsdk.xmf file inside. Extract it into the folder of the decomp .exe, and remove the .xmf from the end. And then you should boot into the (internal) menu, ready to play some hechhoeg.

A really cool thing, indeed

Top Bottom