• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

Gin-Shiio

I'm ready for my first Knuckles run. I'm really loving this game :)

image.php

Um... stand on an incline in real life and try jumping like you would when you're on a flat surface. You'll basically be doing the exact same thing Sonic is doing.

You're wrong. If you're standing on an incline, you are still standing straight up. Gravity doesn't change depending on what angle the ground is.

By your logic, humans could walk up walls because gravity would go sideways.

You're wrong. If you're standing on an incline, you are still standing straight up. Gravity doesn't change depending on what angle the ground is.

What does gravity have to do with launch angles?

If you were standing on an incline with both legs straight and jumped, you launch perpendicular to the surface you jump off of.

By your logic it would be impossible to launch a surface to air missile in any direction but straight up.

Falk

that puzzling face
In all seriousness, Sonic, its physics, game design, gimmicks, level design, etc. all take into account that when the player presses the jump button, it adds velocity in a vector that's perpendicular to the surface the character is on. That's basically it.

Asking for jump to propel upwards regardless of incline is asking for Sonic physics to stop being Sonic physics.

If this is prompted by trying to jump to clear a half-pipe when you only reach halfway up due to lack of momentum, I'm not sure if I can really say anything else without sounding unintentionally condescending so I'll just shut up. :|

WPS

You do realise that the act of jumping is kicking off from the surface you are standing on, and not just magically defying gravity, right?

Has there been any word on a physical release on this title? I really don't want to go digital for this title for collecting purposes, and I refuse to double dip until the physical release is shot down 100%. Last news I see is gamestop leaks for listings and the general belief that it will happen.

Berordn

Has there been any word on a physical release on this title? I really don't want to go digital for this title for collecting purposes, and I refuse to double dip until the physical release is shot down 100%. Last news I see is gamestop leaks for listings and the general belief that it will happen.

Sega is aware of the demand is all we know.

It seems unlikely to me until after Forces is off of retail shelves, and after that it might be too late.

You do realise that the act of jumping is kicking off from the surface you are standing on, and not just magically defying gravity, right?
Another one? You can't be serious.

When playing the game, have Sonic stand still on an incline and press A. He jumps wrong, and always did.

By your logic it would be impossible to launch a surface to air missile in any direction but straight up.
Energy for the missile is sent in the opposite direction to force the missile to move. If I'm at a slope in Sonic and press nothing except A, the energy should be pushing straight down to send Sonic in the opposite direction, but the angle of the ground incorrectly affects the jump every time.

These Sonic fanboys are on another planet.

Tank Jr.

Neo Member
The boss requires some balls. I have to say it was a bit of a thrill but it only took a couple of tries for me. Not overly difficult but one where I'd be surprised if anyone got it on the first go.

That would practically apply to anybody who's played Sonic 2 at least once because that boss is 95% repeating what the original Oil Ocean boss did. The inclusion of the Lava Reef orbs make it a touch harder.

Genuinely surprised at all the people who think this game is some kind of mountain. I finished my first playthrough with 42 lives (a good handful lost along the way) and 0 game overs.

MegalonJJ

Banned
In all seriousness, Sonic, its physics, game design, gimmicks, level design, etc. all take into account that when the player presses the jump button, it adds velocity in a vector that's perpendicular to the surface the character is on. That's basically it.

Asking for jump to propel upwards regardless of incline is asking for Sonic physics to stop being Sonic physics.

If this is prompted by trying to jump to clear a half-pipe when you only reach halfway up due to lack of momentum, I'm not sure if I can really say anything else without sounding unintentionally condescending so I'll just shut up. :|

Will there be a soundtrack release on CD?

nded

When playing the game, have Sonic stand still on an incline and press A. He jumps wrong, and always did.

Energy for the missile is sent in the opposite direction to force the missile to move. If I'm at a slope in Sonic and press nothing except A, the energy should be pushing straight down to send Sonic in the opposite direction, but the angle of the ground incorrectly affects the jump every time.

This is hilarious.

I think if a Taxman 3+K remake ever gets released then a Taxman Sonic Jam containing 1,2,CD,3,K and Mania plus bonus features could justify a physical release. Hopefully it could import your original Mania save.

I'd definitely double dip for that.

I think if a Taxman 3+K remake ever gets released then a Taxman Sonic Jam containing 1,2,CD,3,K and Mania plus bonus features could justify a physical release. Hopefully it could import your original Mania save.

You mean like a Boss Rush Zone where you go through every single boss from all 6 games in a single run?

You mean like a Boss Rush Zone where you go through every single boss from all 6 games in a single run?

I was thinking more along the lines of museum type stuff, art, documents etc. But yeah I'm sure a Boss Rush mode is doable, he'll maybe even one Mega no-save mode where you can try to play all the way through 1 all the way to Mania.

It (basically) maps 1:1 to Newtonian laws, so all complaints should probably be addressed to God.

So Tails is supposed to be the easy mode, right?
Yes. Unless you can local co-op (sonic+tails), which is easiest mode.

Shadio

Sonic Mania alone justifies a physical release. Sega's just being a silly.

It's a shame Mania doesn't have boss time trials, or even special stage trials like CD. There isn't much room for huge variations in times, but it'd be a nice tool for replaying them whenever you wanted.

...Or a "LOCK-ON" mode where it links all the games to create single playthrough adventure from SONIC 1 -> SONIC 2 -> SONIC 3 -> SONIC & KNUCKLES (and maybe SONIC CD if they could figure out where to put it, although maybe keep it separate as the play style is ever so slightly different and may break up the momentum)

I can't tell if you got banned over this post, but please try to do what I said for you to do in real life. You wouldn't be jumping straight up, that's for sure.

Mothman91

Go to the game directory (default is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sonic Mania") and open up settings.ini
Change the options in the [Video] section to look like this, with width and height set to match your screen's resolution:
Code:
windowed=y
border=n
exclusiveFS=n
vsync=n
tripleBuffering=n
winWidth=3440
winHeight=1440

Thank you so much.

I wish they'd left the flicker attack from 3&K in. I don't want to play no save mode.

That attack always gave me that extra pixel I needed.

Sonic's insta shield? I remember reading that the mania version doesn't increase range but maybe I am wrong, i've yet to try it myself in no save mode.

Top Bottom