• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Lost Worlds Debut Trailer [Up: Wii U + 3DS screenshots]

Kimawolf

Yeah I hate those goofy bosses, wish they went back to Robotnik and his different contraptions. But all in all it looks really good and should be really fun to play.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Yeah, I'm interested now. Looks like an awesome Mario Galaxy-like version of Sonic. Will keep an eye out for this one.

steveovig

It reminds me a lot of Mario Galaxy and I hope it comes close to being as good as that. I'm a little worried that it'll be more 3D than 2D but we'll see. I am impressed though, looks fun.

Lasdrub

I'm excited to see the smelly ghost making a come back

Smelly_Ghost.png

Darryl

Banned
It almost seems too apparent what Sonic Team was citing as far as "quirky boss squads" go.

That aside, the game does look nice. Albeit I wish it focused less on boosting. Hope there are at least multiple paths through the levels, like Colors.

koopa kids, world map looks like NSMB:U, galaxy style gameplay

they're copying Mario in just about every way possible so far

stay gold

Space Jam vibes from the gang of enemies haha. Lots of potential in the trailer, how it pans out, as always, remains to be seen. I must give Generations a go someday.

I love how it looks, though. I love those models. Reminds me a lot of the original premise of Sonic X-treme, really.

That's another thing too. I'm happy they reworked the idea of Sonic X-treme because the first test stages I saw on Youtube really didn't look fluid enough for a Sonic game.

Another thing that bothers me is the way the art style is moving again. I love bright colors and minimalist styles, but... It's starting not to feel like Sonic anymore. Even the new enemies feel outta place, even boring outside of the fact that they're rocking bright ass colors. As much as I love to see the checkered fields, It's hard to appreciate it after seeing a well done environment. Maybe all the things I liked seeing in Sonic Unleashed is getting to me. Because I keep looking at the video and wondering if it's actually progress. I was excited for new abilities/mechanics however.... but it's all feeling questionable as of now.

Past games despite the hate towards "shitty friends" atleast tried to introduce memorable characters. Now...... we get... "The Deadly Six" and the return of the flickies and tiny animals from the past (damn near made me think it was gonna be a Sonic x Billy Hatcher crossover).

If it's got some style maybe. But I kinda saw newer Sonic games in the sense of old DMC. Fast Paced, intense, and stylish gameplay. So... I just have to hope that Sonic doesn't become as bland as the new Pac-Man (which looks marvelous, but the gameplay doesn't look too attractive.)

Alienous

This looks like Sonic Xtreme.

Which means that Nintendo has gotten, exclusive to their consoles, the continuation of a game that was intended to kill Mario 64.

Its quite possible the wall grab is there to replace just running headfirst into a wall and coming to a dead stop. You forget to jump in time when you come to a wall? Sonic runs up it instead, helping to keep the games pace. This would be especially important as a method to keep momentum if boosting is gone , as the gameplay sections didn't seem to have a boost bar.

I'm all for that . Great if true indeed as a mean to keep the pace even during the level. However watching the vid again that was still boosters in the levels. So unles stated otherwise i'm going on the assumption that boosting is still there even if they could limit it in his usage.
Anyway for the grab to work , it should be either cancellable into a jump or be faster into putting sonic in the right position because it was too slow in this trailer.

Kyzon

Yup, came to post this.

At the same time I don't trust sonic team to put decent platforming physics. They are even worse than LBP.

And I guess i was right about the shitty friends....

ibrWprOyzdW4dN.gif

The end of this gif cracked me up so much!

What are the chances we'll get 1-2 tracks by Crush 40? I'd like the music to be mostly a homage to Classic Sonic's style, but with a modern twist. At the same time though, Sonic Adventure 2 has some of my favorite Sonic music of all time.

Who am I kidding though.. Tenderoni will be in every stage.

So this is the cgi for art direction comparison :
SonicU.jpg

and the game:
SonicU%27.jpg

I don't know.. It's weird, probably really early or intentional but it looks pretty simple and lame in term of model/shader/light...

Even compared to Mario Galaxy actually.
sanic3icdb.gif

Its not a technical showpiece or anything but everything looks fine in motion. Gameplay wise it might be the best 3D Sonic I've seen yet.

Color (lol) me impressed. Looks fun!

P.S. How were Sonic Colors and Generations? I haven't tried Sonic since the two Dreamcast games (which were pretty fun, especially the second one).

Guys, I'm calling it now: Yasuhara is heavily involved, this reminds me of Pac-Man Party, Jak & Daxter, and the classic Sonic games, all of which he worked on (directed and did level design IIRC), there's just something about the aesthetic that rings Yasuhara.

And the visuals and such could indicate 60fps, which if so, FUCKING GOD DAMN, we've been without 60fps Sonic for too long.

RM8

People complaining about the graphics are making me nervous about this being a 3DS up-port. Not because it'll be bad, but because I want a strictly 2D game on 3DS :(

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Looks really intriguing and I like the in-engine art style a lot.

Sonic Colors was better than Generations IMO because it balanced 2D and 3D sections well. Generations suffered from separate stages that were mostly 3D and Sonic Team still hasn't figured out a way to make Sonic control in a fluid manner in 3D. Colors minimized the damage by only using 3D for a few places where it worked well.

The gameplay here almost looks as if they've further re-thought how Sonic moves during 3D segments. If they can finally solve that problem they may have struck gold.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Guys, I'm calling it now: Yasuhara is heavily involved, this reminds me of Pac-Man Party, Jak & Daxter, and the classic Sonic games, all of which he worked on (directed and did level design IIRC), there's just something about the aesthetic that rings Yasuhara.

And the visuals and such could indicate 60fps, which if so, FUCKING GOD DAMN, we've been without 60fps Sonic for too long.

My copy of Sonic Generations does. And looks far better graphically.

Sacul64

Banned
I am wondering is this is going to be some kind of 3D remake of Sonic 1 or if the Green Hill level is just being used as an intro stage then Sonic and Tails follow the enemies to the Lost World, and Knuckles is there because the Guardians tricked him. I would like that.

nice gif, you did a better job than me.

Honestly, that does look like an aesthetic showcase at least. It honestly looks better aesthetically than any 3D Sonic.
I really like the blocky patches of grass sticking out. It keeps the whole patchwork motif of Green Hill Zone.

guek

Banned
Can't really judge well on my phone but I wouldn't be surprised if this actually started development on wii. Dem last gen graffixx

Otherwise, I love the art style and am definitely intrigued. Mario + Sonic ftw in 2013

jwhit28

I like the simpler presentation. My biggest problem with the 3D sections of Colors and Generations was that there is so much clutter going by so fast that it just made me not want to bother with looking for hidden paths or anything like that.

Top Bottom